Details

November 19
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Looking For Tablet Recommendations

:iconrandomuser56:
randomuser56 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2020
I'm looking to start doing digital drawing. What would people here recommend for someone who is completely new to digital drawing. In addition what drawing software would you recommend. (I use Paint.Net and GIMP currently for editing and cropping).

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconabbeysisland:
Abbeysisland Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Whatever you do, don't buy a Parblo. It's junk. 
:iconmariah1902:
mariah1902 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020
Most people draw in paint and that it. they do not use other softwares. 
:iconshinyfeather22:
shinyfeather22 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020  Student General Artist
I like to chisel my heiroglyphs onto a sandstone tablet, but clay is more malleable.
:iconblunell:
Blunell Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020
:lmao: :thumbsup:
:iconthehaxman:
TheHaxMan Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2020  Student Filmographer
As the other commenter said, Paint tool sai 2, and a display tablet with a screen. Huion and Gaomon make nice ones. I personally have a Huion GT 191.
:iconblunell:
Blunell Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2020
First, for the hardware, I'd recommend investing in a tablet with a built-in screen. Sure, it's more expensive, especially for a first tablet, but nothing beats the ability to see what you draw directly, without needing to spend weeks (if not months) trying to build a decent eye-hand de-coordination. As someone who started out digital art with an Intuos 4M (so I had to learn moving my hand while watching my laptop's screen), I can tell such a setup brings a lot of frustration and can be a real creativity killer.

Wacom products are expensive, but fortunately there are good models with built-in screens by Huion at a much reasonable price, like the Kamvas tablets which are available in different sizes. I just ordered a Kamvas Pro 20 2019 for $400 in replacement of my Cintiq 13HD, because there are currently big discounts on Amazon and other online shops (before the usual re-raise of prices for Black Friday :lol:)

And if such an investment still seems like a lot - especially if, lets's say, you find out digital art is not your thing after a while, you can always resell the tablet later. If you didn't use it much and took good care of it, you can hope to get up to 70% of its price back. I know for example that Wacom models are sturdy enough to last a good while: my current Cintiq doesn't have a single scratch on it despite years of use without a screen protector (but I wouldn't recommend this model or any other that has a 3-in-1 cable, because once those are defective, the whole tablet can go to the trash bin if the cables stop being manufactured).

As for the software, I'm personally biased towards Paint Tool SAI: it's $50, but very lightweight, and easy to use for beginners. Plus it has an excellent stabilizer, hence why it's more suited for people for whom a neat linework is important. The lines in SAI are naturally smooth and very reactive to pressure, with the possibility to choose the exact edge hardness and tapering amount you want, as well as lineart-specific layers (never tried those, though).
Sure, it doesn't have all the mind-blowing options from Photoshop, but the most recent version includes the possibility to use or even create custom brushes, which makes it a very decent software for painting too.
:icontsumuro:
Tsumuro Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Drawing tabled depends on your budget. As for software I'd highly recommend Clip Studio Paint. It's almost black friday so I think they will do a discount soon.
Add a Comment: