Details

September 14
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Graphic Tablets on a Budget?

:iconcaniswolfred:
CanisWolfred Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm fairly new to digital art, which I've mainly been doing thanks to a cheap drawing tablet I purchased last year. However, I'll admit, it is pretty unnatural looking away from my hands when I draw, and my desk isn't exactly suited to the task ergonomically, so I'm looking into purchasing a graphics tablet over the holidays.

Unfortunately, Wacom is most definitely outside my price range (except for the One, which I can't use), so I was wondering if anyone here had suggestions, or least some input on mid-range tablets that are often priced under $500 USD? I'll admit, I get a bit confused trying to navigate all this tech lingo.

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:icon1219wlb:
1219wlb Featured By Owner 6 days ago
Why don't you consider getting a used Wacom from Amazon or local sale? I have a basic small Wacom Pen and Touch CTH-480 that has served me well and cost $100.00 new in Canada a few years ago. Your, USA, prices are usually 20% to 30% lower.
:iconstephenl:
StephenL Featured By Owner Sep 18, 2020
Wacom is not the best tool in the shed especially if you want divesity for use with different operating system.    Over the years I found Wacom to poorly support a lot of Linux operating systems where I could not get the tablet to work.   

From my personal experience the tablet that worked well with all operating systems was the Huion 690.   Warning, the newer Huion tablets are a problem with Linux operating systems yet work well with Windows 10.    Sometime in the future many Linux operating systems may through updates and upgrades of their operating systems add drivers that work well with Linux yet at this point today 09/18/20 the Linux drivers for pens such as the H610PRO V2 do not work on Debian or Fedora.    The Huion 690 is a pen tablet and no longer available at Huion yet may be available with a diligent web internet search somewhere, there are probably some smaller electronics retailers out there that still have some in stock, or E-Bay.
:iconrhiethreal:
Rhiethreal Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Wacom one being able to work with mobile devices doesn't mean it isn't usable on desktop.

Anyway, another one that gets a lot of good reviews is the Huion Kamvas 13.  It is around half the price too.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2020  Professional Artist
Did you want one with a display or just pen input?
Display, the other kind is what I'm trying to move away from.
:icondaraujo92:
daraujo92 Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
Right now this one has a discount and the reviews seem to point that is a great one, I have an Artist 22R Pro and I LOVE IT!!

www.storexppen.com/buy/innovat…
CanisWolfred Featured By Owner Edited Sep 14, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That actually seems to check all my boxes, yeah! The drawing tablet I currently own is XP-Pen, too, so at least I won't have to worry about compatibility issues. I'll order it tonight, thank you so much!
:iconmoxiee:
moxiee Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2020  Student Traditional Artist
Lucky for you I was researching the same thing. 
This XP Pen looks nice but it was a little too small for what it is IMO. www.amazon.com/XP-PEN-Artist12…

This one might be better. www.amazon.com/HUION-Kamvas-Ba…

Another good one. www.amazon.com/Graphic-Drawing…

Why can't you use the Wacom One?
The Wacom One appears to be optimized for mobile devices, and I don't own any that it can connect to.
moxiee Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Student Traditional Artist
I think you can use it on pc too.
CanisWolfred Featured By Owner Edited Sep 17, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Oh. I got confused by their advertising before, but looking at the official website does indicate that it can work on PC. Well, something to keep in mind in case I have to return the one I just bought for whatever reason. Thank you for clearing that up.
moxiee Featured By Owner Sep 21, 2020  Student Traditional Artist
Ok.
Add a Comment: