Details

October 12
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

Sprayed a cleaner onto my screen monitor

:icongameressence:
Gameressence Featured By Owner 4 days ago
I was kinda tired and forget you're suppose to spray the cleaner onto a napkin and wipe, not directly spray it. I made the mistake of spraying it with a cleaner and now it has a cloud on the screen.What do I do?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:icongpad:
GPAD Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Student Digital Artist
Get a cloth(preferably 100% cotton like a shirt) and wipe your screen.
Make sure it's been off for a few hours before doing it so the screen is cold. Colder water doesn't run as much as hot water so there's a slightly lower risk of pushing on the screen with the cloth making the water go deeper.

Alternatively you can try unplugging it and leaving it in an air conditioned room, or at least next to a dehumidifier(but don't put it right in front of the monitor or you'll fry something by accident). The idea is that dehumidifiers and air conditioners can speed up the evaporation process. Unfortunately this will take days depending on how much fluid seeped into the screen.

That or you can just resort to a large scale rice trick(I know, that's a lot of rice). It will attract asians to fix your devices for you(okay sorry bad joke). Lay your monitor down(preferably in an orientation where the screen faces down so the water drips away from the electronics side) flat on some rice. If you haven't thrown away the box for the monitor you can probably fill that with the rice. Cover any screwholes or crannies where rice can get stuck on.

Just going to mention that I'm not an expert here and that I pretty much just summed up most replies answered by people in similar questions asked elsewhere. The only thing I really know is that you shouldn't turn it on anymore until it's pretty dry.
Gameressence Featured By Owner 3 days ago

[Ah okay thank you.]
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Edited 4 days ago
It might help if you post a photo of it. There are a few tricks, eraser, toothpaste, that basically amount to polishing the surface, but it has to be carefully done... what cleaner was it?

[A bathroom cleaner called Lysol.
I'll try to post a picture soon.]
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Edited 3 days ago
Ouch. So the surface is dulled and pitted rather than having had any moisture or product go under the surface, right?
You might want to to try this product: www.walmart.com/ip/Displex-Cla… - note that I have never tried this one and cannot vouch for it.
Otherwise, try using a *very tiny* amount of toothpaste (not gel, the 'whitening' kind is better) with moist (not wet) cotton balls. Set the monitor face-up, flat on a table, disconnected from power. Scrub with a circular motion, not too much pressure - work slowly and check the progress regularly. Hopefully, the cloudiness will disappear. Finally, clean the monitor, lightly scrubbing with moist paper toweling and just one drop of dish-washing liquid. Repeat 2 or 3 times with moist paper toweling without anything else added to remove all traces. Good luck. You can also dry-polish it at the end with cotton balls and light pressure. :)    
:iconbadrater:
Badrater Featured By Owner 4 days ago
I'd say just wipe it off with a cloth

[I can't its under the screen.]
:iconbadrater:
Badrater Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Oooooooh, right.....
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional Artist
Let it dry, it'll be fine

Or wipe it off with a clean cloth - the type you would use on eye glasses if you have it

[Are you sure? Greyish black spots that my cursor doesnt
appear over are showing up]
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional Artist
What did you spray it with? Did you like soak it?

[Yes. And it was a bathroom cleaner called Lysol]
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Professional Artist
Oh lol that was a really bad idea. You may have ruined your screen

If wiping it with a wet rag doesn't help you'll need a new screen

[Actually its not so bad right now. Some dead spots
appeared and faded. Some stayed but they haven't
spread. I can still use it and its still functional though.

Thanks for the help :3]
:iconbrodskales:
brodskales Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Writer
pray
lmao. it's not doing anything BAD to the screen but its just there. I think
over time it'll dry itself or something.]
Add a Comment: