Closed to new replies
January 4, 2009
Link

Statistics

Replies: 31

Wacom Bamboo Fun having issues with Pressure Sensitivity in PS CS

:iconkougaiji-mikotoyokai:
Kougaiji-Mikotoyokai Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2009
I've only had my Bamboo Fun for two weeks, since christmas, and it is already having issues. These issues only started today.

I've looked at the othere pressure sensitivty posts here on the board but did not find one that gave me a working answer, so I've decided to post my own in hopes of finding more answers that I may have overlooked.

For some reason, pressure sensitivity stopped working in Photoshop CS. I cannot explain why or how. It just stopped. I've gone into the brushes and looked at the shape dynamics, and set them to pen pressure, and that did not fix the issue. I've tried both locking and unlocking the settings to keep it from switching to default when I switch brushes. This did not fix the issue.

From what I can tell I did not change any settings. I cannot imagine anythign I could have done to make it stop working. At the time it stopped working I hadn't messed with any settings, in either the tablet settings or photoshop, or installed anything, of any kind.

After looking on google for some answers and finding none, I tried to reinstall the driver from Wacom's site. This did not fix the issue.

I've restarted photoshop many, many times. I've restarted my computer (both before and after installing the new drivers for vista), and the issues persist.

What worries me is that my tablet experienced a number of problems today, which are still unexplained, as I did not drop or harshly bump the pen or the tablet and I can't even begin to imagine what could have caused damaged to either, if that is the case.
The other issues experienced were mapping; the boundaries did not coordinate to the screen, but several hundred pixels below the top of the screen.
At one point, everything on the tablet stopped working. The buttons, it didn't even register the pen being on it even if it was setting directly on the surface, the scrolling, nothing registered as being used when it was used, but the light remained on to signify that the device was plugged in. I tried unplugging it, and also switching to a different USB port, and this did not work either.

The other problems that occurred earlier today were at random, and they did not last long. Within 45 minutes the problems corrected themselves somehow, and now the only issue is the pen sensivity in photoshop. It works in The GIMP, but not in photoshop. However, I don't prefer GIMP at all, and would like to avoid using it. It is rediculously slow and prevents me from using anything else on my computer without suffering dramatic lag and freezing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Fun on Windows Vista. I have the original Photoshop CS as a drawing program.

Devious Comments

:icondeshrubber:
deshrubber Featured By Owner Mar 18, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
Necro thread! :O

:lock:
:iconmostlywinter:
mostlywinter Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2010  Student
I'm going to join in and say mine's stopped working as well.
If I remove my preference files in the Pen Tablet Preference File Utility from the start menu, it works for about 5 minutes... but then the pressure sensitivity suddenly clicks off and, once again, it acts like a mouse (the cursor moves really fast, no sensitivity, and it is generally impossible to draw with).

I've disabled various things on the Device Manager, reinstalled and restarted and everything but it's not doing anything. It's driving me mad! I just want to draw *cries*

Maybe I just need to save up and buy a better tablet...
:iconlekipou:
LeKipou Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2010
Hello, I had the same problem and there is what I did:

- Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager
- Scroll down to Mouse and pointing devices
- Disable Wacom Mouse Monitor

Now I've got my eraser and pressure level back ;)
:iconnorble:
Norble Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2010
I still couldn't get it to work :( even with all of these suggestions
:iconotakuwolf:
Otakuwolf Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My Wacom Bamboo fun sensibility NEVER worked, i just plugged it in and doesen't work at all, and worst, THE ERASER doesen't work eighter, when i try to use the eraser, it uses the same tool ot the pen tip (brush), i'm desperate, what can i do T_T ?
:iconkrosbones:
krosbones Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2010
I just bought a new Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch. For the first few days it worked fine...then like everyone else the pressure sensitivity stopped working and I get a driver error every time I start CS3 or CorelDRAW. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
:iconkrosbones:
krosbones Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2010
I just bought a new Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch. For the first few days it worked fine...then like everyone else the pressure sensitivity stopped working and I get a driver error every time I start CS3 or CorelDRAW. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
:iconthislovestory:
thislovestory Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2010
Oh shoot. Sorry for bringing up a dead thread. D:
:iconthislovestory:
thislovestory Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2010
I am having literally the exact same problem. I got the Bamboo two weeks ago but it stopped working today. I guess I could check it somewhere else, but just yesterday it was working fine on Photoshop CS2. My eraser still erases, my pen still draws, there just isn't any pressure sensitivity. And I have been looking for the past hour for solutions and have tried most of them. It still doesn't work.
:iconkougaiji-mikotoyokai:
Well, I've fixed this issue, but only by taking the tablet back.
My tablet gradually got worse, until it was impossible to draw. Not just from pressure sensitivity, but because the cursor would rattle. Unfortunately, the fixes here did not work. Some worked temporarily, but in the end it still messed up. Unplugging it did not work, regardless for how long I left it unplugged. This was one of the first things that I tried, and would never work for mine.

I've exchanged the faulty tablet for a new one, and have not had any issues with the second one.
:iconskatergreene:
skatergreene Featured By Owner Jul 14, 2009  Student Traditional Artist
I found the EASIEST solution to the pressure sensitivity problem was to unplug your tablet, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, then restart Photoshop. It works EVERYTIME.
:iconsphynxette:
Sphynxette Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2009  Student Digital Artist
uh, no it doesn't. ;)
:iconskatergreene:
skatergreene Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2009  Student Traditional Artist
well it does for me. :D
:iconteh-kraken:
Teh-Kraken Featured By Owner Jun 1, 2009
Okay, this may be a solution! Worked for me :) This was on Windows XP by the way.

Basically, the problem is that when you plug in your Wacom tablet XP prioritizes its own drivers over the Wacom drivers, and thus you lose pressure sensitivity.

Make sure your tablet is unplugged.

Go to My Computer, right click and go down to properties, go to the hardware tab and hit 'Device Manager'. Scroll down to Human Interface Devices. In the drop down list, there should be ONE item that says 'HID-Compliant Device'. If there is two, you must ensure you know what each is. In any case, if there is one, right click on it and go down to disable. Follow the prompts (it should ask you to reset your computer after disabling). Boot up your favorite program (openCanvas, Photoshop, etc) and try it out!

Hope it works :)
:iconpho3nix-bf:
pho3nix-bf Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2010
Huh - I found this place via google as I alos had some problems with my Intuos 3 recently (probably the reason of it were bad drivers). Anyway - despite its an old topic - but maybe somebody will find it usefull - thats what helped me:

Remove Tablet drivers via Control Panel.

Additional thinges you may try along with it:
Use wacom removal tool from Wacom (additionaly)
Delete wacom folder, and all wacom settings in local settings of a user

Anyway - after that unplug the wacom.

And most important thing:

click start -> run -> type cmd -> click ok -> in console type: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 -> enter -> type: start devmgmt.msc -> enter

it will show u device manager with all hidden and not-present devices.

Scroll down to: HidDevices - open it and uninstall all (daded ant not faded) devices with Wacom name. Restart windows afterwards.

Install drivers again with wacom still unplugged. You may try some older version (atm im using the one from 2008 :D).

Plug wacom in. It should work.
Teh-Kraken Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, should work, my only problem is that rather than uninstalling the HidDevices driver you should simply disable it in case you need to reuse it...

Also, make sure you know which HID-Compliant Device is the default tablet driver... It can cause big problems if you get it wrong.
:iconpho3nix-bf:
pho3nix-bf Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2010
ahh i forgot - after u type all those things in console and device managers pop out - go to its view menu item -> show all
Otakuwolf Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have these these three devices with a HID thing:
HID compatible peripherial
Wacom HID digitizer
Wacom HID pen
Wacom virtual HID driver

My bamboo fun never worked, i just plugged it in and not just the sensibility, but the eraser doesen't work eighter (it does just in text programs like wordpad), when i try to delete something and i flip the pen to the eraser, it still gives me a brush.

I'm desperate T_T
Teh-Kraken Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2010
Hmmm, the Wacom ones are obviously your tablet drivers... Have you tried temporarily disabling the HID Compatible Peripherial and seeing if it works?

I think the specific one you should look for is the HID-Compliant Device but MAKE SURE YOUR TABLET IS PLUGGED IN WHEN YOU BRING UP THE LIST OF DEVICES. If it isn't you may disable your mouse driver (if this happens use the arrow keys to re-hilight the setting and hit enter to re-enable it)

See if that works for you... If not, I'm out of ideas.
Otakuwolf Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Indeed i did another thing, i had to unplug the tablet, unistall the drivers, reinstall the UPDATED drivers, and then replug the whole thing, now it works, thank you anyway for the help =D=D=D
:iconhiringparanoia:
HiringParanoia Featured By Owner Jun 24, 2009  Hobbyist Photographer
Oh my god, this is the exact answer I needed to my sensitivity problems. Now I know how to fix it. Thank you so much.
Teh-Kraken Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2009
Thats okay :)
:iconchadkroeger:
Chadkroeger Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2009  Hobbyist Digital Artist
u were right.... O.o it did work after 45 mins
:iconchadkroeger:
Chadkroeger Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2009  Hobbyist Digital Artist
putang inang bamboo wacom~ XC same here XC mine was working just fine for a couple of days then suddenly loses pressure sensitivity T_T what shall i doooooooo?~ T_T
:iconbasketfullofkittens:
Basketfullofkittens Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2009   Photographer
Hello. I would recommend the best and fastest way to test if its the tablet itself giving an error, or having died, or something on your pc, is to take the tablet and test it on another pc.

If it does not work on the other one as well you know its a tablet problem. I don't have a tablet myself *pines* but this is the regular thing to do when something goes kaput for no apparent reason
:iconsewje:
Sewje Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2009  Professional Filmographer
I think it would be the order in which your drivers are loaded when the OS boots, I've noticed that when my tablet drivers are loaded early the tablet stops working. If this is the case you should look at removing startup programs with Msconfig or if the tablet driver can be loaded bt an executable file then stick it in the startup group will usually make sure its loaded last.

You could also try disabling your UAC in Vista.
:iconnekoluca:
NekoLuca Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2009
Ack, that sucks. I hope you find your solution sometime soon.
:iconaeltari:
Aeltari Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2009  Professional Digital Artist
I dont have any Logitech peripherals. I didnt install anything new since I got my tablet, so it cant be that. I wish it were so simple. Im glad you got yours sorted out.

From what Im reading it seems that the problem is entirely the shoddy workmanship of the Wacom product. I can use my mouse (havent tried the one that came with it, its wireless and I hate wireless) with no problems so the issue isnt the software. When the problems are inconsistent it points to a poor product that needs an overhaul.

Its been several days and I still have not heard from their tech support so I dont know what to do. Its highly annoying having to put down the pen, use the mouse for all the pulldowns etc.
NekoLuca Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2009
Hey guys.

Umm... Your problems aren't identical to the one I had, but some-what similar I guess. What happened for me was; I was going to webcam with a close friend on Skype, but I had previously uninstalled the driver for my mums' Logitech webcam because for some unknown reason, the Logitech webcam driver clashed with a game I played, and once I installed the driver for the webcam, I kept getting an error with the game I wanted to play.

I thought this was really weird. Anyway, I searched the internet for some kind of solution, and after searching for a fair while and trying different things that didn't solve my issue; in the deepest corner of the internet I found one guy who had come up with a solution to a problem that made no sense to me, and still makes no sense. xD

He and other people had this same problem and the solution that he came up with was to uninstall the driver for his Logitech webcam. I tried this, and for some bizarre reason, it actually worked. I could play my game again.

Okay that was kind of irrelevant. x.x

... Anyway;

So I was going to Skype video call with my friend, yeah? So I figured I'd install my webcam just for today, and I did. Later on I got bored and was in a mood to draw, so I opened Photoshop (CS3), and to my surprise the pressure sensitivity wasn't working at all, neither was the eraser. So I was like wtf; I tried rebooting, reopening Photoshop, uninstalling and reinstalling (also updating) my tablets' driver (Bamboo Fun), but nothing at all worked, everything I tried had no effect. X.x

So I was freaking out. And I was thinking it only started happening today, and it's never happened before, so I put two and two together and figured it only started happening after I reinstalled the Logitech webcam driver.

I uninstalled my tablet driver, and the webcam driver. Then I rebooted and downloaded the latest Wacom driver-- [link] --just in case that had anything to do with it. And there, I opened Photoshop again and everything with my tablet was working fine again.

But the bottom line is: If you have a Logitech webcam, uninstall just the driver for it (Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs) and if your problem is at all similar to what mine was, hopefully this will fix it.

I'm sorry if it doesn't help, since your problems aren't exactly the same as mine was.
But goodluck.

[/Rant]
:iconaeltari:
Aeltari Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2009  Professional Digital Artist
Hi...yep I feel your pain. I also got my Bamboo Fun for Christmas not 2 months ago. The last 4 days I had error messages that the drivers (which came on a disc with my tablet) were not working. I went to the site and d/l the newest ones. Big mistake.

First thing I noticed in Photoshop Elements was that if I applied any pressure to a spot while working my brushes menu would open up right under me. I messed with some settings and got rid of that.

Next, when I was smudging or erasing the cursor sensitivity was not there so it seemed behind the "action" with each stroke, and then jump around before catching up with me again. Very irritating.

I restarted my computer.

Tablet now does not work at all in Photoshop. None of the tools work with the pen but they do with the mouse so I know its not my computer that is the problem, nor the program. Its the Bamboo fun failing miserably.

I have looked online for solutions but there are none, and I have sent a message to Wacom tech support which will probably be useless at best.

I could really use some help as I cannot use a mouse for my art due to my arthritic paw, so this means I cant do anything at all until the situation is resolved.
NekoLuca Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2009
-Reply-

I dunno if you'd get a message saying that someone posted in this thread.
-dA noob- D:
So, eh, yeah, now you will.

Hopefully you'll find the solution to your problem.
Goodluck.
^^;
Add a Comment: