Details

July 13
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Would it be possible to create artificial voices

:iconthekiseren:
TheKiseren Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi! Me again. So, this is a bit of an odd question (maybe stupid to someone who is way better in computer science than me) but I was curious if it is possible to make artifical voices from scratch. 

Now, yes, I do know synthesizer voices exists. Take Vocaloid for example. But, my intention is a bit different. Let me explain;
I have quite a several bit of OC's, all with their own background, their personalities, that kind of thing. Now I am only a writer and a beginner 3D artist, and I had this idea; Make 3D models of my OC's, and give them voices (and also do voice-only stuff). But here is the problem; I am not a voice actor, nor am I physically a girl. So voice acting female OC's, is a bit of a problem. And hiring a voice actor is costly, not to mention since I want to do a lot of voice stuff with them, it's never guaranteed that VA is available years in the future. So, getting to the point;

I wanted to give each of my OC's their own artifical voice. The problem I have is; I don't know how. What I have in mind, in what I want to do is this; I want to be able to create a voice artificially (Some OC's would have an accent too), then ones I have that voice "sample" I want them to be able to say anything so how in Vocaloid you type in a word and they say it, then lastly, I want to be able to create emotion in the voice, like happyness, sadness, fear, anger, that kind of thing, and I do know that that works with pitch and the like.

It all seems possible to me. But I don't know if you can via scratch or how. So the bottom line question is; Would it be possible to do the thing I have in mind? And if so, how exactly? I have no problem learning something new if it requires a lot of effort.
I apologize if my question is confusing to anyone, English isn't my first language and I am also very bad at explaining myself.

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Professional Artist
Generating artificial voices is for sure possible! It's done all the time.

What you're looking for is text-to-speech. There are a lot of options, although ready-to-go stuff where you just type words and get speech aren't free. There very well maybe be free solutions - google around for them.

I found this on google - it may be a starting point for you www.techradar.com/news/the-bes…
While text to speech does indeed seem the thing I need. I don't think having a clear cut program that already has speech voices is optimal, as the voice might not fit with the character at all (Like a happy-go-lucky voice type with a broody goth, lol). So I would really need to make from scratch (Though at the time of writing I haven't read your linked article yet so maybe it is explained in there, if it is, my apologies)
Oh, I understand now.
I'm not sure if anything I linked will let you control inflection like that - but it's possible that something does. My guess would be that to get that level of control you'll have to pay for the software. Hopefully someone comes along that knows more and can help you out!
Hmh, I don't quite have a problem doing a 1-time payment if absolutely necesary (as long as it isn't a crazy high cost like €200). The problem with artificial voices I find, is that the voices either sound too robotic, or don't fit the character. That's why I need a from-scratch made voice.... Or hire a VA, but that is way out of my budget, also considering I tend to use the voices for quite a few years
For what it's worth, having a natural sounding AI voice is still such a big deal that major companies like Microsoft, Google, and Apple show it off at their conferences. Like "we made Cortana sound better than Siri" is still major tech news :lol: it's a hard problem!
True, true, hopefully we can be able to make our own AI voice, that actually sounds good and not like some robot, very soon.
:iconkatforce:
Katforce Featured By Owner Edited Jul 13, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
If someone knows how to use it without Vocaloid, reply to me too. I want my girls to have a voice too. Q_Q
Add a Comment: