Closed to new replies
July 1, 2014
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Messing around with deviantart badges

:iconhaikuo:
haikuo Featured By Owner Jul 1, 2014
How to almost give anytype of badge ^-^, prepare for lots of text.

A couple of weeks ago I was browsing DA and I came across a link similar to this one:

[LINK] (Sorry I don't know how to display a link without DA shortening it, if you click the link then you can just read the address in your browsers address bar)

It was from a tutorial for making a llama button. What interested me though was that the links address tells you lots of information about the transaction. For example part of the link includes:

give?badgetype=llama

which tells you your giving a llama. Another part says:

&to_user= 20667657

which tells you which user your sending the llama to.

I decided to try changing the "badgetype=llama" bit to "badgetype=cake" and sure enough the transaction page was now geared up for sending cake badges instead, just as if you had gone to a profile and and clicked "Give>Cake badge".

What made me laugh is that you can change the badgetype to any type of badge, for example change the badge type bit to "badgetype=pelican" and your now giving a pelican badge :D. The difficult part is guessing the names of different badges as they are not always what you expect(here's a list of all the badges on DA [LINK] if you're interested)

Unfortunately if you then try to give a badge (thats not a llama or cake badge) you'll get a lovely message saying something like:

You cannot give any more pelican badges to Oeasis.

Which is a shame because I was looking forward to pimping my profile with all sorts of badges :D. I spent several more hours trying to see if there was anything I had missed that would unlock those unobtainable badges to me but in the end I failed :(, but I did find out some other interesting stuff.

Before I get into the other stuff I thought I'd say why I put this all in a thread. I'm hoping that if someone else smarter than me finds this interesting, they might mess around with it a bit more and get a bit further than I did. Also if someone knows what the &trade_id=0 or the &referrer=oeasis.deviantart.com/ parts of the address do I'd like to know :). As far as I can tell you can delete the &trade_id=0 or change it to any value you want and it doesnt effect anything. However the referrer part of the address does matter.

I also found out that the number in to_user= 20667657 referrers to a users gruser id, which you can find out by going to a profile page, viewing page source and searching for gmi-gruser_id=. This ID appears to be generated chronologically, so if you put to_user= 0 then you will give a badge to the first profile on DA ^^. However I'm not sure what happens to deleted profiles, because their gruser ID might become available again.

Another thing is that when giving cake badges you are given the option to give any number of cakes from 1 to 18. I decided to try copying the html code for the cake transaction and merge it with the code for giving a llama badge so that I could give more than 1 llama. But this didn't work either. It also highlighted that every transaction is given a validation token and key which is generated each time a transaction is set up, but that these can be easily faked by copying unused tokens and keys from the page source of another transaction and pasting then into the html for your ofline transaction.

In the end, what ever you do you are sent to process trade page:
www.deviantart.com/modal/badge…
which will have a different html source depending on how you access it. I'm guessing this page is generated using PHP so all the interesting stuff happens server side. Anyway if any one else gets further with this I'd love to hear about it :3

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwhiteplumfragrance:
WhitePlumFragrance Featured By Owner Jul 2, 2014  Hobbyist Writer
That doesn't sound very legal nor honest to me. :p
haikuo Featured By Owner Jul 2, 2014
Hehe, if it worked then there might be an issue but since it doesn't I don't think there's any problem ^^
:icondaredevinho:
daredevinho Featured By Owner Jul 1, 2014  Hobbyist General Artist
Why this works only with you? I mean, I can only give llamas and pelicans to you.
You need to change the user ID part of the link, for example your ID is 4188353 so to give llamas to you the link would be:

www.deviantart.com/modal/badge…

I was just using my ID as an example :aww:
daredevinho Featured By Owner Jul 2, 2014  Hobbyist General Artist
I changed everything. The ID to the person I want to give, and the referer to me. Then I tried the referer as the person I wanted to give, just in case I did something wrong. It never works; its always "you're giving this to Nobody"
Did the link I sent you in my last comment not work for you? I only ever get "you're giving this to Nobody" when I enter the "&to_user=4188353" part of the address in the wrong form. The referer doesn't need to be a person btw, it can be a link to the DA homepage if you want, I think its just a way for DA to record what started the transaction.
daredevinho Featured By Owner Jul 3, 2014  Hobbyist General Artist
It didn't work. Actually, your ID made it appear "sending to daredevinho", which is weird, it's your ID, but the user is me!
haikuo Featured By Owner Jul 3, 2014
Strange, I don't know what's going on there but I don't see why ID's should behave differently for different people. In the end it doesn't really matter anyway since this method doesn't actually work for anything other than llamas and cakes :P
:iconpyrogina:
pyrogina Featured By Owner Jul 1, 2014
neat!
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jul 1, 2014  Professional Artist
Fancy.
:aww:

I like your minecraft stuff btw, you've got some ridiculously large renders :D

:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jul 2, 2014  Professional Artist