Details

August 1
Link

Statistics

Replies: 26

Share your characters and what inspired you to create them

:iconfrisky-tern05:
Frisky-Tern05 Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  New Deviant
I'm curious to see your inspirations... hence this thread. 

Here is mine, he is inspired by the autumn colour palettes, and since it's august already, I really wanted to use the colours. :3
Adoptable Auction/005/OPEN by Frisky-Tern05

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:icongege16:
Gege16 Featured By Owner Edited 10 hours ago  Hobbyist General Artist
These are reference pics,illustrations and an animation for the fantasy novel in which i'm currently working.My main inspirations for this project are the cultures of Russia and  central Asian countries,Disney movies,fantasy movies like Narnia,fairy tales,astronomy and Symphonic Metal music among other things.
The sword holding kids are Aliosha and Dylara,the protagonist duo.Some minor facts about them are inspired by some aspects of my life: for example,the fact that they're best friends who share their birthdays is based off the bond i have with one of my friends,Aliosha's father,Vladek,was inspired in my grandpa.The first thumb is from a scene of the story that was inspired by Within Temptation's song "The Howling" .

The two stars of the animation are Alioth (red) and Dubhe(blue) characters of a legend that's featured in the novel's prologue and marks the path for the novel's plot.Them both are based off actual stars from the Big Dipper constelation (this constelation will have some relevance for the story in a future) and their legend itself was inspired by Tarja's song "Lost Northern Stars"  (in fact this song was one of the things that ignited my inspiration and motivation  for writing this story),Pandora's Myth and a Russian Fairy Tale called "The Fire Bird".
The grumpy looking king from the third Thumb is Ivar,the evil and bloody ruler of the Empire where the story takes place and one of the main villians.His look and some traits of his personality were inspired by Ivan IV,the Tsar who governed Russia from 1533 to 1584 ( or at least,it was inspired on the way how he's usually portrayed on media) and the Queen of Hearts from the book "Alice in Wonderland".

The blonde guy from the last thumb is Mikhai,the other main villian of the story,he's the Emperor's favorite person and apprentice.His role was inspired by Ilosovic Staine from Tim Burton's version of "Alice in Wonderland" and some of his personality traits are similar to Queen Ingrith's (from "Maleficent:Mistress of Evil").He got a very relevant role in the story too and due his  backstory  his "theme song" (or actually the song to which i associate him) is Within Temptation's "A Demon Fate"
You'd rather not see what's behind you by Gege16   Legend Says [ANIMATION] by Gege16    Sunrise in the Sentinel Mountains by Gege16   Dylara [ Fantasy OC] by Gege16   Aliosha [  Fantasy OC] by Gege16    Tsar Ivar [Fantasy OC] by Gege16 Rankash Mikhai by Gege16  
:iconluckychiro:
LuckyChiro Featured By Owner 23 hours ago
Eagle and Pheonix OwO 
Yours looks so good!!
Fire Empress Calida by LuckyChiro   OPEN Adoptable Auction {Calida - Fire Empress} by LuckyChiro  
:iconwetumbrella6:
wetumbrella6 Featured By Owner 1 day ago  Hobbyist
Inspired by ancient Egyptian art:

Fire Godess by wetumbrella6  

Inspired by 18th century Rococo:

18th century gentleman by wetumbrella6  

Lady Gaga - Alejandro video: (also my profile pic)

Practice by wetumbrella6  

007:

007 Fan Art by wetumbrella6  
:iconmiraculousmisfit:
MiraculousMisfit Featured By Owner 2 days ago  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
Shin (OC) by MiraculousMisfit   Taki (OC) by MiraculousMisfit   Zen (OC) by MiraculousMisfit  

Mature Content

Kenji and Jiro (OC) - Split Personality by MiraculousMisfit
  Hai (OC) by MiraculousMisfit   Haru (OC) by MiraculousMisfit   My Proud Boys by MiraculousMisfit

From left to right (last thumbn.):
Shin - prostitute, married to Taki
Taki - best cook in the town
Kenji - works for the police... kind of.
Zen - waiter (Taki's restaurant), Kenji's/Jiro's boyfriend
Jiro - pervert, kenji's split personality (literally... because it's a fantasy world. ^-^)
Haru - vampire, alcoholic, Zen's (baaaad) father
Hai - blood-addicted shark person, loves sweet food too (especially icecream), former pirate.

Lonelyness inspired me to create them... I always struggled with finding friends so I... made my own and it escalated quickly.^^'
(I'm a strange person. ;) )
:icontheunlimitedfortress:
TheUnlimitedFortress Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Otrera - OC Design (1st Edition) [Final]| Tlakuilo by TheUnlimitedFortress
We needed a positive role model for our series protagonists. So that's what Otrera is supposed to be. :)
:iconlulascarlette:
LulaScarlette Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've recently been redrawing Sophronia, my insect character, a bunch! She's inspired by a whole bunch of different insects, and I've also tried to make her look very dead inside, as she's not a very happy character. Sweating a little... 

The main insects I took inspiration from were Treehoppers, which are a fascinating group of insects! And that's about it for her visual design. ^-^

Art #165 - Sophronia's Final Design by LulaScarlette

:iconfrisky-tern05:
Frisky-Tern05 Featured By Owner 5 days ago  New Deviant
Indeed they really are! Thanks for letting me know about them ^^
:icononililyn:
Onililyn Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I love your design so much. The colour is so warm! 

This is my main original character. She is inspired by arctic wolves and the folktale story of "Red Riding Hood". 
Oni reference 2020 by Onililyn  
:icongodsdemonsmen:
GodsDemonsMen Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Professional General Artist
GODS, DEMONS AND MEN by GodsDemonsMen   GODS, DEMONS AND MEN by GodsDemonsMen
my newest characters..created to decorate my new laptop!
:iconnockeynoo:
NockeyNoo Featured By Owner Edited 6 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I creating these ocs how did i got inspiration
Pop'n Music OC - Clem Cherwinski (peace style) by NockeyNoo
I read Polish Plumber on wikipedia and countryballs about Poland.

Pop'n Music OC - Fjoppi (peace style) by NockeyNoo
I search things to do in Norway, when i see "Fishing", that's what i got inspiration

Pop'n Music OC - Lyosha (peace style) by NockeyNoo
i find the question about the largest forest ever, the answer is Russia, not only the largest country ever

Pop'n Music OC - Carozon by NockeyNoo
I got two inspiration ideas, first, i watching Eurovision 2010, the participation is Spain, at the middle, some streaker guy is appear on stage
second, i watching Eurovision 2011, the participation is Portugal, the performance is about protest, the song sounds hilarious and coolio protest message
:iconcyiv:
CyiV Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
He was inspired by the most absurdist DnD game me and my friends came up with where we try to make the most ridiculous characters, Including: Possessed cardboard box filled with triangles that shakes furiously to make music (Bard), radical religious person who worships Amazon Prime and also has the power to get anything delivered in one day (Paladin), my character's sibling who's also a mage but every spell she casts is an anime girl personification of the spell. The whole premise of the game is that we're in a gatcha mobile game and we need to figure out which character is the SSR/5 Star pull and kill them to take their title
Magicboi by CyiV
This guy was a former medical student who dated an anti-vaxxer and lost hope in the field of medicine and became a philosophy major to sort out his life, he is so disillusioned he eats Kitkats like this.
eating a kitkat like a psychopath doodle by CyiV
:iconcranash64:
Cranash64 Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Here are my OCs from the book series I wrote. My main inspiration was history - victorian era, WWI, Russian history of the 1st half of XX century (and alternative history too). Also, some inspiration came from the movie "Equilibrium". anime series "Attack on Titan" and "Gurren Lagann", and "Discworld" book series
His duty (2020 version) by Cranash64   MFMI characters - Orika Readnare by Cranash64   Made of Flesh/Made of Iron by Cranash64   Rifles and swords (2020 version) by Cranash64   DEJ18 - Surprise by Cranash64   DEJ16 - Love by Cranash64   Do your duty, captain van Oggenberg by Cranash64   The soldier and the engineer (2020 version) by Cranash64   I`m here for my daughter by Cranash64   The darkness he has to face by Cranash64   MFMI characters - Herman Kowalski by Cranash64   Here comes the spring by Cranash64   The Prayer (complete version) by Cranash64   MFMI characters - Vita Rowenski by Cranash64   My one and only by Cranash64   Touch the sky (complete version) by Cranash64  
:iconladyyomi:
LadyYomi Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
Chie, Kohana, Tani, Izanagi & other OCs that I created after playing the Hakuouki games! 😉💜

EDIT: Hakuouki OC sprite, Furukawa Chie. by LadyYomi   EDIT: Hakuouki OC sprite, Furukawa Kohana. by LadyYomi   Hakuouki OC: Tani Sanjuro. by LadyYomi   Hakuouki OC: Furukawa Izanagi. by LadyYomi   Hakuouki OC: Chie, Kohana, Ba, Mantaro, and more. by LadyYomi   Hakuouki OC: Tani, Ume, Izanagi and Mao. by LadyYomi   Hakuouki OC: Jules Brunet REMAKE! by LadyYomi   Hakuouki OC: Matsudaira Taro. Made in 2013! by LadyYomi  
:iconxsweetslayerx:
xSweetSlayerx Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Professional General Artist
Here's my Legend of Zelda FC Déjali, I recently made. I made him because I'm a fan of Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild. I also was watching a livestream of someone playing the Majora's Mask randomizer, so there was a big mood there. I also am a rockhound (Ilove collecting rocks) and I really love the Goron race in the games. I made Déjali's design with influences from both games.
Dejali the Goron by xSweetSlayerx   Dejali the Goron - Different Proportions by xSweetSlayerx

I also have my Hazbin Hotel FC Remila Faustus. I made her on a caffeine buzz, so she has some inspiration from the TouHou character Remilia Scarlet, but she's truely based off the demon from the Faust legend Mephistopheles, who I actually made her father. Her siblings and mother also have name inspirations from authors who have wrote versions or other texts on Faust.
Hazbin Hotel OC: Remila Faustus by xSweetSlayerx   Why Fly, When You Can Levitate? by xSweetSlayerx

And these guys I made were inspired by kind of a joke/debate I had with a guy that eating read red meat and potatoes together is bad for your health. He has kind of a thing for superheroes and PSAs, so I thought it would be funny to make a villain pair based on the debate. XD
Red Meat and Red Potato by xSweetSlayerx  
:iconmanicthemod:
ManictheMod Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Student Digital Artist
Oh boy, this is going to be fun!!

Riley Wilson (2013-2014) by ManictheMod  

This is my oldest OC, Riley. I made her up in fourth grade during a car ride in which I rhymed "Miley" with "Riley". Very original.

Amanda Rowan (2013-2014)* by ManictheMod  

And this is my second oldest OC, Amanda. I made her up in fifth grade when I was obsessed with the Ramona Quimby series. In fact, I was so obsessed that I basically made Amanda into a ginger, Southern version of Ramona Quimby. Again, very original.

Len Nohara (2013-2014) by ManictheMod   Rina Nohara (2013-2014) by ManictheMod

These two are Len and Rina. I based them off of Len and Rin Kagamine from the Vocaloid franchise back when I was in the sixth grade. This is the peak of my originality here.

Markee Yuzee (2013-2014) by ManictheMod  

And this is Markee. I only made him up in sixth grade because I didn't have any black characters prior. 
:iconaquaticjm:
AquaticJM Featured By Owner Edited 6 days ago   General Artist
Pride by AquaticJM   At Peace by AquaticJM   Helios by AquaticJM  

This is my character, Helios. The species they are a part of is from a concept I've been working on for a while based on an earlier idea that just kinda evolved into what it is now. The concept revolves around a reptilian alien species from a planet far away, and the characters are given names after Greek Titans by human astronomers, since their language is hard to pronounce. Their appearances are partly inspired by the curse-seal level 2 forms from Naruto.

Helios in particular is non-binary. Originally I was going to make them a guy like their Greek counterpart, but then I read the Magnus Chase book series and was inspired by one character who was genderfluid, and that inspired me to make them genderqueer. I did my best to try and make their backstory and personality as authentic as possible, so I asked people who were genderfluid about their experiences with it to help shape their character.

(You can read their backstory in the third picture).
:iconthekohakudragon:
TheKohakuDragon Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
Gamma and Eclipse by TheKohakuDragon   Space Pirate Captain Gamma by TheKohakuDragon  
I took a lot of inspiration from pictures of black holes and super novae when I was designing him.
:iconabmillustration:
ABMillustration Featured By Owner 6 days ago  New Deviant
Melleck and Aruji: the Letter by ABMillustration

Aruji (left) Melleck (right)

I was inspired by the fashion of the late 1700s and the French Revolution.
:icongeofferyccarter:
GeofferyCCarter Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Most of my inspiration just comes from things I imagine while listening to music, not having any singular source, but pulling from a large "bucket" of individual bits and pieces I like.
Lahgtah Felth'morr reference sheet by GeofferyCCarter
Perhaps my oldest character that I still use a lot. I actually can't quite remember what exactly inspired him, only bits and pieces. I know the ears were inspired by Ratchet and Clank or Nights, but otherwise I can't pin down anything else. Probably some digimon elements, though I never actually got into digimon or know much about it. He's definitely my favorite, though.

Firesword doing what he does best. by GeofferyCCarter
This guy was inspired by Chaos marines in terms of personality and design. He's not chaotically evil, though - just incredibly brutal towards his enemies.

Kardias and Zee by GeofferyCCarter
The girl in the foreground, Kardias, was inspired by Jill Valentine from Resident Evil games, especially Resident Evil 5 which is where her outfit inspiration comes from.

I have dozens of other characters, but I'd rather not clutter up the thread.

:icontheunlimitedfortress:
TheUnlimitedFortress Featured By Owner 6 days ago
Clarisse B. OC Design (Cafe Sundae) [Flats]| by TheUnlimitedFortress
Clarisse by day is a government official (i.e., Inspector General), rooting out corruption, treason, and incompetence from military affairs. By night, Clarisse is a bard/muse who pens magical and majestic tales. She is a linchpin, connecting many of our series into one cohesive narrative. Hope you check out our original comic series once we release them, and hope you enjoy the journey alongside Clarisse!
:meowsalute: 
:iconrosalinassoulmate:
RosalinasSoulmate Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  Student Filmographer
I'm gonna share two groups of characters, if that's okay.
lunchtime Cast by RosalinasSoulmate  So these guys, namely Candy in the middle, were among my first characters I created on here. They all started out as potential children for video game characters I like. For instance, Marianna, the girl with the headband, was my idea for Dr. Mario and WiiFit Trainer's daughter. As I drew them more, I felt they could stand on their own. References to their parents and their origins became fewer and fewer, to the point where I completely divorced them from their video game origins in January.
All-Alex Rejects Cast by RosalinasSoulmate  These five are known as the "All-Alex Rejects." They were characters I had ideas for, but didn't know how to incorporate them into the universes I had created without creating continuity problems. They just went unused. However, I then decided to write a story about them going on a journey through my mind to become real characters, and the rest is history. (They also have origins as being the children of video game characters)
:iconx-little-evil-x:
x-little-evil-x Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020
sheep girl by x-little-evil-x
Well, as you can guess, she was inspired by a sheep Emoji32  
:iconconfuzzledlion:
Confuzzledlion Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Azumi Kihara|OC with Random Word by Confuzzledlion  
She was inspired by the word recording. I created her using a random word generator.
:iconrathaloshunter16:
Rathaloshunter16 Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Source of inspiration by Rathaloshunter16  I think this speaks to itself. 
Add a Comment: