Details

July 13
Link

Statistics

Replies: 38

Share your traditional art + process

:iconsoftboiledart:
SoftBoiledArt Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  New Deviant Professional Traditional Artist
Traditional art only, a brief summary of the process is encouraged but not mandatory, as always I'll give feedback to everything I like and I encourage to do the same <3

Nostalgic Bard by SoftBoiledArt   Kulve Taroth Mermaid/Humanization by SoftBoiledArt

For these first I do a convincing enough drawing in blue pencil before doing the final lineart (magenta Polychromos for me) then I clean, edit, and darken the lines in Photoshop, I print the edited lineart over Bristol paper.

After around 2 hours (a day if possible) I work over the printed lineart with Copic Markers. Both pieces have some color pencil shading too on the softer shadows.

Now's your turn 

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconuranus-seventhsun:
Uranus-seventhsun Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2020
Graphite, photocopy, colour.
Madokara Mieru by Uranus-seventhsun Madokara Mieru II by Uranus-seventhsun
:iconnalendale:
Nalendale Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Good morning!
Here are some of my traditional works:
Knightess (OC) by Nalendale   Silk (Cindy Moon) fanart by Nalendale    Sri Asih fanart by Nalendale   Arcane Idol - The Golden Orbs Dancer by Nalendale   DTIYS (hosted by he77ga) by Nalendale    Evelyn Blue (OC Commission) by Nalendale  

-For the first two drawings I only used HB and 2B pencils on a sketchbook paper
-The rest I sketch with HB pencil, lineart using drawing pen (0.1, 0.2, 0.5), and colors using Faber-Castell 12 Classic Colored Pencils
-And all of my traditional arts are scanned, cleaned up, and enhanced.

And for additional info, for my latest works I do the similar process, only the colorworks are done digitally.

Thank you.
:iconthebadgerfoxdraws:
thebadgerfoxdraws Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Shiny curls (OC - Caspian) by thebadgerfoxdraws   OC semi-portraits - Jackalope by thebadgerfoxdraws    A band of Jacks (ATL/SPN/NBC/RotG/Magnus Chase) by thebadgerfoxdraws   Pichu and Pikachu (OCs - Ty and Sondre) by thebadgerfoxdraws   Photobooth (OCs- Fabian and Sandy) by thebadgerfoxdraws  
A little bit of everything traditional for me :happybounce: because it is seldom I get to show it :happybounce: 
:iconcinnamondevil:
CinnamonDevil Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2020   Traditional Artist
Sketchbook | Shaman by CinnamonDevil  Arrow Right  Shaman Progress by CinnamonDevil  Arrow Right   Shaman  by CinnamonDevil  
I sketched out my idea, than I transferred it to hotpressed watercolorpaper (I think I made a copy of the sketch, covered the back with graphite and went over the linework with a ballpoint-pen or so, today I use carbon paper). After that I laid down some layers of watercolor and went in with inks and colored pencils to give the piece some depth and texture. That's how I work on bigger watercolor paintings. I have a lot of ink pieces with less complex processes ;D
SoftBoiledArt Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2020  New Deviant Professional Traditional Artist
Very complex piece, lots of stuff happening there. Must take a lot of work, thanks for sharing.
:iconmarczart:
MarczArt Featured By Owner Jul 14, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:iconabrigedfoamy:
Abrigedfoamy Featured By Owner Jul 14, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Cryptid Crossing - Uchi Villagers by Abrigedfoamy   Fake Pokemon Dump by Abrigedfoamy   Steven Universe AU - From a Diamond to a Rose by Abrigedfoamy   Disney - Minion Swap AU by Abrigedfoamy   Super Koopa Bros by Abrigedfoamy   Steven Universe - Down the Cluster Hole by Abrigedfoamy   Old Ideas Recycled 4 - Hallows Eve Academy by Abrigedfoamy   CosmicCorsair - Captain Shark Fist by Abrigedfoamy  Not really much to say. Some of the bigger stuff i might do some research with. Make a reference board on MS paint real quick. Then I just do the sketch with a mechanical pencil on cardstock. Do the lineart with a thin tip sharpie. Then when i do the color i keep a scrap piece of paper to test color schemes on before going at it. For color i use a combination of Bic, sharpie, art of painting brand, touchnew, #coloring, super markers, KMM, winston & newton, Arrtx, and pen+gear markers. Basically anything that lasts long, is relatively cheap, and isn't too streaky. Sometimes i'll use my scanner to mess with a pictures hue, or shade but not that often.
SoftBoiledArt Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2020  New Deviant Professional Traditional Artist
Yeah I use the scrap of paper to keep testing color while I work too. Thanks for sharing.
:icondanikarmann:
DaniKarmann Featured By Owner Jul 14, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Obsidian sketch by DaniKarmann   Obsidian from Houseki no kuni by DaniKarmann  
Zero Two sketch by DaniKarmann   Zero Two by DaniKarmann  
Doremi drawing- creation process in 3 steps by DaniKarmann  
:iconacarlizeynep:
acarlizeynep Featured By Owner Jul 14, 2020  New Deviant  Traditional Artist
Hellloo Im Zeze. I share some watercolor works on social media. And for the progress, you can check this 3 min video of how I draw that cute doggo down there :P 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciKWHU…

Purple Haze by acarlizeynep   Watercolor Mountains by acarlizeynep   Minimalistic watercolor waves by acarlizeynep   Watercolor Harbour by acarlizeynep   Watercolor Burning Sky by acarlizeynep   Watercolor Galaxy by acarlizeynep   Watercolor Border Collie by acarlizeynep  
:icondrskytower:
drskytower Featured By Owner Jul 14, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been doing more traditional art as I don't have photoshop anymore...

XXYN Drone Art Trade with Evil-God-Chernabog by drskytower    Carnivore by drskytower    TYRANNIS - Black Terror by drskytower    
:icongrace-dupre:
Grace-Dupre Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Professional General Artist
Hamm's,  the beer refreshing by Grace-Dupre

I don't keep around NEARLY as many traditional pieces in my gallery as I used to, but I am trained in acrylic and oil painting, and I treat my digital art as such - to the point where I've actively been yelled at about not using fill bucket/masking tools as much as I 'should.'  I go digital most times simply because I can't always afford the traditional stuff, and I want my digital experience to match my paints/pastels/charcoals/sketching pencils as much as possible! 

SO!

That being said, I like acrylic best because I'm impatient, and something like this is just a lot of layering. Big swaths of color, first, washes after washes, occasionally re-sketching the buildings in charcoal over it in case I lose track of where I am. Big to small layers works best for me on something as quick-drying as acrylic, and things tighten up that way. This is what I try to copy in Procreate, digitally.

Oil is that, but much, much, much slower. Also oil's friendlier to blending where I'm happy to leave in a lot of odd-colored brushstrokes with acrylic! 
SoftBoiledArt Featured By Owner Jul 14, 2020  New Deviant Professional Traditional Artist
Yeah acrylic will help with layering faster definitely, and the strokes are sharper by nature. Thanks!
:iconvirus-tormentor:
Virus-Tormentor Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconmich-spich:
mich-spich Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Student General Artist
Washed Away by mich-spich   Under the Weather by mich-spich   Nature's Silence by mich-spich  
:iconnoelchianart76:
noelchianart76 Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
:icondausenmoore-art:
DausenMoore-Art Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020   Digital Artist
Mavis Dracula - Hotel Transylvania by DausenMoore-Art   Mavis - Hotel Transylvania by DausenMoore-Art  
:iconbarananduen:
barananduen Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020   General Artist
I draw my sketch in my sketchbook, which is really small, scan to make larger to fit watercolor paper and print out, transfer to watercolor paper
and paint XD
For the gold accents, I use gold acrylic paint or whatever of the million golden art supply things I collect in my quest to find the perfect gold accent thingamajig :laughing:
Watercolor - BLEACH - Shinji Hirako and the Plants by barananduen Watercolor - DA's 17th BDay - Flowery Woodpecker by barananduen Watercolor - Vrachos - Stone Bust by barananduen Watercolor - D E . C O M . P O . S E R by barananduen Watercolor - Zebra by barananduen Watercolor - Drink in the Moon by barananduen

Process stoof:
Vintage Watercolors by barananduen Watercolor - DA's 17th BDay - Side by Side by barananduen Watercolor - red bouquet - wip by barananduen

I did a ton of colored pencil work about a decade ago, and I still do once in a while, but on those, I just sketch right on the final paper, whatever that is
Colored Pencils - Flower Practice by barananduen
SoftBoiledArt Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  New Deviant Professional Traditional Artist
Thanks a ton for sharing, very elaborated pieces. Enlarging your original drawings definitely helps with the proportions (you have more control over smaller drawings imo) even if it's just due to size restrictions. I love watercolor myself, done a few in the past <3
:iconmidnightdj-sk:
MidnightDJ-SK Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Student General Artist
(Robot) Sailor Moon Redraw by MidnightDJ-SK Duty fulfilled by MidnightDJ-SK Siegfried's conquest by MidnightDJ-SK Queen of the night - DVL-666X 'Lilith' by MidnightDJ-SK
Pencil sketch-> Do it over with black marker->Rub off the pencil lines->Correct any mistakes with white paint->paint out any small details with acrylic/marker->put on watercolor-> add additional shadings with color pencils
Thanks for sharing!
:icongeofferyccarter:
GeofferyCCarter Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Kardias and Zee by GeofferyCCarter Rektha Solis'mraat - cold heart, noble soul. by GeofferyCCarter Into the fray by GeofferyCCarter Android Self-repair by GeofferyCCarter Sins of the Past by GeofferyCCarter

I work on either 18x24" or 14x17" paper: very coarse textured and heavyweight. I would use larger pads if I could, but my desk isn't big enough.

I start with construction lines and simple shapes representing the important parts of the picture - the general silhouettes, the pose, objects in the background, horizon line. All that kind of thing. All rough sketches in a cheap mechanical pencil you'd probably find on the floor in a local highschool.

Gradually, I work the whole page like layers, not paying too much attention to any one part of it, adding layers of more and more detail. Everything gets equal "treatment" on the page, to ensure everything is proportionate to each other. I correct any mistakes made prior as I go, keeping up this process until I have finished the sketch - some details, such as certain outline texturing, are left out because they can get messy with a pencil.

Inking time! The most tedious part of it all, where I regret my decisions to add so much detail to the picture because of how annoying it is to go over every. Single. Line. In pen. Also add things like line texturing, such as making things look fuzzy if need be.

I move to shading and unleash my aggression in a heavy-metal flurry, starting with the darkest parts and gradually moving to lightest. Nothing on the paper should be left a clean white unless it's a light source, or reflecting light. To shade parts of things, I will use a lighter base shade on the whole part that will represent that part at its lightest, then darken the edges and fade towards the center to make it seem round. Example: Clepathian fur is charcoal gray/black, so if its in the light(and not clothed), I will shade a whole exposed limb a light gray, then darken the edges and fade out towards the middle.

I shade very quickly and aggressively, sometimes to the point where I actually end up almost burning the paper(that or its the scent of the gears grinding in my head.)

Each picture usually takes anywhere from 3-5 days, with an average of 6-8 hours each day. Some take longer or shorter, depending on how simple or complex it is, or how many hours I spend in a sitting.

Coloring? Nope: not traditionally at least. I don't color for a few reasons. 1: colorblind. Somewhat. Really hard time distinguishing things on the green/yellow and blue/purple side of things. 2: I'd end up ruining a lot of otherwise good drawings trying to learn how to color. I learn by doing artwork itself, not by tedious and repetitive practice lessons. So, if I ever do color, it will be through digital where I can trial-and-error my way through things at no risk of destroying good pictures.
:iconcitrus-chickadee:
Citrus-Chickadee Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Blue Garden by Citrus-Chickadee   Don't Eat The Weeds by Citrus-Chickadee   New Horizons Date by Citrus-Chickadee   Birthday Bunny by Citrus-Chickadee   Team Mystery by Citrus-Chickadee

I generally do a quick outline sketch in pencil before going over it in ink, then adding any shading / background details afterwards. :nod:
:iconkathe-cat:
kathe-cat Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Student Filmographer
Hey!^^

I love your work is really cool! You received my watch!^^

I wish you ask some thing, what the mark of your print? Bristol is thick for my print.

And there are my work in tratidional:

My Precious by kathe-cat   Universe by kathe-cat   Pokemon! by kathe-cat  

Every is doing with marker in Bristol. The first is do with just black and white colour and some pastel colour with guilty silver gel Pen.
The second is doing in raisin format (into A1 and A2 I believe..) so this piece have take long Time.. I would like show the light.
The third is a Fanart of my team pokemon of pearl and silver.^^

I Hope you like it!
Thanks for sharing that! about the Bristol, it's Bristol paper, not board, usually 250g/120lbs OR thinner than that, I pick the "thickest" one in my store but something around 30% thinner will do it. I think it should do well in any printer, not 100% sure in this.
:iconkathe-cat:
kathe-cat Featured By Owner Jul 14, 2020  Student Filmographer
Oh maybe I try one day!^^
:iconhoppety:
Hoppety Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Koshai Pen drawing by Hoppety
I did this one with pen only, nothing else involved. Even though you can't erase pen, if you sketch light enough you can cover up mistakes later :D
I love the feeling of pen on paper, Idk why, but I like it a ton more than pencils. 

Post-it Animals 3 by Hoppety Post-it animals 2 by Hoppety
Also used to take post-its everywhere and draw on them while waiting at the therapist and stuff. Would look up a reference image on my phone and just start drawing :)
Pen (not the quill ones or technical pens) is one of the guilty pleasures of everyone, just so fluid and subtle ^.^ I like the Koshai one, looks very good.
:iconhoppety:
Hoppety Featured By Owner Jul 14, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you! And yea it's just with one of those common office ball-point pens xD
SoftBoiledArt Featured By Owner Jul 14, 2020  New Deviant Professional Traditional Artist
A lot of people love those, the only problem is that ink fades with time, and that's the only thing preventing them from being super popular imo.
:icongallex91:
Gallex91 Featured By Owner Edited Jul 13, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
hello soft, i have created a video with my art process :)
i hope you will like it!!

youtu.be/EHEGlnk4NmE
Thanks!
:icongreylyra:
GreyLyra Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Student Traditional Artist
Kimora by GreyLyra Img 20200705 204833 by GreyLyra

My 36th Deviation by GreyLyra 15909447720262708220595725588363 by GreyLyra  

I usually start with sketching with a 2B pencil. Its a little bir dark I know but Im comfortable with a soft pencil. Sometimes my sketchs are too detailed so they can be hard to clean. Then I colour. I usually use pastels and derwent coloursoft pencils. Sometimes I use brush pen marker for lines but nowadays I prefer smooth lines. Otherway drawings look too much cartoonish. 
:iconrathaloshunter16:
Rathaloshunter16 Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Riding on Leaper Lizard in Dragon island: Redraw by Rathaloshunter16 Riding on Leaper Lizard in Dragon island by Rathaloshunter16 Welcome to scout troopers little one: Redraw by Rathaloshunter16 Welcome to scout troopers little one by Rathaloshunter16 Rainy autumn patrol by Rathaloshunter16 Rainy autumn patrol: Redraw by Rathaloshunter16 I am traditional artist. Though, there is some photos in my gallery too. I draw on paper and color with pencils. You can see my improvements of my old versions and redrdaws that I have made.
:iconfoxofwonders:
Foxofwonders Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I mostly do digital nowadays, but I also have well over 7 years of traditional art in my gallery (plus Inktober which I always do on paper).
Here's some of my traditional work!

Limbo by Foxofwonders    Fight Back by Foxofwonders    A Cup of Tea by Foxofwonders    Song Of The Trees by Foxofwonders  

I start by making a light pencil sketch to make sure my character fits fine on the page and to get any compositional problems out of the way, then I start defining the contours. After that, I fill in with coloured pencils, typically doing several layers of different colours for every 'single colour' you see. (Except the second piece here, which was greyscale.)
After the colours, depending on how much my pencil lines got faded out, I tend to go over them again.
:iconaquaticjm:
AquaticJM Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020   General Artist
Inktober Day 14: Hyena by AquaticJM

I don't do digital art as much as I used to, but my usual process is to do a rough sketch in pencil, mapping out the areas I need to shade. From there, I just fill in where I needed shading or color~
Add a Comment: