Advertise your commissions and adoptables here ($5 and above only >uO)

:bulletorange:RULES:bulletorange:

:bulletblue: Please only post commissions and adoptables priced *AT LEAST $5 (or 500+ :points:)

One reason why I'm doing this is to help more people get exposure and another reason is because I don't think anyone should be working under $10 an hour if they really put effort into their work.

I think Stephen Silver and these two images put it rather well:

25.media.tumblr.com/e34074d3dc…

24.media.tumblr.com/d152e195b8…

And the cold, hard truth written out in detail by :iconkawiku:
So many artists underpricing...It makes me really sad.
When an artist you want to commission finally open their commissions back and all of their slots are taken in less than a minute.
And I'm sure all the slots would still be taken if the price was increased of x2-x10.
So many artists are still underpricing themselves. People make it a standard for art to sell for so cheap and whenever someone charge more than this standard, which is probably still underpriced, people complain.
By underpricing yourself, you are also contributing to keep the price standard of art low on this site. Charging low can be insulting to other artists, but also to yourself.
Please, don't ever feel like you need to underprice yourself, because of the fear of what other might think or say. You art is worth more than that. There will always be someone complaining, you cannot please everyone. Your time, the efforts, the skills you gained over years of hard work, is worth far way more than a few cents/points.
If you ever open your commissions an

:star:WHY UNDERCHARGING IS A BAD IDEA:star:

"I’ve been wanting to write this for a while, but I’ve stopped myself from doing so because this debate can bring up a lot of negative feelings. Not only that, but I’m going to use myself as an example of what NOT to do, and that’s pretty embarrassing. I feel this message is worth putting out there if someone else can learn from my mistakes. There is probably much more to say on this topic than I’ve written here, these are just the thoughts I’ve gathered for now. I hope this can be useful to some folks, and provoke thought on the topic.

So the big question is… Why is undercharging a bad idea?

Undercutting your peers & devaluing art
I acknowledge that art is not like other products, in that each artist has something unique to offer. But I see skilled artists selling their work for pennies when people of similar skill are trying to make a living off of their work. The effect this has on the market is to devalue art of that level, essentially making it harder for career folk to make a living off of their trade. Your art being a hobby is not an excuse for undercutting your peers.

We all may be competing against each other, but we’re also all in this together as artists. Your fellow artists are the best allies you can come by. It’s in your best interest not to piss off your potential allies, to be perfectly blunt. That does not mean bending over backwards for them, nor does it mean charging inappropriately for your work just for their sake. But don’t charge slave wages just to get business, you’re devaluing the work we ALL do by giving in to this trend.

Digging your own grave
Whether you plan to or not, your art may become a crucial source of income for you someday. Maybe it started out as a hobby, but you found yourself really needing the extra income. Or maybe you lost your other job and you have to support yourself off your art for a while. Or maybe you planned to make it your full time career all along. When you undercharge for your work, you are forced to take on more work to pay your bills. There really is only a finite amount of time you can spend on art, even if you’re working from the moment you wake up to the moment you fall asleep, every day of the week. You get overwhelmed with an amount of work that is impossible to keep up with, and you end up disappointing tons of people and burning out.

This is EXACTLY the mistake I made. I started out with ultra low prices in order to get business. I always told myself I would raise my prices gradually so as not to shock my potential client base and drive away business. What ended up happening was I took on a TON of work thinking I could just work super hard for a month to catch up, and despite working super hard I never caught up. Now I have a long list of clients who I owe, the dreaded “eternal commission queue!” The best I can do is be communicative, own up to my mistake, and try my best to make it right and be fair to everyone on that queue.

Once I started charging a livable wage for my work, found myself with enough free time to REALLY dig into the “old art” list of people who bought my work at the lower rates and have been waiting. I’ve finished more off the “old list” in the last 6 months than I did in the last 2 years combined. I am STILL battling this, though I’ve made so much more progress than I ever have before. This is a sort of a niche issue with private online commissions. Commercial clients don’t go for this shit, you’ll straight up get fired and blacklisted. Do this and fail to be communicative with your clients and you get blacklisted in this niche community too! I consider myself extremely fortunate to have as many patient clients as I have. Not a one of them should have to put up with this long of a wait, yet the vast majority of them do. I am eternally grateful to these people for their willingness to put up with the wait.

Attracting the wrong kind of attention
If you peddle your work as cheap, you and your art are more likely to be treated like they are cheap. The sort of treatment low prices can invite is terrible for one’s self esteem. You are more likely to be pushed around by people who think they can get more out of you. Not to mention you are establishing yourself as an artist who works for practically nothing, so that’s the client base you are going to build! Not that people willing to pay a decent fee for art will never commission you. But when you’re ready to raise your prices you’re cutting out ALL those people only willing to pay small fees as clients. It’s a one step forward two steps back kind of thing, if that makes sense.

But I can’t charge a livable wage for my art, I’m not good enough yet
This isn’t going to be a very popular opinion, and it certainly can’t apply as a blanket statement to EVERY inexperienced artist, but I think the following is something to consider. If your skills are not up to par, or you don’t have enough of an audience to take commissions yet, then just DON’T. You’re inviting a huge mess when you under charge. Some of this online lecture from Noah Bradley sums it up very nicely - www.theartoffreelancing.com/ (skip to 23:33 for this topic, but give the rest a listen if you can)

What to do instead!

Work hard on your skills, post it everywhere, and hobnob with other artists. You’ll make a ton of good contacts and friends, you’ll keep getting better and faster, and you’ll be building your audience all the while. When it comes time to open for commissions, you can charge a decent fee, and take the commission world by storm. Your art will be badass and seen as worth it, you’ll probably be good at finishing work quickly, you’ll have a large audience, and you’ll have artist buddies to cheer you on and maybe help you get some business.

Compete with your fellow artists by being an innovator in the art world instead of undercutting. Become an artist whose work can’t be ignored, and make friends with your competitors instead of enemies. Your work should speak for itself! Nothing bad can come of making artists friends and working hard to become a good artist.

Keep your day job! Don’t bet all your chips on being able to make a living off your art when you first start (another thing I wish I had done). It’s not shameful to have an extra source of income, it’s savvy. And when you’re working, follow a guide similar to this one to stay on track. I continue to look for jobs that will pay me as well or better than the wage I’m currently charging for my art. At the moment the better paying job IS my art, but that doesn’t mean I’m not open to something better.

I think there is a fair amount of luck involved in becoming successful artist, though I hate to admit it. If you’re finding limited success despite your efforts, don’t give up your art. If you remember why you became an artists and keep having fun with your work, you can’t loose regardless of the financial outcome."

-----

(I mean, I know how bad it was to for pennies--in HS, a so-called friend of mine literally threw nickels at me for drawing things that took me over an hour to complete... I don't think anyone should have to go through that Llama Emoji-06 (Depress) [V1] by Jerikuto )

Misc Emoji-13 (Heart) [V1] by Jerikuto Here are some promos of my friends to get started:

:bulletblue: My good friend Michelle is doing $10 quality sketch commissions to pay for a new spare tire Please commission her ;-;

:bulletblue: :iconneobirdy: BJD for sale with photos 1/3 size
:bulletblue: :iconnoblecielphantomhive: ONLINE GARAGE SALE! (OPEN)
:bulletblue: :iconbelzoot: Truffle Ice Cream Prince ADOPT (OPEN SET PRICE)
:bulletblue: :iconhjeojeo: Hjeojeo-Bozrat sketchbook from first half of Oct.

I also have an adoptable and a CG auction OPEN:

V-DAY ACANTI ADOPTABLE SET [OPEN] by kura-ou
EMERGENCY_COUPLE CG AUCTION [OPEN] by kura-ou

This thread will be linked to my profile in the hopes that those of you who post will get more exposure OuO

Thank you so much for participating and good luck with your sales! :iconcutebyeplz:

Comments454
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm currently not accepting any more commissions due to my unstable depression that has been going on and off since before June and had to refund a 2nd commissioner who left a partly passive-aggressive massage in their PayPal refund reques, contributing further to my depression. I have never thought of stealing anyone's money, and have constantly been struggling to draw the way I envision for commissioners, if not for my hard drives failing me and my mental and physical health adding to my stress.

When my mental state becomes more stable, I will write a clearer explanation, but for now, I am and have been very emotionally-drained and anxious. The depression cycle keeps occurring despite me trying so hard to not break down as I worked.

To anyone who thinks it's okay to charge $15 or less on something that took you at least 3 hours, please rethink your position.

Undercharging and having too much underpriced work can lead to depression and/or anxiety (both if you are unfortunate like me and already have horrible anxiety to begin with).

I have already sacrificed my previously-good eyesight to improve, and I'm now struggling with my mental and physical health [from an overload of cheaper-priced commissions]. None of that should ever be outweighed by a few measly dollars. **YOUR HEALTH SHOULD BE MOST IMPORTANT.**
TEAofeyes COMMISSION info {{ OPEN }} by TEAofeyes  Caught by TEAofeyes  I'm Not a Corporat by TEAofeyes  Venice by TEAofeyes  Fettered by Problems by TEAofeyes  
Praise. dA's community is so bad on undercharging.

LINEART $20
Lines. Lines can be color or B/W.
Cecil by AlithographicaKhoshekh by Alithographica Fox(gloves) by Alithographica

- Add $5 for flat coloring
Garnet by Alithographica Foxblood by Alithographica

- Add $15 for blocked-in shadows. Can be done with or without outlines.
Rupphire by AlithographicaIntroducing the Mystery Girl by Alithographica Tasmanian Devil Skull by Alithographica

FULL ILLUSTRATION $60
Fully shaded. Fancy fancy.
The Angel Erika by Alithographica Sonora by AlithographicaGreat Horned Owl by Alithographica 
It is a really important problem you talk about and it is sad that people dont value their own time and work more /:

I try to price my things fairly, and I still feel bad for both selling to cheep and to expensive....
I make my things with a lot of love, tough they are pretty simple, and I work fast, so I gues it's an ok price?

#38 - OPEN by Enteli #32 - OPEN by Enteli  #27 - OPEN by Enteli
i'll draw a sketch for 5 dollars
and color it for 4 more dollars ($9)

(+$2 for extra characters)

ref:
A fuckin' beer for the guitarist! by Ripperfangs  Devastated and frustrated by Ripperfangs  Der Aufschwung by Ripperfangs  THUNDER Tattoo Studio (Fake) by Ripperfangs
First, I'm really happy to see the support towards artists and to let them know that selling their art cheap
(either commissions or adoptables) is something they really shouldn't do and it's bad for them... c':

Misc Emoji-12 (Stars 2) [V1]  I have a Points Adoptable open: The price is 900Pink Points 
Adopt - Rose [Open] by Dreachie
Wonderful to see people actively trying to raise the worth of art as it SHOULD. Art is a luxury, not a necessity. If you can't afford it then you don't need it! Simple as that!
That said, I do commissions at $10 a bust, $20 a halfbody, and $30 a fullbody. Every third character is half off~.

for amberthetabby by princelikespink good enough otl by princelikespink they have three huge fans and i'm one of them by princelikespink  babel is p cute by princelikespink  a header thingy mabob by princelikespink 2016 by princelikespink screencap redraw stevonnie by princelikespink and in other news i am total su trash by princelikespink tongues are cute (Emoji Meme #1) by princelikespink he hungry (Emoji Meme #2) by princelikespink probably crying over a broken nail (Emoji Meme #3) by princelikespink
Here's my price sheet: !!!COMMISSIONS ARE OPEN!!! by XxBattleLionessxX
and here's a few examples!
COMM: Inferno Ref by XxBattleLionessxX COMM: Shallow Divide by XxBattleLionessxX COMM: Torn to Shreds by XxBattleLionessxX Hey Guys!/Hello internet. by XxBattleLionessxX COMM: Light up the Forest by XxBattleLionessxX
Thank you very much, I think what you're doing is great!
Open Commissions by Lollypopsnbows
Bump for everyone ^^
SET PRICED Adopts [OPEN] by sweetbream SET PRICE Adopts [OPEN] by sweetbream
these have adopts that are over $5 but not by much lol

i also have commissions open that range between 5 - 25 usd
(OPEN) Kemonomimi Batch 2 SET PRICE - 1/3 by milky-weii  [OPEN] Dip-Dyed KEMONOMIMI ADOPTS - 2/7 by milky-weii  

Commission examples:
1-800-Banana by milky-weii  CM: cutesu (1/2) by milky-weii  CM: cutesu (2/2) by milky-weii  
Hi! Thank you for the thread.
I would like to share my commission info

Commission (Paypal) by akaxkasu94
2015_CHIBI BASE O.S. SET I (OPEN) by kura-ou - I'm reselling the last one because the last person who owned him hated me and resold him back to me. I couldn't trust her to sell him on her own. I wouldn't know what would happen to this adopt if I didn't refund her, which goes against my policy, and buy him back myself :(

I'm low on funds for bills, and any help is greatly appreciated.
Here's my commission sheet:
Traditional commission! by SweetHeartBalloon