Need 40 pages of simple B&W line art by June 30

I'd like to buy 40 pictures for a fic which I want to make into a picture book.  I want very simple black & white line art or ink art, minimalist, about 100 strokes per picture. (More strokes isn't bad; it's just too slow and expensive for me.)

The job is basically 4 very simple and 9 not-as-simple backgrounds, plus 70-80 figures (that's one old man 40 times, the unicorn 14 times, a salesman 5 times, a poet 4 times, a little girl 3 or 4 times, and 8-15 children and parents with 1 appearance each).

Not realistic 3D art.  Not manga. Not kawaii, but not serious or somber either.  Preferably in some style of your own.

Think of Shel Silverstein's
The Giving Tree.

Or The Little Prince.

Or The Phantom Tollbooth.

Or Ernest Shepherd's illustrations for Winnie-the-Pooh.
Or Harold's Purple Crayon.

Please do click on the links and look at those pictures; they explain what I want better than words can.

Most of those pictures have no background to speak of, and leave most of the page blank.  That's what I'm looking for.  For instance, the scenes in the garden don't need clouds, birds flying overhead, a house in the background, or even the grass outside of the garden.  The garden is just some flowers with some blades of grass off to either side.  Literally like 6-10 flowers from a side view.  The scenes indoors don't need calendars on the wall, patterns on the wall, knotholes in wood, or anything like that.  Enough to know this is a home, this is a store.

No shadows, no shading unless it's simple, like the dots or crosshatches in the examples above.  You can use grayscale, just don't go all 3D or realistic on me.  Showing each scene in profile or side view is fine.  No need for 3D perspective or fancy camera angles unless you want to.

Color is a plus, but only if each picture still works in grayscale.

Each page will have one picture and 0 to 4 lines of text.
Location headings note places where the artist can re-use backgrounds.  There are only 13 different locations or views, so you don't have to draw more than 13 backgrounds.  Re-using backgrounds is good, because repetition is part of the story's style.  This means that the figures will need to make broad gestures or expressions to make the different illustrations using the same background distinct.

Here are the first 6 pages:

(1) EXT. GARDEN

Once there was an old man who worked in his flower garden every day.

[There's no ART line here because the text implies it's a picture of an old man working in a flower garden. The introductory notes have already explained that the old man is grumpy throughout.]

(2) INT. MAN'S HOUSE

He grew petunias and pansies, daisies and daffodils, carnations and chrysanthemums, all for his wife.

[ART: The old man coming indoors, wiping sweat from his forehead with one hand, holding flowers in the other.]

(3) INT. BEDROOM

[No text]

[ART: One wall of the old man's bedroom. In the center of the picture is a dresser or other piece of furniture, with a photograph of his wife on it, and a vase by the photo, holding the flowers that the old man carried in the previous picture. The old man is walking off-stage, moving in the opposite direction than he was on the previous page to indicate he has come and now is leaving. He still looks grumpy. You don't have to show the entire bedroom or the entire man; waist-up of him is fine here, and you want to get close enough in for us to see that the photo is of an old woman.]

(4) EXT. GARDEN

One morning, the old man went out to pull weeds from the garden, like he did every morning.

[ART: The old man kneeling in the garden. Behind him, a unicorn is watching.]

(5) EXT. GARDEN

[No text]

[ART: The old man looks behind him and sees the unicorn smiling at him. He doesn't react.]

(6) EXT. SIDEWALK

After he finished weeding the garden, he walked to the gardening store.

(7) INT. STORE

"How can I help you?" the salesman asked.

"I need something that will keep unicorns out of my garden," the old man said.

The salesman blinked in surprise.  "Unicorns are imaginary," he said.

"Then it shouldn't be too hard to find something that will keep them out of my garden," the old man said.

All 40 need to be done by the last day of June.

Price must include rights to reproduce each picture electronically and in print, and, in case I need to tweak something for printing, whatever source file you used to make it.

If you're interested, reply with:

• a link to artwork you've done

• what you'd charge to do all 40 by June 30, in dollars, Euros, or pounds

• what you'd charge as a kill fee for a watermarked sample drawing of page 5 above

• any questions you have for me

"Kill fee" means how much I pay you for the sample drawing if I decide not to buy it.  The lower it is, the more likely I am to ask for a sample.

For faster response, email me at badhorse43@gmail.com .

Thanks!

Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Cci21052019 4 by CarloGarde   Cci21052019 3 by CarloGarde   Cci21052019 2 by CarloGarde   Teen Titans by CarloGarde   Kara2 by CarloGarde   Steamy Hot by CarloGarde   Ww by CarloGarde   Doc 2 by CarloGarde   Beat Down by CarloGarde  Please check me out. Carlo
note sent
    Sketch from 2015 by RoeeateR  Destiny character commission by RoeeateR   Character Concept Art SKETCH by RoeeateR  Snake Eater 2017 Retouch by RoeeateR   Dix by RoeeateR   Final by RoeeateR  Grimes update by RoeeateR    SOUL JACKER book covers by RoeeateR     link to 360 wip version in the description by RoeeateR
Here are some examples of my work. If you think I'd be a good fit for your ideas, please note me here to discuss further, where I can answer you questions.

Pin-up Pic' - Twisted Line by Granitoons BATTLE OF THE SANTAS by Granitoons Commission: Not so ugly jumpers by Granitoons Mummy and the Beanstalk by Granitoons Commission: The (fe)male must get through! by Granitoons Commission: Bintish Airways by Granitoons
19 Caractacus P. Doom and Harry Slime by Granitoons DG - The Coupon Crisis! - part 3 by Granitoons Commission: No Smoking in Reggie's Bar by Granitoons
I like your Saipat Riding Piranant and your Quickly Done Tree!  (They're still more elaborate than I need.)
im a professional and published artist with experience with Portraits, Covers, concept art
I have work on novels, comics, art for tv, logos, Video and board game and a celebrity commission. 
feel free check out my work. I can do many things, 

People, pets, NSFW, can mimic many styles. Will draw almost anything.

email at balthazar2005@yahoo.com

Z2 by HeroforPain Z3 by HeroforPain Z4 by HeroforPain Z5 by HeroforPain Fire Emblem - Leon by HeroforPain #78 Jason takes Manhattan by HeroforPain

Mature Content

#4 Chun Li Pinup by HeroforPain
#94 Dustin Pixel by HeroforPain
Hey there, I'm interested in the job if it's still available. I have a black and white style that could work for your book. Note me here or email me at turnipheadart@gmail.com if interested.  Best of luck on your project.
20181031 144257 by turnipheadart   20181031 144033 by turnipheadart   Fishface by turnipheadart   Ancient Lich1 by turnipheadart   Akiho Dark by turnipheadart   Akiho Strikes Back by turnipheadart   Reading Sketch 2 by turnipheadart   26d331dd-aa10-4901-9c82-5d0861ad14e0 by turnipheadart   Tratsh Can by turnipheadart   Lust2 by turnipheadart   20181031 144224 by turnipheadart  
Hello,
What format of book, what size of page?  A5? Page horizontally or vertically oriented?

i'm interested
www.behance.net/gallery/790940…
www.behance.net/gallery/792059…
black-white illustration here     www.behance.net/gallery/469075…
069 by constan-lerois          my comic pages my project episode 1 by constan-lerois episod 2 by constan-lerois episod 4 by constan-lerois
"Kill fee" per page 15$

Great question.  I want to print it in 2 different formats, one with a page aspect ratio 1:1, the other 4:3.  That's not the drawing aspect ratio unless the drawing covers the whole page, which isn't what I expect--I'm asking for line art like the examples I gave, that has minimal background & doesn't go all the way out to the edges.  So the drawing has to leave space for the text.  Each page has a different number of lines of text, which is shown in the script.

Both formats will have drawings about 5" wide, on pages about 8.25" wide plus .125" of bleed on every edge, @ 600 dpi.
Hi dear, I'd really love working on commission for you!!! please check out my gallery for more samples! t.co/H0E7rpGFXQ

TWITCH (banner / emotes): t.co/OvqEQoaWYE
REFERENCE SHEETS: t.co/QIRvbuIl6Y
FURRY/ANTHRO/FERAL: t.co/mRJgUIBvcF
HUMAN/HUMANOID: t.co/NtZk5pwyDc
CHIBI: t.co/luiQ3uU4s1
MLP: t.co/sJA9i7Npb2
POKèMON: t.co/KHu0kh7RRh
BACKGROUNDS: t.co/FgClhDmW5O
PIXEL: t.co/hN6R0ciazf
ANIMATIONS: t.co/JZda4F7JJu
My Prices usually vary according to general complexity of the drawing: how many characters there are,if fullbody, if coloured or not, if there is a background or not, if traditional or digital. So, just tell me exactly which is your idea FOR EACH IMAGE, and I'll do my best to make you happy!! I just DON'T PRINT image myself. 
I can start as soon as received payment since I have just finished my latest commission :) I am really fast and hardworking, you will see :)

inktober day 1 #poisonous by Cipple   INKTOBER18 COMMISSION by Cipple   Day 2 inktober #tranquil by Cipple   Inktober day 3 by Cipple   tangled in adventurtime style by Cipple   My inktober first and second weeks by Cipple   Pistrella aka soldo di cacio concept art by Cipple   my novel OC DEVELOPMENT by Cipple   Db2dccb6-f98b-461b-851f-18041a72e28c by Cipple   3e0017ea-7d6f-4a60-8b99-d3004dedcde2 by Cipple