Anyone here keen on grunge still?

Any other grunge rockers out there in DA land? I'm looking to watch more metal heads. Seriously needing some new inspiration lately. 

I've missing the grunge era lately. I grew up listening to that stuff on the radio and like, nearly every single band from that age has had at least one member cark it waaaay too early from accidental overdoses or suicides. It's crazy- and it has had a massive effect on a lot of musicians all over the place, losing our hero's when they coulda still been in their prime. I wanna find Eddie Vedder and wrap him in bubblewrap and cotton wool, lol. 

Put your fav grunge track in the comments :) 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxKWTz…
Comments17
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Nirvana. Only true grunge band imo. LOved them. Shame all we get now is tripe like Ed Sheeran.
I was into all the big grunge bands in their day. Alice In Chains endures the most for me. I still listen to AIC frequently, whereas Nirvana or old Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, mostly I will just rock out when the tune comes on the radio. I will put on AIC, though. I think because they are a little more metal than the others, and I'm more of a metal guy.
Y'know I used to be very much into grunge when I was in high school (both the mainstream era of the early 90's and the Sub Pop era of the late 80's), but as I got older I came to the realization that a lot of grunge bands really weren't that musically interesting.  It mostly boils down to most of those bands not really doing much that their influences didn't already do better.

The initial Sub Pop stuff from the 80's is neat in a historical curios kind of way.  That a whole scene of punk tried to meld the noisy aspects of British punk with the sludgy sounds of Black Sabbath & My War-era Black Flag is cool to me, but it's not like a lot of the music from that era really holds up that well.

Kurt's warped pop instincts made some Nirvana material interesting enough, but at times it did seem like he wore his influences (e.g. Wipers, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Husker Du, etc.) a little too heavily on his sleeve.  Of course he was very fond of showing love to whatever music he liked in interviews, concerts and the like, so I ain't mad at them.

Screaming Trees had a quaint lo-fi psychedelic sound in their early years, but once they hit the majors they lost a lot of what made them interesting in the first place (Lanegan's solo stuff is a lot better in my opinion).

Alice in Chains were basically a hair metal band that wandered into the Seattle sound and managed to make it work for them organically & commercially (something Warrant was not able to do).

Pearl Jam are pretty much classic rock radio from 1969 to 1987 melted down into one band.  It's like music engineered for those that think mainstream rock from that era is somehow the pinnacle of musical creativity and that everyone who wants to be "taken seriously as artists" should make music indebted to that era.  Of course the members of Pearl Jam don't come off as being that elitist themselves, and overall they seem like good people so I ain't mad at them for what they do.  Admittedly I still rather like their album "Yield" if only because they managed to not sound overly derivative of their favorite bands and came through with some of their best songwriting.

Post-grunge sucks now and forever.

If I had to pick out who still comes off as musically interesting to me from the whole grunge scene, I'd say it's Soundgarden, Melvins, and Mudhoney:
  • Melvins are pretty much godfathers to a number of metal subgenres that came after them (e.g. stoner metal, sludge metal, etc.) and probably have the largest number of good albums out of any grunge band.  It probably helps that they were willing to be weird and goofy whenever they wanted to.
  • Soundgarden arguably matured the most as songwriters out of any other grunge band that went without ever getting completely dour like some of their contemporaries.  A lot of what made their sound distinct came more from their personalities as songwriters than just their influences.  I'd say Badmotorfinger is the best album with the grunge label attached to it.  It's just a shame that Audioslave lacked pretty much everything that made Soundgarden good.  I guess Thayil and Sheppard really were integral influences on Cornell as a songwriter.
  • Mudhoney's scuzzy take on 60's garage rock & hardcore punk has aged surprisingly well and in some ways kinda tops some of its predecessors in terms of energy and rage (depending on the record, of course).
I'm too young to have known the bands in their prime, I love the music though. I can hardly believe Yield's 20 years old now... my all-time favourite album's 3 years older than I am lmao
But my birthdays will be bittersweet now. Chris died 6 days (or a week? I dunno, timezones are weird) before my birthday last year :c That really messed me up for a few days. I still can't process it to be honest... And I haven't listened to Say Hello 2 Heaven since then :d

I dunno if Hater and the Wellwater Conspiracy really count as "grunge" but I love them too ahah

If I had to pick a favourite song... Either Tremor Christ, Applebite, No Way, A Little Bitter, Limo Wreck, and probably the entirety of Badmotorfinger because that album is a masterpiece
Picking one is completely impossible

nooo i didn't make any mistake here, what makes you think that..? (':
"I can hardly believe Yield's 20 years old now... my all-time favourite album's 3 years older than I am."

You are the first person I've ever seen rep Yield as their favorite Pearl Jam album.  Respect due for a good ass choice (honestly I think Yield is the best album they ever did).
I used to like Vs more but Yield grew on me... a lot :d
I remember thinking "who the hell singer is this" when I first listened, cause I'd only heard Vs and Ten before that, but after while I started to like it a lot and now here I am, using No Code as a mousemat. hehe

I'd say No Code and Vs are tied for second favourite, but Tremor Christ is my favourite song overall. I don't like Vitalogy as an album that much- it has a few really great songs but as an album Yield's definitely my favourite. The first half especially is one of my favourite things to listen to, or even just the first three songs
Oh mate, Cornell was my god. I had a teenage shrine to him when I was in highschool a kabillion years ago. His work with Audioslave after soundgarden broke up was just amazing, too. Have you got the Superunknown album? It has to be up there in my top 5 albums of all time. Black Hole Sun, Pretty Noose, etc are all just mind blowing (Although Pretty Noose hits way too close to home now :(
I've got a CD of the deluxe version of Superunknown they released a few years ago with an extra disc full of demos, B-sides, rehearsals, alternate mixes and all that good stuff o: I have all their albums in some form apart from King Animal because I can't find it anywhere. I got the remastered Ultramega OK on vinyl, and I found Screaming Life/Fopp, but never King Animal for some reason. :d

I really like Audioslave's first album and some of the second one, I haven't listened to the third one a lot though. I have a Chris Cornell radio mod in Fallout 4 that has a few Audioslave songs in it, I love running around and blowing things up to Exploder :) I love Pretty Noose still, DOTU in general is a beautiful album
Grunge beats any of the mainstream rock that came after it. Fuck Nu Metal, and whatever the fuck Nickelback, Lighthouse, and Creed was.
To be more concise, I listened to "Nevermind" like not even two years ago, and I did not expect to be so impressed and enthralled by it. I felt proud of myself to finally enjoy music that WASN'T from the 1980's, though.

Also, if Stone Temple Pilots count as Grunge, then double my response, because STP is one of my favorite bands, specifically when Scott Weiland was fronting it.
STP is most definitely grunge! Weiland was a lyrical genius. It was a real shame he went downhill so badly and ruined his name. 

There's a song by them called "Creep" that I love, along with "Interstate Love Song". 

Nu metal had a few good hits, but video killed the radio star and now mainstream is all about looks, not voices or originality (in my opinion). Its all songs written by ghost-writers for the beautiful people. 

Thanks for replying :)
Scott also died in 2015, too, so I'm kind of sad to hear he was at his lowest when he died. I heard he fronted a band called "Velvet Revolver" after he left STP, but I've yet to hear anything from that group.

Those are great STP songs to love. If you like those, then you might like their biggest (and I think first) hit "Plush." I also have fondness for some of their more "heavier" stuff, like "Sex Type Thing" and "Down."
Dude (or Dudette!), Velvet Revolver was awesome. Definitely try and listen to a few tracks- I used to work at an orchard and the high pace of the music had me working heaps better while I flogged through the paddocks. There's something about rock music that just gets people moving, hey.
Cool! I will definitely check them out at some point!
Here's my top three grunge bands. 

1. Alice In Chains
2. The Melvins
3. Nirvana 

Just to give you a couple of fun facts about myself; My uncle actually met Layne Staley once, and I've seen Soundgarden live at one of my local festivals during their reunion tour - We were very lucky.  
The Melvins are so underappreciated. <3
oh woops didn't mean to reply to that

sorry ahaha