Eminem thrives off his 1999-2002 vibe

Ever since this window has closed on Eminem, he's been trying to recapture the lightning trapped in a bottle. Between 1999 he released the SSLP, MMLP and the Eminem Show. 2004 brought Encore, 2005 brought Curtain Call. When Eminem did Relapse and Recovery, while he was recording the music together, in an interview before Relapse's drop date he said that those two albums were "like the Marshall Mathers LP and the Slim Shady LP". Then he released the MMLP2 in 2013 with the same title as MMLP 1, and now he's dropping new Stan and 8 Mile merchandise and Revival's gonna be heavily influenced by Stan and previous hits it seems. 

I'm not saying this 1999-2002 window wasn't good, he was excellent, I just wish he could try something that doesn't have to be connected to his old stuff, the new stuff could stand on its own.
Comments10
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Some other musicians have "tried new stuff" and it wound up being ill-fated.
I feel like his current style is repetitive. 
But I don't think it sounds derivative of his old school vibe. If it was, I'd like his new shit more. I don't really think that MMLP2 sounded that much like the original. There were references to it, but sonically I found it really diffey rent. 
In my opinion, Eminem's worst sound was in Recovery. 
That's not his worst album, which was Encore, but it was his worst sound in my opinion. It was the start of him becoming boring. That's when Eminem took a trip to mid-tempo ballad land and never left. 
I think my disappointment with that album is why I found MMLP 2 to be a bit refreshing. 

But I do not care for his new song with Beyonce. Didn't hate it and I thought she did a great job and he did too, but the song itself didn't interest
it seems all of his songs have the same beat, similar lyrics and similar style to me these days.  when I listen to him on YT it's like his style hasn't changed.  perhaps that's how he's failing in today's music industry, well that and some fans don't like politics in everything.  I was a fan of his early stuff, but nothing new he is producing is appealing to me anymore.
Meh, I still like him Shrug 
I mean sure he had his goldenyears--like any artist does--they have shit to say then. Determination to make a change or at the least a statement, that's just your 20s-30s for you. That's the age of rebellion and reformation, personally or artistically. It'll explode if it isn't expressed.
He's more at the age that you admire your legacy, now--that said he's still an artist and artists create, it's cheap therapy, anyway.

Besides if I have to put up with tweens singing the diary entries of Taylor Swift or swooning over Princess Beiber's latest fairytale lovestory I'm not gonna judge Eminem for producing something that actually entertains people. Maybe not all but nothing's worth much if everybody loves it.

What I'm finding more depressing is the state of the music industry in general.
Their lackluster attempt to produce or find actual performers/entertainers is pretty sickening. Lazyass'd fucks.
Instead they send in the clones! All the Beiber's in the world.
And Disney better hurry up and buy the rights to their love story before Lifetime does.
Much as I enjoy Eminem, I think he should call it quits.
Eminem is one of those artist that his time came and went he relly needs to just fuck off plus he's a whiny bitch that makes fun of others but heaven forbid someone says anything about him
Eminem is one of the most overrated artists in the history of music. He's a whiny arrogant prick who's incapable of accepting criticism and the only people who like his music are idiotic immature 12 year olds
Finally, someone who sees what I see. If you want good hip hop, stick with Public Enemy and Cypress Hill.
Well, that was his heyday, so it's understandable.