Clifford first look

So Paramount have released the first look at the live action Clifford the big red dog film as well as the look of the title character Clifford The Big Red Dog - First Look - Paramount Pictures - YouTube

What's most strange is how the internet seems so horrified by it. 

My question is....why? I mean, it's a big red dog, what were they expecting it to look like?
Comments28
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
People just like getting outraged over things these days.

It's not horrible. It's just a slightly uncanny CGI red dog, there's not much more to it. And you know what? I'm not even against remakes of things. Studios have to make money to finance their riskier, potentially better films, and remakes tend to make a reliable buck off of people with low standards. My only issue is that the movie industry seems to be gravitating towards playing it safe too much. Reboots have their place, but their place is not the spotlight.

Yeah. Besides there really isn't much you can do with clifford design wise.

He's not been stylised all that much. That comes across as incredibly lazy and uninspired. Based on the tune alone in the background, this film will be just like all those other talking animal flicks.
They couldn't just tint a dog red and use computers to change his size? They HAD to animated a wobbly CGI puppet? That they couldn't even tint red? I'm for worker's unions, but maybe the ones for Hollywood CG artists have too much power.

Again, perhaps you'll change your mind when you actually see it in a scene with other colors and lighting instead of just a white background. I mean look at the genie in the aladdin remake. Everyone complained about how he looked in the first teaser, but then in the next trailer when he's in broad day light he looks much better.

Casting the empty zombie corpse of Will Smith as the Genie did not impress me, nor did the green screen.

Have you ever seen will smith in literally anything?

Seems harmless to me. People really blow things out of proportion sometimes.
Not gonna lie, he looks pretty weird as an "realistic" CGI puppet.

Maybe people will change their minds when he's actually in a scene where there's actually light instead of a white background.

Maybe it is one of those things that we just need to get used to.

Yeah. I mean the other day watched the theatrical cut of justice league and while supermans erased mustache looks weird at first, you eventually get used to it as you watch the film

it's not up to the adults, so seems like they have a problem.  let the kid(s) watch it and let them decide.  it's entertainment either way.

Yeah. I mean adults say kids deserve better, but they don't really know whats best for them given that they dont belong to that group. Its the moral lesson in little mermaid, have faith in your kid's abilites

Why can't they just...?
Another uninspired "live action" CGI movie, and the dog's fur doesn't even look properly red, it just looks like they put a lazy colour filter it. Why live-action and not more cartoony, like the source books?

If it was bright red and cartoony then it would've looked pretty out of place standing next to the normal dogs now would it?

We're also talking about a big red dog, so we're not exactly talking about the most realistic dog. Although Clifford didn't even look that big in the preview either, I suppose, which just adds more to the mediocrity pile

By cartoony, I just meant the whole movie should be a similar art style to the books, not a Roger Rabbit type of thing

So just make it animated

Eh. It’s just a big red dog. It could’ve been worse; we could have gotten something like the hideous live-action Garfield or the crime against nature that was the original live-action Sonic (before he was redesigned). 

The worst I could say about this Clifford movie is that it seems sort of...pointless? I don’t know. But then, I’ve never had any strong feelings or emotional attachment over Clifford the Big Red Dog, so what do I know?
You say that as if the redesign wasn't also putrid. Hell, it got the studio shut down.

Well you never know.

It's kind of meh looking, but I always have low expectations for CG dogs to begin with.