Pocahontas 25th anniversary

Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
While it's not my favorite of the Disney Renaissance, I do still admire a few things about the movie such as the animation, the songs, most of the characters, etc. I always liked Meeko, Flit and Percy and thought they were cute sidekicks despite not having much dialogue :3 Pocahontas is also pretty great as she was a nice mix of curious adventurer, was humble and she cared for her people. The relationship between Poca and John Smith was nice for what it was despite not being historically accurate. I like how their romance didn't end up with them being together and had to move apart which is a nice change of status quo from most Disney relationships.
Highly recommend Terence Malick's THE NEW WORLD, to get the bitter taste of that Disney @#&% out of your mouths!
4ed6f383932ef8c027f7c33509eed150 by ObesiusMaximus  
Good recommendation. It does do a similar thing of dressing up the actual history, but as a fictional movie it's quite beautiful.
Ah yes, that shitty Disney movie that ignorant old white politicians reference when talking about Indigenous people or anyone with that kind of heritage because reading books or trying to actually understand Native American culture is too hard for the farts who constantly violate treatments and steal more land for oil.

The Colours of the Wind are brown with some green and yellow because it all came from Disney's ass. 
I have more appreciation for this movie now on an artistic level (I even own a copy of the original "Art of" book) and because of the music, but it was never one of my absolute favorite animated films during the Disney Renaissance and I can certainly see its flaws. Disney has always been known for making artistic and creative liberties with adapting stories to tell their version of it, but when they happen to be adapting a story based on historical real life events, then that is when these creative liberties can prove to be most controversial and problematic.

And as far as the comic relief characters go like Meeko and Flit, they're cute in their own way, but they just don't have the same edge of a lot of their other comic relief characters like Timon & Pumbaa or Mushu.

I don't hate Pocahontas, but I will easily put Aladdin, Lion King, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, and that same year's A Goofy Movie over it any day. Then again only reason why I have Pocahontas in my digital library of Disney movies, but not Lion King, is because I know that the animation of Pocahontas hasn't been tinkered around with constantly since its original release with every new Special Edition re-release Disney has made over the years. If not for that I would definitely be streaming Lion King more.
an insult to native American history, great entertainment for little kids.  I can only imagine the mundane live action that is bound to come.
Given how Disney have been remaking all their animated films, Pocahontas is ironically one of the few that actually could benefit from a live action remake. 
A big waste to good character designs.
They took one of the darkest chapters in American history and turned it into yet another run-of-the-mill Disney Fairy Tale...complete with lots of liberties taken to rewriting history. This is almost up there with the animated TITANIC movies.

BTW, John Smith was a 30-something drunken lout, and Pocahontas was 13. Yeah, great idea for a ship.
After The Black Cauldron I would say that Disney wanted to shy away from making their animated films too dark, and started to see a winning formula with their comic relief characters and Broadway musical type of storytelling. Even Hunchback of Notre Dame had these elements put into it so that, even with the darker themes of the movie, it wouldn't seem as dark for Disney compared to The Black Cauldron. So should it really be any surprise if their re-imagining of Pocahontas wasn't going to be as dark as the actual historical events it may have been based on.

Then again I can see the problem: if taking artistic liberties with real life events for animation is (understandably) too controversial, then just do it with any of the fictional stories you adapt instead.
Lets be real. They tried to tell a story and it was terrible.

Mother tree gets torn down.
John Smith is jailed
King of England is a joke
She ends up getting married to save her life............hardly the truth of the tale.
They make the founder of Virgina look like an tyrant. It was funny the first time around but honestly.

Disney seems so @#$#!#king cute and all but lets be real. It is childish amusement teaching girls to worship money and do whatever it takes to land that prince
if this is about the Disney movie, i just want to say i dont care what the haters critique, this is a beautiful movie that i love.