Controversial steven universe question

Did pearl love rose more than greg did
Comments7
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hmmm... that's a good question... Pearl definitely obsessed over Rose a great deal more that Greg did, but that comes down more to the nature of their characters. Pearl, for the longest time, pretty much defined her whole existence around her connection to Pink/Rose, which of course is understandable given that she was literally made to serve her. Like AlyssaStehle said, Rose wanted to be on equal grounds, not just with Pearl and Greg, but with everyone inhabiting Earth, so Pearl's inability to see herself as anything but subservient to Rose most likely was frustrating for her. Therefore, despite genuinely caring for Pearl with whatever variation of love she had for her, this would inevitably put a strain on things, and would in and of itself make her more drawn to someone like Greg, who admired her for everything she was, but also had enough self-respect to not follow that unhealthy path.

Of course, that analysis became more about Rose's feelings for Pearl and for Greg than about their feelings for her... but on that point, I honestly don't know how the "quantity" of love for someone from one individual can be compared to the love for that person from another individual... It is a concept that inspires one to think, however, which is always good. :)
Perl didn't love Rose in a healthy way.  Maybe it was "more" but it was obsessive, jealous, and...not good.

Personally, I wouldn't be attracted to someone who obsessed over me.  I can see the appeal of Greg from Rose's perspective.  He loved her and wanted to be equal.  Pearl could never view Rose that way.
If I can be straight with you, I was hoping someone else would notice that too. I got the fact that Rose was gone, and Pearl missed her but it was just nonstop through out the entire series almost. I mean, both Amethyst and Garnet and hell even Steven himself both had their character development in dealing with Rose being gone (although I think Lion might be another clue that Rose isn't entirely gone but that's another story.)

I get that Pearl has the more aesthetically pleasing design so that's why she seems to get a lot of love from the fans but still.
I dunno... the power dynamic between Pearl and Pink Diamond was weird, but now that we know Rose isn't Pink Diamond, everything is different. 
No one can love(or hate) more passionately than a fanatic can, so in that regard, she probably did.