What movies need sequels?

My vote is the The Legend of Tarzan. Why? Because every decade we get a Tarzan reboot, but no sequels. I'm kind of sick of watching Tarzan's origin story over and over again. Please Hollywood stop rebooting Tarzan!

With other franchises like Zorro we get a 3-4 sequels of it before we get a reboot. However, Tarzan hasn't gotten any since the 60's. In the 80's, we even got 2 reboots in 4 years. WTF?
Comments85
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The funny thing is, there are actually a good number of Tarzan books, which leaves room for lots of material.

I feel like it would be harder to adapt Tarzan now because it's considered politically incorrect. The books are quite racist, which isn't surprising because of the time period they were written in. If they do reboot Tarzan again, we'll probably see tons of journalists on Huffington Post, Everyday Feminism, and Vox complaining about how "problematic" it is.
That's what I'm saying, there's a lot of Tarzan material to explore. Constantly rebooting it to continuously tell the same story over and over again doesn't serve the vast material available to you. As for the racist content, most of that can easily be rewritten or removed. There's also other franchises that suffers from reboot ad nauseum, and those are Robin Hood and King Arthur. Did you know there are currently 7 Robin Hood reboots in the works? At least those had the excuse of having not much more material to cover.
That is true...racist content can easily be rewritten. When Peter Jackson rebooted the original King Kong, which contained a stereotypical Chinese cook, he kept the character but made his portrayal much less stereotypical.

Robin Hood and King Arthur are characters from British folklore, so you really can't reboot them.
Yep, I also want an Alita: Battle Angel sequel! The movie was a breath of fresh air, in terms of being very sincere storytelling, and the action was a lot more glorious than the action in the past several years of big-budget sci-fi/fantasy-themed movies. The action wasn't muddled.
Woot! :highfive:

Are you a fan of the original manga and OVA too? 
It's one of those things that I have heard of but have never consumed. Once I actually realized that the "James Cameron Battle Angel Alita" movie was actually happening, I was thinking of either looking into the source material, or intentionally avoiding it in order to see the movie first.

Now I am interested in the source material!
That's EXACTLY what I was hoping for! Glad that you're interested now! :la:
After seeing Alita: Battle Angel, I REALLY want a sequel for it.

Not just because I'm a big fan of the source material (and I wanna slog off how great the manga is :shakefist:), but because.....well....

SPOILERS. SORT OF.

The movie didn't really HAVE an ending. Nothing was really accomplished and there were a lot of questions that still needed to be answered.

Also I really want them to get to Desty Nova, cause I love that psychopathic flan eating asshole. :XD:

I'm not "expecting" it to have a sequel, but I'd sure as hell love one.
After watching it, I was assuming that there will be a second part of this movie, yes.

Really quite surprising that thats apparently not the case.
You never know. Worse movies have gotten sequels.

Plus James Cameron is a HUGE fan of the source material. I doubt he wants to abandon it.

Though if we really don't, I'll be disappointed but it'll be all right. In all fairness we were REALLY lucky to even get the first film in the first place. So I'm pretty satisfied regardless.

Even if we don't get an actual sequel, the movie will still open doors for the franchise in other ways too. The Ghost in the Shell film did (and I gave that movie a LOT of flack). :XD:
First off.

Tarzan had a tv series. In fact I believe there is even a Latin/Spanish speaking tv series under a different name.

Original Tarzan. The big buff blonde cartoon comic strips. is done. It is Tarzan but of a different generation.

George of the Jungle another cartoon in my opinion expands on the original but as a comedy animation cartoon. The movie in my opinion bombed but not as much as "Super-Boy" the tv series.

In Haffy Jappy Manga world there exsist many comics in relative to the Tarzan series.

Back in the west they have a couple of cave-man movies like "Clan of the Cavebear".

Honestly why spend money on this nonsense
Because they'll make another Tarzan film in 5 or so years, like they always do. They do the same with Zorro, but at least Zorro gets 1-2 sequels before it gets rebooted. Tarzan, however, is constantly rebooted.
They gotta keep the money and memory flowing. Think about it like this. When your two hundred and staring at things wondering where you are in this world. They will reboot things like crazy even if they are unorgiinal
At the moment I could think of...

Bullitt.  (If only they could have made the sequel at that time, when Steve McQueen was still alive.)

Kelly's Heroes.  (If only they could make the sequel when Clint Eastwood and Donald Sutherland were still in their perk ages and Telly Savalas was still alive. The sequel could have been set few months or one in the last months of WWII, and this time, they plan to rob a train for more gold, or for expensive art, instead of rob a bank), and again behind the lines!

Midnight Cowboy.

Paul.

Wind River.

The Quick and the Dead.

Well, that's all I could think of right off the top of my head. There may be some other movies that I would like to see made as sequels.
I had an argument with someone a year ago about Comic Book movies. That person stated he can't wait till comic book movies go the way of the westerns. I retorted, they still make about 3-5 westerns every year, the same number of comic book movies. So in a way, it already has from the start.
Hmm cant think of any.

But what about unfinished tv shows ?

The one thing I feel very strong about is that I want the missing other six and a half seasons of Firefly. The window of opportunity for that is definitely closing.

I also wished there was more of Twin Peaks. Unfortunately the actors have played a big part in why its so great, so thats not gonna happen.

The problem with sequels is that they're usually, well ... garbage.

Like the sequels to The Matrix. Awful !

Or Sin City. Actually that one is still kind of tolerable, adding Eva Green and Juno Temple into the array of amazing actors, but it doesnt reach the quality of the original at all.

There are of course exceptions and if people manage that, it gets really good.

Like Alien, which generated at least one, if not two good sequels.

Or Star Wars, though the prequels wouldnt reach the level of the original triology and whatever Disney is doing, I'm not paying attention to that anyway.

And theres the rare case of a sequel being better than the original.

Like Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Its even better than The Terminator.

Or recently I saw Predators. What can I say, I was kind of bored. To my amazement it was WAY better than the original and a really good movie overall. I'd have to say for what it is, its a 10/10 movie. In absolute terms of course its merely 8/10 or some such, because you cannot get better with this type of movie. Still the dialogues are good, the characters acted sensibly enough, theres many plot twists that have been sufficiently surprising, and all in all its a very enjoyable experience indeed.

So, if you have a sequel like THAT, really ANY movie needs one of those.

Wasn't there more Twin Peaks on Showtime just last year that was a follow up to Fire Walk with Me? It was called Twin Peaks: The Return.
Oh, unless somebody develops a fountain of youth !

If we can make people like Sherilyn Fenn and Maedchen Amick 20 again, theres nothing stoping us to continue Twin Peaks. Giggle 

We could even still have back a 20 yeah old Katy Manning (Third Doctor Who companion Jo Grant). Love 

The Burb's maybe.
I think that will be up to Ron Howard as it looks like he owns the rights to the property.
A Quiet Place (2018)

Totally enjoyed this one and I pray they make a sequel!
I still have to see that. It's on Hulu now so I'm gonna try to make time for it.
28 weeks later
Warcraft
Pumpkinhead
District 9 
Train to Busan
I want more Silent Hill movies...but like, the first one, the second one was not that cool.