Changing a character's ethnicity/sex/gender/etc when adapting into movies...

In a lot of book to movie and comic book to movie adaptations, you tend to hear that the director or someone on the cast decided to slightly alter a character. Whether it's the all female GHOSTBUSTERS, Michael B Jordan as Johnny Storm, or etc.

What do you think when things like this happen?

I don't personally care, I just hope that the actor/actress can portray their character well. I really don't care what they look like.
Comments29
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Rule of thumb: If the most interesting thing the makers or professional critics have to say about a piece of fiction is how diverse it is, that is the most interesting thing about the piece of fiction.
Forced diversity is killing entertainment left and right, so it really needs to stop. But the real issue is you have these loud mouth SJWs who are bitching about the lack of X portrayal no matter if it's realistic or not. Like some of the newer games for example.

I recall there is a new WWII game and the developers included female soldiers which is just inaccurate as hell and mere pandering. Comic companies too have taken the forced approach of changing beloved super heroes into minorities rather than coming up with new ones. So yes it is annoying. I hate being told we need to have a black superman when there are black super heroes like Spawn and Blade that haven't gotten much attention or seem to have become forgotten completely thanks to Black Panther, and no sorry it is not the best film ever made either.

What makes these race changes to characters are the fact they just feel forced, because as soon as the casting announcement is made all you see is mention of the actor's race as if its the most important reason for the casting decision. Same goes for gender changes too.

All I want is a good story and good characters and there is plenty of that without forced diversity in my face. You want a real good example of stupid forced diversity and a stupid ass excuse to cover up for it?

Then look no further than one of the newer issues of TWD comic. They introduced a chubby character named Stephanie in an earlier issues and she was white, everyone could see that. Then for some reason several issues when she reappears again she is black. And what was the author's excuse? It was a printing error that's what. Nevermind the fact he just flat out  changed the race of a minor character thinking fans wouldn't notice.
Depends.

If you want to put a totally original character on the big screen with a certain ethnicity/sex in mind, then sure go right ahead, I welcome it.

But if you want to change Superman into a black gay Mexican, or Spiderman into an Asian woman, especially if you are doing it specifically to push an agenda, then I take issue with that because I am not a fan.
I'm all for more diversity, so I actually like it when it happens, as a bonus, it pisses a lot of people and I love to see the world burn =P 
It's the thing someone already brought up: "diversity quota"

You can tell when it's just a corporate decision made because they think it's socially trendy and would make more money. Usually the changes that I can live with are the ones that aren't done just for the sake of cashing in on trending social issues. I don't care if an actor doesn't match the original character 1:1 if it means they'll deliver a far better performance e it just so happened other physically-accurate actors didn't quite pull through as far during the audition, or something like that.
as long as it's not done in the name of political correctness or to further some idiotic agenda
In general, I don't mind it as long as the actor suits the role and plays the part well.

Though I do kind of think that women/LGBT folks/POC should have more of their own roles in the first place, instead of having to change existing ones. And as chase mentioned, it can sometimes be due to directors just wanting to get token diversity points.

Neither of those things are really the actor's fault, though. :shrug:
this is quite common for hollywoo, white washing and rebooting genders.  original Ghostbusters was a cult classic, the remake was horrible and not funny.
It doesn't affect me. If they do the job good, then that is all that matters. 
I suppose it depends really. Nick Fury was once white, yet Samuel L Jackson is without a doubt the most definitive portrayal of him. But for every Nick Fury, there is a 2016 Ghostbusters :roll: 

i think people feel the need to look at too many things through political goggles now, which is really sad 
it depends whether it was done to honestly provide an interesting take on the story or character, or done as a way to appeal to certain demographic or movement as a cash grab.

I, however, dislike it regardless of the reason they do it.

As one example, it worked fine for the TV show Elementary - where Watson is played by Lucy Liu (an Asian woman).

It also seems to be fine for The Doctor, played by Jodie Whittaker (a white woman), in the Doctor Who TV show.

So it can work, it just has to be done in a way that works.
As long as they're still that same character. A female Dr Who, I can live with... a black James Bond, for example, not so much.
I get annoyed when they do it.  End of discussion.

I'm chill with non-whites appearing in a big fantasy franchise.  I'm chill with a new character who happens to be a different race calling himself a name that's been previously used.  But actual changing of a characters race annoys me.
It depends. If it's done just to get more female or black actors represented in movies, it's a lame move. Otherwise, no one complained about Starbuck being a girl in Battlestar Galactica.
Oh well, this was 2004. Good times...
They are trying to adapt the series to be more "appealing" to more people. Let's say in a show all main characters are all white and most are male. It contains a good story and many people like it. Then people see the main characters (without looking at the story), and say "oh the're all white, the writers must be white supremacists". The writers may not even be white supremacists, but know the show has been labeled that. If a popular person or group agrees with this opinion, then multiple possible viewerd are alienated because the first thing they hear about it is "that show is rascist, don't watch it". Now, I don't mind changing bits about characters if they have not been established. If the show has multiple seasons and has a constant main characters, don't change them. Make new interesting characters, not just "SoandSo but Black" or "SoandSo but a girl". I don't want the same but slightly different, I want new and interesting.
In summary, I think changing an established character's sex and ethnicity is a serie's cheap and easy way out of being wrongfully or rightfully accused of being "non inclusive".
I'd say it depends on how important gender, ethnicity, etc. are to the character. If it is of neglicible import, then it's not really that much a problem to me. But if any of it somehow fundamentally defines the character to one extent or another, or even more so if we're talking about an actual historical person, then it can become more an issue.

However, I'm not necessarily gung-ho about the latter unless it truly is something that shouldn't be changed. Like, I'm fine with Scarlet Johansson playing Major Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell, but something like Patch Adams turning a gay man into a straight woman just seems terrible just for the purposes of playing it safe with boxed-in demographic standards.

Otherwise, it's more important if the chosen actor can do a good job and sell the role than stringent adherence to absolute accuracy. You know, like not letting John Wayne play Genghis Khan!
I don't care. If a character keeps the core principles and personality of the original one, then it shouldn't matter. Unless of course, if that character was built to relay a message about ethnicity/sex/gender/etc. Then changing said thing might be harder to do.

But in general, it doesn't matter what they change a character into.
It's only okay if they changed it for reasons other than race/gender/whatever. Red from The Shawshank Redemption being black instead of Irish? That's okay, because Morgan Freeman was perfect for the role. An all-female Ghostbusters, on the other hand, is a rather stupid idea. I'm not saying the movie itself was good or bad (I haven't seen it, so I have no idea), but the idea behind it was stupid. If it was just one or two women, it wouldn't be so bad. That would be inclusive; changing all four makes it feel like they're compensating for something.

Worst of all is when the change is contradictory to the purpose of the original work. For example, there's an upcoming adaptation of Lord of the Flies in the works that will star an all-female cast. However, the purpose of the story was to showcase masculinity and the dangers of taking it too far. Having an all-female cast, by definition, completely defeats the purpose of the story.
I could see a LOTF-inspired adaption with a female cast working if it looked at femininity taken too far, and would actually be interested in seeing how those changes would make the story different
Usually it's an insignificant change. For instance, the Witcher TV series isn't going to be ruined by Ciri being non-white, although it is painfully obvious that they're changing her appearance to fill a diversity quota.
Ciri is going to be white, though.  They already announced the casting.  

The real issue with changing Ciri's ethnicity is that it would've necessitated major changes to the world building which would've either undermined some of the series's themes or set up some very unfortunate tropes.  
Ah, I remember there being a whole debacle with them specifically asking for Black, Asian and other minority actresses for Ciri. Good to know they didn't break the story in the end.
I honestly think Cavill needs a beard and a new wig. Other than that, from I've seen, it looks pretty good.