Wreck-It Ralph 2 Observations That No One Will Like (SPOILERS!)

I've read a lot of reviews of this movie, and after seeing it for myself, I can't help but disagree with the popular opinion that Wreck-It Ralph reverts to his villainous roots in this film. 

I wouldn't even say Ralph plays the role of the villain in this film, although he serves as something of an accidental surrogate villain in the absence of a legitimate antagonist. 

His actions do set the conflict in motion, but if you consider his motivations, you realize that Vanellope is the true culprit of what ultimately unfolds. Her being fed up with her own game causes Ralph to alter the race track to suit her desire for change. This results in her Sugar Rush game breaking (no one bothered to ask why she had to hijack control from the player, you'd think she'd know better being a frequently-used favorite racer among gamers for her unique "glitch" ability).

Again, Ralph's desire to help his friend inspires him to travel to the internet to obtain the necessary replacement part for the Sugar Rush cabinet. This leads to Vanellope's discovery of Slaughter Race, an open-world racing game that offers the freshness and variety that she's been longing for. 

She is immediately taken in by the game and her attraction is only encouraged by some "advice" she receives from a cavalcade of Disney Princesses. Vanellope makes the decision to stay in Slaughter Race, but despite feeling guilty about not telling Ralph, she ultimately gets angry at Ralph for "eavesdropping" on her conversation and never owns up to her deception. 

This is a game character who, for the majority of her existence, was ostracized and abused by her peers. All she wanted was to be a racer like them, and yet after a mere six years of having her way, she decides it isn't good enough anymore. And being a Disney Princess, she "wants more"  and wallows in self-pity until a big, strong man (since no animal sidekicks were available at the time) takes action to make her new desire a reality. A trope the film itself pokes deliberate fun at in a renouncing way.

And even though we find Ralph once again sabotaging Vanellope's desire, which felt somewhat repetitive, this time he's not doing it for her own sake (as he was duped into believing he was in the first film) but really for his own. Ralph is something of an oafish character, but this decision comes off as something the modern-day Homer Simpson would do and considering Ralph's past altercations with viruses and the knowledge of the potential harm they can do, he'd have to be a supreme idiot to do what he did.

Ralph is all but selfless up until he makes the one selfish decision which nearly destroys the internet. A lesson well-learned, if not for the fact that Vanellope is consistently selfish throughout the film and is encouraged, applauded and rewarded for being so. In the end Ralph has to make the hard choice and let his friend pursue her desire. Again, the film puts the burden of sacrifice on Ralph and never tasks Vanellope with giving up anything but her paper-thin attachment to her own game and her friend Ralph, which she seems to come to terms with a bit too hastily.

The film recycles plot elements and themes from the first film, depicts the male characters as bumbling and unintelligent and the female characters as highly skilled, savvy, unapologetic and deserving of everything they desire. After six years, we should have gotten a stronger follow-up to the original film but this has all the brain-washing subtext and product placement I've come to expect from Disney's marketing department when they're committed to pushing tie-in merchandise. It sprinkles a bit of that signature Pixar warmth and tenderness, but it feels superficial and something of an afterthought on the screenwriter's part.

It's definitely more of a little kids' film than the original, but I'm not so sure I'd expose my hypothetical children to it considering the subliminal messages it exudes. 

Comments52
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Here is a little plot hole that still bugs me. Ralph was in Sugar Rush during the daytime when the arcade was open. Which means that he wasn't in Fix-It Felix Jr doing his job. Wouldn't that mean that anyone playing his game that day would perceive it as broken again?
I wouldn't call it a plot hole, but you have a point. 

Again, he's made that mistake before and given the consequences it nearly had, you'd think he'd know better. :iconhomerdohplz:
The interesting thing about ToonEguy's whining, is that he actually sent me a note about the film last night.

He admitted it's actually one of the best films he's ever seen and far superior to any of Disney's old crappy 2d stuff. In fact he actually said the CGI did the old Disney princesses far better justice then 2d ever did.
pics or it didn't happen!
I read up on the plot and this was what I was thinking. I really do think they screwed the pooch.
I wouldn't go that far. I just think it's another instance where they came up with the merchandising campaign first, and then wrote a movie around it.
*sighs* I used to be less jaded than this man. 
Wreck it Ralph just proves how washed up actors and comedians could steal money from game people they hate and despise.

I wonder who did SS had to go down on in order to keep her lame career alive. Her bs and antics even in the recent election is no longer needed. Only reason I watch Sally Silverman show is to watch Rob Scharob. That is it.

I think it is not a film or anything I want to support just robbing people blind. They just bang together a bunch of bs and that is about it.
Interesting.  I had heard people comment that "it was alright" and "not as femnazi as they thought it would be".

How many other dumb male characters were there besides Ralph exactly?
I wouldn't call it "feminazi" per se. It's just exudes that familiar "Girls rule, boys drool" refrain we've seen in so many movies and TV shows. Bill Maher said it best when he spoke about how feminine values have become the values of America. "Look at television, look at any sitcom. The wife is always brilliant and ethereal and right about everything. And the husband is a dumb fuck lucky to have found her." He also said "Men are living in an Orwellian society where they have to pretend to concur with the woman's point of view because it's easier to make women nod than to live in the doghouse." And I think this is a mentality that Hollywood adopts wholeheartedly. And Disney is especially guilty of this.

Aside from how "flawless" some of their female characters are, consider how ludicrous their reasoning for firing James Gunn was. And how even though they admit it wasn't the right thing to do, they still refuse to hire Gunn back. 

They've even gone so far to sanitize their public image that there are rumors that Gunn will be replaced as director of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 by Paul Feig, the man who took a colossal shit on the Ghostbusters franchise just to make a feminist statement. 

There actually isn't much of a male presence in Wreck-It Ralph 2. Felix's role is minimized and he's a bit more magoo than he was in the original, save for one nugget of wisdom about parenting that gets drowned out by race car engines. Sonic the Hedgehog and a new character named "Knowsmore" are depicted as know-it-alls, but they come off as really annoying to the other characters.
Female Ghostbusters was so wrong on all levels...

I'm a female my self, and yes I have no problem with the main Charecters of Ghostbusters being guys.

the female movement now a days is an insult to the female movement in the past.  it is so pathetic. They went from fighting for equality

Example fair Equal Rights as a man had. Example Vote.

To now whining everything masculine is offensive must be changed.

They rather fight for domination being treated better than men, and oppress the males shaming them for being a man.

Then fight in countries where females have no Rights. Example Hard core Islamic Countries
It could have been worse, it could have been "Junior Ghostbusters" or "Ghostbuster Babies".

I think Hollywood's big failing in the feminist movement is that they keep appropriating these famous films with iconic male protagonists and remaking them with female protagonists. 

It isn't as though there aren't great female leads in the coveted "blockbuster" genres that they can capitalize, though by rights there should be a lot more by now. We don't want or need to see James Bond, Danny Ocean & his crew or the Ghostbusters recast as women. Not when we've had Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor and Princess Leia for years. It's the studios' fault for mismanaging those franchises and not maintaining and expanding the popularity of those characters. 

Just recently they made a new Halloween movie that transformed Jamie Lee Curtis, Hollywood's most famous living scream queen, into an arsenal-toting bad ass with enough homemade booby traps to make Macaulay Culkin piss his pants.

I think they're better off either resurrecting neglected female protagonists or creating all-new ones and fashioning them into long-lasting film icons.
I really wish they had just made a live-action movie out of the Extreme Ghostbusters concept instead, but it probably wouldn't have worked without Harold Ramis as a mentor.

Yeah, I never liked that 2016 movie myself. Not that I have anything against women of course, but it just looked very dumb and gimmicky, and definitely not what fans were expecting out of a 3rd movie after waiting over 20 years for one. The one good thing that movie did was bring back Ecto Cooler, if only for a short while. And there's still the 2009 video game to fall back on, which fans consider the true "Ghostbusters 3".
The game is the only true Ghostbusters 3 we'll ever get now that Ramis is gone.

All they can do from this point on is shovel manure on the franchise.
The franchise died with Ramis
View all replies
There have been dumb daddy characters since at least the 90s.  And while their wives were smarter, I'm not sure I'd call them flawless per se.  For that matter, the 2016 Ghostbusters didn't look that overtly feminist since the female leads are dumb, awkward and goofy.  But I still wouldn't want that director on GotG 3.
It's a failure in marketing. They wanted to remake a comedy, but they chose one that couldn't possibly be recreated by man or woman. But Paul Feig was hellbent on making it happen, as was Sony Pictures. 

So rather than cast some statuesque starlets, they opted for the antithesis of Hollywood's self-imposed standard of beauty and spat out the cheapest, laziest alteration of the original Ghostbusters script they could muster and substituted the original's brilliant humor and wit with excessive dancing, loudness and queef jokes.

They didn't know how to make it the right way and they didn't really care enough to try.
Why would they cast statuesque starlets?  Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd were not all that handsome or muscular.  It didn't have that many similarities to the original script either.  Do you you even Ghostbusters?

Queef jokes?
There's a trend in Hollywood where actresses are being cast for their looks instead of their acting ability. It's gotten better in the last decade, but you still see the occasional Megan Fox pop up now and then.

And yes, from what I understand there are actually queef jokes in the 2016 Ghostbusters movie. That should give you an idea of how far the standard of comedy has fallen since the original was made.
I don't know what queef is, I never heard of it
View all replies
Bryan Singer was kicked off Bohemian Rhapsody in the middle of production, but he still got credit! Also there were a lot of accusations of playing down Freddie's gayness, because they focused a lot on his relationship with Mary.
You are so Right that little snot is Selfish as He!!

Ralph went way over and beyond to help his friend, and was being taken for granted, and treated like crap.

In the end he was treated like the bad guy, and guilt into accepting what that spoiled brat wanted.

You were right about the mixed messages. I would not bring my kids to see this trailer trash. I rather let my kids watch Little House on the prairie. At least that program teaches a lot of Morals, Common Sense, and takes on real life issues. And it' does not Enshrine some Spoiled rotten Brat, to get her way.

Thumbs Down. Boooooohhhhh, on this Junk.. Will not waste good money to buy this.

I'm looking Forward to How to Train Your Dragon 3 with the Light Furry. Now here's a Show Worthy for the Entire Family to See.
I enjoyed the Dragon movies, though I don't agree with the 2nd film's decision to instantly swap out Hiccup's parents. It didn't feel earned.

The new one has promise, but I'm sensing the urge to sell all new dragon toys as the driving motivation behind this film as well.
I know what you mean about pimping a Movie or series out with a massive wave of merch..

It's sad how movies and TV shows lost the point in what they made..

TV series TMNT 2012 Epic.
Rise of the TMNT... Horrid. Personalities makes no sense, Splinter Lazy and a slob. And April a color chick, wearing glasses. And there is no real story to follow, just random sleezy toilet humor

My 2Nd oldest daughter loves Scooby Doo. Followed all the tv series. The newest one broke her heart. She finds them messed up, and Daphnie is creepy with her obsession of her hand puppets.

Mlp Fim is getting a reboot to G5 Guardians of Harmony. 

Sad how great movies get dumb down by the sequels.

some do the origional justice, other sadly dumb it down.

However i feel Merchandiae, is the main drive to decide weather a show lives or dies.

Some leave and never return Disneys ''Gargoyles''

Others..get rebooted..

Some reboots are a success, however others

Teen Titans Epic.

Teen Titans Go get Stupidified..

Sad really personally i love the second dragon  movie. At least it had a story, worthy of time to watch.