Closed to new replies
November 7, 2018
Link

Statistics

Replies: 152

Underrated Animes

:iconthekikkakibaz:
TheKikkaKibaz Featured By Owner Edited Nov 7, 2018
Share here up to two animes you consider way underrated!

Here's one of the animes that I absolutely loved and I feel like not many have heard about it: Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

"Japan, 1955: Mario Minakami has just arrived at Shounan Special Reform School along with five other teenagers who have been arrested on serious criminal charges. All assigned to the same cell, they meet older inmate Rokurouta Sakuragi—a former boxer—with whom they establish a close bond. Under his guidance, and with the promise that they will meet again on the outside after serving their sentences, the delinquents begin to view their hopeless situation in a better light.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin follows the seven cellmates as they struggle together against the brutal suffering and humiliation inflicted upon them by Ishihara, a sadistic guard with a grudge on Rokurouta, and Gisuke Sasaki, a doctor who takes pleasure in violating boys. Facing such hellish conditions, the seven inmates must scrape together all the strength they have to survive until their sentences are up; but even if they do, just what kind of lives are waiting for them on the other side?"

(MAL Synopsis)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfpDLH…

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkatamariluv:
katamariluv Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
:icontrangluu:
TrangLuu Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2018
Mushishi
watching that anime is like the whole new world, the whole new gerne to me but don't know why not many people know about that
TheKikkaKibaz Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2018
Oh I think I've seen some images of it!! 
:icontrangluu:
TrangLuu Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2018
You should give it a try. It's an episodic anime that every episode will make you lie down and look at the ceiling thinking about life and stuff.
:iconpillothestar:
PilloTheStar Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2018  Professional General Artist
Cory in the House.
:iconametotaiyou:
ametotaiyou Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2018
xD someone had to do it
:iconwispbe:
wispbe Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Based on everyone's responses, it seems like I have a significantly different taste in anime. But if anyone wants to check it out, I think Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is underrated
TheKikkaKibaz Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2018
I've checked up on that anime and it seems to be the ones I want to watch too, so thanks :D
wispbe Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
np! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did c:
:iconsmellnan:
smellnan Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
moomin!!!!!!!!!! Grew up on dat shish! I recommend the swedish dub. The writer is half swedish, half finnish so they really put effort into the swedish dub. I have lots of nostalgia for it but I rewatched it a few years ago and its still pretty daaamn good!
:iconikrines:
IKrines Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I grew up on that too. It is classic in the Nordic Countries.
Oh I haven't heard about that one!!
:icondiegomends:
DiegoMends Featured By Owner Edited Nov 21, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
Kaiji Ultimate Survivor (seasons 1 and 2)

Gambling and cheating mind games, stilized art WAY different from any anime out there, philosophical and psychological themes, overdramatic/ funny hypeman narrator and visual methaphors, umpredictable outcomes, consequences, 26 episodes per season, awesome soundtrack from the same compositor of Death note!

That's such a fun and thrilling anime, I think it's a sin some people don't give a chance to this show only because art is different, considering some animes usually have same face syndrome or are quite similar in designs, I actually think its art is a breath of fresh air. =P
Oh that sounds cool hehe I gotta try it out
:icondiegomends:
DiegoMends Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
Good to hear, I advice you to try it out even if you may find its cartoony faces weird, it's worth it.
TheKikkaKibaz Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2018
yes :D
:iconzoltor:
Zoltor Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2018
A lot of these are probally more along the lines of being downright unknown, but damn they're amazing.

The Legend of Condor Hero

Kingdom

Hanasakeru Seishounen

Victorian Romance Emma

Kemono no souja erin

The Twelve Kingdoms

Hikaru no Go

Detective Academy Q

Letter Bee

Maison Ikkoku

The Mysterious Cities of Gold(original series)

Saiunkoku Monogatari

The Legend of Qin/Qin's Moon

Hero Tales

Shadow Skill

Moribito Guardian of the Spirit

Spice and Wolf

Aishiteruze Baby

Deltora Quest
:iconjdx629:
JDX629 Featured By Owner Edited Nov 19, 2018
Welcome to the NHK and Samurai Champloo.
Oh I know Samurai Champloo :D
:iconhcshannon:
HCShannon Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Cromartie High School!!!
I don't know that one, gotta check it out ^^
:iconsmithnikova:
Smithnikova Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2018
That series was HOWLINGLY funny, and it's even better if you know the genre it's slamming on (the high school cool/tough guy delinquent stories)
:iconhcshannon:
HCShannon Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I also remember another one called Tokyo Pig, it aired on Fox/ABC Family very briefly, that's kind of in the same genre!
:icongagargargar:
gagargargar Featured By Owner Edited Nov 18, 2018
Elfen Lied - Very gory and violent.

Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo - Depicts humor that took way far. The characters were annoying and exaggerating.

Sora no Otoshimono - ‘Nuff said.

Full Metal Panic - Craziest characters ever.

Cardcaptors - The 2018 series deserved better.

Silent Möbius - A secret plot goes ahead.

Compiler - The creator also made this. Many obnoxiously rowdy ladies.

Detonator Orgun - Meh.

Tokyo Ghoul - So many cringing scenes and horror.

Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple - Serious training everywhere.

Busou Renkin - Weapons are everything.

High School Of The Dead - Same as Elfen Lied.

High School DxD - I was curious about the dirty scenes of the characters.

The Devil is a Part Timer - Doesn’t this show have any decency...?
:iconpelcogo:
pelcogo Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The Devil is a part timer. That show deserved more then like 14 episodes. 
wispbe Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Agreed!! That anime is hilarious and the OSTs are epic
:iconpelcogo:
pelcogo Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's still digging into me how that show never got a proper conclusion. It just ends with nothing being accomplished. 
:iconsinisterfoxcloud:
SinisterFoxcloud Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2018
I'll go with anything from Mamaru Oshii, Katsuhiro Otomo, Outlaw Star, Blue Gender, Golgo 13 and Fist of the North Star.
TheKikkaKibaz Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2018
Ohh cool I don't know any of those!
SinisterFoxcloud Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2018
I got more you probably never heard. lol
TheKikkaKibaz Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2018
throw'em hehe
Okay.
Blue Submarine no. 6
Gilgamesh
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade 
Karas
Serial Experiements Lain
Texhnolyze (Tek-no-lies)
Heibane Renmei
Springs & Chaos
Princess Arete
Sherlock Hound 
Pandalian 
Wakfu (French animation but anime-esque)

I was going to add Black Lagoon but I noticed your profile pic from your first reply. Revy is my favourite character.
TheKikkaKibaz Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2018
Damn, I only knew Serial Experiements Lain tbh (although Blue Submarine no. 6 was mentioned in this thread before as well)
And Revy is my fave too! ^^
Well atleast there is one you know. XD

I would add others like Trigun and Wolf's Rain but I think those are more less talked about that those two.
TheKikkaKibaz Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2018
Yey xD
Oh yeah, dunno either *feels completely ignorant* xd
(1 Reply)
:iconredluigi2887:
RedLuigi2887 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Monster is very underrated and everyone needs to watch it now
:iconpirasenshi:
Pirasenshi Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2018  Student Traditional Artist
Agreed. 
Yeah Monster is quite underrated
:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Edited Nov 15, 2018
Mobile Suit Gundam: 8th MS Team.

Of the gundam series its only 12 episodes total. But I loved it because of the war drama aspect. Its like the movie Platoon but with giant mechs. Its not about some unnaturally gifted pilots, just average GI's in Mobile Suits fighting in a war with their own individuality and morality. They even show both side so you see the Principality of Zion as fighting for its independence from the Earth Federation over just being a bunch of arrogant self-righteous snobs as they are often portrayed. It actually made me really appreciate the Zaku's and its pilots.
Awesome!!!
:iconcatluckey:
Catluckey Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2018  Professional Traditional Artist
Oooo...yeah, I loved this. It's on Hulu sub'd & dub'd with 12 eps each. I loved every one! Their personalities shined in this. What the Lt. guy had to go through and fight for. Just so good.

RobStrand Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2018
Col. Norris is honestly one of my favorites secret badasses in Anime. He just fallow around Ina like a father type bodyguard but loyal to the core. And his last stand against the 8th to by Zeon just a bit more time is legendary.
It was a beautiful thing. I loved Col. Norris too. The characters and how the faced off ...with all their personality ticks...was just epic! It was sad how some of the "good guys" were on the bad side like the Col., but that makes it all the more real.
To me the primary antagonist is war and those who monger it. Another has to be Rear Admiral Yuri Kellerne. First episode he comes off as kind of meathead. Then by the end of the series you see him as a caring commander to his troops, only to be betrayed be Gilani.
Yes, you're absolutely right about war being the primary antagonist...everybody had their own agenda...it brought the worst and the best out of both sides. Oh, yes, Yuri was very, very cool...beastly cool (in other words, meathead). I'm a romantic and I LOVED the young Lt. who cared for his troops, hated war, and loved the gal, his enemy. He saw through propaganda and targeted the heart. I need to watch that anime a 5th time. I enjoyed the red-head kid who wrote his sweetheart, and the strong gal who piloted a mobile suit. Gosh, that story was well-written, well-characterized. I was in the military too, Air Force...and an army brat!!! So I know.
I apologize because I'm sharing more than 2. Also, I'm 64 yrs old and find this a rare thing so I'm hoping you'll humor me. These animes I love a whole lot and feel they're underrated as you said.

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team...this for me is the best of all the Gundam series...it gives me a nostalgic feeling of the army/enlisted life (I'm an army brat), real romance (not teasing me with blushing and missed opportunities), also a main character with a real heart and the main gal with a vulnerable strength who both showed love in a real way. Watched this nearly 4 times...one of my fav animes.

Chivalry of a Failed Knight...really great action, personal family conflict and intimidation, also I love this romantic couple. One of my fav animes.

Darling of the Franxx...very wonderful personalities (characters), art designs, and I love action and romance. I feared for those kids' lives.

The Severing Crime Edge...wacky, weird, and irresistible. Love the underdog that rises above all obscurity and juicy romance thrown in the mix.

Hehe thank you for the suggestions. I've heard only about Darling of the Franxx, but the other ones also seem to be interesting, specially Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team ^^
Catluckey Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2018  Professional Traditional Artist
I hope you enjoy them! :) U-welcome!
I cant believe you beat me by mear minutes to 8th MS Team.
:iconbadassplz:
Did we just become best friends?
Hahahaha! Gotta love it! :D
Add a Comment: