Shop Forum More Submit  Join Login

Details

February 9
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

Collecting the Simpsons seasons. Cut off point?

:iconalevesper:
AleVesper Featured By Owner Edited Feb 9, 2018
So my family got me the first three seasons of the Simpsons for Christmas (for the longest time we've only had seasons 4, 8, 13, and the movie), and I've been watching the crap out of them.

So I decided "fuck yeah, gonna collect me more season sets". But I'm not gonna collect all of them. Hahaha, fuck no.

I know there's a cut off point somewhere, but I'm not really sure where it is. 

Some people say it's season 9 (because fuck The Principal and the Pauper), some people say it's anything post 2000, and some people say after the movie.

What do YOU guys think? What season should I stop at?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconsimplykit19:
simplykit19 Featured By Owner 3 days ago
right on man! i love d simpsons. i have seasons 1 - 22 i think. i was thinking of buying more but then walking dead and game of thrones showed up so dats where it ended for me Giggle (bcoz of d bewbs n sexyness GOT) 
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
it depends, if you're interested why stop.  sure it will get pricey, but there are far worse things to buy and never even get a second enjoyment out of it.  I don't really have a cutoff for the things I really enjoy, it ended and I paid a lot of money for the stuff regarding seasons.  since I can still watch them here and there on tv and I can also obtain them on Hulu and as a dvd copy on netflix, I'm fine without buying them because I'm not that big of a fan but I do like it.
AleVesper Featured By Owner 5 days ago
Really, it's because I don't wanna collect EVERYTHING from it. :noes:

Hell, I stopped collecting the One Piece manga years ago because there's SO damn much of it.
:iconjuniorjedi7:
JuniorJedi7 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I only have 4 and 5. But after season 10...it's ehh. The movie however is the BEST. Pure Simpson chaos! HAHA Then after, It is slowly dying until what we have now...POOP
I loved the movie when it came out. But personally, as I got older it became more and more stale.

The only time I'll watch it these days is with my dad. :shrug:
:iconcaptainchaos85:
captainchaos85 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2018
2000 is the cut off point
So I've heard. :noes:
:iconcaptainchaos85:
captainchaos85 Featured By Owner 5 days ago
Yeah unfortunatly
:icongrendalunleashed:
GrendalUnleashed Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2018  Professional General Artist
No there does not exist a 'cut off point'.

Over the Simpsons 'evolution' there have been production staff that have come and gone (Futurama being the big schism).

However having watched the Simpsons from the Tracey Ullman Show to 2017 It's The Simpsons, when they are brilliantly satirical they are justly satirical and when they are producing filler episodes it can be hit and miss (usually because they divert from Homerisms or Lisaisms.

Ultimately from day one to the final episode of season 29 and the first part of season 30 in the latter half of 2018 if it makes you laugh then it's 'classic' Simpsons.
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2018
Tough to say. The DVD menu system gets much more sophisticated on later releases, with the ability to play all episodes with commentaries as well as options like accessible deleted scenes. Also, by the time you reach the teens, you start to get celebrity commentaries. Not all are great, but Scott Thompson, Weird Al, and others are delightful. There are also some interesting insights about everything from episode titles to music selections to jokes that were altered for air.
I honestly really love listening to the commentaries, so hey that'll be fun. :la:
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner 5 days ago
Same here! I am always disappointed when a DVD has none. Conversely, others like Fight Club and Scott Pilgrim have several. It's interesting to hear from Anna Kendrick that she is also a commentary listener. Given her love for the Tolkien sextet, I assume she has listened to all of the commentaries for them as well.
Do you have a favorite commentary? I think mine would be Apollo 13 by the Lovells, with Jodie Foster's work on Contact a strong second.
:iconk1ngca3e:
K1ngCa3e Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2018  New Deviant
Either 1-8 or anywhere up to season 15.
Season 15 sounds legit. :nod:
:iconmintaka-tk:
Mintaka-TK Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2018
I don't own any Simpsons DVDs myself, but if I were collecting the box sets, I'd stop at season eight. (Because yeah, fuck Principal and the Pauper in season nine. :XD: Also because season eleven is just plain atrocious, and the seasons after that are just dull and unmemorable for the most part.)
Somebody mentioned that season 10 might be a good cutoff point.

Knowing how my brain works, that might be a good place for me. :XD:
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2018
If you've got Season 13 a cut off point should hardly matter, that season is very solidly past what people consider the series' prime.
That's fair.

I only really want a cut off point somewhere because well....I ain't gonna collect EVERYTHING from the damn show. :noes:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner 5 days ago
I'd really recommend watching online as collecting stuff is expensive.
The sets I've been getting have only been $20 or so. That's not bad. :noes:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner 5 days ago
That's $360 for 18 series'. Collecting really gnaws at the wallet.

Have you got the special cases? There were some shaped like Simpsons characters.

Looking up home video releases I'm surprised they're so far behind current release but then on second thought I guess not. Channel 4 in the UK pretty much showed only pre-00s Simpsons until late into the 00s because of Fox's tight fisted control. Always wanted new Simpsons growing up never realising the best was being shown and it'd be downhill from there. Anyway, Season 18 got released in December of this year and the show is on it's 29th.
Again, fair point. All the more reason to cut it off somewhere. :XD:

I do not have the special cases. Just the regular ol' DVD sets.

Never knew that Fox in the UK was like that. That sucks. :noes:
:iconjdx629:
JDX629 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018
I own the first 15 but a good point is season 10.
That's a fair place to stop. :dummy:
:iconjuniorjedi7:
JuniorJedi7 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yes I agree
:icondhheiii:
dhheiii Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018
It depends.  Do you want to stop at the peak, before it starts to slide into mediocrity?  Or are you wondering where it crosses the line into unwatchability (don't worry, that's a perfectly cromulent word)?

The former is harder to pinpoint.  I'd say seasons 4-6 are the best, but really anything up through season 9 is pretty good.  There's a bit of a decline in seasons 10-15, but still some good episodes.  For me, though, the hard cut-off point is season 16.  There's almost a night and day difference between 15 and 16.  It's like every writer was replaced over the summer by lazy hacks.
AleVesper Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018
I'd say the latter, where it crosses the line into unwatchability.

I've got a pretty high tolerance, so some mediocrity here and there is all right. :P
:icondhheiii:
dhheiii Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018
Well, everyone's tastes are different - some people even like the current Simpsons - but you'll more than likely get some enjoyment through Season 15.
:iconchiggenboi:
chiggenboi Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Cutoff point? What are you talking about? The Simpsons is still fucking fantastic. 

i.redd.it/gk87yzr5s9ux.jpg
AleVesper Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018
SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH Hidenori Slap Motoharu Icon 
Add a Comment: