Why I'm glad John Lasseter is leaving Disney

Reposted to tell that bastard :iconmrgreen36: to stay the Hell out of this discussion, or him and his trolling will be reported to the staff 

So yeah, in case anyone is wondering, I've heard all about the whole matter of John Lasseter leaving the Disney studio. The circumstances of his leaving aren't important to me, but I for one am glad that he's not going to be lording over Disney animation for a while, and even kind of glad to see him exposed in some way as not being the great man everyone thinks he is. I myself used to think highly of him in the animation industry, but any respect I had for him became lost with the way he has been leading the Walt Disney Animation Studio today, whose animation I looked up to and admired before his movies with Pixar were ever a thing.

Here's what I think people just don't get about Disney that I feel I know too well from my own long and personal experience with them...

John Lasseter and Ed Catmull were pretty much the ones who really established Pixar as an animation studio and popularized the whole concept of computer animated movies to begin with. So you kind of have to ask yourself: what business do they really have to be running a studio with a long time-honored history in traditional hand-drawn animation if much of their own history, experience, and preference is in computer animation? The truth is that if it wasn't for Disney deciding to put them in those newfound positions, they wouldn't have any business at all. Ed Catmull is a computer scientist for crying out loud, and they made him president over Disney animation?

I can't help but feel that in his rise to power over Disney animation and his personal bias for his own vision of computer animation, Lasseter has failed to maintain the integrity of the Walt Disney Animation Studio and its 2D roots. He was once just a lowly animator for Disney back in the 80's, and ironically enough he was fired from the studio over his enthusiasm of wanting to use CGI in The Brave Little Toaster. Now it almost feels like some twisted form of revenge where he's been enforcing all the ideals of Pixar over Disney's animation department, including the Pixar way of doing animation. Sure, he may have been the one that pushed for Disney's brief hand-drawn revival with The Princess and the Frog, showing that he did have a respect for the art form and Disney's roots at the time, but he obviously didn't stay committed to it for long. Not to mention that he was still letting both animation studios of Disney/Pixar work under the same medium, even though it was Disney's whole mistake in the first place that they started straying into 3D animation thinking that they needed to abandon 2D animation. When their 2D animation wasn't to blame at all.

So as you can see, I definitely have my reasons for hating John Lasseter now. I'm sure he's not going to want to give up his reign over Disney for too long, but I would definitely be a happy man if he ended up leaving the studio for good. Just like when he left Disney in the 80's.
Comments169
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Buy Quality Real And Fake Passports,Driver's License,ID Cards
Licenses, passports, driver's identity Passport, ID cards, diplomas, birth certificate

Licenses, passports, driver's identity < >marcrobben@gmx.ch

Passport, ID cards, diplomas, birth certificate

A well-known team of professionals with years of experience in providing services passports and other identification documents, better quality services and faster on their document legit. with

more than 1 million documents spread around the world.

Purchase / you can just buy a driving license. They get a driving license registration third country and convert it into a legal document.

Exchange your driving license online.

European exchange license with a foreign license.

How to get a European driving

On the driving licenses in Europe

international driving permit

driving license not citizens.

Convert your driving license

Only original passport, wallet, ID cards, stamps, birth certificates, fake diplomas and other international products to many countries such as:

USA, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Norway

Canada, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom.

This is not a complete list.

For additional information and place the order only

Contact us by email. This is important for such operations.

Get passports British (UK), Danmark (Denmark) American passport, Canadian

CARDS ONLINE impersonation UNITED DRIVING LICENCE.

Get your birth certificate

Get your driving license

Contact e-mail: contact ((<<<marcrobben@gmx.ch >>> ))

general support: ((<<<marcrobben@gmx.ch>>>))

contact advertiser ((<<<marcrobben@gmx.ch >>> ))

Do not hesitate to contact us by email or phone anytime and on any criteria.

Buying good certificate and original passport, driving license, ID card, visa

Here you can

materials:

get passports

PURCHASE DRIVING LICENCE

Buy your driver license in Australia (Australia)

Buy Canadian pilot licenses (Canada)

Buy your driving license French (France)

Buy your Dutch driving license (Netherlands / Netherlands)

Buy your driving license German (Germany)

Buy your UK driving license (UK)

Buy your license Cameroon (Cameroon)

Buy your driving license Chinese (China)

Buy your license in Switzerland (Switzerland)

Buy your driving license cambodiens (Cambodia)

Buy your driver's license (Australia)

Buy your license in Russia (Russia)

Buy Canadian pilot licenses (Canada)

Buy your driving license French (France)

Buy your international driving allowded

Buy your Japanese driver's license (Japan)

Buy your license Ukraine (Ukraine)

Buy your driver license Austria (Austria)

Buy your UK driving license

, receipt, visa cards, foreign
Jesus, I found this thread through this guy's Encyclopedia Dramatica page.

Look, I despise Disney's CG films (with the exception of Tangled) and their Pixar ones too, but this is just beyond my own level of grasping your insanity. You have to realize that, as much as I'D want another 2D animated film Disney too, they aren't going to make it unless it racks in the big bucks for them and they get someone who truly CARES to make more of them.

Lassetter claimed to be such a huge fan of Disney 2D animated films, while that was true for the most part, where was that love when he distanced himself from them after the supposed "flop" of The Princess and the Frog? (it wasn't a flop, it just didn't do as well as DISNEY wanted it to). Or Winnie The Pooh's flop, which was Disney fault for putting it up against Harry Potter and not even advertising it as well as they do their stupid other animated films? If he "cared" so much about 2D animated films then he'd evidently still see how the movies STILL MADE MONEY and go on with it. But he didn't because he's evidently hopped the profit bandwagon.

^ THIS is what your arguments should be like, not laughable comments that just make you look like someone who can't stop living in the past.

Lassetter being gone won't unfortunately bring back 2D animation from Disney, in fact I assume they're just going to get someone who's going to push more awful 3D films just to make more money.
You don't have to insult me, you know. Your points are very true also, and I agree with them.

Even if there are still other people posing problems for Disney right now, such as Bob Iger and Ed Catmull, getting John Lasseter out of Disney is still a good and much needed start. Especially when, like you said, he can't even be trusted to keep his word and stick to his guts about bringing Disney back to 2D animation, even if they only started going back again because he wanted them to. People like himself and Catmull, who are experts in pioneering computer animation, are simply not the right kind of people to be leading an animation studio with a legacy in hand-drawn animation, because they can't always be trusted to do it without having bias for their own medium, as I've been seeing with how much Disney animation today is looking and feeling like Pixar animation with them in creative control of their current animated features. You are absolutely right that there needs to be more people in the studio again who truly care about 2D animation and maintaining the artistic roots of Disney.

As for ED, I may have to do something about them eventually, because they really don't have the right to be violating other people on the internet. I've been doing a very good job of just ignoring them and not caring about what they're writing though, cause I know that whole site is just run by trolls and predators.
honestly, I'm more concerned about the things Lasseter possibly did that warranted his temporary leave...

Sure, Disney may not produce 2D animated films anymore, but it's not like the art form's dead.  It lives on through cartoons on television, on the web, and some studios outside of America still produce amazing films (such as Cartoon Saloon).  
Well we don't really have the right to say that they won't, because they weren't even supposed to turn away from their 2D animated films.

And aside from anime, television animation today is crap.
Yeah, but the truth is CGI films are cheaper to produce, and so far Disney's doing just fine with them.  They don't have any reason to return to hand-drawn animation at the moment, but who knows?  Things could always change.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You think so?  I'd have to disagree.  There are plenty of good cartoons today -I dunno about anime though.  
Actually, 3D animated films cost MORE to make, while the 2D ones are cheaper. The thing is that 3D animated films just bring in more money since they're more popular.
Ooh okay!  That's my mistake, thanks for the correction!
I think the fact that 3D animation is less time-consuming also helps though :O Once the models are done and rigged, you're good to go.  You don't have to worry about keeping them on-model/clean-up animation. Plus it's easier to change the lighting/camera movement in 3D. 
No. It. ISN'T!

That's just a stupid myth that the studios came up with because they want an excuse to throw 2D away and not do the work anymore. It's proven by the fact that Princess and the Frog had a smaller budget of $105 million compared to the whopping $260 million of fucking Tangled.

Disney was never meant to turn away from their 2D animated films. They chose to make hasty, reckless, short-sided assumptions that their early 2000's films weren't doing well because they were in 2D animation, and that was never true at all. They had no business laying off all of their 2D animators from the 90's and shutting down all of their 2D animation studios only because they thought that 2D animation was the problem. So I don't care if you think that they're "doing well" right now, when as far as I'm concerned they're living a lie. The art of Disney animation is not CGI, and it has no true business being so.
Hello there! I'd like to step in as someone who has had some experience in 3D CGI and stop-motion animation, and I'm currently trying to get 2D animation down (which is hard as hell):

3D animation in regards to CGI is a hundred times easier than 2D animation. Trust me. If you don't believe me, you can try this out (I mean it, test this out):

You want to make a character walk across the screen. You're going to do this in 2D as well as 3D. For the 3D animation, you have to first build your model, rig it, and then test to see if the rigging was done properly. After that, start animating! Each frame has to have the body move a tiny bit each time, which isn't too bad since your model is ready to go. Just move the legs bit by bit each frame until a basic walking animation is done. After that, go back to your first frame and do the same thing with the arms. All in all, it's not too hard, the only hard part is rigging the model. Lastly, if you want to add color to your model, you can. Just color it and save it, and it will be the colors you wanted throughout the entire animation. If you want a source of light, just add a new light source and position it however you want, as the shading on the model will be consistent in the animation.

Now, for 2D, you're going to do the same thing, but it's slightly different: first, you are going to make the major frames, or the frames that have the most important forms of movement (you can do this as well in 3D animation if it makes it easier, I personally did). Then, go back, and draw some major in-between frames, making sure your character stays on model (you need to draw them as similar as possible with each and every frame). Finally, do the last frames in between them all, making the animation as smooth or as choppy as you want. Next, watch the animation and make sure your character is on-model throughout the entire animation. If it's not in some frames, go back and redraw those. Finally, coloring the model. In every frame, color the character however you want. BUT, if you don't color every frame, the character will look like they're blinking in and out of existence since their colors aren't always there. Make sure the colors are the same as well in every frame (you don't want the shirt to be red in one frame, but blue in the next). If you want shading, do that in every frame, making sure it's accurate to the light source you want to portray.

The 3D one should take 1-2 days to make the model, a full day to rig it (2 for me, rigging was a bitch to do for me personally), and maybe 2 days to fully animate it. Coloring takes a second, and so does creating a light source. The 2D one, however, will take 1 day to create the major frames, 2-3 more days to create the major in-between frames, 2 more days to do the last remaining frames, 2 days of correcting the animation, anywhere from 2-4 days just coloring, and 3 days to finish the shading if you didn't do it with the coloring (this is if you're not doing anything in this time frame but animating, sleeping, and eating)

All in all, the 3D animation will take roughly a week to do if you're having trouble like me with the rigging. The 2D animation one will take anywhere from 9-12 days if you spend maybe 6-10 hours each day working on it.

So, from my experience, 3D animation is easier and faster to do compared to 2D. If you wish to go into 2D animation, you need to take a 3D animation course as well to get a good understanding of it. Now, 3D animation has its drawbacks just like how 2D has its own benefits. What I'm getting at is, the reason Disney chose to go into 3D animation is because it's less time consuming, which means that's less hours their employees will be working, and that helps reduce the cost of the production of a movie overall (less time you're working on something, the less time you need to be paid). Not just that, but 3D animation is doing very well in America, so they know going to 3D was a better option at this moment in time.

I personally adore 2D animation. I'm super new at trying my hand at it, but I love sitting down and just taking my time and drawing every frame. Do I get frustrated? Absolutely! But that doesn't stop me from liking it. That also doesn't stop me from watching 3D animated films: people worked really hard on those, Cocoa is a fantastic example of how hard work can create a beautiful film regardless of its medium. If I like a movie, I'll watch it, and I won't care if it's one form of animation or the other.
Listen here, you don't get to pop into my topics just to give me one big fucking lecture to defend 3D animation and make excuses for Disney falling away from their true art form, got it? And no animators in the past ever needed to take courses in 3D animation to learn how to do 2D animation, when there was no damn thing as 3D animation before Pixar! You don't need 3D animation to know how to be a 2D artist! And I am not going to defend the studios for wanting to phase out 2D animated movies like you want to just because they refuse to do the fucking work.

I am closing this discussion. Right now. And don't even think of showing your face in any of my other discussions again if you're just going to be another of those pathetic CGI apologists.
Woah, dude, relax.  I'm not trying to start a fight.  
Look, I'd love to see 2D animation to return to mainstream media, too (mainly because I'm a 2D animator and I want a job lmao), but I'm just saying it's not likely to happen anytime soon. :/ 
Not when people who claim to love 2D animation spend more time paying to see 3D animation than actually speaking out about it.
Well, y'know, people are allowed to love both 2D and 3D animation...just sayin'. 
View all replies
We've tried to explain this to him a million times!
Oh dear...Are you serious? D: 
View all replies
I think it was bound to happen because traditional 2D for Disney was beginning to fall apart around the early 00's because they were running out of material to use and while Emperor's New Groove and Lilo/Stitch were good it was obvious they were at their last gasp, while Pixar as a whole was just becoming the dominant force in animation. I mean holy shit, look at the years, 2004 it was Home on the Range vs. Incredibles, so there you go, while as we all can see Disney still had an uphill battle with 3D until 2010 when it found its niche..... There's always anime I guess. 
They were just putting out weaker movies than the ones they were putting out in the 90's, and being in 2D animation had nothing to do with it. Even Walt's remaining nephew Roy E. Disney at the time caught onto that, asking why they couldn't just go back to making better movies with stronger storytelling, but the studio insisted that they be hasty enough to blame 2D altogether and throw away their artistic roots completely, with the notion that all their animated films will be automatically better if they make them be CGI like Pixar or DreamWorks. Yet Chicken Little was obviously no better than Home on the Range, which only proves how flawed that corporate mindset of theirs truly is. Not to mention that they had already released two 2D animated features in 2002 with Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet, and one of those movies was clearly more successful than the other. You don't blame the medium just because one 2D movie didn't do as good as another one, when it's more likely that it just wasn't marketed as good as the other movie or didn't have as good of a story as the other movie. For every great live-action movie to come out of Hollywood, there have always been some bad movies as well. Movies don't suddenly stop being filmed in live-action just because we end up getting a bad one here and there.

And Pixar just got in Disney's way even though they were making their movies for them. The people of that animation studio like John Lasseter really don't have any real business to be having creative control over Disney's animation studio, thinking that they can say what they should or shouldn't be doing anymore. It's because they're trying to turn Disney into Pixar that they've been ruining the studio and taking away its identity.
I forgot to mention that Hollywood follows trends. So with Pixar, and eventually DreamWorks doing CG animation, it was bound to take on for Disney that would and this idea of being mad as Lasseter is only partly warranted, while you should be mad at Bob Iger, the person who's job is to make money for the studio hence why they bought Marvel, Star Wars, PIXAR and so on. He's not interested in doing a fantastic movie if it only rakes in 3 million compared to a non-original entity that'll ensure 800 million.  
I blame Iger as well, but I still think that getting rid of Lasseter is a good start.
It won't change their animation style until there's a resurgence of 2d animation, and that won't happen until 2D animation is a dominant style again, which hard to say "when" if 3d animation continues to evolve and like with that upcoming Spider-man movie being different than traditional cg animated movies. Then you still have anime that's completely digital yet looks 2d in design.
They're the ones who have been trying to get rid of it in the first place. The decline of 2D animated films in America has only ever been because of them.
View all replies
Can I just say I think it'd be really weird for the Brave Little Toaster to be in 3d? I like it's quirky 2d animation so much, it's part of what made it stand out to me so much, that and the first movies extremely dark undertone. Loved it.