L of K

So finally binge watched all of Legend of Korra via the local library (the one advantage of waiting).  My thoughts:

Overall, it felt like there was a general lack of planning, and there were too many characters to juggle, so nearly everything felt underdeveloped.  Mako and Assami both felt stiff and boring, so I never cared much for either of them. Korra annoyed me first because she was stupidly arrogant and impulsive, then in season 4 she was taking too damn long to fully recover.  Tenzin was my favorite of the main cast, because he had a lot going for him, and relationships with a lot of different people.  Bolin was cute, and Varrick was cool.  I loved the antagonists of seasons 1 and 3, but the ones in 2 and 4 were bland with weak, fuzzy motives.

I liked that the series was an expansion, seeing more Water and Air benders.  I liked the ongoing theme of "anything can be used for good or bad".  I loved seeing the story of the first Avatar, but it seemed like the showdown with Vattu should've been saved for the final season.  I liked much of the music.  I didn't mind the 1920s setting, or even the robots.  But I hated the skin tight glider outfits the Air benders were using in Season 4. 

One thing I really don't get: people either loving or hating Korra for being "so badass".....but she was getting her butt kicked multiple times in each season, needed other people's help for her recoveries, took longer than Aang to master all the elements, and spent THREE years getting over her PTSD.  So what are they even talking about!?

Oh, and yeah Korrasami annoyed me because it came out of no where.  But its not a sole reason to hate the whole series.

Overall, it annoyed me, though I liked some things.  The Last Airbender series was better.
Comments31
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
was there even any explicit Korrasami in the show? I read somewhere that Korrasami was only confirmed by 'word of god' and did not even appear on screen on the show :facepalm: Do Korra and Asami even share a kiss in canon?
They held hands in the last 5 seconds of the show while looking at each other :P
:jawdrop: if that makes a ship canon, then

ZUTARA IS CANON!
I wish Zutara was canon, makes more sense than Korrasami
yeah... :) I don't mind KorraSami (actually prefer it to MaKorra)

but I never saw it on the show, because I stopped watching Korra in the middle of the second season (right after she got hit by that cliché amnesia plot device). The cartoon was just so bad, so filled with cringe-worthy clichés and butchered characterizations of the AtLA characters, and plot threads that seemed to go nowhere, that I got yanked right out and couldn't enjoy watching it. So in the end I guess I don't care much who Korra ends up with -- but I'd rather it be Asami or Bolin, because Mako is an immature fuckboy who jerked Asami around for no reason when he actually wanted Korra...
Makorra made more sense and had the two characters acting together. To be honest, I think Bryan ruined Mako's character (and thus Mako Iwamatsu's memory) so he can make this shitty Korrasami couple. In fact, I hope Korrasami burns in Hell because that is how much I loathe it. Also, no one seems to realize that the early 20th century was homophobic/biphobic (Watchmen brings this up)
... :stare: even Aang and Zuko had more relationship subtext than this (Dancing Dragon, anyone??)

and they call this a canon ship?

:facepalm: by these standards Sokka and Toph are dating, and Katara is pregnant with Zuko's illegitimate child.
You forgot Azula and TaiLi's lesbian marriage :P
honestly I never saw that one; :D my money was on Mai/TyLee
The general lack of planning originated from Nickelodeon being dumb.

Basicly they initial ordered a 12 episode mini series but when the final episodes of season 1 were almost done being animated they suddendly demanded more episodes leading to the creators quickly assembling a writing team and renewing the contract with Studio MIR. The latter of wich had to completly reschedule their productions for this wich took a while wich is why the first half of season 2 had to be animated by Studio Pierot wich lead to something akin to a 60s Hannah-Barbera cartoon.

And why didn't they threated the show like it's predecessor by giving it 13 test episodes but then letting the writers and creators decide how long the story should be? It would've been a no brainer since ATLA is still popular and a target demographic already exists in form its fans. So, why was that? Simple: for some bizarre reason the higher ups at Viacom decide wich show gets wich treatment and they believe that only Spongebob is marketable and consider everything else to be random appendages that don't deserve more than a passing aknowledgement. I haven't watched Harvey Beaks yet, but appearently that show went through troubles because of that mindset aswell leading the creator to write quite a few angry tweets.

Now their reasoning in and on itself is not entirely unfounded given Spingebos continious popularity, but there still the question of "Why the fuck do they care?" I mean, the only thing thats important to people in their position is that their properties make money. Nothing else. They shouldn't care wich specific show makes money just as long as there is frequent income from that pineapple cheese guy channel. Besides, why wouldn't they want to have more beloved properties to market? Disney has now not only it's own every expanding library of own properties but also absorbed Star Wars and Marvel Comics wih they all market almost equally to audiences. Meanwhile Viacom is sitting on Star Trek hardly knowing what to do with it.

"Badass" doesn't mean unstoppable or rational. Batman is badass but he requires help rather often to get out of especially sticky situations (unless the writer is a massive Bat fetishist who thinks that giving Frank Millers version the skills of Adam Wests is a good idea) and he's also the last person who would call himself rational ("You're a warrior princess from an island of Amazons. I'm a rich kid with issues."). And Korras questionable behaviour was kind of the point. She grew up knowing that she's basicly the chosen one, knowing that she's powerful by default wich explains her thugish and self righteous behavior pretty well. Her overcoming that through set backs and learning her limits and maturing was what she was about. Wich would've been written better if the above mentioned wouldn't had happened.

KorrAsami also didn't really come out of nowhere. Both characters form a closer relationship due to their exploits in season 3 but sadly it wasn't really that much expanded upon in season 4. It's like building a house: the foundation is the setup; pulling up the walls is the build up and putting on a roof in the pay off. In regards of KorrAsami there was a pretty solid foundation and a nice roof. But the walls where just like 3 or 4 bricks high. I mean, you could technically live in that house rather comfortably without having to duck the entire time but it's not really optimal.

Overall though, given the circumstances of the production I'm honestly surprised that the show turned out to be that good. I'm not kidding. This could've been so much more horrible. Like really fucking horrible. Avengers Assemble horrible.

Generaly speaking what the show lacked wasn't talent, vision or skill but simply time and resources. If the show would've had a longer pre production and better support it wouldn't have had those issues.
Korrasami is terrible and you know it. Someone sooner or later is going to deconstruct the fact that if they had lived in the actual early 20th century, they would have been either social outcasts or murdered
Does it matter where the general lack of planning originated from?

A cartoon is a product that is created (and influenced) by many people, by a team, but really it's only the final version that counts -- the one viewers get to see. If that is no good, it is no good. The good intentions of the original creators don't mean a thing if they are not included in the final version. Saying Nickelodeon screwed up Legend of Korra is the same as blaming a publishing house for their edits of a traditionally published novel: readers will never see the novel's first draft, they only get to see the final version.
Wow, I hadn't known all those details about the production.  I had known there was changes over whether LoK was gonna be One Season or more before the first season even got released.

I had heard someone complain about Korra being "invincible", which is very nonsensical, from what I watched in the series.

I'll concede there was a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit of a lean towards Korrasami in Season 3, but just that.  A little bit.  And it would be much more subtle than anything else seen in this or TLA.

lol, Someone tried to claim "Korrasami was planned since Season 1" which is a lie, since Season 1 commentary said there were plans to write off Assami at the end of Season 1. 

Can't really compare LoK to other current shows.  I've only really followed Gravity Falls, We Bare Bears, Ninjago, and maybe I'll look more into Adventure Time.  I've naturally heard a lot about TTG and the PPG reboots being heinous, but I hadn't heard much about Avengers Assemble. :|
Geez, I made alot of typos.

But yeah, this is basicly the gist of it. Nickelodeon has really questionable politics and prioritys and thus screws over their creators and subesequently their shows. One fo the reasons many people seem to be more interested in working for Cartoon Network since they at least keep the WB CEOs out of the creative process.

Avengers Asemble is just plain hard to watch. Long ago I've watched the first few episodes and it wasn't pretty. The pacing is insanely fast and there is never a single quiet moment since there is always some form of music, sound effect or pointless talking going on. They improved a little bit in the latest episodes wich I've watched at random but it's still not that good. It has a high annoyance factor.

There was a 90s Avengers cartoon named Avengers: United We Stand wich also had these problems but with added Power Rangers aesthetic.

Generally speaking, Marvel animated shows are hardly ever as good as their DC counterparts. I've watched a few episodes of Justice League Action and to be honest, for a show where every episode is basicly just a long fight scene it is really good. Primarily because they use the (really entertaining) fight scenes more as a backdrop with something else being the actual focus. Like for example Superman and Hawkman fighting Lobo in space is the fight scene portion but the actual focus is the slaptstick of Space Cabbie trying to catch Mr. Mind. And yes, Space Cabby is an actual really obscure Silver Age DC character no one ever heard of. And he's pretty funny.
Who said she was a badass? She was more of a thug and bull-headed.
It's still SJW pandering though, and I still prefer Makorra, or that they should have had no end pairings so everyone could make their own end pairing in the end
Yeah, no end pairings woulda been good for me.
Because now we have a bunch of militant SJW pieces of shit bullying others for not liking their shitty fanfic couple, including actual LGBT people who said they hated Korrasami
:) that always happens with pretty much every fandom nowadays ~ why care?
Because these people claim to defend LGBT, when they attacked LGBT
yeah, but are these people important in any way? do they have any influence at all? or are they just some crazy raving nonsense all day long?
Bryan Konietzko is now an SJW and he panders to these pieces of shits. These pieces of shit are hypocrites is what I am saying
View all replies