let's talk about animu

I've always adored anime since seeing it as a kid xD 
But as each season passes by it feels that there's less 'worthy' stuff to watch 
Granted, there will always be a few good standouts from each season (for me recently it was mob psycho 100) but yeah it feels quite bland so i am reading more manga and older stuff (which i do not have that much exposure to), especially films (i really likedperfect blue!) 

For me, a lot of the newer shows feel bland because fanservice and lack of insightful story. (NB: I started following each season after 2010, so it would be fun to discuss anime from earlier times). However, I've really loved Ping Pong the Animation and Mononoke xD

Bear Emoji-37 (Wondering Question) [V2] 

So, what are your feelings towards the future of the anime industry/upcoming season
any all time favourites?
when did you start watching/reading manga and are there any older series that have just stuck with you
What are your feelings towards older anime?

*first time posting in this particular forum* ; ; maybe this has been discussed tonnes already...
Comments70
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Honestly, there are always amazing anime every season. Currently, I'm watching Gabriel DropOut and Kuzu no Honkai.

I really started watching anime with Initial D (incidentally, the show also got me into cars), and I've loved it since. I also adore the living hell out of shows like Senjou no Valkyria and Princess Resurrection.

All-time favorites include Utawarerumono, Utawarerumono:  Itsuwari no Kamen, Hibike! Euphonium, Another, Senjou no Valkyria, Initial D, Fire Emblem, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Flying Witch, Wagnaria!, WWW.Working, Ghost in the Shell:  Stand Alone Complex, Jigoku Shoujo, Lostorage Incited WIXOSS, Selector Infected WIXOSS, No Game No Life, Nisekoi, Ookami no Koushinryou, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, K-On!, Angel Beats!, planetarian ~ the reverie of a little planet ~, Hellsing, Hellsing:  Ultimate, Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio, Suisei no Gargantia, Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta, Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku, and Orange.

Older anime are, uh, okay, usually. Not a whole lot of them aged well, though.
I like the art direction anime took -- [long ago] anime characters used to have saucer-plate eyes and gigantic heads and tiny childlike bodies...which looked really weird and was difficult to relate to. Compare that to now, when anime has taken the turn for more realistic art, beautiful real-looking backgrounds and characters who have proper anatomy.

It also seems like the quality of anime dubs has gone up considerably. Now for many anime, the official released dub actually sounds better than the fan-subbed versions. [long ago] dubs were done in a really bad quality and had annoying grating voices and the translations were really bad (especially the translation of Japanese slang or idioms: those were translated directly into English, losing their meaning, and ending up with very weird unrelatable sentences).
I'm not sure bout the future of anime, cause I don't like a huge of the new animes. They are all with school kids and I don't like that~
It would be great if we would get more anime without school kids~ It's way ro often, so it's really boring I think~

My all time favorite is Baccano~ >////< And this is for years now~ There is now better anime.

Oh I don't know when I start to watch anime....hmmm....but I really love Slayers~
A shockingly rare occasion has occurred.

I found an anime series I don't hate.

Watamote.
>What are your feelings towards the future of the anime industry/upcoming season?
I'm not too sure...I haven't been watching anime recently.

>Any all-time favorites?
Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers, Voltron, Sailor Moon, Mew Mew Power, Pokémon, Spider Riders, Magical DoReMi, A Little Snow Fairy Sugar

>When did you start watching/reading manga and are there any older series that have just stuck with you?
When I was barely a year old, I watched the first anime ever imported into the US: Astro Boy.  That series, as well as Speed Racer and Gatchaman, stuck with me all my life.

>What are your feelings toward older anime?
I like the older and newer anime just about equally.   It all depends on the animation, character design, and storytelling.
I haven't watched lots of anime but I'll talk about what I've recently watched:

I wasn't able to get into Seven Deadly Sins. I guess anime like that aren't for me.

I can see why FMAB is popular too.

I love the main characters in Michiko to Hatchin. The setting and animation are cool and the story is interesting to me.

I have only seen three episodes of Yuri on Ice and I like it. It's not a masterpiece, but it's still good to me.
Hah, Nice to see a fellow Anime fan

I think the first one I watched and liked before knowing it's Anime was Princess Mononoke about (15-17 years ago) and it's still one of my favorites. When there are too many ecchi animes going out I also feel a bit annoyed, but quite a few good series get out as well. Depends what everyone likes. A few I enjoyed over the past 2-3 years are: The new Mushishi series (big fan); Log Horizon; Haikyuu; Gintama; Silver Spoon; Parasyte; Barakamon; ReLife; Natsume; Charlotte; Oregairu; Mahouka; and quite a few other. Mob 100 was quite nice as well. You can say I watch a lot of anime and different types.
Right now I can't wait for 
A Silent Voice and Your Voice to finally appear with good quality and lets not forget Attack on Titan season 2 in 3 months. The first episode should be around my Birthday :happybounce: 

Several all time favorites are Mushish, Full Metal Panic and Full Metal Alchemist; GTO; Beck; 
School Rumble; Black Lagoon; Berserk; Toradora!; Nodame Cantabile; Gurren Lagann; and sooo many more movies and anime. I'm probably missing a lot :D (Big Grin) 

How do I force myself to like Anime again?
There's no point forcing yourself to like something. If you like it, it should naturally happen.

Though if you want to give it another chance or something, go find a series that suits your taste/interest. Find an anime about a subject you like.
Great, in that case I don't have to like the shows that Zoltar likes. I can admire Dragonball Z and hate Bleach.  

The only ones I like are not the faggy ones. I like shows about robots, comedy and stuff. Unless you are those disrespectful degenerates who disregard my interests. 
w-when did you stop liking it D:
Oh, a long time a go. Probably at 12 or 13. On TV there where too many with bad art styles and where heavily fantasy focused or traditionally focused and too much hype.
big time animation fan, but I don't feel the animation realm is dying, I'm constantly finding new and exciting things to watch, and there is the rekindle love that creators are doing these days.  granted I don't like everything, there are some genre I'll watch literally last on the list once I've ran out of everything else, but I have yet to have that happen. always been with animation myself, so I only realized later that it wasn't American.  prefer animation over live a lot of the times.  I own quite a lot of the older stuff such as Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Dragonball Z, hellsing (older not new), vampire hunter d/bloodlust, Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, etc.  even some stuff I was only able to find on VCR from the second hand thrift stores.  I suppose my all time fav being Witch Hunter Robin, I adore that one. not really a comic book reader, but I do read them from time to time and to be honest, I have no problem over new and old anime.  granted older anime is hand drawn, such as the Cowboy Bebop, Akira and the likes.  something was lost when it went from hand drawn to computer/cgi, but it's still good to me.
wow vcrs XD thats kinda impressive 

> < havent heard about witch hunter robin
(have you seen red line :o )
saw redline some time back, it was sort of interesting, it reminded me somewhat of dead leaves in the plot being all over the place and like an "acid trip" when it came to certain scenes. 
Mononoke is one of my all time fav animes! Very very underrated. I'm glad to hear someone else appreciates it!

So, what are your feelings towards the future of the anime industry/upcoming season
Ehh.. not good. Maybe I'm just more picky now.. Too much moe/slice of life, shoujo stuff.. I like seinen/action/dark ish stuff so there's very little for me to like out there.

Plus I like the longer series... stuff that is at least 52eps... 

any all time favourites?
mononoke
code geass
Bakemonogatari / monogatari series (great animation studio and director)
one piece (default, since I grew up w/ it, and it's what made me read manga)
gintama (b/c i prefer it over the manga, and I like the animation studio + voice actor)
danshikoukousei (funny shit)

Other good stuff:
FMA, jigoku shoujo, claymore, durarara, mawaru penguin drum, one outs, monster..

But imo, manga, based on novel/light novel, or original anime is generally better than animes based on manga. I just think the original source is a lot better - generally

For example... tokyo ghoul manga is a LOT better than the anime adaption.

when did you start watching/reading manga and are there any older series that have just stuck with you
I think I started reading manga around... 2000?
Can't remember.. and really depends on what you consider 'old' if 'old' = time before I started reading manga.. yeah, there were probably a lot of old ones I read, but I don't really pay attention to what year it came out...

I grew up in HK, we have anime instead of cartoons, so I've watched probably since I was 3 or 4y/o

For the below, I'm just guessing the year based on artwork, b/c like I said, I don't pay attention to the publishing year.

good/decent older manga/anime: berserk, jojo, shamo, shigurui, macross7 (quality is pretty shit by today's standard, but I liked it as a kid), nintama rantarou (kids anime, I grew up with, so it's super nostalgic for me - still running as far as i know), fushigi yuugi, petshop of horrors (manga, tho I think they have OVAs), stuff by kaori yuuki (god child, ludwig, bloodhound, etc.. I really liked her stuff), x(1999) - clamp, slam dunk (manga)... etc

What are your feelings towards older anime?
By older, I'll assume pre2000s... there are some good ones. Plus I think people should always watch stuff considered 'classic'.  But I think most were quite mainstream back then (or there were less less mainstream ones to watch).
yea i like seinen and dark fantasy stuff too 
everything seems kinda toned down q q
i dont really mind length xD as long as its good and not rushed

havent been able to get into monogatari idk why :S

kaori yuuki sounds ineresting
aaa clamp xD 
(yo is hk like semi english speaking?)
Yeah, but they've always toned down manga>anime adaptions. Then the manga usually starts toning down themselves..

It might be a bit slow to start and I guess the art/director style is kinda different I guess. It does cater a bit to the whole moe stuff though. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Kaori Yuuki was a really big name back then.. I really think kuroshitsuji is heavily "influenced" by God Child. ...actually quite a lot of similarities to Ludwig no kakumei too. 

Hmm.. English is an official language here, and HK is supposedly English speaking. But I think most people aren't fluent/confident enough to manage a typical conversation in English. (My 1st language is English though, born CAN, went to a Brit school and US uni ^^)
Yeah, I agree with the source generally being better than the adaptations.

Nintama rintarou was the shizz~
Yessss!! Jumping High-Five - NaNoEmo Day 11 

Who was your fav character?
IIRC I liked Kirimaru the most, but yeah -- I don't really remember the show much anymore; I can only remember that I loved it when I was younger.