Details

November 21
Link

Statistics

Replies: 43

Is Nintendo becoming even more like Disney?

:iconenlightened-titan:
Enlightened-Titan Featured By Owner Edited Nov 21, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
twitter.com/Crimson_Mayhem_/st…

The thing is, the two have always been alike. It's just that Nintendo has recently become Japan's wealthiest company, and now they're doubling down on Japanese etiquette (already a major aspect since their origins) and copyright enforcement, even as a multinational corporation. This week, they're banning all Smash Bros. tournaments due to the involvement of a Melee mod (Slippi).

Though to be fair, there were those mass allegations within the Smash fandom...and the company's natural tendency to punish fans: tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php…

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconwanderingwolf09:
WanderingWolf09 Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Writer
Eh not really. If anything they're actually very different.

-For starters, censorship policy. Nintendo has been far more open to games with suggestive or graphic themes and other content as of late with the Switch, something that is starkly different to Disney who even so much as won't allow a bare bum to be visible on the screen without censoring it in some ham-fisted matter (this is also something that separates it from Sony who's been censoring everything anime based and other games left and right).

-Nintendo respects the IP they possess and releases quality games with no political or ideological BS whatsoever. I'd shudder to think what Disney would do if they were in control of these IP's. They'd probably degrade Mario and make him the villain or something due to his 'cis white' status, as they refer to, and just have Peach brutally abuse him along with beating up bowser and other characters, beating and belittling Yoshi, Luigi, maybe even brutalize Toad for good measure. Samus would just be reduced to being a generic due in a tacky space suit. The Disneyfication nightmare is sordid indeed.

-Nintendo tends to treat their workers better than most other videogame companies these days (with exception to GameFreak, but they operate independently for the most part). They went so far as to delay Animal Crossing: New Horizons in order to help avoid crunch despite absorbing a drop in stocks from the announcement in the process. Disney however treats their workers as inhuman chattel to be exploited or disposed of on a whim. The recent massive layoffs from the financial problems of their own making is a recent example of that, and Satoru Iwata went to great lengths to avert layoffs from happening with Nintendo itself during the time the Wii U wasn't performing well, and he took a paycut of his own accord to make up for the financial shortfall (and god bless him for that).

-And then there's Disney's ruthless attempts to control the media and silence dissent along with buying out as many studios and organizations as possible in order to exert it's ironclad control. Nintendo will acquire a studio every once in a blue moon, but that's nothing compared to the ruthless expansionism the mouse has undertaken in the past decades or so.

So yeah, comparing Nintendo to Disney is akin to an apples to oranges comparison, they're just far too different in terms of operating mentality and ethical behavior. I'm certain this thread was created in reaction to Nintendo's cease and desist on that Smash Bros. Melee tourney group, but that situation is a bit more complex than it may appear.

From what I've learned, the source of the C&D is directed specifically at the group's use of an internet matchmaking system they designed(basically like smash ultimate's online play for instance). The infrastructure they created was intended to be a workaround to avoid spreading the Corona virus and keep in line with the Covid shutdowns this year. It's not so much that they're holding a tournament but rather the fact that they're also using a specific technology that has use beyond just that one tourney session.
It's worth pointing out that they C&D a fan-made game, Pokemon Uranium, for that same or similar reason as that game also had assembled a sort of online functionality or system (and other pokemon fan games did not get the same response).

The general pattern with all of their C&D's is that they're trying to be as protective of their IP's as reasonably possible, and as I understand it, the reason for such a guarded stance has to do with avoiding the threat of
Public Domain.

I'm not an expert on law so I'd have to look further into it, or you could also look it up, but based off what I know and what I've discussed with other people, if an IP becomes prevalent enough in the public sphere in a way that's detached from the company's handling, it can potentially be considered public domain, and the company would lose control over that particular property in the process.
People may argue if Nintendo is being selfish or not with how they're handling their IP's, but the videogame industry, especially on the console end, is fiercely competitive, and Sony in particular is a rather ruthless corporation that won't hesitate to strike when the other's down (Microsoft isn't much better unfortunately as they're still pretty corporate and opportunistic). I'm certain the thought of Sony being able to release their own Mario games or others without resistance, should such IP's wind up in public domain, keeps the Nintendo execs up at night.
:iconbigk64:
BigK64 Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
All I could say is this: they always have been.
:iconjade-everstone:
Jade-Everstone Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Student General Artist
the sad thing is at this point they might as well be smh. I'm still not over how much they harmed fan project & emulation/preservation communities with all their DMCAs. I know other companies have done similar (eg: many fangames have been pulled and/or rebranded into original content). The difference for me though, is Nintendo does it more frequently & on a bigger level.
BigK64 Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
IKR. They are quick to enforced a cease and desist on fan projects like Mother 4, AM2R and that Paper Mario fangame on GameJolt I really wanted to play for the sake of preserving their intellectual properties even though for some of them they are doing nothing with them for over a decade.

Really shows a lot when a company like Arc System Works would actually give a fan programer a job due to their work on a fan made net roll back code for online gaming in Guilty Gear X2; yet Nintendo will throw a bitch fit when a bunch of player incorporate online matchmaking in Dolphin so its possible to play Melee online.
:icondingbat1991:
Dingbat1991 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Nah, Disney is more villainous. Disney goes a step further an lobby in additional copyright laws so the mouse can consistently avoid becoming public domain.

Also, speaking within the last 10 years, at least Nintendo puts quality into their work.
[Remembers Paper Mario Sticker Star, Metroid Other M, Pokemon Sword & Shield, Star Fox Zero, ARMS, Super Mario 3D All Star]

Sure. Quality.
Dingbat1991 Featured By Owner Edited 3 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Talking from an objective standpoint, what's wrong with ARMS and Super Mario 3D All Star? I thought people liked ARMS, and the only negative things I can say about it is that Nintendo really kinda snubbed it over Splatoon 2 at the time.
I mean anyone is capable of a flop here and there, it happens. Nintendo definitely had a rough patch during the Wii U era, but then you look at what they had this year and last year alone: Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Luigi's Mansion 3, Ring Fit Adventure, Super Mario Maker 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - arguably the biggest game by any of the 8th generation consoles. Just standing by my case that they seem to consistently put more effort than Disney has.
Disney has put out things that could be considered quality enough to leave a lasting impression, sure, but I would way their case lately has been few and far between especially in comparison to Nintendo. The last 5 years, they've had Zootopia, Duck Tales... then if you really want to stretch it: Coco and Star vs the Forces of Evil. After that, I genuinely can't think of anything else that garnered a lot of praise. Might I also remind you that in 2019, Disney arguably had not one, but two of the worst movies ever released that year. And in 2020 they really f'd up bad with Mulan. Disney seems to have a habit coining on the nostalgia factor with low-effort live action films.
You seem to be ignoring stuff like the Tangled Animated Series, Amphibia, The Owl House, Avengers Infinity War, The Mandolorian, The Mickey Mouse shorts, Big City Greens, Big Hero 6, Jungle Book (basically one of the few good Disney remakes along with Cinderella) and Moana. Its kind of disingenuous to say that Disney is not putting out high quality content that is enjoyed by everybody by highlighting mostly the crap. I mean, FFS, need I remind you that Disney in 2019 also gave Avengers Endgame, one of the best superhero movies that serves as a fitting closer to the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Seriously as bad as that remake Mulan is, they made up with that shit with the second season of The Mandolorean.
As for ARMS and Super Mario 3D All Stars, the problem with the former is the lack of replay value due to the lack of content Nintendo is putting out and having a niche online server when multiplayer is like its key selling point; kind of like how Wii Sports decline in popularity. 3D All Stars, well, for a game that is essentially an overglorifies port it should at least have a good justification for the $60 price like enhanced graphics or extra bonus content; especially after games like N Sane Trilogy and Re-Ignited came out.
In short, Nintendo is not in the clear when it comes content. Like Disney they do put out some great works that are worth checking out; but they have also produced low quality/effort titles that are there just to be cash grabs. So I canít say they are better when it comes to releasing good works more often then Disney, as really they are about the same in that regards.
Dingbat1991 Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I also recommend reading WanderingWolf09's post because he's pretty much hit the nail on the head to why Disney is much more loathed a company than Nintendo these days.
Just checked it and it really ignores Nintendo's tendency to shut down fangames and emulation due to them infringing on their IPs despite being, y'know, non-profit.
Emulation is a grey zone though. Also there's a difference between enforcing the laws and manipulating the laws in your favor.
So shutting down production of fan games and tournaments that were made for non-profit purposes isn't manipulating laws in their favor?
(1 Reply)
Lack of replay value is not synonymous to lack of quality. ARMS wasn't a headliner for the Switch but by no means was it considered a bad game or a game that had no effort put into it. On the contrary, considering how afraid Nintendo is with creating new IPs, I think ARMS is a particularly unique and interesting concept.
And I thought people were generally happy to get legacy Mario games ported over to the Switch, especially Sunshine. I have heard things about the price tag but regardless I don't think this game should be used as an example in either argument.
Fair enough with examples you provided (although Big Hero 6 came out in 2014), to be fair I forgot about Mando and Avengers.
:iconshadow-dimension:
Shadow-Dimension Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Student Digital Artist

Well, you have to realize Nintendo is only so stiff with it’s IP’s. Because they know the power that they hold with them.

Think about it, we could get video fanart, or forum posts of anything on DA. And it’s 90% Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, and Star fox. Which are all Nintendo IPs. Heck, when indie devs want to make clones of retro games they always go to Nintendo games.  And, Nintendo can keep re-bundling old video games from years to decades ago. And still make a great profit. While most other companies can't break even on their own classics. Even if they sell their classics for half to one quarter the price of the originals. And, when it comes to special edition consoles. Nintendo still holds some of the highest record sells of special edition consoles.

And to top it all off. Nintendo’s characters are so recognizable. That every time I, or anyone else wears a video game shirt. That has a Nintendo character on it. It gets more likes then a one with any other game character on it.

:icontoxicisland:
ToxicIsland Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2020
Besides, didn't Nintendo actually approve of the Indie Zelda game, Cadence of Hyrule?
ToxicIsland Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020
Well Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, does seem much like a better Wreck-it Ralph sequel than Ralph Breaks the Internet, and most of their games just keep getting better and better, unlike Modern Disney's movies, so I'd say no.
:iconstevemacqwark:
stevemacqwark Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Family-friendly image? Check!
Most beloved iconic mascot in the media it came from? Check!
Merchandise? Check!
Main products always sold at high prices? Check!
Routinely goes on a copyright rampage regardless of fair use or context? Check!
Re-releases around for a limited time? Check!
:icontriagonal:
Triagonal Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
I have higher hopes for Nintendo than I ever had for Disney. Disney's best era was between the time Walt Disney died and when it became just marketing, and even that wasn't very grand. Nintendo isn't perfect or even grand either, but they've shown they know how to make even their cheesy content at least fun. Nintendo is also fairer than Disney, being critical in more of its decisions and faults. If we see Nintendo become like Disney, it'll be in a way we don't recognize.
:iconredfoxbennington:
Redfoxbennington Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2020  Student General Artist
Nintendo has always been more or less Disney. In it's marketing has been appropriate for minors. Looking baby as hell and yet still packing a hard punch.

Miyamoto has succeeded where Tezuka-sama failed and that is being the Japanese Disney.

Now a days their video games are being treat their IPs like money grubbing things. Pokemon are superhero movies,  and Mario 3D all Stars are in the preverbal Disney vault.

Nintendo of America is evil like Disney in certain ways. But not as shitty as Disney.
Enlightened-Titan Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I think this has something to do with Japanese copyright law, mainly.
Redfoxbennington Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020  Student General Artist
You mean the limited quantities of Super Mario All Stars 3D?
But Nintendo's business decisions such as Super Mario 3D Star's limited release, or the cancelation of that Smash Tournament, we're not by the game designers themselves were they?
No obviously not. Clearly men in suits thought of this entirely on their own.
So I was wondering, what would happen if the lawyers and Game designers at Nintendo switched (No pun Intended) their jobs.
They would fail every case.
But the now-lawyer game designers would much kinder to fans works won't they?
(1 Reply)
Enlightened-Titan Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Maybe.
:iconsmashfang:
SmashFang Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2020
I like a lot of their games, but their business practices are decades in the past. Also Pokemon hasn't been great since like 2014. It's such a shame the fan made games get taken down, because they actually look good for the most part. But Pokemon Company keeps putting out mediocre game after mediocre game and it feels like they don't try much anymore. I like Sword and Shield better than Sun and Moon, but like what's the point if the quality is reletively the same level?

As for being like Disney, I don't know about that. Maybe if they bought more studios and started forming a monopoly... Both of their business pactices are about as equally bad. Still find it outrageous Disney charged people $30 to watch Mulan remake four months early. And Nintendo's Super Mario 3D All Stars should've been a little better than it was to justify $60 price.
Enlightened-Titan Featured By Owner Edited Nov 21, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
While their business practices are extremely outdated, they at least exhibit transparency when explaining what's been going on with Metroid Prime 4. Plus, Iwata cut his own salary and not others' during the financial downturn.

Other than that, 
Sword and Shield doesn't live up to the Switch's capabilities.
:iconsmashfang:
SmashFang Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2020
Yeah, that's true. I'm really glad they restarted production on that, assuming it looks nothing like Federation Force on 3DS. lol
:iconsketch-faggot:
SKETCH-FAGGOT Featured By Owner Edited Nov 21, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
If Nintendo was Disney they'd be buying up companies left and right to kill their competition and be an oligopoly but they haven't, Microsoft would be a better example of that. I think people have just been grossly unaware that Nintendo is not a perfect company, has been doing stupid stuff for decades that fans of gaming have pointed out but Nintendo fans are so obsessive with them/the franchises they hold the company in such high regard that they think the company can do and have never done any wrong and when something does make it into the news (such as the joycon scam) they get shocked by it. I think there's still a lot Nintendo has done right and they can correct things, sometimes they have. They've had some great people at the helm over the years but also not so great people and really really anticonsumer stuff they've done. Like holy cow has Shigi screwed people and whole teams over, over the years for the most petty of reasons. And don't even get me started on scalping.  When it comes to copyright Nintendo is very old school and misinformed, they are known for being a bit too much to themselves and it hurts them all the time. The copyright issue is not new. People have criticized it for years.  I'd be worried about the Pokemon company now that is some low bar Disney exec, "make money at all costs" type of crap.
Enlightened-Titan Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
"I'd be worried about the Pokemon company now that is some low bar Disney exec."

It also seems like the Pokemon franchise will end up like Sonic, which currently hasn't gotten a main game since 2017.
AleVesper Maybe we could use a Super Mario RPG reimagining like those live-action remakes from Disney.
But not Crappy like those live-action Disney remakes.
Enlightened-Titan Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Personally, the remakes started off fine, but they've gotten worse since then.
:iconalevesper:
AleVesper Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh dear God, I hope not. I still friggen love Nintendo.
Mrgreen36 Some of the best.
:iconmrgreen36:
Mrgreen36 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
As far as I’m concerned they make good games and that’s enough for me
Add a Comment: