Is Nintendo becoming even more like Disney?

twitter.com/Crimson_Mayhem_/st…

The thing is, the two have always been alike. It's just that Nintendo has recently become Japan's wealthiest company, and now they're doubling down on Japanese etiquette (already a major aspect since their origins) and copyright enforcement, even as a multinational corporation. This week, they're banning all Smash Bros. tournaments due to the involvement of a Melee mod (Slippi).

Though to be fair, there were those mass allegations within the Smash fandom...and the company's natural tendency to punish fans: tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php…
Comments69
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I hate them since they shut down Emuparadise
There are other ways to get roms you know. I will not post it here though.

Their PSX isos were the best. Not the crappy ISOS without any soundtrack from other sites.

But not the game developers at Nintendo themselves right?

Absolutely no. I definitely respect and admire Miyamoto, Iwata, Sakurai, Itoi... heck even Reggie. They're all amazing and deserve a nice spotlight in game design history.

It's not like most of the old games are going to be re-released anytime soon.

I know, but that site was a big museum for old games.

This would not had happen if covid outbreak did not happen.

Pus there might is an easy fix as a this could have avoid that neither side thought about.

How about put a lvl  9 difficultly and the one who beats that the opponent CPU who is posing the oppent player faster or  is still stand wins the match
the requirements for this social distance tourney would be a steaming camera ,twitch or  you tube account  that can live stream it .

I mean come on we came up the idea car parades for a old man birthday, however people flip because they can not use a mods to stream a tourney 
comment if you agree with this idea

UPDATE: Nintendo is now canceling Splatoon 2 tournaments due to Melee protests: twitter.com/Dexerto/status/133…

Also, here's how someone summarized the company's recent decisions: gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1…
Not only that. It's now come to light that Nintendo has asked the person who was making custom made Etika joy cons to stop making them.

In case anyone is unfamiliar, Etika was a fan of Nintendo who often did over the top reactions to Nintendo Directs. He passed away last year in June.

Can't believe how scummy Nintendo has gotten lately. It's just one thing after another.

Edit: I never personally watched Etika, but I've known people who have. Seeing this on twitter just makes me mad.

"It's now come to light that Nintendo has asked the person who was making custom made Etika joy cons to stop making them."

Do you have evidence?

EDIT: Oh, wait, found it: https://twitter.com/Mystic_MeIody/status/1335784338953297922

Man, I'm disgusted.

I'm unsure about whether to get their next console now, whenever that comes out.
At least the game Devs at Nintendo themselves aren't like this.
Nintnedo has always been like this from day one. Out of all of it's I.Ps only

1. Metroid
2. Donkey Kong + Mario
3. Gameboy + NES

are all original properties. They make something powerful out of something cheap. Old tech nobody knows about being resold at high prices which is cheap for them via stock options. Not one, not the SNES, Not StarFox, Not Yoshi is originally their properities at all, nore an original idea at all. All of it an original persons work.

Thank god for computer programmers and artist renderings who actually have some respect for the genre Thank gosh for electronic musicians and inventions of the Keyboard, and people who understands that stuff.

Nintendo is walking on frail legs. The make good top of the line hardware meant to be Tv-Toys.
Eh not really. If anything they're actually very different.

-For starters, censorship policy. Nintendo has been far more open to games with suggestive or graphic themes and other content as of late with the Switch, something that is starkly different to Disney who even so much as won't allow a bare bum to be visible on the screen without censoring it in some ham-fisted matter (this is also something that separates it from Sony who's been censoring everything anime based and other games left and right).

-Nintendo respects the IP they possess and releases quality games with no political or ideological BS whatsoever. I'd shudder to think what Disney would do if they were in control of these IP's. They'd probably degrade Mario and make him the villain or something due to his 'cis white' status, as they refer to, and just have Peach brutally abuse him along with beating up bowser and other characters, beating and belittling Yoshi, Luigi, maybe even brutalize Toad for good measure. Samus would just be reduced to being a generic due in a tacky space suit. The Disneyfication nightmare is sordid indeed.

-Nintendo tends to treat their workers better than most other videogame companies these days (with exception to GameFreak, but they operate independently for the most part). They went so far as to delay Animal Crossing: New Horizons in order to help avoid crunch despite absorbing a drop in stocks from the announcement in the process. Disney however treats their workers as inhuman chattel to be exploited or disposed of on a whim. The recent massive layoffs from the financial problems of their own making is a recent example of that, and Satoru Iwata went to great lengths to avert layoffs from happening with Nintendo itself during the time the Wii U wasn't performing well, and he took a paycut of his own accord to make up for the financial shortfall (and god bless him for that).

-And then there's Disney's ruthless attempts to control the media and silence dissent along with buying out as many studios and organizations as possible in order to exert it's ironclad control. Nintendo will acquire a studio every once in a blue moon, but that's nothing compared to the ruthless expansionism the mouse has undertaken in the past decades or so.

So yeah, comparing Nintendo to Disney is akin to an apples to oranges comparison, they're just far too different in terms of operating mentality and ethical behavior. I'm certain this thread was created in reaction to Nintendo's cease and desist on that Smash Bros. Melee tourney group, but that situation is a bit more complex than it may appear.

From what I've learned, the source of the C&D is directed specifically at the group's use of an internet matchmaking system they designed(basically like smash ultimate's online play for instance). The infrastructure they created was intended to be a workaround to avoid spreading the Corona virus and keep in line with the Covid shutdowns this year. It's not so much that they're holding a tournament but rather the fact that they're also using a specific technology that has use beyond just that one tourney session.
It's worth pointing out that they C&D a fan-made game, Pokemon Uranium, for that same or similar reason as that game also had assembled a sort of online functionality or system (and other pokemon fan games did not get the same response).

The general pattern with all of their C&D's is that they're trying to be as protective of their IP's as reasonably possible, and as I understand it, the reason for such a guarded stance has to do with avoiding the threat of
Public Domain.

I'm not an expert on law so I'd have to look further into it, or you could also look it up, but based off what I know and what I've discussed with other people, if an IP becomes prevalent enough in the public sphere in a way that's detached from the company's handling, it can potentially be considered public domain, and the company would lose control over that particular property in the process.
People may argue if Nintendo is being selfish or not with how they're handling their IP's, but the videogame industry, especially on the console end, is fiercely competitive, and Sony in particular is a rather ruthless corporation that won't hesitate to strike when the other's down (Microsoft isn't much better unfortunately as they're still pretty corporate and opportunistic). I'm certain the thought of Sony being able to release their own Mario games or others without resistance, should such IP's wind up in public domain, keeps the Nintendo execs up at night.
Regarding censorship, Nintendo has stated it's up to 3rd party developers whether they choose to censor their games. I've always been salty about Tokyo Mirage Sessions pointless, ABSOLUTELY pointless, censorship and a lot of people like to blame Nintendo for that, but I think that was a stupid Atlus decision. Funny how they make Persona games that have very mature themes, yet TMS gets butchered. They could've kept the original content and it still would've been rated T.

Then Atlus decides to butcher both japanese and english versions of the game for Switch because of region free. Gotta protect the kids from the T rating, right? lmao

Yeah, Atlus can be weirdly inconsistent with what they choose to keep and change (or how they go about altering it for that matter, like how their solution regarding the issue of a certain infamous person in Persona 2 was to just put sunglasses on him:facepalm: )

I suspect though more than anything that it's just the localization team over compensating, like when they decided to try and pass off a game as taking placing in New York instead of Tokyo (I can't remember if it was Catherine or a different game where they did this). I heard they unfortunately caved in to the Twitter mob's demand to censor part of the new character they introduced in Persona 5 Royal as well.

I think they're getting better about it though, and the company pushing to release their games on Steam and noticeably moving away from Sony, who's become censor crazy as of late, is indicative of their growing desire to move away from censorship overall as well.

This is why I’m glad Nintendo decided to build their park at Universal Studios rather than Disney World.

Yeah no kidding, especially with the Disney Park's ticket pricing continuing to skyrocket (along with everything else in the park) while the rides are malfunctioning and breaking down spectacularly more and more often.:disbelief:

Universal's Super Nintendo World looks pretty amazing. I'm hoping to check it out next year when everything returns to normal hopefully by then.:D

On that note, figure I would throw out an interesting factoid for responding to my post. JK Rowling, author of Harry Potter, initially went to Disney first when she wanted to pitch a potter themed area in a theme park, but she quickly gave up and was disgusted with the proposal they were pushing her to accept. She left them and went over to their competitor, Universal, who was far more receptive with what she wanted in the parks.

From what I heard, Bob Iger, Disney's CEO at the time, wanted Rowling to settle for something incredibly watered down with the only attraction being some kind of tea cup-based ride with witch hats, or something stupid and lazy like that. Their counter pitch was something similar to how Galaxy's Edge initially started out as, a pretty stark contrast to Universal's handling of the Harry Potter themed areas.

Yeah, Disney is dead.:dead:

Hell yeah! And besides, Square is much more like Disney than Nintendo is, considering they're even more overprotective of their IPs, as evidenced by Final Fantasy's lack of content in Smash Ultimate compared to other Third party franchices, them doing more C&Ds then Nintendo has (you'll get C&Ded from COSPLAYING as one of their characters), their habit of buying out other companies such as Taito, Crystal Dynamics, and of course, Enix, developing some of the most expensive video games of all time, Hell they even work with Disney on one of their game franchises!

Reminds me of their most recent catastrophe, the Marvel Avengers game they released. Apparently they lost around 50 million on that from what was reported, and it didn't take long at all for it to be DOA.

I've heard good things about the Final Fantasy 7 remake though, aside from some controversy regarding a potential, stupid retcon of the ending or main storyline, but they backpedaled on that it seems.

I won't argue though that Square Enix is a pretty shoddy, corporate company and generally one of the more worse Japanese videogame companies out there. Not as bad as Konami, and not to the extent of EA and Blizzard to name a couple, but it's getting there unfortunately.

All I could say is this: they always have been.
the sad thing is at this point they might as well be smh. I'm still not over how much they harmed fan project & emulation/preservation communities with all their DMCAs. I know other companies have done similar (eg: many fangames have been pulled and/or rebranded into original content). The difference for me though, is Nintendo does it more frequently & on a bigger level.