Details

September 26
Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

Why do people like food themed levels?

:iconyangxiaofan457:
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I've noticed that when I ask people about their favorite levels, a few tell me that they like levels that are often food themed. Like in Super Mario there's this world called the Luncheon Kingdom which is made entirely out of food, and in Rayman Legends there is Gourmand Land which has both a flaming hell kitchen and a ice cool world with frozen treats. I've always wondered if it is because these levels make people hungry or are they just aesthetically pleasing?

Can you name some other food themed levels in other games? I am curious :).

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconflora-lynn:
Flora-Lynn Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Student Digital Artist
Okay here, I'll list you the reason why I personally like them.

1. I'm hungry.
2. I like food in art, they are so aesthetically pleasing. If you were in my page before eclipse dropped, my dividers and pagedolls were all about food, food, food and food.
3. It's really good.
4. Usually food levels are made with artistic freedom, so it might look better than the other levels.
5. Unique.
:icondoodleandco4:
Doodleandco4 Featured By Owner Oct 8, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Some of the library levels from Castle of Illusion and Candy Chateau from Rayman 1.
:icondesenhoexperiment:
DesenhoExperiment Featured By Owner Oct 5, 2020  Student Digital Artist
It is probably because of pure aesthetics.
:iconcartoon-admirer:
Cartoon-Admirer Featured By Owner Oct 5, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
They work up an appetite. My favs would be Level Ate in EJ2, as well as the sweets level in World of Illusion. Oh, and Sweet Sweet Canyon in Mario Kart 8.
:iconchromattix:
Chromattix Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sounds like your'e talking about a case of Level Ate  :gummybear:

These level themes always felt the most oddly specific for me especially when other levels in platformers (the main games these appear in) are more logical and based on real world environments (desert, forest, snow, factory, volcano etc) while a world made of giant food feels really out of place, but perhaps not too bizarre when you consider said genre often has equally bizarre Art CoursesBand LandsHornet HolesMacro ZonesPinball Zones Toy Time and the somewhat disturbing Womb Level which have all become level tropes over time.

Me, they're not my favourite levels but they can be aesthetically pleasing. I won't say they actually make me hungry but some can be really pretty to look at, particularly the frozen ice cream levels. Donkey Kong Country Returns - Tropical Freeze has some pretty well put together examples of this trope in the fifth world, the last stage in that world is the coolest (no pun intended) and the music is so well composed that it actually gives me chills like I'm playing this level in a giant freezer. Mario Kart 8 has Sweet Sweet Canyon and Sonic Lost World did theirs in a punny way by having it appear randomly in the desert world calling it "dessert" for that one level on the map only :donut:
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2020
Black Ops III had a DLC map where you made your way around a picnic table. It was brilliant.
:iconalevesper:
AleVesper Featured By Owner Oct 3, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
What the fuck. :lol:
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Just saw, that looks awesome.
:iconcitrus-chickadee:
Citrus-Chickadee Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I dunno, because Food Good, I guess? :shrug:
AleVesper Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I love food themed levels. So colorful and lots of fun. :la:
Me too! :D
:iconsmashfang:
SmashFang Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2020
Mario can pull it off. It looks out of place for a Sonic game.
Sonic's levels traditionally were based on more "believable" environments even if the game was pure fantasy. The places in Sonic levels looked like actual places in the real world (even if highly stylized) and no-where on earth is a giant land full of candy or made of giant toys or whatever other "weirder" themes there are out there. But Sonic needed to broaden their themes over time and started getting more exotic level themes later - including a music themed level and toy themed level in the Sonic Advance games, and a candy themed level in Sonic Lost World.
Was there actually ever a food theme level in Sonic? I'm curious. :O_o:
SmashFang Featured By Owner Edited Sep 26, 2020
Both Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World had them. I'll give the edge to Colors for making it a bit more original by making it one of Eggman's weapons factories (at least I think that's what it was). But the one in Lost World is just pure candy and junk food.

Luncheon Kingdom in Mario Odyssey worked so well for me visually because it didn't just add fire everywhere. I mean, it was hot enough to burn you, but I like to think of the liquid as soup or something. The level used cooking utensils and food in creative ways. The one in Sonic Lost World is just floating candy platforms. It just looks bizarre, in a bad way.
Oh God, fucking Lost World. I bought that on sale for seven bucks and I never played past the first level I hated it. :crying:
Never played Colors though. Would like to give it a try.
SmashFang Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2020
Yeah, I did the same thing. I saw it for $7 on Steam and bought it, got to the second world's like 2nd or 3rd level and deleted it from my account it was so bad. I have seen an entire playthrough of it on youtube, and it just didn't look fun. It's probably my least favorite Sonic game and I'd rather play Sonic 06 and Shadow again than giving Lost World another shot.

Colors I don't like either, but it's a way better game than Lost World. I kind of like watching speedruns of Colors so I don't have to watch/hear the awful cutscenes.
:iconsheackng-the-guy:
Sheackng-the-guy Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2020  New Deviant
Could you react when it's Korean weight gain fangame "Fatt Fatt"
Not a fan of the weight gain but the visuals are pretty impressive.
:iconrosalinassoulmate:
RosalinasSoulmate Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2020  Student Filmographer
For me, I feel like food-themed levels have really distinct visuals that help them stand out against other levels in the game. One of my personal favorites is Sweet Sweet Canyon from Mario Kart 8. I love how much of the standard elements of a Mario Kart racetrack have been altered to be food-themed. For instance, the traffic cones are ice cream cones, the water is soda, and the grassy areas are instead covered in frosting. :nod: Plus, the catchy music is really fun.
That's awesome, I love how creative they get with levels like that. I agree, I remember in Mario Galaxy the sweet levels had a fast-paced music that is really catchy :)
:iconrosalinassoulmate:
RosalinasSoulmate Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Student Filmographer
Oh, yeah, the Sweet Sweet Galaxy. :D That's one of my favorite short levels in the game (even if I died multiple times there on my first playthrough :XD: ).
Fun fact - the candy themed level's music in Super Mario galaxy are actually a modern version of the original stage music theme in Super Mario Bros 3 (there were two themes, the version I'm talking of is known as the "athletic" theme because it was used more often in more urgent/risky levels such as auto-scrolling ones or ones with lots of pits or flying involved) See for yourself and give these a listen :tunes:

Sweet Sweet Galaxy

Super Mario Bros 3 Level

I love these throwbacks to older games they regularly put in the series. Picked that one up just seconds into Sweet Sweet Galaxy on my first playthrough :D
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Awesome!
:iconthehaxman:
TheHaxMan Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2020  Student Filmographer
Colorful and usually a lot of lava. Fun for platformers especially. One food themed level I can think of is Sweet Mountain in Sonic Colors. That was one of my faves, it was so fun to knock all the candy around haha
Just googled Sweet Mountain and it's beautiful XD.
Add a Comment: