September 25
Link

Statistics

Replies: 28

The Last Console Generation

:iconthedevilstrick:
TheDevilsTrick Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
I think I'm done with consoles.

Admittedly, I tend to say that nearly every time a new console generation comes out, but, this time, I think I actually mean it. The last time I was actually Hyped for a new console generation was back when the PS2 came out. I really can't stress how much of a wonder that thing was, it could play DVD's, CD's, and (you know how there's this whole thing right now about people wondering if their libraries, their Games, are going to carry over to the new console? well...) it was backwards compatible. It was more powerful, it had better graphics, bigger games, and genuine utility, but, with every following generation, I lost something.

I do legitimately say 'I' as in 'me', because every subsequent generation was just a bigger pain in the ass for me to deal with and lost some level of utility, for me. The PS3 could play DVD's but not Blue Ray, and PS4 couldn't play either unless you allowed it to download and update an Ap for it, Every Goddamn Month! As for music, well, only if you had a soundcloud or online connection, and backwards compatibility? That shit went out the door the minute PS3 rolled out (but they could still play PS1 games, which was weird).

I Know, I know, a lot of these problems could be solved by taking it online (and spending several hours signing up for services I honestly had no intention to use), but if I wanted to do that, well, I'd just use a computer. That's the conclusion I've reached at this point, I mean, I'm going to have to keep buying new computers for the rest of my life, the Aps I need can always be downloaded, most of the games are going to STEAM anyway, and, as for console exclusives? If I ever get really curious, I can watch a Let's Play on YouTube. So, yeah, fuck consoles I'm done.

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconorcsattack:
Orcsattack Featured By Owner Oct 5, 2020
I believe I couldn't agree more with you. Though I have some games for PS2 and PS3 and don't recall having that many issues, most of my gaming has always been on the computer. (And I've never used Blu-Ray, so can't say about that).

But there are certain crucial points. First, with computers, if the one you're using is good enough, it might sometimes be enough to only replace the graphics card, so it isn't always necessary to change the whole computer. Whereas with consoles you have no choice but to get a new one every single time.

Second, though I'm not familiar with the newer consoles such as PS4 and PS5, based on what you said the importance of Internet is growing ever bigger, which makes both the consoles and TV:s not so different from computers. Related to the matter is the fact that there's apparently PlayStation Now. I don't really know it that well either, but apparently it can be used to play PlayStation games on PC:s as well. Meaning if it keeps growing in popularity, it would make the concept of console-exclusivity effectively meaningless (unless they pull the most unpopular move and remove the program's support from PC:s in the future). Reckon I'm starting to understand why some folks call PC:s 'the master race of gaming'.

At the end of the day, it would appear that computers and TV:s are nowadays competing over the position of being the primary device people use for entertainment, and this competition apparently extends to gaming consoles as well. If you ask me, the only advantage TV has is the bigger screen, but that's just being a snob in my opinion.
:iconthecunningcondor:
TheCunningCondor Featured By Owner Sep 29, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Not sure where youre getting this from. The ps3 and ps4 both play dvds and blu rays natively without any app needed. 

As for backwards compatibility, the ps5 plans to do so with ps4 games, as well as give said games a performance boost.

Consoles do have an advantage over pc by not having optimization issues. Depending on the infinite variations of games and specs, certain games wont play on certain pcs, as opposed to the simplicit of console organization.

Also lets plays are zero fun.
TheDevilsTrick Featured By Owner Sep 29, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
I get it from actually owning them, The PS4 will not play a damn thing unless connected to the internet, and backwards compatibility for PS4 (only) games is the least the console should have. There are people out there worried they'll have to rebuild their entire libraries of Downloaded content, not to mention their save games and progress on old favorites. Hell a selling point for Control Ultimate Edition (seriously go check out Jim Sterling's video on that travesty) is that it actually WILL, no question, transfer over to the new hardware.
As for the rest, I don't give a fuck, I'm done, Maybe I'll buy a few games from the back catalogue, maybe I'll just play the games I already have until they break down and turn to dust, but I'm not buying into the new console generation.
I never had any issues playing native movie discs. Obviously streaming movies requires internet connection tho, unless previously downloaded. May be an issue with your models disc drive or the discs themselves.
As for backwards compatibility, this includes app data as well as save data.
As for the transfer process, we dont know yet.
Also Jim Sterling is and always has been a laughing stock.
Unless you regularly connect it to the internet, It Will Not Play, I know this because the disks, not downloads, not streaming, Will Not Play. I connected it to internet to remedy this, and it stopped working after a month, rather than screwing with it for the rest of my life, I gave up on it and it has not worked since. Also, your streaming aps, require a log in verification and can be locked off, even if your downloaded content.
The Playstation 5 was actually revealed with two different versions, one with a disk port and another that was basically a glorified hard drive, and considering it's coming out next year, AND backwards compatibility is an issue among players, it's kind of a shitty thing to leave up in the air. So unless this next generation is actually going to turn out to be some High Quality Nerve Gear or something, fuck it, I can live without, and happily too I might add.
And screw you, Sterling may not be perfect, but I'd trust him any day over some corporate shill whose only purpose is to empty my purse.
Again if your console isnt playing movie discs, its either an issue with your specific console or the disc itself.
TheDevilsTrick Featured By Owner Sep 30, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
No, it isn't, Four different consoles over two different console generations (because each one burnt out and died on me at least once), all had the same problem and the disks play just fine on my computers' disk drive.
TheCunningCondor Featured By Owner Sep 30, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Well ive never had this problem nor have known anyone who has so i can only assume youre doing something wrong
TheDevilsTrick Featured By Owner Sep 30, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
Well I don't know anybody else who doesn't connect their console to the internet at regular intervals, either for multi-player, DLC, or streaming purposes. It's possible that it's just a coding oversite that I only noticed because of how I compartmentalize my gaming.
I DO however know of people who have gone through dozens more systems just in the lifespan of the PS3 alone, breaking them and having to buy new consoles. So I'm not mistreating my systems or using them in any way other than they are intended, I just don't connect them to the internet.
(2 Replies)
Addendum: Okay, fine, it's possible the Blue-Ray feature on my PS3 just burned out and this is just a me problem, but I could not play a Blue-Ray on the damn thing, it played games fine but wouldn't do that, just the way it was.
:icongametrek:
GameTrek Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2020  Professional General Artist
PS3 palys blue-way out of the box with no region lock.

Your right and honestly the PSX in the United States is what killed the aracde scene.

Dreamcast was the last of West v. East gaming with an Eastern flag and then came the crap the was X-box. I mean it. The X-box was the biggest piece of crap ever made. Dreamcast has so many titles not explored and not translated it is sad.

PS2 was it. Your absolutely correct. At the time I was a Nintendohpe-phile
and honestly while the PS2 sucked in many areas eventually you would

1. Play games from a USB stick.
2. Upload games to a hard drive.
3. Watch Netflix ( that is correct in South America and translated you can use Netflix on the PS2.
4. Play DVD  ( which is what the Dreamcast and Gamecube needed the most.
5. Play FF11 with PC players at the same time which is amazing.

I mean there are so many unique PS2 titles even with the PSX akin to the SNES in Japan and across the world.

Nintendo in all honesty was dead. All it had was

Pokemon
Smash Brothers
Some ports

I mean the Wii did what the PS2 did but better and with the after-market scene and wii hacking and programming it got better. I feel the Wii is a nice ideal game system everyone should play. I mean it what the Wii had was western censored gaming like with the NES.

Is the switch like that now????

.............................................................................................................

The deal with videogames was having the latest and greatest tech in your house. Now without

Income
children
spouse

Your left with consumers not caring anymore. I mean the whole world is super educated about game consoles and production making games for a system seems like a burn.

I can play Gamecube games on my phone. That is insane

............................................................................................................

You know what really hurt gaming the most ?

Gameboy carts being phased out. I mean those things was designed perfectly with the right size. Nintendo aniliated the design for production costs. Once that hit the fan it was over. With the Wii taking SD flash is a sad joke.

Gameboy carts was so perfectly designed.

CD was a nice "hip" "cool" "in" thing but honestly I could search for downloadable stuff for free and play on my pc or my phone and not care about main stream.

Only thing mainstream I might ( might ) care about is playing online.

That is why we have Mario Kart via the phone. I mean omgsh they called it.

Same with Pokemon being able to transfer from the Gameboy games to Sun and Moon. Boom outta sight.

Then all the MMORPG out there right now.

They have so many for PC I can play

Maybe gaming died back with the creation of the original PSX. The thing could be emulated on a 100Mhz - 200mhz windows machine and was in development from 1991.

1991 seems to be the year when everything "jumped the shark"

Everything afterwards was a vacation or Extreme version of something.

The SEGA Saturn was probably one of the most biggest mistakes ever made in the history of hardware development. SEGA other mistake was Making Sonic 2 for the Genesis, If SEGA had force people to purchase the SEGA CD maybe things would have been different.

In fact the problem goes all the way back to Japan with the PC-Engine. Where it sold in a Japanese market, with the restrictions the NES had with design flaws ( Aluminum shielding ) . The fact Nintendo wanted to be cheap with the NES in comparison to the PCE.

The PCE ( for 2d ) was the Apex in comparison to PC  games and some arcade hits in Japan.
While the west had to deal with SEGA, Atari, Nintendo, etc.

OP is correct I guess to say console gaming died with the PS2. The PS2 had the blackest appearance and literally was like a VCR of gaming. GCN had the best hardware but all the action was on the PS2.

Then X-box came along..........why god why god this garbage box. They were way worst then PS2 games and wanted to lock everybody into a subscription.
:iconsmashfang:
SmashFang Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2020
Um what? The PS3 does play Blu Rays. I use to use it for Blu Rays all the time until I got a PS4.
TheDevilsTrick Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
If you download an extension from the internet. If not, then it only plays Blue Ray from before 2012 because some of the disks are imbedded with a code that requires your system to update in order to play them. Kinda like how your games, if you don't regularly update your system, will force you to update them with a file on the disk, except you have to go online to download the update and if you don't it won't work.
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2020
that's how choices are.  but I've had many consoles (many hand me downs) and I'll continue because I'm a gamer.  I have a decent library and I believe 4 will play on 5 for awhile.  I have more of a digital copy than physical disk.  not going to rush out and buy a new console until a game is released that I just have to have, like I did for 4.
TheDevilsTrick Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
That's fair enough, admittedly my biggest complaints come from the fact that I'm still stuck on Physical Media, but I have a library of my own and most of my old consoles still work. I just don't see what this new generation has to offer for someone like me when I can still pick up and play my old games (rather than being forced to pay for the right to 'upgrade' or download my entire library for the third time in ten years).
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2020
I've noticed that's how consoles work, instead of just fixing the old console they release new to generate more money to buying new games, buying old games for the console conversion, etc. the market on remasters alone... that's why there aren't that many new games, they are too busy remastering for new consoles.
Add a Comment: