I refuse to go all digital

If I ever get the PS5, I WILL NOT BUY THE DIGITAL EDITION. If that day ever comes when all consoles go all digital, I’m out. I will be done with modern gaming forever.
Sorry, but I’d rather spent $500 dollars on a console that has a disc drive, and pay for physical games that I purchased with my own money fair and square, and that I can keep that copy of that game until the disc breaks and I buy a new one fifteen years down the line, than buy a box that only downloaded games and you don’t even get to keep those downloaded games forever. Because as soon as the PS5 servers ever goes down for the PS7, all of my games, the money I spent on those games, and the $400 I spent on the console will be all wasted. It’s better for me to buy something worth keeping and using for decades just like the SNES, PS1, Genesis, PS2, and GameCube (which are consoles I own and repair), than boy a useless box that will have zero games after the servers go down, and I feel like I’ve been scammed out of my $400.

All digital media can go screw itself
Comments41
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Whenever the game industry finally collapses, I can at least hold on my collection of physical copies to prove they exist.

Timespinner, _iCEY_, River City Girls, etc.

You buy a computer and you dont want it to be digital ?

Stupid Me! 
Though at least with pc they are never gonna take the store down. Since pc doesn't have generations. The only difference between your new pc, aside from it having a newer version of windows, is it's faster. Delisted games can also be got though unofficial means as well not the case with consoles unless you can hack it you can easily hack most Nintendo consoles but PlayStations have never been easily hackable same with xbox.
I have a high end gaming PC, and I not only still prefer to game on console when viable, but if there's a physical version for a PC game that I want to play, I'll get the physical version.

I wrote code for sinclair games, was the first to use an Apple II to create 'artwork', so why do I now use a PC to play games rather than a dedicated Box?

Simple answer is cost.

All the consoles have a base capacity fixed by the hardware therin and to fix even the silliest of faults can be more than buying a new unit.

But a PC can out strip the same capacity for a fraction of the cost.
Yea same here.

Luckily it doesn't seem like Nintendo will ever push for a all digital future(it will do nothing but devalue their trillian dollar IPs), and carts are infinitely better then this Blu-ray POS tech, that requires you to install games on a HD/SSD, which if you're going to have to install games, might as well just play on the PC..

The Internet infrastructure could be destroyed today, and most of my games would still be playable :)
"The Internet infrastructure could be destroyed today, and most of my games would still be playable"

You and I think alike, good sir. :la:
Join the PC side of gameverse and together we will enjoy millions of titles via a SSD without spending a cent.

I mean seriously a Digital only edition. ROTFL.
I'm rather enjoying my free digital games I get thanks to Plus, but your choice.  disks are cool, I got quite a collection that I pop in and play, however playing digital is a bit smoother on the system vs the disk.  so it doesn't really matter with digital vs disk the space isn't going to change none.  and I rather like the extra storage space, those disks are nice, but they take up room I don't have to spare.
Don't be done with gaming forever if things go all digital, just get older systems. Besides, the day that things go all digital will be the day when those older systems boost up in popularity because of the many people who dislike digital only consoles.  But yeah I agree, the 500$ version is the way to go. The price will exceed 500$ anyway for either system when the SSDs are taken into account too, so may as well get a system built with quality in mind and without having to rely on the internet for both single and multiplayer games. I know I wouldn't want to forgo all of my PS4 games that I have on disk either, kinda defeats the purpose of backwards compatibility then anyway.

I meant to say that, I’ll be done with modern gaming.

:icontroofsplz:

That, and if something happens to your system, well, too bad for you. Now you've just lost every single digital game you bought.
That is a good point. These consoles are made to last a long time, but not forever.
Older consoles tend to last more then newer ones due to no moving parts or less moving parts like cartridge based systems. 
Also let’s not forget that if your console dies and you wanna buy a new system, the same thing that happened to my PS2 and ended up getting a new one... if you have downloaded games on you all digital console that’ll end up getting delisted in stores, and won’t get deleted unless you delete them, guess what? Your console dies, all those games die too, and getting a new all digital system is worthless.

There ya go!
Bottom line is, going all digital is a bad choice in the long run. I will never buy an all digital console, I’m sticking with all physical all the way.
You want more reasons why the PS5 all digital version is not worth it, go watch TetraNinja’s video on YouTube.
I only purchase smaller indie games digitally since physical copies are harder to come by for them.
Plus, the drives you store the downloaded games on fill up quickly, so you keep having to spend hundreds on external drives. With physical media, you don't have to put the whole game on a drive, which saves a lot of space.
I can delete any game on my PS4 and that saves me a lot of space. Plus I can reboot it again whenever I want and I can continue from that game where I left off on as long as I don’t delete the save file.

When you delete a game off Xbox, it deletes the save files, too. I'm pretty sure they can be recovered from a cloud storage somewhere, but I've never tested this. There's also the issue of some games being data hogs with their save files, so keeping even that much may be problematic. For example, the save files for the Dragon Age games can be almost as big as the games themselves.

If the ps5 really does have only 800gbs of storage, itll fill up almost immediately whether you buy digitally or physically. 

Agreed, but digital exacerbates the problem.

I mean its good to have options. As long as it isnt enforced, im cool. Plus, most would agree having all your pc games digitally is perfectly fine.

What are you talking about? You keep the digital games you purchase. They're stored on the system, not some playstation server. If the server goes down, you just don't delete your own digital games. It's as simple as that.