Details

September 15
Link

Statistics

Replies: 26

Sonic and Playstation

:iconsmashfang:
SmashFang Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2020
I remember a few years back, there were some people who wanted the Sonic the Hedgehog IP to be bought by Nintendo so Sega could focus on other games.

But here's a thought. What if Sonic was bought by Sony instead? Imagine a 3D Sonic game that looked as good as the new Ratchet & Clank?

What would you think if something like this happened? Would that make you curious enough to see what they would do with it and possibly pick it up?

I feel like if Nintendo got their hands on it, we'd still see shameless nostalgia, or something like Colors and Lost World, which I would hate personally.

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconstreled:
Streled Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020   Traditional Artist
"Imagine a 3D Sonic game that looked as good as the new Ratchet & Clank?"
Sonic Boom Rise of Lyrics say "hi"

SmashFang Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020
Sonic Boom doesn't look anywhere near as good as the new Ratchet and Clank. So no, it doesn't say hi.
:iconstreled:
Streled Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020   Traditional Artist
Well, Ratchet and Clank in general
:iconthe-power-driller:
The-Power-Driller Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
Hey! I'm fine where I am.
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020
God, why would Sony want to buy such a useless IP? Creatively, Sonic is D E A D, dead. There's literally nothing there.

The third option which nearly every worthless business type, fanboy and American overlooks is just to let Sonic be that character that was a buzz back in the 90's. He gets a nice little throwback appearance in Smash, leave it at that. I mean, do we look at old shows and wonder why they aren't still running? Well, I don't at least. Everything has it's time.
:iconshadow-dimension:
Shadow-Dimension Featured By Owner Edited Sep 16, 2020  Student Digital Artist

I do agree though. It does look pretty bleak with Sonic. Especially after his Maker left in 05.

But, all Sonic needs is a good team behind him. Like I stated earlier, "countless devs could do Sonic infinitely better than SEGA right now". Because SEGA is flat out not doing a good job. They're just recycling ideas from older games. By just following old formulas that has been established as profitable or functional. And topping that formula off by doing basic fan service. I feel anyone of the devs I listed below would have done a much better job.

Who knows, he might make a comeback under a new developer/publisher. Like Netflix's Voltron and She-Ra did.

blackbook668 Featured By Owner Edited Sep 17, 2020
I doubt that would happen. The problem is the limited direction the character has and the limitation of the controls, or rather, what people expect from Sonic.
Sonic is gotta go fast, right? His game is about speeding through a level super fast and collecting as many rings as possible without getting hit.
That concept has been obliterated by time. People expect much more and some two-bit idea is simply not going to cut it.
No developer worth it's salt is going to give Sonic the time of day. It's had it's day. Christian Whitehead did a nice thing in sending it off with a fond farewell but that's not a revival by any stretch of the imagination.
Shadow-Dimension Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Come on, all Sonic needs are people with some vision. If Miyamoto was behind Sonic or Ted Price. They could do something really cool, that brings out the best of Sonic. All you need is someone who knows what to do and has good/great ideas.
Look at the Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, the Avengers, or even Middle Earth. There was a time where people thought it was impossible to make a film with these ideas, let alone a good one. Heck even make anything good with them at all in general, especially Deadpool. But now? Try saying like that about those four things without getting laughed out of a room.
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2020
People put too much stock in creative types, they aren't miracle workers.
SmashFang Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020
Or you know, people still enjoy the series, even though there are bad games here and there. It's not that Sonic is creatively bankrupt, it's that the company who makes it, Sonic Team, just doesn't do anything new with the series (or really, use their brains to think of a decent idea). Ever since like 2010/2011, the series has been on a long nostalgia trip that doesn't seem to be stopping.

There are only like 10 people at Sonic Team who work on Sonic games and most if not all are pretty incomptent, so passing it to a developer who would do it more justice seems like the better option to add some creative juice into the series.

But I wouldn't mind the series taking a long break and then come back in like 10 years with a revival.
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020
The last bit of success the series had was a nostalgia-fest designed to look just like the old one, and the only reason it got the positive reception it received was because it was a nice change from the usual dreck that had been coming out. It is purely a nostalgia-lead game, there's nothing much to it for those who aren't already heavily into the series.
Aside from that, dead series. I am strongly in favour of things having their place and just acknowledging that everything that has a beginning must also have an end. It's like life.
SmashFang Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2020
That's literally Sonic game's biggest problem. Take all the nostalgia away and they could be good games again with the right team behind it. Right now, Sonic Team is really trying hard to push the series into the dirt. It really doesn't have to be this way.

I mean, look at Zelda. It is a successful series and it is probably going to go on forever. It really doesn't need to end and if Sonic was made by someone else and was successful, neither does it.
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2020
Zelda is a series that has continuously evolved and grown. Sonic is essentially one title that released at the right time and got big. Not a single Sonic title that isn't harking back to the original title is good in it's own right and arguably I don't think the original was that great to begin with. It all hinged upon a gimmick, gotta go fast.
The best I've heard when it comes to making Sonic good is basically make the original. I've yet to see anything in regards to 3D Sonic. The very best Sonic can do I think is to be something that appeals to nostalgia because there is nothing that appeals otherwise, not that I can see anyway.
:iconthecunningcondor:
TheCunningCondor Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Honestly, Sonic would be better off in the hands of any other dev, I feel.
Shadow-Dimension Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Same. Nintendo, Sony, Insamonic, Capcom, Ubisoft, Sucker punch, Naught dog, Double fine, THQ Nordic, Rocksteady, Namco, and Platinum Games all could do an infinitely better job. Because Sonic 06, Unleashed, Lost World, and forces. Really is telling that Sega doesn't know what to do with Sonic after his creator left.

Especially Nintendo, Insamonic, Capcom, and Platinum games. Mario Odyssey, Sunset overdrive, DMC:5, and Bayonetta were all 10/10 in my book.
:icongametrek:
GameTrek Featured By Owner Edited Sep 16, 2020  Professional General Artist
Nope. SONY has no real branding or identity. Their videogame identity comes from other games. They just make the hardware and give free marketing to those who keep their games on the PSX-5 hardware.

That is the reality with SONY in fact most SONY commercials will never or barely shows or given any marketing to the developer at all.

Take "Silicon Knights" had it good on the Nintendo Gamecube but when they went to Microsoft they wanted to work on a game they had been doing for the SONY. Microsoft gave them bs about the Unreal engine.
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020
So they don't have an identity yet they kind of do? Because games do make up a console's identity. Sony may not have some colourful mascot but their identity has been very much of cinematic experiences, anyone can see that.
Hidden by Commenter
Sony really could give Sonic games a higher budget, that's for sure.
TheCunningCondor Featured By Owner Edited Sep 16, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
How do you mean?

I recall the ps2 versions of Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog suffered from choppier framerate and audio bugs not present on GC or Xbox.
:iconalevesper:
AleVesper Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh fuck, I forgot Shadow the Hedgehog was a thing. :lol:

As for Sonic Heroes....ya got me there. I only played that at my friend's house a few times.

And I overlooked that the PS3 games also had 360 versions too.

.....Well fuck me. :crying:
I think he means Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations.
Well the ps3 and 360 versions of both of those games were pretty much identical.
Well, they had a Wii and PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed that were much different than the PS3/360 version. Many people consider the PS3/360 version to be the superior version of that game.
Im aware of that, tho its debatable. Many argue that the wii/ps2 versions trimmed the fat, despite despite being less technically impressive.
Add a Comment: