Details

September 15
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

Singleplayer vs Multiplayer

:iconbullmander:
BullMander Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2020
Which do you prefer, and why? What do you feel are the negatives and/or benefits to playing either one?

I personally prefer singleplayer games because I enjoy playing a game at my own pace, but it is upsetting when a singplayer game is beaten since replayability is usually non-existent.

I can only tolerate multiplayer games for a certain amount of time because of the mundane rat race of finding the meta locations, gear, best level up method, etc, along with the communities provided in general. Co-ops are the most entertaining, but there aren't many of them on console.

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconmasked-guy:
Masked-Guy Featured By Owner Oct 2, 2020
I used to like multiplayers (mmo not included here) but nowdays everyone just checks for builds and meta whatever... I rather play some random diamond connect4 than try to get good at whatever call of duty game with shitty EU servers are happening. Not touching Royale games. Idea is good but i dont have 20 hours per day to devote to learn area. <-- For example.

Sooo, mostly single players. I can goof around and do whatever depending on the game.
:iconsachimizora:
SachiMizora Featured By Owner Oct 2, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I love both for their own positives.
But if i had to pick one I'd go for multiplayer, I like playing with friends & enjoy their company <3
:iconimportsandexports:
ImportsAndExports Featured By Owner Oct 1, 2020  New Deviant
It all comes down to personal preference
:iconakumaru13:
Akumaru13 Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Although I do enjoy some multiplayer games like FFXIV online, and SSO on my PC, I primarily play single player games.
:iconshinigami-sadies:
Shinigami-Sadies Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Depends on the game. 

I like a good co-op campaign with my BF or when we sometimes play stupid games. 
But most co-op games are not usually the style/type of game we want to play. 
There are more single player games that I have interest in because I like the story/gameplay. 
:iconredfoxbennington:
Redfoxbennington Featured By Owner Sep 23, 2020  Student General Artist
I prefer single player. I can challenge myself and challenge the designers.

I cannot fathom wasting my time fucking around with toxic douche bags with no taste in multiplayer.
:iconcitrus-chickadee:
Citrus-Chickadee Featured By Owner Sep 21, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Single-player, since I can play at my own pace and not have to worry about what anyone else happens to be doing. :shrug: Playing with other people can be fun, until you get ruined by trolls and the like.

Single-player games that technically have multiplayer things you can do (ex. visiting each other in Animal Crossing, trades/battles in Pokémon, etc.) are pretty ideal though, since you can do most things by yourself but still play with others if you want to, imo.
:iconplantfeathers:
PlantFeathers Featured By Owner Sep 21, 2020  Hobbyist
Single player all the way. There's no way I'm buying into the current console gen con of paying subscription fees for the sake of accessing the online multiplayer part of the games I've already paid for.
:iconminiature-wizardry:
I'm strictly single player nowadays, I don't touch online games any more.

Many years ago I had a very unhealthy relationship with the MMO Final Fantasy XI, I was completely addicted and obsessed, logging in most days over a 10+ year period.  I regularly pulled all nighter's to take park in linkshell (guild) events, and it got to the point where it was having a massive impact upon my social life and work commitments.

To put my obsession into perspective I owned a relic weapon (They took countless years, and hundreds of millions of in game currency to acquire, and back then, out of the thousands of players on a server, you could literally count on your fingers the number of players who owned relic weapons). I'd maxed out almost all of the games 22 in game classes and had maxed out goldsmithing and sub crafts.  For non-players of Final Fantasy XI, all of this is probably meaningless to you, but those of you who played can probably appreciate I had a problem.
BullMander Featured By Owner Sep 21, 2020
I can appreciate the dedication you had to the game, and reaching feats where you're one of a few players with certain gear is definitely a rarity nowadays where everyone seems to max everything in a week or so, but I'm also glad that you were able to pull away from the addictive aspect. Thumbs Up
:iconfloopersixtynine:
floopersixtynine Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
single vs multiplayer is like comparing apples to a chair. sure, they both have origins in trees, but you'd be hard pressed to find me someone who believes they taste the same.
single and multiplayer games are completely different experiences for their players, so it feels unfair to compare them or to say one is better.

i like both kinds of games, but i can't say i like one more than another
:icondariataylor:
DariaTaylor Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2020
I have never liked to play online. Two against the company - yes, but the gaming battles on the Internet have always left indifferent. In my deep belief, a single game embodies the logic of desire, while multiplayer games are built on compromises.
:iconsmashfang:
SmashFang Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2020
What about sitting on a couch in front of a TV playing with friends?
:iconyangxiaofan457:
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I like mulitplayer when it's an open world where you can interact with each other.
:iconazurelly:
Azurelly Featured By Owner Sep 18, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Single player for sure. On multiplayer games like MMOs you're forced to be part of the gaming community because if you make a pause for some time all of them you know are already leveled up and such.

I'm a hard working person and I can play when I have time or when I feel like doing, taking the time to soak into the story and gameplay well to enjoy it to its fullest. That's why l play single player games.
:iconsmashfang:
SmashFang Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020
Multiplayer has been pretty weak for a long while, especially compared to the late 90's/early to mid 2000's.

I find myself enjoying more single player games now a days and if it has multiplayer as a bonus, cool for it.
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020
My interest was in single player titles with little interest in multiplayer but over the years I've grown more interested in multiplayer. I wouldn't say there's much of a rivalry per say, but multiplayer certainly has something to it.
:iconsmithnikovat:
Smithnikovat Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020
Single. It's tough to find a decent community these days. 
:iconbelieveinya:
believeinya Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020
I loved the community of my favorite MMORPG, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, though.

It wasnt large, but it was good. People have been friendly etc.

Advantage of being a small game, I guess.
:icondausenmoore-art:
DausenMoore-Art Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020   Digital Artist
Single-player is fun and all but it simply isn't worth $60 most of the time in my eyes (unless it's an RPG) because they're too short. Multiplayer on the other hand can give you hundreds or even thousands of hours of gameplay. I've played Rainbow Six Siege for over 3000 hours for example. I usually just rent single-player games for a couple of dollars lol.
:iconmirria1:
Mirria1 Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I play games in single player because I have no one to play with and I prefer a single player experience.
I don’t hate multiplayer but I will play a little if I can rope someone into playing with me for the multiplayer mode of a game.
:iconshadow-dimension:
Shadow-Dimension Featured By Owner Edited Sep 16, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Singleplayer. Multiplayer games are a fad depending on what it is. And it dies down heavily after launch. It can also leave you like a crackhead trying to look for servers.

Though I don't hate multiplayer. I still buy my annual 2 multiplayer games I sink too many hours in each year.
:iconalevesper:
AleVesper Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm a real loner, so I'm pretty much a single player guy.
believeinya Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020
Hmm.

Curious: if you're a real loner, then why do you frequent online forums ?
:iconalevesper:
AleVesper Featured By Owner Edited Sep 17, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I should say I'm a loner in real life.
Talking with people online and talking with people face to face isn't the same for me. :P
:icondausenmoore-art:
DausenMoore-Art Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020   Digital Artist
I'm a loner too. You can play multiplayer alone though. Even super team-based games like Siege which I've played over 3000 hours alone. 
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020
I didn't really do Multiplayer until I got PlayStation Plus, as I prefer single player still, I have no problem playing multiplayer as long as it's not outclassed vs newbies.  the stats and weapons are horribly cruel
believeinya Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020
Err ... why would I need a preference for that ? :shifty:

I like MMORPGs and I certainly also like offline RPGs.

:iconsophitiacroft:
SophitiaCroft Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2020
I have been gaming 40 years and single player is where it is at. Always has been always will be. I hate multiplayer so much it makes my hair hurt. I didn't need it then and I do not need it now.

Multiplayer was only created so companies can screw us gamers for as much money as they can get by selling their map packs and season passes.

I am getting sick and tired to the back teeth in companies thinking they have to shoehorn in and tack on multiplayer mode into single player games.

The only time I enjoyed multiplayer was in Soul Caliubur IV.

BullMander Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2020
Hah, I totally agree that after SC IV was when multiplayer began to decline. I think it was then that the party chat system was popularized. Not saying that the inclusion of party chat was the only cause for my enjoyment of multiplayer to plummet, but it definitely aided in making it less enjoyable and only continued to fall when content creators began spoiling almost every single aspect of a game by showing people how to get the best X or Y within a week.
:iconskittlerocket:
SkittleRocket Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I definitely prefer singleplayer games to multiplayer. I'm not against multiplayer games in the slightest, but there are very few that even interest me. I'm not into first-person shooters or anything like that.

And I think, like you, I definitely prefer playing a game at my own pace.
:icongametrek:
GameTrek Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Professional General Artist
GOod out-dated question.

I got into videogames via my cousin.

So I have to say multi-player.

Part of what makes me enjoy that is that memory.

Same with MMORPG and network games.

Those memories are what I treasure the most.
:iconskittlerocket:
SkittleRocket Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Haha, whoops, I think you replied to me instead of the actual thread.
Add a Comment: