Details

September 2
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

Gaming elitists

:icondrakensson:
Drakensson Featured By Owner Sep 2, 2020
I don't know if there's a term for them, I just use to call them "elitists".
But they are basically the people that feel the need to insult or mock people
that like a specific game or type of games, usually the ones which has
recieved bad or mixed reviews. Me for example, a couple of days ago
I was insulted by someone on DA for liking Quantic Dream's games.
As you can see in my avatar, it's from Beyond Two Souls. I suppose
it's because David Cage is an unpopular designer.

But so what? If you like something that I don't, I'm not going to bite your head off for that. They're just games xD big deal. What about you?
Have you run into these kinds of gamers?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:icondabair:
DaBair Featured By Owner Sep 25, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Gamers these days hate everything. It's no surprise that I've run into people like that.
:iconthefandomdoe:
TheFandomDoe Featured By Owner Sep 21, 2020
Dead by daylight fans. They’re either the sweetest things or are highly critical of your perk build or what killer you play as. They can also be extremely critical of casual fans for not having the time to pour blood points into killers/survivors for meta perks and will insult you for screwing up. God forbid you play a low tier killer and get a 4K because then they go apeshit.
:iconsmithnikovat:
Smithnikovat Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2020
Real tragedy about that game, as it's actually a lot of fun and I have a good time playing with my circle of acquaintances. Yea, play with strangers and it's like you slapped a nest of rattlesnakes. 
:iconthefandomdoe:
TheFandomDoe Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2020
Mmhm. I think itís an issue of entitlement tbh. Like I see a lot of entitlement on the survivor end where a survivor wants to win but due to their actions they loose. I get a lot of entitled survivors who dont do jigsaw boxes or totems and wind up getting mad at me when they die by either the reverse bear traps or devour hope. Alternatively survivors getting angry at me when I was either too far to unhook or in a chase. As someone who plays both sides Iím tired of seeing bullshit entitlement like this.
:iconjambatti:
Jambatti Featured By Owner Edited Sep 17, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't think what you described are "elitist" ones. You described rabid fanboys/haters, that is a different thing.  The really annoying ones are the real elitists. I see that you are yet to meet them :) I call them "metagamers".

Back in the old days, it was absolutely normal to explore, enjoy games, find unusual solutions or do something out of the box. Nowadays however, in most games, there are only 2 type of players, according to both devs and so called "communities" - meta ones, and wrong ones. Gone are these days where just enjoying something new or thinking out of the box was a virtue.

Now its more like this:

1) You did something not according to meta, done something that was not intended by devs, and sharing it somewhere in the community? - you are wrong, misled, not worthy and should "learn before post"

2) Same as 1) , but you actually visibly doing great, or did beat the meta ones in one way or another? - you are "dirty cheater", "fake", etc

These are actually the worst type. Especially because they usually nobodies in game, but very loudmouth on forums and have many "sidekicks" who blindly mirror their opinions.

Drakensson Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020
Ah. The backseat gamer. My former best-friend is one
:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2020
The only ones I seem to come across are the "PC master race" people. They keep telling people to switch over to PC gaming because it's so much better. Thing is... a new console costs anywhere from $300-$700. A decent gaming PC with the same specs as the console costs around $3k. That's why we don't convert.
:iconshadow-dimension:
Shadow-Dimension Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Student Digital Artist

I have indeed had to deal with elitists like that as well. People think I have poor taste in FPS games just because I like CoD. Even though I tell them I have been playing since CoD: finest hour. Which plays differently than the modern CoD games. While the new ones are like a Hollywood muscle man action movie. The old ones play more similarly to Medal of honor, with a tone like saving private Ryan. And, they ignore the fact that I play dozens of praised and underappreciated FPS games in the genre. They just think I'm some Doritos eating, Mountain Dew chugging 600lb obese 12 your old.

But, I personally don’t care about the more “elite” of the FPS community. If the FPS game doesn’t have twitch reflex gameplay, takes place solely in the modern era, or is a literal DOOM or CS: GO clone. It’s instantly garbage to them.

:iconwolfoxyo:
WolfoxYo Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I've never been through this, thankfully. But I did get negative reactions when I said I liked Abby from The Last of Us 2 and I saw some folks being banned from Discord servers just for being Undertale fans
:iconbelieveinya:
believeinya Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020
Err, why yes, if you actually like Abby from "The Last Of Us 2", you're definitely a small minority.

First of all, she's made as unsympathetic as possible in the very beginning. Then the game actively tries to force the player to like Abby. Very few people appreciate that.
Drakensson Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2020
Don't start drama now
:iconyangxiaofan457:
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner Sep 9, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I've encountered a few but I've always told those people, "Did the money that paid for the game come from your own pockets? Was the game played in your own house and used up the electricity? Is me playing the game affecting your life or health? Then you should not have a problem with me playing a game that I like."
:iconredfoxbennington:
Redfoxbennington Featured By Owner Sep 3, 2020  Student General Artist
Jokes on gamers. We have been wasting our entire lives on being pretentious about video games. They will never get laid. Not even PC gamers. 

I'm tired of retro first person shooter fanboys shitting on others for liking modern games. It's hecking stupid.
Smithnikovat Featured By Owner Sep 3, 2020
Never get laid? Boyo, I'm 16 married and been gettin laid by that gal since before we tied the knot. 

And I'll shit on modern games when they suck, no fucks given. I'll praise when it warrants it. 
:iconthecunningcondor:
TheCunningCondor Featured By Owner Sep 10, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
16 and married?

Yeah I'm sure your life is gonna go juuuuuust swell.
Smithnikovat Featured By Owner Sep 10, 2020
16 YEARS married. My mistake there.
:iconthecunningcondor:
TheCunningCondor Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Holy shit XD
Drakensson Featured By Owner Sep 3, 2020
The games will never get laid
:iconsezzac155:
sezzac155 Featured By Owner Sep 2, 2020
Yes. The ones that look down on ‘casual gamers’. Most of those folks also have a tendency to hate Nintendo.

Like,I’m sorry not sorry for wanting to simply have fun and relax as I’m playing a video game as someone who doesn’t like shooting people up.

And the thing is Nintendo games usually do well. And have done well. So it’s more of a case of “Its popular, so it sucks” and “It’s easy, so it sucks”.
:iconredfoxbennington:
Redfoxbennington Featured By Owner Sep 3, 2020  Student General Artist
Also Nintendo games are pretty hard.
:iconsezzac155:
sezzac155 Featured By Owner Sep 3, 2020
Yeah. At first they are easy, but the further you go into the game there is more actual skill required. And those levels can get pretty hard even with skill.
Smithnikovat Featured By Owner Sep 2, 2020
Yaaaaa, I've dealt with these nutsacks before and in many places. You want an easy look at one, go to the Escapist's forums and look for a loony toon named B-Cell. He ironically believes that only FPS games are good and he can never praise a game with a female protag. 
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Sep 2, 2020
I don't get the thing against Cage. It's not lke with other developers where the obnoxious personality is front and centre stage. Sure the man has his name on the games but who doesn't nowadays. It's a name to me, not someone to hate.

I've seen lots of people get quite prim and proper when it comes to the correct game to play, like the medium isn't primarily an entertainment one, like people would give it any respect if it did have an undeserved air of superiority.

I hate the idea of telling someone that what they experienced they shouldn't have experienced, of telling them crossly no, you shouldn't have enjoyed that, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ENJOYED THAT!! yet people act like this all the time. It's an embarassment. It's the culture almost in a nutshell sometimes. I got told, no you shouldn't enjoy that Final Fantasy game with both XII and XIII.

What I think it is is people overcompensating for a sense of insecurity regarding their little hobby. They think serious art forms are all critical of things, right, so I'm going to be super critical and take the most babyish interpretation of what that means to heart, as if a medium's critics make it worthy of respect.

Games taken purely in a vaccum may be art but games culture is no art, it's garbage from top to bottom.

I thought Beyond was pretty good btw.
:iconbelieveinya:
believeinya Featured By Owner Sep 2, 2020
A gaming elite is defined by having gaming skills, not by liking certain games and others not so much.

And theres a huge difference between merely mocking somebody or actually insulting them.

:iconbigk64:
BigK64 Featured By Owner Sep 10, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
He’s talking about “gaming elitists”, not 1337.

There’s a difference.
Add a Comment: