I feel like i'm not like the other gamers.

I don't play Pokemon
I don't indulge in GTA 
I have been bit of  a graphics whore since 12th grade
I don't play online games much
I don't do political drama sensational articles 
I play adventure games and retro game
I haven't had enough Nintendo exposure as my friends did or do. 
I wish Smash had Krystal and motion controls. But no people rather make tournaments of it.
I love 3D platformers 
I'm much more about experiences
I don't LOVE the Witcher 3
I don't play with others
I don't care too much about high scores.
I love rare and obscure games

Is there something wrong with me? I feel this is a problem. Should I be like other gamers?
I don't think I'm a gamer. I think I'm a GAYmer.
Comments85
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Same I enjoy old games especially Amiga 500. I love it and play it every day with WinUAE emulator. I also like SNES, Sega, Gameboy and Atari 2600 and have found many games there. I wish my old PlayStation 1 still works, but it doesn't. I also still like old adventure games.

I wish more people will play Amiga 500 and the others. I see many people play new games.
No don't be like other people, it's best to be yourself.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, everything you mentioned comes down to a matter of preference really. I agree on pretty much every point here, though, so I might be a bit biased in saying you're not weird for it. :lol:
I think that's perfectly fine.

I don't play Pokemon = I only played X/Y and Alpha Sapphire
I don't indulge in GTA = Same here.
I have been bit of  a graphics whore since 12th grade = Ok, this is definitely weird (just kidding).
I don't play online games much = Same here.
I play adventure games and retro game = Nothing wrong with that. After finishing Xenoblade, I recently played Xenogears (is it even retro?), and it was awesome.
I haven't had enough Nintendo exposure as my friends did or do = Not sure about this. 
I wish Smash had Krystal and motion controls. But no people rather make tournaments of it. = Have Switch, but I don't even play Smash and Zelda BOTW.
I love 3D platformers = That's fine. Kirby and Ratchet & Clanks seem interesting.
I'm much more about experiences = Same here.
I don't LOVE the Witcher 3 = Never played Witcher 3, so no comment for this. FYI, I don't really like Skyrim, Dragon Age, Fallout, and Dark Souls.
I don't play with others = That's perfectly fine.
I don't care too much about high scores = I played Neptune series despite knowing it scores 4/10 in Metacritic.
I love rare and obscure games = Do you mean less popular/hidden gem? I love the first Nier, better than Automata.
When I meant high scores is I meant hi-scores as in rating your performance

20000 points
43990 points.
Oh right, only a few of my games have those. As long as they are passable, I don't care too much either :D
its awesome ^.^ you do you, boo =))
I don't play Pokemon - check
I don't indulge in GTA - check
I have been bit of  a graphics whore since 12th grade  -check (for me this happened around bugs life, yes im a relic)
I don't play online games much -check
I don't do political drama sensational articles -check
I play adventure games and retro game -50% same
I haven't had enough Nintendo exposure as my friends did or do. -Same, i went from nes->sega->PSX / PC
I wish Smash ... - Smash bros was never a thing, deleting this line.
I love 3D platformers - uncheck.
I'm much more about experiences -Can relate
I don't LOVE the Witcher 3 -Oh damn, It's still better open world than 80% of the crap out there.
I don't play with others -Yet you included smash?
I don't care too much about high scores. -check
--

I too play mostly for fun. However since evrything nowdays is either open world with mmo questing or dlc locked interesting games, the choices are kinda... low.
I have bought like 5 games in these few years. One was Nier Automata but that also happened after hype died. gotta wait for sales.
Those Pixar cartoons make you into a real graphics whorer. 
It's a shame I can't get into most open ended games these days. I am getting into Witcher 3 a little more. 
I don't even like playing with Smash that much. It's a good party game but-
i think you dont care about high scores (in an online game i think you mean) because you havent found that kind of game which has prompted your interest.
For me i don't own anything from Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox, etc. I play simple games i can download on my laptop or tablet, yet i consider myself a gamer (to some extent).

I see a gamer as someone who plays games frequently, not for what they have\do or don't have\do, it depends on the person.
Physical media can be awful.
I know it is lol. I would like to play on a console at some point, i would be terrible at it tho
then you're not a gamer 
you're a Starsrare gamerStars  
How wonderful and sparkly. 
also im not a relater to pokemon too
also these things are for normal gamers too
I don't play online games much
I play adventure games and retro game
I love 3D platformers 
I'm much more about experiences
I don't LOVE the Witcher 3
I don't play with others
I don't care too much about high scores.
I love rare and obscure games
I'll just say this OP, I can wholeheartedly relate to most of what you said except for Pokemon, I was around during the first wave Pokemon boom and it got my brother and I big time. I will say though that my obsessiveness for the series has died down a bit. I'm not really hyped for Sword and Shield for example but yeah, I do enjoy the games.

Anyway like you I mostly like to play older games. I find myself going backwards more than forwards with the games I'm interested in. The last new game I bought was Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled and that technically is a remake so it's not really a new series lol I tend to look at games during the 5th & 6th Generation (Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Nintendo 64, and Nintendo GameCube). I'm also another fan of 3D platformers, the last one I played was either Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy or Scaler, two mediocre games to the public but still fun to me. I'm looking to buy Vexx and the Ty the Tasmanian games. I dunno, I just love 3D platformers haha. I also like some good old Action-Adventure Hack n Slash & Fighting games but again, I mostly look backwards when looking for them.

I can especially relate to not being into games like GTA or not getting into MMORPGS. And as far as Nintendo goes, I too have not played much Nintendo games outside of Pokemon and the Super Smash Bros games. I didn't grow up with a Nintendo 64 as I only had a PS1 growing up as far as consoles were concerned so I didn't really get hit with the Nintendo bug like a lot of other people did which can make it hard to share the enthusiasm some people have for their games.
I used to enjoy Nintendo all the time but when I became 14 I was like "this is cool. But how about some violent  M rated video games instead?"
I can understand. I don't really need "M" games to be satisfied, I can like kid-friendly games so long as the story isn't too childish (which isn't a bad thing, it's just more for kids to enjoy). I like a good mix depending on the game and story.
Me to. And also racing games. I play those casually. 
I haven't played a full on racing game in a long while but I still do like Kart racers haha.
tbh, I really don't think there's any template here for what defines a "gamer". 

Just because someone doesn't play Pokemon doesn't mean they don't secretly spend hours playing Yo-Kai Watch! or Kingdom Hearts. And just because someone prefers to play the original Final Fantasy 7 or even the games before it doesn't mean they haven't been following Square Enix's updates and E3 announcements, because they're interested to see how the franchise changes over time, or because they just like the developer's games as a whole, and are interested to see what they're up to. And just because someone doesn't care about scores or just isn't that competitive doesn't mean they don't like playing the game for the story that it follows, or even just for the fun of it.

There are no hard and fast rules for what a "gamer" is, just as there are no hard and fast rules for what an "artist" is. Video games are so varied and far in between that you could just be in love with a single franchise, or only play a certain genre of games and be called a "gamer". Just like how there's so many different forms of art, both traditional and digital, that the "artist" label could equally be applied to a painter like Bob Ross, a cartoonist like Jack Kirby, an animator like Tim Burton, and a composer like Randy Newman.

Heck, you could call me a gamer, and yet:

I don't play Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, or Mario
I liked Kirby for the anime, never played any of the games
I know little to nothing about games made by Konami
I don't play console games that much anymore
I love games that draw from real-world mythology
I love games with good storylines and characters
I hate roleplaying
I love danmaku/bullet hell shooters
I don't really play any games anymore. I find a game, but then I lose my interest in it about 1/3 into it an then I put it down and ignore it cause I don't want to live anymore.
Are you too busy these days?