Saints Row!

Does anyone still play Saints Row? If so what's you favorite game/character/aspect of the series?

Also do you have any fan characters? I'd love to hear about them :dummy:
Comments31
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I love saints row 2. Absolute classic from the edgyer side of comedy games. but the respect system was a pain in the ass
Haven't played that game in ages i would really like to play it again but i can't seem to get it to work on steam for some reason.
What game? and what operating system do you use?
It was saints row 2 with windows 10 i wasn't able to run it.
Did you try compatability mode?
No i haven't but ill give it a try.
It's probably a driver issue, a lot of older games don't run so hot on windos 10. If you can run a virtual machine for windows xp 32 that'll be best. Or you can run the game in conpatability mode, that works sometimes.
I'm not much of a pc gamer, but hopefully you'll find some way to get it working!
So apparently Saints Row 3 got rereleased on the Switch last month, and I would have gotten it, except I never heard a release date and where I normally get my games, they didn't stock it. So, I'm going to have to order it online as soon as I can afford it, because I never got to play it with all the DLC. There is a bit of people complaining about "performance issues" like it doesn't go at 60 FPS on the switch, but, as I haven't played the game myself on the switch yet, I cannot verify this.
Yep, I've watched a ton of videos on the 3rd coming onto Switch. Sadly I don't have have a Switch though :crying:. I can kinda understand performance issue, the Switch itself isn't as powerful as a regular home console.

Although my least favorite, I would definitely buy it, you can't beat Saints Row on the go! :dummy:
Never thought that someone made a SR topic hahaha. :D
Kinda excited that the official SR's twitter mentioning something about Genki, probably a new SR game? god knows!

I'm a huge fan of Saints Row, I even love SR more than GTA because SR is more personal because you create your own character, a sandbox free-roam GTA styled game where you can create your own character and is not a RPG is very rare, In fact, I don't know any games like that besides Saints Row!

I haven't played the first Saints Row or Gat out of Hell but I already watched them all on youtube. :) 

Saints Row 2 is my all time favorite despite of the female characters design (It's very difficult to create a beautiful woman) but the features, storyline, plot and gameplay is pretty much unbeatable and don't forget the rad cutscenes! (And you can replay them!) 
Picking up objects is very fun, sadly Saints Row 3 doesn't have it. (Saints Row 4 kinda count because you have telekinesis.) I probably has around 500 hours of gameplay on this game. :) 
SR2 storyline is gritty and dark but the dialogue is funny as ever, but the thing that I noticed is that they kinda downgraded the Activities's cutscenes. (In the first game, I recall the Activities cutscenes is pretty much the same as the main cutscenes.) but nevertheless, best SR ever! a great balance between Serious and Comedy and freedom level is just right.

Saints Row 3 is where things start a little bit... something, the graphical overhauls are totally welcome! It's now easy to create a beautiful woman and I like the graphics style, cartoonish yet cool. 
But sadly, I always think that Saints Row 3 deleted a lot of features and surprisingly has less cosmetic items if compared to SR2, I could wrote a full essay to compare both games but that would be ridiculous hahahaha.
The way that they remove the crib customization, the ability to play games, THE ABILITY TO REPLAY CUTSCENES and removing Stronghold is quite mindblowing, not to mention SR3 storyline is very linear.
SR3 is also my least favorite SR game, but It's still fun, I'm still playing it even to this day. (Oh, SR3's Steelport is very bland in my opinion)

Saints Row 4 is surprisingly, very, very fun, the minus thing is, the main story is too short and linear, making the game pretty much repetitive (Side quests are pretty much activities) but I love how they mention older games again and again, and how they could come up with all the plot twists and excuses hahahaha.
Also, SR4's Steelport is FAR more lively, I find that the environment is aesthetically beautiful.

Now, I just want a new Saints Row, or they could just remaster the first SR and SR2 all together, using the current SR style or Agents of Mayhem graphics is okay too!
Yep! I've been replaying all the games lately, so I wanted to know if others loved it as much as I do! 

You've actually described my love for this game to a T :dummy: The character customization and the free roaming keeps me coming back again and again! I have about like 10+ characters I made since I purchased the 3rd game around 2013-14 , they all have their different stories and everything. I would highly recommend purchasing the 1st one for that authentic feel if you ever feel like replaying the series. I do kinda wish they would remaster the first one, since a lot of people haven't played it.. 

I also agree with the character design of 2. I came to love it but it's really hard getting your characters just right, you don't know how many times I went back to Image as Design to change one small detail. The replaying cut scene feature is awesome! And SR2 has one of the best story lines. 

And yeah, those are some of the reasons I disliked 3 so much after I played the first two. There were so many things cut, and a few things left unfinished (like the whole Dex situation from 1, at least 2 had a little content at the very end). :laughing: I actually wouldn't mind an essay to be honest, there's so much stuff about 3 that made it a step down from what we got in 2. They did do a lot of things better in SR4, I was just beyond happy that they at least added a few older characters into the mix! (Also they retconned Johnny's death, an added bonus). I actually kind of hated how linear the story had become. The options to choose what mission you want to do from the first two games was great, the whole gaining respect not so much.. It didn't really affect me that much although. 

SR4's Steelport was really pretty! I found myself driving around much more than I thought! 

And I really do hope they make a new one, I just don't know what will be a good place to start at, or does the series need a reboot?
Oh man, Saint's Row! Love it! The 2 is the only game when i succeed to make a 100% close replica of myself. All the other games never got so near, wich is incredible since you would guess the more a game is new, the more it gets precise on making a character. 
I really, really liked how you can make your own dude and progress the entire story from there, from all the releases in the series. The 2nd had even different voice tracks, if i remember correctly (it was years ago) and i loved that kinda of touch. It gives your character more layers of customization.

I loved the 3rd. It suffered a little from the "Your main OC is always a strong build man / slim build man" so it's difficult to exceed some parameters when creating a character (No more fatty dudes, i found hilarious that in a giant firestorm of bullets you find a pissed off fat slob like myself screaming profaneties while on a running customized moped. Custom vehicles was introduced in 3 or i'm remembering this wrong, by the way?) but let's say that after two titles, your character is now musclebound at best. The voice is now one track, but you can customize it, albeit from what i remember it results in a strange metallic echo. Better than nothing. This is still my fav, it somewhat enlarged the world of Saint's Row and made it more distant to being a "GTA Clone" like some people lamented about years ago, with more crazyness and technology mixed in.

I liked the 4th. It looked like some sort of "Ok, what do people like in Saint's Row?" and they realized that is the crazyness, no BS fun. So they made a game where you can do what we can call "Superhero stuff". Sometimes i found this crazy stuff to be a little too much, so you would find me driving around instead of flying. Wished they'd give a little more attention in that, like some sort of advantage-disadvantage situation. It's like in Just Cause 3: why would i pick a "clumsy" attack helicopter that gets easly destroyed by missiles when i can just be in my wing suit all the time, just picking up my targets one at a time? It just eliminates an element from the game. But, that's really up to the player, and like i already said i drove around a lot instead of using my super abilities so it's fine (and i cheaped out a lot by conquering a lot of places before progressing the story....that broke a game and an half).

Did i already say that i love the series? Still have to play Gat out of Hell to be honest. I love to play this stuff on PC and for now i just can't.
To this day I never made myself in video games for some reason, I always have to come up with a new character! Anyway even if I could, it wouldn't be that exact since you can't change heights :crying:. I am glad they added voice options to SR2 though, but those few lines from 1 were hilarious to me. 

I remember making my first character in the 3rd, and I still have him to this day. I've made a ton of others too, but I'll always have my main "Boss". And yeah, the customization seemed to take a dive in the newer ones. Took me a few minutes to actually get my dude's face correct! I usually leave the voices like it is, since they do sound kinda weird when you make them deeper/lighter. My personal fave would be Male Voice 2!

I also agree on the 4th game; on some missions I always get in a car. While I love that we can sprint super fast and glide, it really takes away the whole "customizing" of vehicle (which I really liked!) They did have option to turn off super powers though, but I never used it.. One thing I did dislike about the 4th one is that they blew up the earth . Maybe if they make another installment in the series they'll reboot it, which I think is the only possible solution. 

Hmm.. I never played Just Cause 3, might have to give it a try :dummy:

:laughing: That's why I tried to do every mission before doing most of the side activities, cause I feel as though my game will glitch out or something. I did give myself a ton of money before starting, I needed new clothes. 

I also adore this series, I keep coming back to it every year or so :D
I always do that on the 1st run, making decisions on my own. The 2nd is always the goody-two-shoes run, with another character, the 3rd is the "how i can ruin this guy's day MORE?" run. If i really like the game, i make all of them. But yeah: the first run is always with a character that always looks as much closely as me.

Well, since they liked to make pop culture jokes, no more time is better than making the 5th game a sort of universe of anyone and anything...maybe even crossing different "Bosses" from all the saves made by the players, creating a storyline where some boss made a choice and the other did another choice, and those bosses are from different players, not always controlling them, but giving at least some spice to the plot. This could also encourage to pick and buy the series. But heh, they have moved to different projects, like Agents of Mayhem (wich i didn't play, so i don't know what to say about that game).

Just cause 3 is fun IF you like to blow stuff up, and has an official multiplayer mod if you want to blow stuff up....but with lots of people. The game world is fairly big, and there's a decent progression system that is tied to challenges that you have to complete. 
It's a game that can get repetitive, that much i can say. In fact i did get bored after a while and stopped playing, i didn't complete the game. I mean, i could've just dived into the story missions, but when there's so much stuff and bases to blow up, i can't just overlook that :D when i'll take some time to start PC gaming again, i'll make sure to nail down this game for good.
I have played all 5 of them. Saint's Row's 3 and 4 are bordering on being some of my most played games.

I hated Saint's Row 1. I just thought everything about it was poor. I actually rage quit the game because two of the last gang missions were impossible to do. I decided to go back to it, bugger the achievements, put on the cheats and finished it just so I could see the ending.

Saint's 2 was a vast improvement. Bigger map and more to do in it. I loved it.

But my absolute favourites are Saint's 3 and 4. I have ran through them countless times with and without the cheats. I have Saint's Row 4's achievements TWICE each on my 2 Xbox Live gamertags thanks to playing Re-Elected which I got for nothing on Game Pass.

The reason I love them is because of the wackiness of them. That is my type of humor.

I totally agree with Jphyper whoever it was that came up with Enter The Dominatrix clearly wasn't right in the head.

Although in saying that the one with Johnny Tag gives it a run for it's money.

Licking my way through a giant candy cane for 5 minutes in The Saint's That Saved Christmas must be one of the most stupidest things I have ever done for an achievement. I did however love the funny comments that came up whilst doing it.

Sexy Kitten Yarngasm must be one of the best level names ever.

Who ever it was that came up with the idea of using Holding Out For A Hero as the music for Three Way should be given a medal. Every time I go of to save my darling gorgeous Shaundi I turn my TV to max volume.

I played Gat Out Of Hell after I downloaded it from Xbox Game Pass. It is alright nothing great. It is short but not bad for an Arcade game.

My favourite characters are my Female boss and my darling Shaundi. I also really liked Kwilanna from Gangsta's In Space.

My favourite vehicle is The Bloody Cannoness Motorbike.

I think 4 got very repetative because you are so powerful so early, the story was banging though.
I agree-- "Holding Out for a Hero" was an excellent choice. Likewise, SRIV's end music, "The Touch" is also fitting. The lyrics do describe the protagonist quite well (though "when all hell's breaking loose", he/she is usually responsible for it breaking loose in the first place).

2 & 4 are kinda tied in for 2nd place to me for different reasons, but I may love 2 a tad bit more.

More on the reason I adored 1 is probably due to how everyone sees it, as a "GTA Clone". While they do share similarities I think the original has it's own touch that makes it memorable to me! I do agree that the game is kinda buggy though, without cheats I remember I died so many times on this specific mission. Most of the time I say screw the achievements and just put on cheats for all games!

Although I do love some of the wakiness the series is known for, I do miss the seriousness from 1 & 2. I could go play GTA but I love creating characters :laughing:

Haven’t really played any of the DLCs yet, but I really want to play How the Saints Save Christmas. Since I got the game a few months after it was released I thought that Re-Elected would have the DLC.. Kinda wish I waited before paying $60.

Since I recently replayed it one thing I did like from Saints Row 3 would be some of the Matt Miller missions, especially when you go inside the virtual world and battle him.

I’ve been stalling on getting GooH since you can’t play as your Boss, but playing Gat would be fun to me!

I think I have an unpopular fave, it’s Dex! My next favorite would be either Pierce or Johnny.

Favorite girl is Lin, kinda wish they didn’t off her in 1 though, wasted potential. So which Shaundi do you like best? I’d pick SR2 Shaundi.

I have got to ask, Why haven't you got Game Pass for your Xbox One?

By having Game Pass that is how I got Re-Elected and Gat Out Of Hell. You are too late now in getting them that way as they have both now been de-listed from Game Pass.

Saint's Row 1 was just piss poor in every aspect. You couldn't get into fights as Friendly Fire didn't sell ammo, The respect system was crap, there was barely anything to do, there was no safe houses, there was no checkpoints during missions, the map was small and the final gang missions are some of the worst levels I have ever done in any game. I rage quit at the mission where you were taken to the airport and then had to shoot at gang members with a rocket launcher whilst being driven in a snails pace of a car doing stunt jumps and being shot at. So glad they listened to the complaints and improved every aspect of the game in Saints 2.

I never took to Gat. That is one of the things I love about 3 is that he is not in it for long.

I got the DLC originally for 3 & 4 when one day I was about to replay the game and saw that the season passes for them was available for only £5.99 ($9) each.

In GooH I use Kinzie except for the parts where you have to use Gat.

My favourite version of Shaundi is the Saint's 3 and 4 versions.

I only play my Xbox once in a blue moon, and I personally like to have the physical copies of games rather than digital (weird choice but I always been like this :shrug:) Anyway I've seen a cheap copy of GooH at my local Gamestop, so I'll go there and buy it. 

I guess I like crappy games then :dummy:
I have to agree about that airport mission though, I don't know how many times I had gotten my car blown to bits just because I couldn't even aim correctly. I had to mute my screen cause I did get tired of Dex complaining.
One thing I do wish would come back is the layering of clothing though, that was really good!

SR 3 was the first game I got, so I didn't really know who Gat was before. Then I played 2, then 1..
He's a fan favorite, but I also know some people don't like him all that much. 

I took more to Kinzie then I did with the new Shaundi. I like her more better in 4 though!
Can I ask, Do you play as male or female?

The reason I ask is that I have always wondered, in Saints 4 in the Leave It It To The Saints and The Girl Who Hates The 50's levels what does a male boss wear in those levels?

I always play as a female so I am always in The Poodle Skirt (which as we all know Kinzie just loves and adores :) ) so I do not know.

I think I got in to it after Saint's 1 was given away free for Games With Gold.
I've played both actually!

But I often play as male. The Male Boss wears a button up shirt with a yellow-brownish vest and slacks. He also has a pair of glasses.
Wise choice. I always go male british with a full suit and top hat