I want to get into Fire Emblem... but...

I’ve been thinking of getting into the Fire Emblem series, but... there’s a problem. I am... NOT a shipper. 

From what I’ve seen, these games seem to revolve around romance, with all other positive relationships between characters severely downplayed. Is this true? I really WANT to like the series, but... 

Can anyone explain FE to me?
Comments30
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Here is something better. The creator of the FEmble series made another series on the PSX. It was never released in the west but there is a translation patch and patched ISO of the game. Otherwise find that Game, ISO it and patch it and play a not so known Femble game.

Honestly FE is so downplayed NES game series and moving away from Nintendo is advised
So let me get this straight, you just 1, immediately jumped into Hipsterville when I don’t have a good PC, and 2, decided to end your “contribution” by shitting on the only reliable source of quality I’ve ever found? Really? 

I just want to find something I can truly enjoy. I’m not concerned with how “cool and underground” it is.
1. HipsterVille?  you can run PSX games even on a 100mhz machines but with computers nowadays you can literally have Hyper Dreamcast quality with PSX games.

2. I miss Nintendo as well but I have decided to move away from them forever. What was once awesome was in the imagination of myself that I have tried to preserve from when I first bite the apple that was gaming. That apple has now diminished and turned beyond recoverable and spoiled. There is truly no joy in turning back to Nintendo.

Yesterday I just picked up a 3ds with Zelda OOT, and realized it was a shrunken version of the Holy grail Nintendo 64 version. The levels and action have been shrunken down and the magic is completely gone with the lame screen display. Then the 3d toggle is a joke. Poor Link face looks like it was sawed off and remapped. It does no justice to the N64 game at all.

Nintendo just does not love or respect it's users and each year they pull some tatic to get us to buy there revamped games. Take those flying racer gaming Mario Bikes??? Those are really revamped bikes from Bomberman series, that is really revamped space bikes from "Lum Chan" which is really from some film or movie from the 1970's or possible 1960's that was forgotten about or was revamped. However we just think of them as generic space bikes that has been Mario Kart transformed.

You want to get into Fire Emble? Find that PSX game, patch it or find a patched copy and then checkout the original NES and possible SNES games. Everything after that is just some gimmick to get you to buy a Nintendo product. That is where Fire Emble died...........when it started.
Okay, so I’m supposed to not play Nintendo games. The majority of the best video games I’ve ever played are from Nintendo. What am I supposed to play, then? Xbox is pretty good with what few good games it has, there’s literally only one PS4 game I would ever want to play, and you wanna talk about gimmicks? PC. Steam is literally just an overglorified App Store.

If I followed your “advice”, where would I find good video games? Not even FE. Video games in general.
My advice would just to sell off your games and open a bank account with that money and welcome to the world of PC. Trust me it is far better. Nintendo is just a dead mule beating a horse. No point in dealing with somebody who has hidden agendas.
You didn’t answer my question. What do I fucking get. I have a Steam account. And I can’t find jack shit. It’s all so bland. I have zero games on PC because where in the fuck do I find something I would even WANT to play. 

Literally the only thing you have done on this thread is act like a pretentious asshat. Not once have you given a single real suggestion. You shat on Nintendo, wow, original. So what games do I play then. What is worth playing on PC. You didn’t answer the question.

Either give me a decent fucking rec or leave. Seriously. I have been asking one question, only to be treated like shit and talked down to. 

You know what? Fuck this thread. It wasn’t going anywhere anyway.

Next time you see someone asking for game recs, either scroll past, or don’t be a condescending dickwad.
i like mobile legend game play in my handphone
Fire Emblem is my favorite video game franchise, and I really don't like shipping.
You can totally just use the supports to make your units better, rather than supporting them for romance. I always did this.
Awakening isn't too heavy on the shipping, but imo Fates pushes it a bit hard. It's still possible to ignore it though, I went through Conquest with way past no romance
Don’t worry about ships too much. I actually didn’t know that the characters would pair up until my female Robin married Chrom in Awakening. (By accident) I just let the friendships happen so that they could learn to work together better and thus not die in a encounter. (Teamwork.) I just put people together who I thought worked well together as a team.
The older games have little to no focus on shipping. 
With the newer games you can still skip the support conversations entirely if you want to. That way you only get the main story. If you still want some character development without too much shipping, you can still watch the C and B conversations. A-rank support is basically "best friends"/"crush"-level and S-rank is straight up marriage.
The only characters who get together are the s rank and all s ranking does is improve the rate of a follow up and block of campinon character plus the two fighters will have a kid and you can have to fight with you. It's optional but it does make playing the game easier. 
go for it bruh

i never focused on the romance part 

just have fun with it Nod 
I mean, you could try and be a big jerk, and that could be fun. I seriously have enough JRPG to deal with at the moment, so I don't know jack about the series.
Just find an emulator online and play the old GBA games they have less focus on shipping and marrying, and if you play the recent ones you can just choose not to marry any units with each other you'll just lose the option of being able to use the child units. You don't really need the child units to win they're just optional, in awakening, however, the game will force one character to marry and if you're playing a female protag and that specific character isn't married of till that point you will have to marry that character in a cutscene. Also, it might be difficult to play conquest if you playing classic and haven't married off any characters since your units will die and will need to be replaced unless you're extremely careful, or you can just use the capture mechanic to recruit more fighters.
. Last time I checked, that was illegal.
Actually, look up videos of the gameplay. You're only describing two 3DS games and one SFC game. Literally two - there's a third game that does not revolve around shipping at all. 

The reason behind the "shipping" and romance is because in those three games, it's a game mechanic that gives extra chapters and characters based upon who you pair together. As a result, it is not "I wanna put these characters together because it's funny", it's "I want to put these characters together so that they will pass down these skills" and altar the stat growths. 

AWakening is... probably the best entry point to the series, alongside The Sacred Stones. The problem with Shadow Dragon is that it's so barebones. And again, Fire Emblem 7 (the first one we got legally) is... kinda like reading The Magician's Nephew. Sure, it's a good enough standalone story, but the game is so loaded with call-forwards to 6 (Which takes place after it chronologically) that they end up lost in translation. Plus, 7 is actually one of the harder ones in the series - it has a lot of "Newbie traps" (ie, being able to only recruit characters at specific points) 

Awakening and Sacred Stones are fairly simple and easy to get into - Fates has a lot of gimmicks attached to it. While Echoes is a great game overall (I'd say it's one step forward, one step back, but two steps to the side), it's so mechanically different compared to the rest of the series that I don't think it's a good entry point - same with Fates. 

Sure, Sacred Stones is closer to Echoes&Gaiden mechanically, but it's closer to the rest of the series. 
Honestly, you're really not missing that much. The gameplay is very generic, and the story and characters are about as dry as the desert at High Noon.
Not in the slightest, and it's mostly optional and not bad (as well as only present in like two games - Awakening and Fates) anyway. If you literally can't handle any amount of shipping whatsoever then ignore those two games, though I'd say you're missing out. Regardless, the series has no shortage of superb platonic supports, and has found its identity on strategy gameplay in a war setting. 
DID YOU SAY "FIRE EMBLEM" ?! *running until here* Ok ok, FE is my favorite video game saga, you must to try !

To sum up, this is a strategy RPG saga. You have a army, a map, enemis, and the goal you you must eliminate the enemies on turn-based
And if one of a member of your army dies, ... he dies for real, it no longer exists in your game (but there is an easy mode, whitout this, in the recent games)

Don't worry about the "support/ship" mode, it's secondary to the story of each game (and this mode only appears since Awakening)

If you can try, I advise you to start with Awakening or Echoes, because they are pretty easy compared to the oldest
That only applies to the more recent Fire Emblem games. The older ones have less emphasis on romance.
Awakening and Fates are really the only (modern and easy-to-find) FE games that put a large emphasis on shipping. Even then, there's literally only one character across the two games who HAS to be married in order to progress the games.

Fire Emblem's mostly strategy, even in the newer games. If you've played Advance Wars or anything similar, you'll probably have fun with an FE game.

Unfortunately a lot of older FE games tend to be expensive and/or generally hard to find these days, but if you have a 3DS you could always try out Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. It's a remake of one of the first FE games and thus fairly different from a lot of other games in the series, but it's not a bad starting point if you want to get into the series.
... dude who cares?

If you like tactics games, Fire Emblem's likely for you.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8AJBl…

This guy explains Fire Emblem better than I could, though the romance is more or less optional though is required if you plan on recruiting every unit in Awakening and all three routes in Fates.

I recommend the English releases of the GBA games to begin with.