types of books you hate

Whether it's novels or comics or manga or if it's fiction or non fiction or the genre, what are some types of books that you hate?

Okay so I don't read a whole lot of books so some of mine are more like least favourites;

I was never into comics. Like I don't hate them, just never got into them. Not my cup of tea. I just feel like there's waaaaay too many issues like where do you even start? At least with manga I know where to start. 

Harem anime in manga form, usually where it comes from.

50 Shades of Grey type shit no wonder there's so many of them in op shops lol
Comments37
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I like to read, but I don't like it when in the book author pays too much attention to the description of nature, landscapes and the environment. I can even scroll through these moments without reading. I like more to read the dialogues of the heroes, the description of their feelings and emotions.
I don't like it when books are in first person. I was really disappointed with Ready Player One :'(

I don't like when a book starts as first person view then changes to third person view

Agreed, I just get confused and don't want to continue reading.

Play by play, scene by scene adaptations of a Hollywood movie...
I can't stand the love at first sight trope. Nothing is wrong with being attracted to a person. But when everything that comes out of the main characters mouth about how perfect, sexy and how they would die for them when they just met them 5 second ago. I will drop a book hard if I see that. Mostly happens in Fantasy and YA fiction

I like this in cartoons, not so much live action, lol.

Yeah in movies and cartoons I can kinda give it a pass because they have a limited time to show something. And the same applies to books in a sense. But I'm a sucker for the I think they're cute, let me get to know them and fall in love stories.
I hate books starring non-humanized animals (Warriors, Guardians of Ga'Hoole). 
I do not know why. Maybe because I can't associate myself with heroes
Not a fan of contemporary books. Like as a genre. There a few books that I like but in general it places too much focus on the Romance.
Which is why erotica like 50 Shades of Grey is completely out. It’s that type of stuff that you find in contemporary/romance books f taken up to 11. And adds unnecessary sex scenes.

Also books which feel as though nothing happens, particularly if the ending is left open. Usually I don’t mind open endings but yeah, those types of books can be in any genre and as such probably more of a me Thing but it’s annoying because I need to read the whole book in order to put that into perspective or in other words notice that problem.
They're like bad fanfi fiction.
I hate it when books with tragic endings are too bland and without emotion. It just feels like a disappointment. 

That being said, the first book that I wrote has this problem. Because of this, I kind of cast it aside and stopped promoting it.

When I read The Old Man and the Sea, I feel like it was a great story but something was lacking which was probably emotion. A friend of mine is writing a book with a tragic ending, and he told me he wanted to make the audience feel sad. Could it be that it's common nowadays for debut works to have an unsatisfactory tragic ending? My friend's debut comic also has a tragic ending which took me a while to understand. Once I did, I felt a bit disappointed. 

Tragic endings are hard to pull off. I enjoyed watching Hamlet, but that's probably because it's been tried and tested for centuries. 
Anything with humans. Humans are gross. Humans are the scum of the earth. Ewww. I like cats a lot better thank you, and now it sounds good to eat a dead mouse because the book made it sound so tasty
I tend not to read most ficion. Including that of YA novels.
Most of them during the 2010s seemed to follow the dystopian trend too
I have come to absolutely hate the obvious self-inserts of authors, when done in a way that looks like a day dream of a teenager with power fantasies in puberty. Or when the whole story caters to an audience that loves to do that as well. All these isekai-level999-cheat-skill-harem mangas that have been popping up in the last years are what I have in mind specifically, but I have also seen this in actual books. Especially books with teenagers as a target audience, they tend to either over power the protagonist, giving him ridiculous plot armor, while also trying to make him look imperfect so that all the "misunderstood" teens in the world can see themselves in them, and so on. I saw this in Harry Potter for instance. The author made it a point to call Harry a regular normal boy all the time, when in fact nothing was ever regular about him. And then he suddenly got rich, was famous, but still tragically misunderstood, magically talented in sports, the favourite of the teachers that matter, and somehow still part of the uncool clique. Riight.

It's all so terribly obvious and totally boring. Every teenager had always had these day dreams where they suddenly are the center of the world, and have these awesome powers and then get either all the girls or that one girl that really matters. Every teenager into games or fantasy stuff, always hade these ideas about what they would do when they would be personally in that game or this story, but with this one super cool power. It's normal, it's bland, it's common place. And I really don't need to read a story of somebody else doing the exact same thing.
We call them Mary Sues
Be it original OR fanfiction:
BAD UNFAIR ENDING for the GOOD GUY(S).
Which is also visibly ENJOYED by the freaking AUTHOR themselves.
One such currently in-my-head example being:
"That Epilogue of the Good Guy having a Good Ending? That MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be just the Good Guy's PRE-DEATH DELIRIUM."
UUUGGGHHH..!!!

Oh don't even get me started on FanFictions lol

Unnecessary sequels. 

Especially with a dumb title.

I hate the books that goes cheesy or corny or hopeless romantic or whatever it called. Then, a book with the female as the weakest creature, they're slaved or forced to do what they didn't like to and do nothing to change their life.