Details

July 31
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

types of books you hate

:iconslinkgirl95:
Slinkgirl95 Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020   Traditional Artist
Whether it's novels or comics or manga or if it's fiction or non fiction or the genre, what are some types of books that you hate?

Okay so I don't read a whole lot of books so some of mine are more like least favourites;

I was never into comics. Like I don't hate them, just never got into them. Not my cup of tea. I just feel like there's waaaaay too many issues like where do you even start? At least with manga I know where to start. 

Harem anime in manga form, usually where it comes from.

50 Shades of Grey type shit no wonder there's so many of them in op shops lol

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconredfoxbennington:
Redfoxbennington Featured By Owner 14 hours ago  Student General Artist
I tend not to read most ficion. Including that of YA novels.
:iconvonribbeck:
vonRibbeck Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist
I have come to absolutely hate the obvious self-inserts of authors, when done in a way that looks like a day dream of a teenager with power fantasies in puberty. Or when the whole story caters to an audience that loves to do that as well. All these isekai-level999-cheat-skill-harem mangas that have been popping up in the last years are what I have in mind specifically, but I have also seen this in actual books. Especially books with teenagers as a target audience, they tend to either over power the protagonist, giving him ridiculous plot armor, while also trying to make him look imperfect so that all the "misunderstood" teens in the world can see themselves in them, and so on. I saw this in Harry Potter for instance. The author made it a point to call Harry a regular normal boy all the time, when in fact nothing was ever regular about him. And then he suddenly got rich, was famous, but still tragically misunderstood, magically talented in sports, the favourite of the teachers that matter, and somehow still part of the uncool clique. Riight.

It's all so terribly obvious and totally boring. Every teenager had always had these day dreams where they suddenly are the center of the world, and have these awesome powers and then get either all the girls or that one girl that really matters. Every teenager into games or fantasy stuff, always hade these ideas about what they would do when they would be personally in that game or this story, but with this one super cool power. It's normal, it's bland, it's common place. And I really don't need to read a story of somebody else doing the exact same thing.
:iconkoshej:
Koshej Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Be it original OR fanfiction:
BAD UNFAIR ENDING for the GOOD GUY(S).
Which is also visibly ENJOYED by the freaking AUTHOR themselves.
One such currently in-my-head example being:
"That Epilogue of the Good Guy having a Good Ending? That MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be just the Good Guy's PRE-DEATH DELIRIUM."
UUUGGGHHH..!!!
Slinkgirl95 Featured By Owner 3 days ago   Traditional Artist
Oh don't even get me started on FanFictions lol
:iconcra-zshaker:
Cra-ZShaker Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
Unnecessary sequels. 
Slinkgirl95 Featured By Owner 5 days ago   Traditional Artist
Especially with a dumb title.
:iconnat214:
NaT214 Featured By Owner 6 days ago
I hate the books that goes cheesy or corny or hopeless romantic or whatever it called. Then, a book with the female as the weakest creature, they're slaved or forced to do what they didn't like to and do nothing to change their life.
:iconvee2r:
Vee2R Featured By Owner 6 days ago  New Deviant
I typically find that dystopia is incredibly predictable, which is why I did not enjoy The Hunger Games triology when it first came out, not to mention countless other stories of similar nature. Occasionally there is a plot twist, however most are very basic and you can predict the main plot points with just a quick skim.
Slinkgirl95 Featured By Owner 6 days ago   Traditional Artist
There seemed to be a trend of those dystopian books in the 2010s for teens. Didn't really care for them.
:iconvee2r:
Vee2R Featured By Owner 2 days ago  New Deviant
I agree. They weren't very good
:iconcapt-snowflake:
Capt-Snowflake Featured By Owner 6 days ago
I hate books that seem like novels, but are actually thinly veiled political screeds. The Fountainhead would be the best known example, but there's several of them out there. At least Jonathan Swift had the decency to keep A Modest Proposal as a short essay. I dislike books that deliver their climax early and the rest of the book is simply waiting out the inevitable. I've just finished 2 Sci-fi books like that; Nightfall by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg and The Forge of God by Greg Bear. I really hate non-fiction books that should have been a 10 page article, bulked up with barely related material to publish it as a book. 
:iconlionartistic:
Lionartistic Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist
I'm not into books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
:iconrosalinassoulmate:
RosalinasSoulmate Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Student Filmographer
Based on the books I read in high school, I'm gonna say any book that involves rape. None of the books I read with it were any good. It was just used as a cheap shock tactic.
:iconshewriteslovelypoems:
SheWritesLovelyPoems Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The book Lucky by Alice Sebold written in 1999 is based on a true story... The author who wrote The Lovely Bones tells of how she was raped in college, then the trial afterwards and how she overcame all that happened to her... Let me tell you after I finished reading this book I kept my legs crossed for 2 years... It really freaked me out. 
:iconrosalinassoulmate:
RosalinasSoulmate Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Student Filmographer
In the case of that book, it sounds like rape was actually important to the story, especially since it was based on a true story. In the books I read for school, it was really unnecessary. :\
Slinkgirl95 Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020   Traditional Artist
Reading books in high school was so damn boring.
:icontangiwai:
Tangiwai Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Boring books.  Good blurb, but bad writing.  I like comics, but really love boring old text in novels.  Much fun if they're really well written.  I don't mind manga if the art is clean.  But most of the manga I've seen has really nice artwork anyway.  I think it's formatting of text that can put me off in comics.  Having a whole page stuffed into one speech bubble does not look good.  Especially when there's not enough space for all the letters.

Looks untidy.

Slinkgirl95 Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020   Traditional Artist
I just have to see the superheroes in action than just an image.
Add a Comment: