how is the comic industry doing today?

with other media such as games,  movies, and series, I wonder how the comic industry is doing here, you are free to say what you want here, as long as you have some reason to say it.
Comments4
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
One of the big issues that has been going on with the comic industry, is the acquisition of the major publishers by larger media corporations (think Warner Bros., Disney, etc.) that wish to use this intellectual property for a wider array of products (TV shows, movies, toys, etc.). So creators that used to be totally in on comics are now being influenced to adapt their stories as something that can easily be modified for the screen. 

Not necessarily a bad thing, but clearly having an impact on the stories being told. The creatives who what to just produce for the comics industry are having to go it alone or are being pushed to the smaller, independent publishers, because the big guys want the talent who will do what they are told. 
I think that for graphic novels and trades(which is when all editions of a run or a series are brought into a single graphic novel form) the market is just fine. Independent creators that publish through crowdfunding seem to use exclusively that format, and is something of guaranteed return for the companies and something that doesn't hurt the stores too much to hold.
Other than that, it doesn't look like other formats for physical comics are doing to well...

Digital looks to be just something that exists. It doesn't loose anything, but it also doesn't seem to have too large of an audience, or move too much money.
It might be good to single creators, though, specially digital artists that work very frequently with commissions.
There are more comic book derived television shows and movie series than ever before. I see standing room only crowds at the two closest comic book stores near my home each weekend, but the customers look for a total pop culture experience -- trading card events, author signings, local comic artists. Around Phoenix, various groups promote so many comic and pop culture events all year long. I remember comic book stores packed from floor to ceiling with boxes of comics in the past. Now they look like mainstream book stores. 

Trading card retailers sell everything the comic book stores sells, minus the comics!

www.facebook.com/ToyTempleTCG/