Font Licensing

So, I would eventually like to start making some original webcomics/manga at some point, but I'm not entirely sure how to properly obtain a license for a font or if I even need one.  I'm specifically using CC Wild Words and (I think?) it's alright to use as long as it's for personal use (so, I'm guessing any work not posted for sale).

I would eventually like to use it for publication as well if it ever gets to that point, but where exactly would I go to obtain permission for it?  Would I need to pay a fee at certain points (ie. monthly, annually)?  o.o
Comments7
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I like to manually write the letters, that way I have absolute control over how the text looks like, it takes more time but I say it's worth it, it can give lot's of character to the text. (No pun intended.)
DarkSalsaTheComic (page 5) by StickguyPaul Dark salsa the comic (page 7) by StickguyPaul
Making your own font was a good suggestion. 

If you don't do that:

- IF you want to keep using the font that you're currently using, probably best to track down whomever owns that font and see what their specific licensing agreements are, and if need be, purchase a license. Typically you'd just need to do that once. 

- For indie creators like us, there is a good option in the form of Blambot. Nate Peikeos  (prob spelled that wrong) makes great fonts and many of them are freely available on BlamBot.com. They are free for personal use, but indie comics creators can use them pretty much however they like (even for commercial use):

"If you are an independent/small press comic creator, you may use Blambot free fonts in your comic book project--even if you are making money with your project--even if you use the fonts printed on merch in support of your comic. This is Blambot's way of supporting the independent comic community, and applies only to indie/small press comic book creators."

So that could be a good option. I've used his fonts for years. 
You can make your own font and sidestep any legal issues.  I use a custom font based on my handwriting :)  Plus I didn't have to pay anyone.  

you can see it here  H 90 by AlyssaStehle
Ha ha, yeah, I've heard of that as an option.  xDx  I never knew that you could create a custom font like that.  o.o  What program are you using and is there a good tutorial (book or video) out there for it?
I used 'calligrapher' to rough it in but then I downloaded 'FontForge' to fix it up and make it look less crazy.  

The font can be dowloaded into your computer and used across all programs like any other font.  I can use it in photoshop, word, illustrator and so on.  It's called "Alyssa" lol

It took about one evening to make.  
Wow.  That's really impressive.  Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!  I'll look into it more and see if I'm able to use it somehow.  :)  Thanks again!  :D