How much people are still interested in comic books?

This is a question that is bothering me for some time, with the advent of tv shows and video games, how much people still read comic books? are the old people who read comic books more? are the young people? I want to know.

Comments31
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I prefer reading TPB or omnibi. 

I also read most stuff that's recommended online but if it really sticks out to me and I enjoy the comic I will buy it, that's what happened with All Star Superman
They're still selling but not nearly at the same level as books, movies or video games. Only the top titles even break 100'000 in sales these days.
I still read them.
i read em online Meow :3 
n i uze printscreen La la la la 
I'm still interested but I'm not a collector, nor am I focused on Big Two of America. This past year I've looked into other titles like Monstress and lots of manga. There are other titles that interest me but they're not superhero titles. 
Honestly from what I know people do still read comics, but a lot of the sales are generated through tradeback rather then single issues.

I guess its mostly because people find getting a book containing the whole story arc to be a more feasible and a lot better read than getting each issues which are charged at a pretty high price.
I still love ro read comic =)
I still buy comic books. Right now, I've been in a drought where I havent been buying much mainstream material coz I've been concentrating on paying off bills and what little monies I do have I invest in some of fave peers Kickstarter comic projects. I'll get back to the comic store, but I'm in no rush to...I also read webcomics as well.
I do read comic books, but only ones that really interest me. The last one I read was Watchmen. 
So you read to more famous ones?
I'm not usually into superhero comics. 
I'm sorta broke, so I like to be able to read something before I actually buy it. I follow tons of webcomics, and the ones I like I buy their books (if they have any) to help support independent artists.
I bought and sold comic books online for a number of years. In the end, I kept a core collection and sold what I didn't want. My attitude to comic books is the same as video games, I'll read and play what I've got already, but I won't buy more. Growing up we never had comic book shops, but there are a couple around now. We always had anthologies from the library of more obscure titles, no Marvel or DC. I found 2000AD this way, and I bought a few collector's comics from WHSmiths in town a copuple of years back. I always thought that comic book storytelling was the future, but now alas I think it is a dying art. What with comic book movies everything has been done.
I don't understand how Archie comics are still being sold everywhere but any other kind of comic is limited to specialty stores? Back in the good ol' days, you could pick up an x-men comic at convenience stores, checkout lines at grocery stores, gift shops at hospitals and airports...etc
As for general sales of comics, it seems whenever I go to conventions or comic stores. People are either buying toys or nicnacs or checking out the latest anime. Conventions seem to be more about dressing up in costumes and meeting 2nd tier celebrities.
Slice of life type of stories are probably easier for new readers, that might be the case, and X-men has that pesky continuity
I prefer TBP for a nice gathered up and meaty book. I haven't bought any physical books in a while, even longer ago for manga but I've made a list of ones I want to buy up, while of course being price conscious about it. A new one released on Amazon for an amazing 53% off so I had to snag it, while I found a set of for $7 a piece. I'll have to check out BN and other shops as well, but I fret I won't get a deal on the manga due to age. ( T_T)

Edit: Found the set for a good deal. XD
Less people are buying single issues the conventional way but I would say as a whole people are still into comics, perhaps more than one would expect because libraries have acknowledged the existence of comics more than they did and you can find them in your average bookstore along with manga. There is also digital comics.

I mean today superhero movies and shows are everywhere eventually that would bleed into the comic book side of geek culture if someone wanted to find out more about the heroes. It did for me, although technically I started with ‘The killing joke’ and Dark Horse comics before getting obsessed with Marvel and Image.
Free comic book day has been great for discovering new series from the other minor/major publishers even though I’ve only been twice.

I think the readership is similar to video games, that is most are in there 20s and 30s. So young people in the general sense but not really. Again Free Comic Book day seems to be doing a good job in getting younger kids to read comics but it’s usually because their parents also read them.
Good question. I was going to the comic book store probably once a month before I moved states, then my interest really died off, probably due to depression, then I just didn't like how my favorite character was getting treated. Also not getting to the store surely factored in. Now that the X-Men books seem to have better writing and such, Mr. and Mrs. X is a thing and there's a Nightcrawler series coming out again, my interest is now reinvigorated! I probably won't get to the store like I'd like, but there's Ebay/Amazon/subs from Marvel. Edit: It might be for the best anyway. My old store was  a bit weird. I never understood my total when they rang me up, and one time all the contents fell out of my purse and the guy standing next to me didn't even bother to help, but he might've been shy, which I get. 

What I'd like to know is how many kids read comic books nowadays. When Superhero comics were new, I know kids were really into them. Now those kids have to be at least in their 60s, or dead I guess, and now the books all seem to carry a T rating and have mature subject matter more suited to a night time drama than an after school special. Yet despite this, people still regaurd anime, animation and comic books as "for kids" despite the majority definitely being not. Something I've always had an issue with and gotten personally effected by at times. (Thankfully, my family learned there was no changing me and just accepted how I am for the most part. No, I don't have "mature" interests, but look further and the storylines are very mature. Any more "mature" and I'd be delving into some dark crap!!) 

Anyway, there's probably a good majority of people still reading since comic shops are still in business, but like anime, I'd say it's a very "niche", relatively small knit group that isn't very mainstream since there's 5 billion comic book movies and TV shows out now and that's where most people's fandom lay who wear the shirts and stuff. (Except me, but I did get into X-Men through the movies, but it grew into comic appreciation over time. Know your roots! LOL.) 
I enjoy them when they're good, but a lot of the time you get stuck with crappy writers who have no idea how to do a character / series justice for years, really stupid events forcing a change that screws over other characters and poor attempts at appealing towards non comic readers,  so I've been very sceptical of giving newer comics, at least from the big 2, a purchase and instead just catch up on older comics I missed, which thanks to digital distribution like amazon and comixology has been MUCH easier.

I also dislike the whole "floppy" format of comics, they're harder to find here in the UK, cost a lot more due to import charges and most stories these days tend to be written with the trade paperback format in mind and are usually enhanced by fixing typos and errors.
well i think comics are going digital, even marvel publisged a digital comic recently on webtoons which has huge audience in far east so yes digital mobile apps are the future i think.
I've been following people that report on the state of the comicbook industry since late last year, and I guess is mostly older people that buy the consistently nowadays.

I think there is still an interest of younger people on comicbook, but issues like prices, availability and quality are things that get in the way.

I do, and also recommend to others, to only buy miniseries, single issues and graphic novels, as those usually give you a more concise story, more reading material and better quality, though, to be honest, I haven't bought a comicbook in a long time.
I love comics, but I usually read graphic novels or wait until they get condensed into a collection. I like having more to read, and the 22 pages a month is a little too short for me to get into the story. 

The Indie comic scene is so great right now, and I love all the online artists getting into print for the first time. I feel like a lot of the new talent is unrestricted by old characters, and they're able to explore the medium a lot more.