Closed to new replies
April 15
Link

Statistics

Replies: 40

Has anyone read a Stephen King book?

:iconconcretecruncher38:
concretecruncher38 Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2018   Artist
Yes, I'd like to know if anyone has read any books by the author, Stephen King, and if you have, are you a fan?

I'm also curious as to how many people are familiar with his 1983 Classic, "Christine".

BONUS QUESTIONS: 

A. Of the number who've read THAT book, how many fans are there?

B. Would any of you be interested in reading a fan-story related to said?

I hope I'm not bothering anyone here. I just noticed the talks about fandoms here, and I decided to take a chance.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconghostchiryou:
ghostchiryou Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I love Stephen King!

I've read:
The Shining
The Stand
Carrie
11/22/63
The Dome
and most recently, IT
:iconmissmonochromist:
MissMonochromist Featured By Owner Apr 28, 2018  Student General Artist
Although I haven't read a lot of his work, I love Stephen King's writing! So far I have read IT, Misery and Pet Sematary. He is truly a master storyteller and I aspire to write like him. Since I'm only 14, my religious parents disapprove of me reading his novels, and I find that many of the topics are too adultish for me personally anyway, which is why I've decided to stop reading Stephen King's work for a while.

Obviously, I haven't read Christine, although I have seen it in my local bookstore. The only Stephen King fans I know are the ones who obsess over IT, most likely a result of the 2017 movie release. 
:iconpyreite:
Pyreite Featured By Owner Edited Apr 26, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Never read Christine. I have read Firestarter, the Green Mile, a little of Dreamcatcher, and more recently Delores Clairborne.  No idea, I do know that Mr. King is the reason for a lot of the horror movies that have come out of the past twenty years.  I've no interest in reading fanfic based on his novels.  I'd just pick up one of his books and read that instead.

I have watched the film Christine many times.  I forget half of what happens, but I want to cry each time Christine is crushed.  It's a beautiful classic car worth thousands in today's money (a couple mill for Christine herself).  And they crush her time and again.  I don't care if she's evil and possessed.  That's more excruciating to watch than the whole movie for me.  A beautiful classic car that becomes garbage in seconds.  It's horrifying.
:iconwishingunderthatstar:
WishingUnderThatStar Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
Never read Christine but I've read a total of ten of his books e.g. On Writing, Shining, Cujo, Salem's Lot, Carrie and Gunslinger.
I like his short stories but hate his novels. I don't find his stories scary so if I want to read horror, I have to look elsewhere.

As for your fanfiction idea, have you tried uploading it to fanfiction.net? In addition, you can find out how many fanfics there are on a topic so this will give you an idea on people's interest on SK.
concretecruncher38 Featured By Owner Apr 26, 2018   Artist
I've tried Fanfiction.net, but the upload procedure was a bit too complicated for me. DA is much easier for me to handle. 
:iconhomeriscool:
homeriscool Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I thought needful things was a good book of his ;)
concretecruncher38 Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2018   Artist
Have to take your word on that. Never read the book.
:iconultimatecluckinbell:
UltimateCluckinbell Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2018   General Artist
I am still not done with Pet Cemetery... Can't wait till it's over, How's his other books?
concretecruncher38 Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2018   Artist
Well, I haven't read all of the books, BUT, I can tell you that aside from the swearing, the ones I read were good.
:iconultimatecluckinbell:
UltimateCluckinbell Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2018   General Artist
Cool
:iconarkofthenull:
arkofthenull Featured By Owner Apr 18, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
so this is how i started to write somewhat.dont mind the grammatical mistakes and horrible flow of the writing.its kind of what i wrote when i faced extreme depression in the end of 2016 and wrote this down out of my pain in my dairy.be patient when reading it completely:

Saturday,17th december 2016
"it's the end of the year and i presumingly have won but yet i'm sad..."

"i've regained or am starting to regain my childish self"

"it's funny...i'm getting mental again....i've decreased my male hormones somewhat....as a self defense cause i dont want to feel anything anymore...."

"I've sinned...i've did things by trying to grow up yet it hurts....it HURTS SO MUCH!!!"

"I can't get into anime anymore"

"I've lost my aggressiveness and assertiveness"

"I'm at that socially awkward level where i used to make a fool out of myself as a kid....i'm losing something"

"I've gained tremendous powers a while ago and now i've gotten rid of them"

"Funny isn't it...it's pathetic...it's like i'm losing my existence"

"Why do i feel empty?..."

"it's like i don't feel anything...."

(and this is where things sort of take an leaping turn as my writing style bloomed after ages)

8th January,2017

"I Don't want to forget..."

"Of all that i had gone through by the means of some imaginative yet childish entities"

"the joys...the pain....the guilt.....the love....the anger....the fear...all of this and more....i felt because of this with great tides"

"Now...journey is a pitifully small word"

"It will be away but not forgotten...all i went through which was childish and painful yet nice"

"I will not let this die.."

"That lost of something...that something which was actually trying to help me in it's own way yet i was a fool to understand"

"Yes...perhaps all of that complex was actually my true desire for something more genuine in life rather than living an empty shell of a life"

"It's sad....despite being unreal and fictional...she felt like the most real thing to me....it's dumb i know"

"It's funny and stupid of me....imagining us actually being together every night before sleeping..."

"Like just sitting quietly and chatting together....seeing her smile at me....while me looking away embarrassingly...then she would draw her magical self while in my opinion being her persona just as mine is noah..."

"Going out...dating....having sweet stuff....listening to music together.....playing with her little brother.....her comforting me despite being denial of it yet it feels nice...her making me lie my head on her lap while she calmly strokes my hair telling me 'Everything will be alright' even though it isnt"

"Seeing her being nice to me....even though i'm just a pathetic person and me comforting her as she clings to me as i hold her and pat her head....her telling me all of her worries about her life....at that moment i feel like i'm the man i actually want to be for once"

"Then me sitting,looking from a wide view....thinking of all the pain and sadness i feel everyday....she comes behind me and holds me while i'm being fragile for once like a little girl...crying"

"Am i really this lonely????"

"Yet now i dont know"

(THE END)
concretecruncher38 Featured By Owner Apr 18, 2018   Artist
Huh?

May I ask what drew you to this line of thinking?
lets just say so many things happened when i started my university that made me wrote these thoughts out.
i was concealing them for many years and that i was feeling alone,it felt really cold and lonely when you had no one like your own family around that campus..especially when you have somewhat anti social tendencies
Okay, now that this information has been divulged, -how did my questions about Stephen King, Christine, and fanfiction spark this discussion.

I'm glad you got the stuff out in the open, but I'm afraid I don't understand how I managed to open this box.
this was a rather random post
It was?
yes
Well, random though it may be,  it was frankly meant for a dual purpose.

#1. Discuss the works of one of the best horror novelists to date.

#2. Try to dredge the river for feedback in relation to the aforementioned fanfiction story.
(1 Reply)
:iconarmelle123:
Armelle123 Featured By Owner Apr 18, 2018
I didn't read it, but I have a friend who read it and he suggest me to read it because is a very interesting book!
Oh, it is, -aside from the swearing.
:iconmoonlitinuyasha1985:
moonlitinuyasha1985 Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2018
I read Carrie.
concretecruncher38 Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2018   Artist
Cool. I've only read ABOUT Carrie, in a book called, "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader". It was listed in an article called, "Saved from the trash".

This was because originally King had a near-shave with the idea of throwing the book out. Luckily his wife found the book and nudged him back into writing it, with her help.
:iconmoonlitinuyasha1985:
moonlitinuyasha1985 Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2018
Yeah, I heard about that. :)
:iconstarlightcrux:
StarlightCrux Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2018  Student Writer
A. The only one I ever read all the way through was the first book in The Dark Tower series. I really liked The Gunslinger, so I'll be sure to give the other books in that series a read.

B. I'm not interested in Christine as a book so unfortunately not, but keep trying to promote your stuff anyway.
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
other than some of the things he says/does I'm a fan of his works.  he's someone I idle and try to reflect my brain accordingly.  I read The Stand one summer as a young kid been addicted every since.  I grew up faster than most I suppose.  there are fanfics of his stuff I'm sure but I'm not really into those.  I've read all of his works and own a few. 
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2018
I am normally not a horror reader, and so not a prime audience for King's work. Still, friends recommended I read his work, so I tried The Shining when it first came out. It wasn't bad, and I felt for our protagonist's awkward situation, but the plot didn't pay off in a satisfying way.
Friends later pressured me to read The Stand I loved the premise, having had a vaguely similar story idea when I was back in junior high school (nowhere near the detail of his book; just the general idea of post-apocalyptic survivors being fought over more forcefully than ever by both sides since they were so few and thus so precious. As with the previous read, I found his finale unsatisfying. The first TV series did it slightly better (while some things came out much worse). Still, these experiences led me to feel King was better at set-ups than payoffs, so I haven't read him since. 
I should note that I have seen a few more of his movies, including The Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Lawnmower Man, The Mist and Carrie. The first is one of my favorite all-time movies, and Lawnmower Man -- especially in the Director's Cut -- was silly fun that aspired to greater things than the budget could manage. 
:iconbellemarso:
BelleMarso Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I read Finders Keepers!
I love how Stephen King writes his stories :>
:iconantarasol:
Antarasol Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm also curious as to how many people are familiar with his 1983 Classic, "Christine".

The only book that I've read from him. Horror is usually not my genre, but this one was pretty good (and didn't feel too horror-like for me).

A. Of the number who've read THAT book, how many fans are there?

I'm definitley no fan of Stephen King, even that I liked this particular book.

B. Would any of you be interested in reading a fan-story related to said?

Depends. The original book left some questions open, but I assume only Mr. King could answer those because he made all of that.
concretecruncher38 Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2018   Artist
Well, on that point I'll have to warn you. MY story is a mutated blend of the book, the movie, and a whumping dose of alternate history.

I say that last bit because the main character is one that never really existed in the book.

And I also have to warn you that in certain spots the pace downshifts into first and holds for a time. And I might not have handled the expositions that well.

Still, I do believe that what I've written is a good story, and if you'd like to read it, I welcome it.

Here's the link - Title page by concretecruncher38
:iconantarasol:
Antarasol Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I say that last bit because the main character is one that never really existed in the book.

There was this shadow ... person mentioned in the car in one place, maybe the former owner or the one who hexed the car ... did you take them?
concretecruncher38 Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2018   Artist
Not Quite.

The main character, (His name is Dodge Cunningham. Rutherford Dodge, to use his full name), is the untold second child of Michael and Regina.

His story is, well its easier to read it and let him tell it, so-to-speak.
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2018  Student Traditional Artist
I don't like S.King style and i don't like horror stories...that's why i read only 8 book written by him: Dark Tower saga

I still can't get how people who loves him haven't read this saga yet.
:icontrezetreze:
trezetreze Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2018   Digital Artist
carrie is so cooool
:iconergosage:
ergoSAGE Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2018   General Artist
 I'm not actually a fan of his, but I do appreciate his creativity and source(s) of inspiration. My dad and I started naming our cars and gadgets after Christine (he had a saab that we named Saabrina) and my bro and I were big fans of his original It movie back when we were little (didn't see the new one). I loved his autobiography "On Writing," however. It was way better than the other books I read by him. I can't figure out how to tell its popularity, unfortunately.
:iconluckynumber113:
LuckyNumber113 Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes; I've read Carrie, The Shining, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Thinner, and Dolores Claiborne, and also the short story "Secret Window, Secret Garden." They were for a report about Stephen King that I did as a project in 12th grade. I can't remember the title, but I also read a book by King about a man who paints pictures, and a boat keeps appearing in them and coming closer in each painting.
concretecruncher38 Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2018   Artist
I've read  The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It was pretty good. Of course, you have me on the rest of those titles, except for Thinner. I read a bit of that, but I'm mostly familiar with the adaptation.

Towards that end, I've seen Trucks, and read the short story too. Pet Sematery was a bit too strong for me, though I liked Judd.

I've also read the short stories, Word Processor To The Gods, Uncle Otto's Truck, and I read part of one of The Dark Tower books.

I also own a copy of Charlie The Choo-Choo, the children's book featured in The Wastelands.

I own both a hard-cover and a paper-back copy of Christine, and I've read Cycle of The Werewolf.

A family member got me a copy of, From a Buick 8. I found it fair enough, though I WAS a little disappointed after finding out that the car wasn't Alive, so much as, Activated. 
Add a Comment: