Shop Forum More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
March 12
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

Who here is a self-published cartoonist on Lulu or Amazon Kindle / Create Space??

:iconjm-manga:
JM-Manga Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018  Professional Filmographer
I am, but this is about the rest of you. 

If you're publishing books and comics and manga, plug them here!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

JM-Manga Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2018  Professional Filmographer
Would anyone like to help me start a otaku and cartoonist Amazon self-publishing club or group on DeviantArt? Note me or send me a message if you're interested...!
A there any community for self-publishing and ebooks yet? Like Groups, or forums, or websites and books?

It's been a long time since I've sought any community or books on self-publishing. When I started publishing there was no E.L. James. 

Just Jeff Smith, Rob Schrab, and Dave Sim and like 2-5 other black and white cartoonists.
JM-Manga Featured By Owner Edited Mar 19, 2018  Professional Filmographer
Just remember, printing and publishing is an art form, too, kind of like animation, or business start-ups, except it takes fewer resources.
:iconbolandartstudio:
BolandArtStudio Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
If you want a comic book type feel, Ka-blam is great! I love the way their printing turns out. Plus my comiccon is a unusual size at 8.5X11 and they are set up to be able to print that. I have used Lulu before and found it was very expensive if you are interested in color. Hope this helps. 
:iconlstjules:
lstjules Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
I've seen quite a few artists use Ka-Blam for their comics. They do have really nice printing quality. My friend got hers printed there last year and it really turned out great. I'm going to be using them next year (because I need to change printers). However, this year I'm simply going UPS store because I won't have enough time with shipping before the convention.
Oh wait! I remember Kablam. I stopped using them because didn't they close down their website at one point? 

I had no idea they were still open! I've used them! I knew that name sounded familiar!

Now that they're open again, I'll have to check them out.

Their printing style is very comic-book-ish.

If you want to print a straight-up comic book and less book-book or manga book, yes, ka-blam is definitely an option!

With Kablam, the interior page printing style is more conducive to color comics printing

Color comics - Ka-Blam
Indie Comics, or manga, I'd recommend Lulu, or maybe Create Space.

I tend to use lulu the most. i write a lot of non-fiction literature and I find lulu is the most suited for pulpish books, like a Cerebus or a Bone by Jeff Smith.

If you're doing something like Marvel or DC, or Image, by all means, use Ka-blam.

There's quite a few print on demand self-publishing, and self-printing options there: But the best ones are Lulu, Kindle, CreateSpace, and Kablam

The only thing you should have to pay for is printed copies of your book, Never go with a printing press that charges up front fees, that means they're scamming you. None of the printers mentioned in this thread do that.
:iconlstjules:
lstjules Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
I have a colour comic like Marvel or DC. Style is super different, but same concept. I've been using Print Three in town for the past two years and I loved them. But, I moved so I had to switch it up. I just need a few copies for the convention and my order will be done really late, so I can't do Ka-Blam, but for next year... definitely. 
:iconbolandartstudio:
BolandArtStudio Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
You can also send them a zipped file of your pictures instead of a PDF which I found super helpful. 
:iconsamy-consu:
Samy-Consu Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
hi, our artistic duo would like self-publishing but we do not know which site is better between Lulu, You can print, Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) and CreateSpace. We have always found contrasting opinions on the web.
Can you give a suggestion?
I can give plenty of suggestions. I've used all three numerous times.

In terms of retail, Amazon and Createspace have a much higher sell through ratio than Lulu. But all you have to do is get your lulu books listed on Amazon by buying a "Proof copy", which is what it costs to expand distribution from just Lulu to Lulu, and Amazon stores.

Just note me if you have any questions about self-publishing you'd like to ask me, like anything specific about the printing or publishing process. I've self-published dozens and dozens of books since 2012 at least.
:iconsamy-consu:
Samy-Consu Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2018
so is it possible to sell Lulu books on Amazon?

is there another thing that some self-publishing sites require a lot of money to have even one copy only.

Thank you. You are kind.
could I write you a message in note?
Of course, it's possible. It's actually quite easy once you figure out how.

I must admit though, Lulu has a weird distribution policy. Lulu lets authors distribute any book on Amazon, but they sometimes (or they did I haven't seen this appear lately) make you purchase 1 proof copy of a book in order for it to be distributed in print on Amazon and other stores, like Barnes & Noble .com

There's a distribution button with an arrow icon on your Lulu dashboard. Click on the Distribution button, look for the phrase "GlobalReach". You can probably google "Globalreach Lulu Publishing" to find out more

Once you reach the distribution global reach menu, just click "Approve," then once that goes through, wait for 1-3 months for everything to be approved, then you'll eventually see your book listed on Amazon

Hey, being kind to people is what I do.

Absolutely! Note me as much as you prefer. Send as many or as few notes as you'd like. I actually sometimes wish I'd  get more notes. It's fun responding to them. Looking forward to hearing from you.
:iconnighteba:
Nighteba Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'd like to try this adventure soon, but I still don't know how it works, soooo TBD!
JM-Manga Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018  Professional Filmographer
I'm sure there are some how-to books out there for ebooks and self-publishing literature you could research if you're interested...
:iconvalchaon:
ValChaon Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
someday.
:iconn1ghtmar37:
n1ghtmar37 Featured By Owner Edited Mar 12, 2018
i self publish on here and a  few others sites, i probably should try out those
JM-Manga Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018  Professional Filmographer
Honestly, I was hoping and expecting to get a larger volume of responses than this. I'm surprised not more people on DevArt aren't self-publishing. 

I mean plenty of the artwork published on DevArt is good enough to be print or ebook published. It's not THAT hard to do (ebooks, self-published print books), is it? I know WXY Zell, Raynart, and LeSean Thomas got into self-publishing, but that's about all I can think of.

It's lonely at the top (sob, sniff*)
:iconn1ghtmar37:
n1ghtmar37 Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018
beware it will be getting crowded soon :P
JM-Manga Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018  Professional Filmographer
Uh oh...
Add a Comment: