Looking for artist buddies/ friends to geek out about art with.

Hi, I'm Echo! I've been on this site for about 7 or so years now. -- I'm looking for a few artist friends/buddies to share my love for art with. I'm really passionate about it. I love watching artist youtubers, writing about it, sharing it, reading news about it and love being supportive to other artists. -- especially my friends! 

I've been feeling sort of lonely about it lately though. Art is mostly an individual type thing, but I would love to be able to talk to some people about the type of art I love.  music that inspires art, comics/manga, video games, movies, ect --  everything related to it and it's many different media forms. 

I know I won't be able to find an "Art buddy/friend" right away, but I've never had an exclusive art friend(s) -- I've always been the artist friend in my group and I want to talk to more like-minded people. People who might potentially have the same type of "ah-ha!" moments when I, or they cross a new thresh-hold in their artistic skills. 

So, here's a little about me and what I'm looking for!

I'm a metalhead, I love horror. Really love death metal, grindcore, and just the really rough stuff, I also like the progressive metal stuff and feel metal really helps me with doing artwork.  I also listen to vaporware music and a lot of anime J-pop type songs. Music, in general, is just really important to me, I have a playlist on Spotify for all types of moods and genres and I'm always making more!

I'm mostly a digital artist, I use a 10-year-old Wacom tablet and my software of choice is Clip studio paint. Which I am ALWAYS reading up about new ways to use the software and features, I try to keep up with update features and want to learn how to make comprehensive brushes on my own, one of these days. -- I try to draw regularly, especially since I have a patreon account. I'm always trying to "practice" and discover faster workflows. 

I also run a few Facebook groups relating to art and the fandoms I'm apart of. I'm currently hugely apart of the Final fantasy 15 community. My old group and I actually sent birthday cards to Ray chase ( the voice actor of Noctis ) and he put the cards on his mantle! I'm not apart of many fandoms, but the ones I am, I'm all in. -- I'm also a really big gamer. I have about 11 systems, not including the rig I built, and I'm really into RPG's. Especially JRPG's. 

I'm not as big of a manga reader as I use to be. But love Mangas like: Gantz, beserk, Wolf-guy: wolven crest, Junji ito works, ect. Mostly for how awesome these mangakas artwork is. I feel like I can learn a lot reading them and examine their works. I love getting " The art of" type books because they really allow you to see details, you otherwise wouldn't notice in a compressed piece. -- I do occasionally read Yaoi and yuri manga as well, but I wouldn't call myself a Fudoshi/fudanshi -- I do ship a lot of characters together often times, regardless of their gender. But I'm in the LGBT+ community, so it just sort of happens, often times. XD

Whew! -- That was a lot. Sorry for the overload but thought this information may be helpful in finding more like-minded artist friends. -- I really want to find some people who are super passionate about artwork. I don't really check my Deviant messages often, so if after we feel we have stuff in common, I would like to mainly communicate from discord, preferably.

I would also prefer if it was peeps in their 20's, like I am. And are a similar skill level in art as me, as well. So we can have more of an even playing field and better easily help one another when it comes to art and be able to give equal give and take. 

My DA doesn't really have a lot of updated stuff of my art, but here's my Tumblr blog with more current WIP work: echo2themoon-art-nook.tumblr.c…

Oh, and I actually draw quite a bit of NSFW, ( in regards to nudity, manga-style ntsfw ) so it be nice if one was ok that type of stuff! 

Sorry for making this so long, I can't wait to start getting to know you all! 
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Comment Flagged as Spam
Heya Echo o/  's quite a text wall you put up there haha.

I personally tend to listen to songs (of varying kind) while making my art, or songs that I listen to randomly inspire me to make something cx This does also include metal, and as of late its mostly been Sabaton and the BSG soundtrack.  Although my art differs greatly in style from yours, I still like the stuff you put up ^-^

(yeah I've been going through your gallery.. *whistles*)

Although I never really got into reading mangas I do still like the art that comes out of em. Guess I'm just too busy with other stuffs most of the time.  So yeah.. for advice on your art I would go for someone else as 3D posing art and 2D-ish digital art is too different from each other to be comparable.  Either way, nice getting to meet ya! :hug:

~Lucy

(oh and I forgot to say, 'm 21, turning 22 in a couple months. Yay adulthood...)
yeah, hehe. I tend to write a lot. -- I listen to a lot of varying types of music, too. lol. Good stuff though, music is really helpful for helping a piece come together. 

My Gallery on DA is pretty bad, I have a lot of works I haven't posted yet. Most of the other works now are either old or just quick speed painting type stuff. Ahaha, need to really update my gallery. XD

That's fine. Art is art still in a lot of ways, long as the passion is there, I don't mind it some much of talking to people from different medias. :)
Hi Echo! nice to meet you!
Hello, nice to meet you!
I also love metal music - but I'll keep it av heavy, power and symphonic. Black metal and death metal is a bit too much for me. Else I listen to a lot of other things as well, ranging from ABBA to Imagine Dragons to Icelanding Riding Songs (yep. Those who look at my playlists might be confused.)
I have not grown up with anime and manga - there was little of it in Norway when I was younger :-( When I look at all the people who are into it here on dA, I feel like I've missed something.
I'm into traditional art, and I have almost no experience with digital. I won't be much use discussing programs or techniques there :-( But the basics are still the same. I'm into photorealism, though.
Nice to meet you! I really like your art! :D

Yeah, I have all sorts of playlist, people are always lost when they look at them because they're all over the place in terms of genres and sub-genres. :) 
Thank you! :-)
I have playlists called "my music" which is like everything I liked up to 2016, "rart" (meaning "strange") for other types of music - but which is now just a crazy list of everything and then some more, "Metallica"  - no need to explain that one -, "best", and like ten more which are either albums or collections of music. And the more time, the more complicated it gets. But as long as I have control, everything's fine :-)
Hey I'm Nettie, 21, nice to meet you!
I have the same problem where I've always been labelled the "art friend" in a group and so I get how annoying it can be to not have others geek out over art with you. It's one of the reasons I joined deviantart, to find other art friends.
I too love metal music but I've lost touch with that part of my music taste recently - got into kpop and more indie types but I still listen to metal when I study. It baffles most because they have no clue how it helps me study but it does.
Due to being in uni I barely have time to read manga or watch anime but I love mangas like Samurai Deeper Kyo, where you can almost see the movement in the images. I also enjoy reading mangas with different styles because I can see how they draw their characters and backgrounds which gives me good tips to practice for my own art. Never really go into Yuri or Yaoi, but I enjoy reading them occasionally.
Sorry for the longish message, you seem like a interesting person from your post so just thought I'd say hi and if you ever want to talk just leave a message Blush 
Hello, Nettie! -- Thanks for replying!

Same here with the metal part. It's just really good for focusing on something. Or calming me down. If I'm angry, sad or upset, I'll listen to some metal and It'll help me stabilize myself. Heh.

I have the anime samurai deeper kyo and the GBA that came along with it, but I've never have read the manga before. I should look into that!

I checked your art and it's really nice! What's your favorite process about art? Mine is probably inking. :)
Finally someone who gets that metal does help concentration or that it is calming :happybounce:  how can you stay mad when your music is letting all the anger out for you?

I tried to watch the anime for samurai deeper kyo but it was never as good as the manga and they changed a lot of details about the story so I never finished it, I highly recommend the manga. Another artist who's art style I loooove is Hikawa Kyouko, plus I find her mangas interesting, I own her series Kanata Kara and I've read most of her other works.

And thanks, I like how you do shading in your pieces. My favourite part of the art process is probably adding in detail after I've drawn the initial sketch. It can get tedious but I feel so accomplished when it's finished.
I see. That's the part I dread the most because I just want it to be over with at that point. I don't have a lot of patience. Lol. Been working on this one piece a while now and I'm adding final details and I'm just like, " be done already!" The entire time on working on it. XD
Ahhhh I'm so sorry for this late reply. I spent the three day weekend up a mountain with no internet with friends and the rest of the week I've been so busy trying to pack up the house and start my summer classes I haven't checked DA at all. Moving is the actual worst I hate it with everything that I have.

Yeah I get you, details can get really tedious so I have a love-hate relationship with them. I'm working on a watercolour piece right now and just drawing the initial picture so I can paint gets bothersome. I get impatient and just want to start painting Painter