Details

Closed to new replies
February 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 742

Cut down on cyberbullying and trolling by allowing the blocking of profile comments!

:iconyamino:
Yamino Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Recently I've been the target of a massive spam/cyber bullying attack, and all of this could have been prevented if dA would just allow me to block comments on my profile. I went from an average of 600-1000 views a day to 32,000, and every five minutes new hate messages were popping up.

This is totally unacceptable, Deviantart needs to do their part in preventing this from happening. Why is such a basic feature as profile comment blocking not implemented? Don't they realize what a harmful potential it has for victims of spam attacks and harassment? And don't get me started on the 300 user block limit. People are just making new accounts specifically to harass me. What am I supposed to do when I can't block them any more?

It would be great to allow a user to fully delete comments too, because otherwise I have a whole wall marked as "spam" and it's just a real eyesore.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaerilia:
Aerilia Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I want to disable profile comments because I'm sick of people thanking me for faves and llamas even though it's in my signature and my about me that I clearly do not want to be thanked. I'm not going to stop adding people's work to my favourites just so people don't comment, I just want to block all comments from my userpage comments section because I've had enough of " thanx 4 fave/llama/comment".
:iconthedeathofalibi:
TheDeathOfAlibi Featured By Owner Apr 14, 2012  Professional Writer
I am confused as to why she is receiving hate comments?
:iconlurkingmoron:
lurkingmoron Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2012
In a nutshell, she posted an unpopular opinion about a fanon background MLP character nearly a year ago since she agreed with her disabled friends and family that said fanon depiction was hurtful to them. The MLP staff, after endless nagging and begging, made the fanon depiction of the character temporarily canon when they gave her a destructive speaking role in the actual show.

A week later the production removed the episode from itunes and the bronies flipped their lid, pointed the finger at Yamino and launched a bully campaign from the depths of 4chan, poniboru, and equestria daily. Sock puppet accounts spammed the hell out of her profile with vile, hateful comments and death threats.

The episode was later edited, scaling back the depiction of the character, and reuploaded to itunes. What did the OP have to do with this? Nothing. She never had contact with the studio, started a petition or even signed a petition to change the character. Scapegoating 101.
:iconthedeathofalibi:
TheDeathOfAlibi Featured By Owner Apr 18, 2012  Professional Writer
SO it sounds like people overreacted and blamed the closest person they could without listening to the full story. . . Wow. Well this a new for me, fighting over MLP.
lurkingmoron Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2012
Even worse though, is that the attacks continued even after a show animator and the writer of the episode in question have posted about the editing of the episode. They specifically said the OP had nothing to do with the pulling of the episode and the ensuing changes. Go figure.
:iconchosmos:
Chosmos Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012  Student Interface Designer
I'm too :/
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2012
Hi. It is a shame that you have been attacked and unlike some smart people on here I won't criticize you for having the gall to feel something about it. It is well within your right. Also I think there may be something in this idea.
But your 32,000... I looked at your profile and the most you've got is 2,225 views in a day and that was on Mar 17. Also I don't see what you'd describe as a massive attack. These spammed comments seem to be around 29-30 March. So you have overstated the problem a bit which is a pity since the idea works just as nicely with the situation as it is.
lurkingmoron Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2012
I had an eye on her profile those couple days during the attack. Every minute or so I would refresh and 5 new pages of threats and attacks would appear. 4chan, ponychan, and equestria daily all directed the attack on the profile. I have never seen anything like it on deviantart ever. EVER.

That is massive. Keep in mind when this forum topic was created: The Monday after the attack, nearly a month ago.
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Apr 4, 2012
OK. I think these people are strange. I thought this MLP rubbish was about peace and harmony and accepting others. Kinda ironic that they don't act as such.
:icondraze:
draze Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2012   Traditional Artist
You get more attention in a day than ive had in the entire 9 year span of time ive been here... times two.

and you still think you are a victim of bullying? Im sorry, but with the freedom you have on the internet, and the options of hiding posts, you need to be more proactive in your own protection.

If it's a huge problem, log off dA.
lurkingmoron Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2012
How empathic of you. :(
draze Featured By Owner Apr 4, 2012   Traditional Artist
I dont believe in helping people unwilling to help themselves.
:iconllirbwerdnadivad:
llirbwerdnadivad Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2012
Um...how is posting this suggestion in an attempt at preventing such a thing from ever happening to anyone ever again on DeviantART categorized as 'unwilling to help themselves'?
draze Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2012   Traditional Artist
there are methods in place to stop people from bothering you. in response to these methods, the OP doesnt feel they need to use them. These methods are blocking another deviant, removing the comment option, and leaving dA.

dA is not required to do anything, as it is not forced on anyone to be a member of the community. If the community is harrassing you by the thousands, as claimed by the OP, then you leave the community.
llirbwerdnadivad Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2012
Those options were addressed elsewhere in this topic, including in the original post.

When a user is blocked, they can just make a new account to continue harassing their target. On top of that, there is a limit to how many users you can block, and you will run out if they keep making more accounts. This was already stated by the OP.

Adding the option to remove commenting is what the OP was initially suggesting. Either the option is not there, or the OP did not see it and nobody pointed it out to him/her.

Leaving dA is essentially 'running away from your troubles'. If everyone who was harassed left, then dA, as well as many other sites, would become significantly less active. Here, the OP is attempting to suggest an option that will make it easier to stop harassment without leaving the site.

From my personal perspective, it looks to me like you didn't fully read the comment that started this topic. You are arguing things that have already been answered.
draze Featured By Owner Apr 18, 2012   Traditional Artist
No, I read and understood the issue. you can remove comments. you can block people. you can leave the site.

dA is not the be all/end all for internet popularity. This site is not needed if all it give someone is greif. And it's not "running away." That's stupid. if you were standing under a fan getting smacked by the rotating peices of wood, would you stand there and ask the fan to stop hitting you or would you move?

nothing on dA is so exclusive to dA that you must remain here at all costs.
llirbwerdnadivad Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2012
There are, however, downsides to removing comments, blocking people, and leaving the site. Blocking has a limit that the people being blocked can get past, rendering it ineffective. Removing comments can do more harm than good, as it leaves a bad impression on those who look at the page. If person A looks at person B and sees that person B has 'This comment has been removed' over and over, person A is likely to jump to a negative conclusion about person B. As for leaving dA...

While leaving this website would stop attacks from this website, it would not prevent potential attacks on other sites. On top of that, who said that this website was giving her nothing but grief? She has friends here, and chances are that some of them don't have any other way of communicating with her. There are many people who refuse to make an account on a different website, download Skype, share email, etc. Leaving the website would not only be letting bullies walk over you, it would be leaving behind friends and watchers. A new account could be made, but that would be erasing a slate that is more than half a decade in the making. If she were to tell others about the new account being the same person, then that information would get out one way or another and people would flock to the new account to continue their work.

The fan metaphor is a bad example, as fans usually do not decide whether or not they are moving. People on dA decide what they do, and they, unlike a wooden fan, would chase you. If the fan somehow followed your every move, and you kept getting out of the way, you would get tired eventually, but the fan would keep going.

Nothing on dA is that exclusive to dA? That is a matter of opinion. dA has things that other sites don't have, definitely...said things are of different levels of importance to different people. What you might not consider important might be treasured by someone else.

I will rephrase my original question, if she uses said methods of stopping others from bothering you to their limits, and they don't solve the problem, how is that 'not helping herself'? The methods available didn't work, so she suggested a new one that has the potential to be more effective.
(1 Reply)
:iconhufflepuffbadger1978:
HufflepuffBadger1978 Featured By Owner Mar 29, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Hate to say this, but if the new copyright laws pass, Deviantart is going to have to keep the trolls around.
:iconkennex-the-fox:
Kennex-The-Fox Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What new copyright laws? :ohnoes:
:iconhufflepuffbadger1978:
HufflepuffBadger1978 Featured By Owner Apr 15, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
SOPA.
SOPA was pulled a while ago...
:iconkennex-the-fox:
Kennex-The-Fox Featured By Owner Apr 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh god no. Why the hell would the US let this pass?!
llirbwerdnadivad Featured By Owner Apr 21, 2012
Because pirating costs many people a lot of money, and many have lost their jobs due to it.

That said, SOPA was pulled quite a while ago. Since then, PIPA and ACTA, among others, have come around.
:iconsplittercore:
Splittercore Featured By Owner Mar 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You are just as pathetic as the bronies are.
So says the person who thinks that everything they don't like is related to sexual preferences.
:iconelecxra:
elecxra Featured By Owner Apr 2, 2012  Student Digital Artist
It doesn't mean she deserves you be attacked like this.
:iconasspie-smasher:
Asspie-Smasher Featured By Owner Mar 28, 2012
Well said.
:iconinsan-kun:
Insan-Kun Featured By Owner Mar 24, 2012
A troll's job is to simply annoy the living shit out of anything it can. It will focus on those who have the most reaction. The best way to avoid this is to keep you head down and ignore the insufferable pricks. There are still people who truly enjoy your art and don't let these idiots ruin your fun.
:iconnearlight:
Nearlight Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think the effects of blocking should be completely increased, and other privacy issues should be addressed as well!

I have a few deviations that are about my bad break-up with my recent ex. Her psychotic new boyfriend registered just yesterday to read everything I wrote and spam me with degrading comments, then he messaged me a threat along with a detailed summary of how well he's %*$&ing my ex. I reported his page, but that won't stop him from registering again to leave more hateful messages. I know who he is and am physically requesting a protection order against him in person, but I don't like the fact that he can read anything I have. I also don't like that my ex is reading everything I have as well.

I feel like I should be able to block them so they cannot see ANYTHING on my page, or any of my posts. I also feel like I should be able to make certain deviations private to non-registered members. I'm being cyber-bullied as well, and I really don't like it.
:icondarkanddefiant:
darkanddefiant Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2012
dear god what have i missed? :stare:
:iconmissleepify:
Missleepify Featured By Owner Apr 2, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I wanna know it too :stare: Did you bother to figure it out?
:iconcherryorchid:
CherryOrchid Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2012
It's like a daycare in here. :stare:
:iconmissleepify:
Missleepify Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
WOOO DAYCARES! :la:
:iconjumpsl:
jumpsl Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2012  Professional Filmographer
If your a cyber bully your a pussy... stop hiding behind a screen ya douche, Ya know what all bullies period are douches... that is all!!
:iconmeowlotovv:
Meowlotovv Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
One more thing I might add.

I agree with Yamino on the idea of disabling page comments, I have several friends that go through and remove all of the comments because they just plainly don't like them on their page.

I wouldn't want a "comments disabled" label on the bottom of my page though, so maybe the widget could just be removable.
:iconmitochondria-raine:
Mitochondria-Raine Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2012
God, what a shitstorm! :stare:
I know right?
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2012
I now can't take this suggestion seriously anymore. It'll be a huge waste of both your time and dA's time.
Seriously.
What the fuck did i walk into?
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2012
A CLUSTERFUCK OF HELL!! RUN!!!!
:nuu:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Apr 3, 2012
You're no running fast enough!
:iconkidd-breon:
Kidd-Breon Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2012
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I do see how this could be exploited, but I feel that the benefits outweigh the risks. Nobody should have to go through what Yamino is going through.
Meowlotovv Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Why can't people just leave something they don't like alone.

Don't like Derpy?
Leave her alone
Don't like "killing" Derpy?
Leave it alone
Don't like MLP?
Leave it alone.
Don't like Homestuck?
Leave it alone.
Don't like Sonic?
Leave it alone.

You get the idea.

I'm gonna laugh if someone says "Welcome to the internet." or some shit like that in reply to this comment.
:iconno-fawks-given:
No-Fawks-Given Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Do I really need to say it?

:icontrollfaceplz:
Meowlotovv Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Maybe, maybe not.
:icondistrictanne:
DistrictAnne Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2012
Welcome to the internet :lol:
Meowlotovv Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2012  Hobbyist Artist