Closed to new replies
May 6, 2009
Link

Statistics

Replies: 46

dA APIs. A possible IM App protocol?

:iconmauricioestrella:
mauricioestrella Featured By Owner May 6, 2009  Professional Interface Designer
I've been wandering for a long time about this, since I'm pretty sure the backend of deviantART can has a lot powerful capabilities that could be used through APIs.

Recently I've uploaded a concept IM App that would make use of those "suggested" APIs. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this matter, and please take a look at my concept design.

The deviation can be seen here: [link]

Thanks for your time! And let's hope to hear good feedback from this, and who knows? Maybe one day this idea might turn into a real thing. That would be wicked awesome :#1:

Cheers,
-M

Devious Comments

:iconkit-y:
kit-y Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2009
Necro'd thread =) :lock:
:iconmegajosh2:
megajosh2 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2009
The closest thing to a deviantART API available is DiFi, but there's absolutely no official documentation. The messenger is already completely possible if you use dAmn to do it. There's no need whatsoever for a completely separate messenger protocol.
:iconspartan-563:
SPARTAN-563 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2009
Well I have started working on an Instant Messenger, its based on the MXit protocol (www.mxitlifestyle.com) and this concept is one of the main ideas that I am basing my UI on. Some early dev screen shots may be available on my profile in the next few days.

If anyone has suggestions regarding it I would be honoured to hear them :)

More info is available at [link]
:iconkit-y:
kit-y Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2009
Please do not revive threads that have been inactive for months. =)
You would save yourself a lot of work if you used dAmn (if you're looking to make a dA-related messenger).
:iconeldris:
eldris Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2009  Professional Artisan Crafter
Dude, don't drag up old threads.
:iconsynith:
Synith Featured By Owner Aug 18, 2009
Uh... [link]
:iconkkart:
kkart Featured By Owner Aug 17, 2009  Professional Photographer
You should submit this to the #creative group
:iconoh-blue-eyes:
Oh-Blue-Eyes Featured By Owner Aug 17, 2009  Hobbyist Interface Designer
what about a script to adium (mac users) to connect to deviant so you can see friends online there?
:icondragonboyxtra:
DragonBoyXtra Featured By Owner Jun 27, 2009
Amazing Idea :wow:
:iconsrgb:
sRGB Featured By Owner May 9, 2009
i love the whole idea, is an another step to dA's world domination(AND I'M SURE THEY THINK ABOUT THAT), i hope that guy's won't loose the moment and will do what they must do..
damn i wish i had more free time.
:iconfurawatchi23:
furawatchi23 Featured By Owner May 8, 2009   General Artist
That concept = amazing.

The design is so sleek and smooth! Well done!
:icondouglaseltz:
DouglasEltz Featured By Owner May 8, 2009
Great Idea
:iconnivunation:
Nivunation Featured By Owner May 8, 2009
This seems to me to be just a more private version of chatrooms. Like a tiny, little chatroom with one other person that you don't have to block everyone else from.

But aren't regular I-M services such as AIM easier than this? They are for me. MSN and Yahoo are basically interchangeable now ("some features unavailable" they say) so I was able to have just one of those, and there are a couple others, like Pidgin, that allow you to import any buddy list from any I-M service by simply typing in your username/e-mail address and talk to everyone on those lists simultaneously without having to have oodles of accounts.

Not saying this is a bad idea, as there are some people who don't have I-M services and cannot get them for whatever reason, so this would be beneficial to them and their friends here on dA. I'm just saying that it seems a smidgeon redundant to me with how many other exactly alike options there are out there.
:iconbrennennn:
brennennn Featured By Owner May 7, 2009
This would be amazingly awesome fo' sho'.
:iconharajukudarkangel:
harajukudarkangel Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Hobbyist General Artist
I've been dreaming of this!!!
looks totally cool!
:iconhikarusind0:
Hikarusind0 Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Hobbyist General Artist
that would b awesome if they actually made this. but i think there should be a tab for yur friends list and ppl yur watching too...

just an idea tho =D
:iconjosephhaubert:
josephhaubert Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Professional Photographer
This would be awesome to have on DA.
:iconnokadota:
Nokadota Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Professional General Artist
I already said this on you deviation, but it would be pretty awesome if this was coded with Adobe AIR. With experienced programmers [obviously], I'm sure this could be completed in no time. Excellent concept and the critique by KriGH was spot on.
:icondanand92:
danand92 Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Student Digital Artist
we really need that! Good luck in getting it up and running.
:iconwebscum:
WebScUm Featured By Owner May 7, 2009
mmmm good!
:iconmojomann:
mojomann Featured By Owner May 7, 2009
You could bypass the whole AIM account and simply piggyback on the notes or chat from within DA and build a stand alone desktop app. This could be built pretty easy in Flash & Flex. That said, I would love to see a DA app for the iPhone/iTouch. There already is a mobile 'sniff' set up on DA to detect if you are coming from a mobile device. Porting the content to run in a iPhone app would be relatively easy. I already have a Facebook app on my iPhone and it rocks.
:iconkovowolf:
KovoWolf Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Professional Digital Artist
I think this would be an awesome concept *smile* It would be a great alternative to getting on dAMN chat. Also, it would be sweet if this could become a phone app too, so messages could be checked while on your mobile ( other then the iphone, because not everyone can afford it :P )

The only thing I would see being a minor set back is your friends list. I don't think I'd want my watchers to automatically be able to see me online ;) If they're not on my friends list, I may not want to communicate with everyone on my lists lol. ( Unless this has already been thought out )
:iconexsecror:
exsecror Featured By Owner May 7, 2009
Uh messages can be checked on phones other than the iphone. If you have a data plan and a web capable phone you can use dA mobile. I do it all the time on both my blackberry phones.
:iconkovowolf:
KovoWolf Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Professional Digital Artist
Aye, I know
:iconsilverskullguy:
Silverskullguy Featured By Owner May 7, 2009
Yes, this is the one thing i think DA needs the most
:iconlotring:
lotring Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Professional Photographer
It's so awesome!
:icongoldensundragon:
GoldenSunDragon Featured By Owner May 7, 2009
Keep on!
:icontharglet:
tharglet Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Would be nice if they improved dAmn, which would negate the need for an IM app imo. If they fixed privchats to send a message to the other member of the chat (eg a "join success" message, then the chat message if member is not present).

Would like to see an improvements on the tab switching too - always feels kinda slow to go from tab to tab, which is why I end up using my bot interface half the time >.>.
~plaguethenet says that closing tabs also leaves some garbage behind. I think the tabs just suck all around.
While I agree that an API is nice (though it has already been said it will be a long time till that and I'm not really holding my breath). I still see no logic in an IM service when there's Notes and dAmn (and pchat inside that) along with the fact most if not all all deviants have at least 2 or more IM services already.
:iconsapphiretiger:
sapphiretiger Featured By Owner Aug 17, 2009
Finally, some logic there. There's already tons of competing IM services, why add one more proprietary one for someone to have to install?
exsecror Featured By Owner Aug 17, 2009
I don't know, some people don't simply understand I guess
:icontheshadowstorm:
theshadowstorm Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Hobbyist Writer
"if not all all deviants have at least 2 or more IM services already." And yet that doesn't stop users from installing more. I've lost count how many times I've serviced computers with three, four instant messaging programs.
I still don't see the necessary need for it when dA already offers communication services. It would just further bog down the network.
:iconddrago:
DDrAgO Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Hobbyist Interface Designer
great idea
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Professional Interface Designer
This has been discussed many many times. dA is not going to provide an API for a long time. I also believe they're working on their own IM app already, last I heard.
brennennn Featured By Owner May 7, 2009
Where'd you hear that? I'm interested! :ohnoes:
nokari Featured By Owner May 8, 2009  Professional Interface Designer
It was either this forum or one of the staff. I forget :slow:, but I know I read it.
brennennn Featured By Owner May 8, 2009
lol - well that's exciting! :)
lulz double post
nokari Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Professional Interface Designer
This has been discussed many many times. dA is not going to provide an API for a long time. I also believe they're working on their own IM app already, last I heard.
:iconkaiohan:
Kaiohan Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Student Photographer
wonderful smooth design.. :D next is a dAos? :D
:iconxxxfanta:
XxXFaNtA Featured By Owner May 7, 2009
Looks great!
Hopefully this will become true ;)
:iconpablo12288:
pablo12288 Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Hobbyist Photographer
I would definitely enjoy this app. It would be quite the operation, though.
:icondrugi:
Drugi Featured By Owner May 7, 2009  Hobbyist Photographer
This looks soo sweet bro :)
Add a Comment: