Closed to new replies
December 31, 2005
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

Free Copyright Licenses for those of you worried about your work being stolen

:iconqoucher:
qoucher Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2005  Hobbyist Photographer
I was just introduced to this today, so if I get some info wrong and it isn't all of what I thought it to be, sorry. But, from what I understand, a company called Creative Commons offers free tools for having a copyright license on your work. I hear it quite a bit about work being stolen and DA having all sorts of problems and what-not, so maybe this just might help it.

A link to the site: [link]

Devious Comments

:iconelectricjonny:
electricjonny Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2008  Hobbyist Photographer
Necro thread.

:lock:
:iconnavagon:
Navagon Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2008
Creative commons isn't the same thing as copyright. Copyright stops people using your work in any one way shape or form without permission. Creative commons gives away those rights for certain uses, or even completely.

So it's practically the opposite.
:iconoddballoffun:
oddballoffun Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2008  Professional Artist
My work is copyrighted as soon as I make it. It's not the lack of copyright that allows people to steal art and claim it as their own, it's the fact they they either don't understand what copyright is in the first place, or they just don't care.
People who steal another persons work and try to take credit for it, or make money out of it are lecherous scum.
:icongrrlinthecorner:
GrrlintheCorner Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2008   Photographer
Copyright is free. In my country, I automatically own every right to every single photographic image I take.
Putting a watermark or some sort of copyright symbol just makes it obvious that the work is yours - but legally, it is already yours - completely.
:iconthe-fierce-deity:
The-Fierce-Deity Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2008
I thought Creative Commons was already built in to DA.
qoucher Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2008  Hobbyist Photographer
I made this thread before dA started using CC, I dunno why people found it again.
:iconme-pawel:
me-pawel Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2008   Writer
Creative Commons isn't Copyright, it's a license that allows you to share certain parts of your work. Also, dA already has CC Licenses built in, check next time when you submit something.
qoucher Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2008  Hobbyist Photographer
I made this thread before dA started using CC, I dunno why people found it again.
:iconme-pawel:
me-pawel Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2008   Writer
Oh sorry, didn't notice that. :/
:iconilnaras:
ilnaras Featured By Owner Mar 19, 2008  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Copyright is already free - in many countries, a work is copyright the minute it's created, all rights reserved. Creative Commons is a means of giving people different forms of permission to use your work. You still have the copyright, now matter what.
:icondarkmoon3636:
darkmoon3636 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2005
"Creative Commons defines the spectrum of possibilities between full copyright all rights reserved and the public domain no rights reserved. Our licenses help you keep your copyright while inviting certain uses of your work a "some rights reserved" copyright."

I don't want certain uses of my work invited. :P
hmm, i saw something on wikipedia that said there are options to have your stuff shared or to have it fully copyrighted :upsetL
:iconshutdown:
shutdown Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2005  Professional Interface Designer
Kinda looks like an easy way to get people to advertise for your company. Or that might be cause i haven't slept all night. :slow:
well i mean it would be, but then again, i surely don't own a company that is internationally known. tons of people have used it and it's gotten awards and such, i read about it on wikipedia um, [link] , this would be an awesome way to advertise for a company that i had. of course i'm only 16 and not very fortunate. I hope no one takes it that way, i'd just love to show this oppourtunity to people, because i see it happen all the time, i see journals ranting about it. if people don't believe me though, just look into wikipedia [link] . of course it's an open editing web source, but like i said, i just found out about creative commons today. check for yourself on the copyright thing, if it doesn't work, tell me, i'd love to know.
:iconshutdown:
shutdown Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2005  Professional Interface Designer
I was talking about how they could use it as a way to advertise themselves. I know you were just putting down information.
oh, well yeah, but it's a non-profit organization, maybe i should of said that.
Add a Comment: