I found myself some Nostalgia lol

So I was looking for something in the attic AAAAAND I walk past some shiny cover.
I look at it and it turns out to be my 10 years old sketchbook.
I didn't draw a lot in it. But it comes from that school time I already mentioned that I was just "Training" at drawing during classes.

So it's literally ONLY sketches, only unfinished drawings of specific things I wanted to get better at. Either in pencil or whatever pen I had in hand. BUUUUT they're spread-out EVERYWHERE, in no specific order or theme, my papers and folders for school had random drawings, of random themes in random fking places. Cuz that's the kind of random I am.

I recently went through the few school papers I had left to see what old drawings I could find. And finding THIS 7 pages gem I even forgot existed brought back so many memories.

SO let's talk Nostalgia.

Have you been doing your craft / passion for long?

When did you start and what motivated or inspired you?

Do you still have any of your old work, nostalgic or meaningful pieces?

And most importantly, what do you 1st feel when thinking back at your start?
Aka What's your kind of nostalgia, and how do you experience / deal with it?

Feel free to digress towards other feelings if needed to detail or explain your nostalgic moments.

Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
My old 6th grade notebook still exist in the storage.It has been left there ever since i got to middle school.
This post remind me of its existence,and i go to see it.
Damn was it filed with crap sketch and drawing and shit.
Cringe was unbelievable dude.
Had one of these as a kid, and just found most of it going through some old boxes. Enough of it was broken, corroded, or missing that I ended up buying another off eBay for parts. Now I've made a project of restoring and repainting it. For the repaint I'm not trying to recreate the original style, instead I'm just going to try and cram as much detail in there as I can. So far I've gotten Uranus and Pluto done (doing the replacements first, then I'll go back over the originals) and I'd post pics, but it's a pain in the ass to get them off my phone and for some reason, I decided to post this from my ~2010 MacBook which doesn't have an SD card slot. I have an adapter, but I'm lazy.
Smithsonian-astro-lab-planetarium 1 8149dc42c1a343 by CubicApoc
ok fine here is the pic
20201202 102651 by CubicApoc
I found my lyrics book couple of months ago. I melted with cringe. 

Lol the cringe was REAL

I relate with you and I'm glad that you found some treasures of the past :)

"Have you been doing your craft / passion for long?"

I have been drawing and taking pictures since childhood, and it has been a constant companion through my life.
Sometimes I also work as a model for other artists.

"When did you start and what motivated or inspired you?"

I was about 5 years old when my grandfather showed me old pictures from the family album.
These old black and white images made a big impression on me and I wanted to learn to take pictures like this.
At the age of 10 I started  taking pictures with old film cameras and learned how to develop film myself.
From time to time I also like to draw but photography is my main topic.

As a child I was fascinated how you can capture moments of life onto paper so they become visual memories.

"Do you still have any of your old work, nostalgic or meaningful pieces?"

Yes, I do have some old pictures that I like, they are glimpes of my past.

"What do you 1st feel when thinking back at your start?"

I would do it the same way again.

"What's your kind of nostalgia, and how do you experience / deal with it?"

I like these old photos very much but I have moved on in the meantime.
My past has become a part of myself.
Today I look back at those years and in some years I might look back at today.
It's good to cherish those memories but not to cling to them.

Sorry for my bad English :)

Here is an old polaroid I took long time ago ...

childhood polaroid by yvi005  

It's a fine line between nostalgia and hoarding. ⊙﹏⊙

Lol true my friend. Tho I don't keep that much shit, I know people who're worse.

That would be me. I've been collecting comic books for almost thirty years and storage room is running out.๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

I've been doing lesser versions of my passions since I was a preteen, namely being a report spellchecker before I actually entered the reporting part of the job and manifesting myself differently online before joining DeviantArt, but I haven't been doing them in the form I know them for long, maybe a few years at most. It should be clarified my DeviantArt account and what I do for a living are two separate things, and I really only usually talk about the other thing when I mention passions. I started the job, a type of positive-centric reporting job which is hard to explain into words, to counter the implications of the opposite job, while I joined DeviantArt more as a side thing. Some of the photos from my gallery and my scraps came from the former. I haven't felt much nostalgia yet though, even though I feel satisfied with what I do.
I've been drawing for pretty much my entire time on this Earth, but I consider the real beginning to be 2004 or so, when I started keeping a sketchbook. So it's been 16 years of drawing with I think 8 years of painting? And I have TONS of my old art, I used to keep all of my sketchbooks until I started to run out of room so I'm take pages out that I wanted to keep and put them in a binder, and let a lof of sketchbooks go. I'm on sketchbook sixty-two so I had to condence it all. Now I go through them way slower, it takes over a year to fill one. But I cram more into one page and do more things outside of my sketchbook (paintings, comics, drawings on better paper, ect). 

I'm proud of young-me although the feeling I get when looking at some of my old art is what I assume Irratable Bowel Syndrome feels like, I'm also happy that I made so much and didn't let anything stop me from making terrible, terrible, manga. Sometime in high school I started to put off ideas for comics becasue I wanted to wait until "I was better". Well a lot of those ideas never followed me into the future, and even now I have ideas that I'm pushing until later. Young me gave no fucks at all and was making my story right then, and I think that was a pretty good attitude to have. The best way to learn is by doing, after all.
Sometimes I'll even feel a bit sad about not doing more comics in the past or not practicing more, but I have to remember that I was pretty bogged down with schoolwork and was already putting the minumum required effort in school so I could focus on art. So I'd rather be proud of what I was able to do with my time. 
i remember back in 2008 i made this book made with paper, sellotaped together which revolved around club penguin
it was only like 4 pages long but i remember feeling proud of it lol

club penguin wasn't that a Flash game multiplayer stuff?

I remember that on Kongregate at some point lol

yeah it lasted for a long time lol

ooh kongregate, yeah i wasn't aware of the name at the time but i definitely played some games from it

Ohh the flash era.

I know THIS song cuz of a random Kong flash game which was basically mutiplayer race game but on foot 2D obviously.

I only plaid once but at that time I was into this vibe a lot.

i remember playing those sonic and mario flash games lol