October 16
Link

Statistics

Replies: 85

I had a switchblade held against my throat

:iconkoikonhea:
koikonhea Featured By Owner Edited 4 days ago   Traditional Artist
EDIT: 

I'm perfectly fine and not traumatized at all so don't worry about me.
Thanks for your concern though <3

So basically a friend of mine (not anymore) got angry at me due to a misunderstanding and they decided to pull out a switchblade and put it against my neck after rounding me up in a corner.

I talked my way out of it and cleared things out after which we concluded that it was all due to a misunderstanding.

BUT

Afterwards I found out that they held the blade wrong side up and that they never intended to harm me physically, it was simply an interrogation tactic.

And for this reason my friend saw nothing wrong with it.

However this single event was it for me and I decided to cut ties with them because personally I consider it something nobody would ever do to their friend not even if it was about clearing things out by extracting information out of them.

Personally I see that as extreme emotional manipulation which is not acceptable under any circunstances between friends.

What do you think?

This begs a moral question, is it objectively wrong to threaten someone's life like that to sort out a dilemma?

I can see their point and I can see why it would be beneficial for both parties in the end but for me it also implies that this person is willing to hurt me emotionally like that for the sake of a lesser benefit and a true friend would never do that.

We both were absolutely sober during the event, neither of us was tired or hungry or anything like that.

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconxianghua:
Xianghua Featured By Owner 12 hours ago  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I don't know why you need to feel the need to ask on the forums regarding such behavior.

Clearly the days of being friends are over, he should be glad you did not exercise your right to self defense by putting him down cold and dead.

Assault with a deadly weapon actually justifies uses of deadly force against the attacker.

Do not even give him any chance to talk, the next time you see him you should have at least a pepper spray pointed at his face all the time, if he walk within the spraying distance just pepper spray and kick him in the balls.
Otherwise a 9mm is appropriate greeting to be pointed at his chest.
:icongpad:
GPAD Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Student Digital Artist
Good on you for cutting ties with them for not seeing what's wrong with it. Heck, I've been in a situation where I tried to strangle a friend when I was in a very negative space and while I did regret it in the end, it's completely understandable for them to cut ties with me from that.

It's just plain wrong. The issue isn't about which side of the switchblade he held, and he should know better.
:iconmike-the-dabbler:
"This begs a moral question, is it objectively wrong to threaten someone's life like that to sort out a dilemma?"

Not if it somehow saves 2 or more lives.

Also you should think up some back-up plans just in case this happens again.
koikonhea Featured By Owner 13 hours ago   Traditional Artist
It was very unexpected, had no idea this would happen.
Besides, I feel like I handled it decently.
:iconbabakosen:
BabakoSen Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
you made the right choice. Friends don't make friends fear for their lives, even if they have no intention of following through.
:iconrussian-spinnyman:
Russian-Spinnyman Featured By Owner 3 days ago
Good.

I'm glad you did.
:iconamurei:
Amurei Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
You did the right thing by cutting ties with them. Even if they didn't intend to hurt you it can still be very emotionally damaging. A friend should not be like that. Emotional manipulation is wrong. They should have just talked to you normally.
:iconphil-n-deblanc:
Phil-N-DeBlanc Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Professional Artist
and you let him walk away ???
koikonhea Featured By Owner 2 days ago   Traditional Artist
Indtead of doing what exactly?
Phil-N-DeBlanc Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Professional Artist
instead of taking it away and shoving it up his ass !!!
Sounds like a very dumb idea
Phil-N-DeBlanc Featured By Owner 13 hours ago  Professional Artist
Did it look like this :

SwitchBlade by Phil-N-DeBlanc

Not a dumb idea at all. Everything's easy, when you know how !!! :lol:

You should learn, then you won't fear !
If you knew them you wouldn't do it, it's not about knowing how to, it's about who does it better and when you're up against a person who is very experienced with knives you shouldn't get too arrogant.
Phil-N-DeBlanc Featured By Owner 12 hours ago  Professional Artist
What kind of "friend" holds a knife to your throat ???

The hand of vast experience is holding that Italian switchblade - mine !  Confidence is not arrogance !!!

koikonhea Featured By Owner 12 hours ago   Traditional Artist
Well, I did handle the situation well without the need of violent resistance.
The last thing I want is somebody wanting to take revenge on me, as of right now I haven't given them any good reasons to do so and I'd like to keep it that way.
:icon88hh:
88HH Featured By Owner 3 days ago
Is your friend an Australian or an Irish? They tend to do that. Just call them cunt and they will let you go.
:icondrifterjellybean:
DrifterJellybean Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconwatplx:
:iconart-of-bigsy:
Art-of-Bigsy Featured By Owner Edited 3 days ago
Absolute no no, a wolf in sheep's clothing...

A clear violation of all boundaries, in fact I'm surprised you never noticed this in their character before, I'm sure the signs were there. Good thing you cut ties, perhaps next time that blade would have ended up in your gut.
:iconaffinitydinaur:
AffinityDinaur Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Student General Artist
nearly snapped
:iconkaizenkitty:
KaizenKitty Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Professional Writer
Jesus.... :stare: yeah i pretty much agree with your stance on this. a friend wouldnt do that. ....how can i even trust someone after they pulled some shit like that?
Exactly, which is why I've cut all ties with them.
:iconshoddyshades:
shoddyshades Featured By Owner 3 days ago  New Deviant Professional Digital Artist
yeah, this person seems to have questionable boundaries for what's right or wrong.
would not like to have this person around at all.
:iconthe-abyss-watcher:
The-Abyss-Watcher Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
With friends like that who needs enemies?
:iconyangxiaofan457:
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah that is definitely not right at all and for them to see it as nothing really makes me question whether they know what is right or wrong. Good thing you aren't friends anymore, if they pulled a switchblade over a simple misunderstanding then it's an early sign that they are going to get more violent. Hopefully you are okay and that person doesn't bother you anymore.
:icontim-in-a-box:
tim-in-a-box Featured By Owner 3 days ago
Yea your friend is a psycho 🤨
Unless you stabbed their family member or something but even then that wouldn't be the right way to go about it 🤨
I fired them because they just didn't do any work and assumed that I wouldn't do anything about it and they had just moved into a new apartment and needed money for other things which is something he claimed was my fault since I fired him at the wrong moment.
:iconlancewing1994:
Lancewing1994 Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional Writer
"This begs a moral question, is it objectively wrong to threaten someone's life like that to sort out a dilemma?"

In this situation, no. There are some instances where that might be acceptable, but those such instances are extremely rare, as in unless you live in a dangerous part of the world, you most likely won't encounter those events often if at all. As for your friend, not only should you cut ties with him, I think you should report him to the authorities. If he thinks that kind of behavior is acceptable under petty circumstances, then he needs a shrink.
koikonhea Featured By Owner 4 days ago   Traditional Artist
No use, there is no solid evidence at all and the only eye witness who was there besides us would lie about the whole thing with 100% certainty.
I feel like the best option here would be to just let go of them quietly unless something actually dangerous will come up, I'll start recording every phonecall from them from now on just in case to try and get ahead of them.
:iconbrianbm100000:
brianbm100000 Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional Traditional Artist
If you want it to happen again see him again.

Next time you can expect to die.
:iconjcoolarts:
JCoolArts Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Sounds like someone who needs therapy.
:iconhappymaphunter:
HappyMapHunter Featured By Owner 4 days ago
This is him sober!!!?

Drop him, and get some kind of protection in case this guy comes around again!
:iconneiot:
Neiot Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
They aren't your friend.
:iconspaniardwithknives:
SpaniardWithKnives Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
That is a psycho... even if was the part that will not cut you. Why the need to scare a “friend” like that and why getting so violent?. It is sick. It is incredible the amount of fucks around

Had a friend years ago (family friend, older dude) that suggested he could make his dog attack me on command (a pittbull with cropped ears and a menacing look). He had been drinking, and when he drinks he pulls crazy stuff or jokes that go far off, that was not a joke, but a nasty threat.. but I said, Ok, remained calm and cut ties with him and his family ad soon as I left after playing cool enough (legs shaking almost). Narcissist psycho. Years later I still remember his face when he said that, the smirk

GTFO from those people. No sane person pulls shit like that
koikonhea Featured By Owner Edited 4 days ago   Traditional Artist
They pretty much lost it and went on a rant on a phonecall after I had gone back to my home country after I exposed them for it, never seen that side of them before.

It's interesting to find out how little you actually know about soneone until you really get to see how far they would go to compromise your relations against self-benefit.
SpaniardWithKnives Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh God... people like that exist and sometimes you run into one
My ex friend has a temper, but I would have not expected something like that. I was the youngest if the group, the “kid“. I was spared his remarks and treated well, until that day.
If they try to contact you to talk or try to “fix it”, do not reply or react. Smells like psycho To me. My ex friend tried to “fix the issue”inviting me to another party... hell no and I went no contact after that night and have unearthed a lot of shit from other of his former friends...
Sometimes a friend seems like family and one day... shit hits the fan.
I have no toxic friends, the moment somebody pulls something so twisted I am out
Right so but sometimes you really couldn't possibly know what to expect of somebody, dealing with relationships is always a gamble yet without them there's no point in living.
SpaniardWithKnives Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
You are right, although there tends to be red flags, even little ones, before something like this happens.
My ex friend is a psycho, the only one that I deem as totally dangerous and I proceeded with caution, going no contact with him. Normal people around me do not pull this stuff. Also, normal people talk stuff out and if it does not work do not use this tactic
:icondyscalculie:
Dyscalculie Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional Traditional Artist
Drop him like a brick. With friends like that, who needs enemies?
Are you okay? I mean, not too traumatized?
The backlash of the scare can come with delay...
Honestly I feel really good about this whole thing because going through an experience like this gave me a whole new perspective on life, relationships, morals and ethics.
Good. I'm glad.
And if he comes back whining to forgive him, saying it was only for fun or so, stand your ground! If only for his own good: he has to learn there are lines you don't cross, especially if you want to be called "friend" of someone.
Damn, I just received a message from them and it's past 4am over here.

And earlier today they told me that next time we'd talk after a week or so.

"Call me when you can"
"We need to talk"

Thing is, they're actually one of my best friends and I know for a fact tht I'm their only real friend so I feel like they will try out every way to try and persuade me to not let go.

I'll be sure to keep my ground, no way I'm turning around at this point.
If you forgive him, be sure to let him sweat for a while. He clearly still doesn't realize how wrong this was. It's like a guy who forces himself on a girl: they too don't realize sometimes they crossed a line, they have to be taught. With guys, it's the eternal "joking around". They keep crossing the lines to their friends, until it's really too far. They have to learn.
I'll let them try and say whatever they want, I feel like at this point the best thing to do is not giving them any reason to justify any twisted behaviour.
I feel like blocking them would be an instant trigger so it's probably for the best to just let them message me.
Luckily we live in different countries.
Good. And anyway, you've got us, and we're not cowards, we're Klingons!

Klingons by Dyscalculie  
:iconstephenl:
StephenL Featured By Owner 3 days ago
Klingons?

Did you know what Star Trek has in common with toilet paper?
Both spend their time circle your anus (Uranus) looking for cling ons (Klingons).
(1 Reply)
I find it kinda funny that after a long period of very basic, boring living all of this weird stuff began happening to me...
In the past month I've been arrested by the military and sent to a military base to be brainwashed, threatened with a knife, fled off the road in a car as a passenger, being constantly harassed by a well intending creepy old lady who bought security cameras from me and constantly tries to get attention from me by trying to get me to come over and set up things for her.
What a crazy month, holy shit.
On top of that there's the corona thing and everything.
It feels almost surreal how all of these things happened at once.
Great story material though lol.
(1 Reply)
I did actually just a few hours ago, I immediately noticed how they kept switching between different manipulation techniques.

Screw them.
Yes. You deserve respect, and as I said, with friends like that, you don't need any enemies.
:icontriagonal:
Triagonal Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Artist
If someone needs to bluff, ask yourself, do they really trust you? From a friendship perspective, yes, why wouldn't it be wrong?
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Sounds like he has a little too much testosterone. So unless you want to live like a Klingon better to distance yourself.
Add a Comment: