Do you feel you have the right to do whatever feels good as long as it makes you happy?

We all try to be authentic or true to ourselves. In this day and age doing what feels good to us and ignoring what others may think seems to work for so many people to the point that we invade other people's space and comfort zones.

This can involve playing your music, partying as loud as you want with out considering your neighbors or something as simple as just farting in a room full of people without saying excuse me.

Do you feel its okay to have it your way as long as your not the one that has to pay?
Comments119
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
most people dont have that luxury, i think ~~~ of being their authentic selves (most of the time). quite often you have to play a certain role, and that role may not be true to who you really are. doesnt mean you have to be unhappy doing so. a job is a job.

Ah the proverbial masks we wear to fit in. Sometimes I do wonder though if its the mask or has that individual adapted so well to that particular role that they can no longer differentiate themselves from their persona?

Like a politician for example?

Lol, not going to get political here. I think we have enough of that on the news to keep us tied over for ages. I feel what you're saying though...

Why not just discuss the philosophy of nihilism?
Not if it harms others... That's the actual reason we don't allow child molestation... Not because it is gross or some guy claiming to be God said so???

Well, it's not that 'it's not allowed' as much as there is a law in place that

serves as a deterrent. Every action has a consequence. You could go outside

and harm someone right now if you wanted to. Of course there will be

a consequence for it as well. You could drive around in your car and

not wear a seat belt or use a headset when you talk on your phone

if you choose to do so.

This isn't to encourage bad behavior its just to point out that you

can if you want to do so. Doesn't mean you will walk away from

your decision without experiencing some sort of consequence for

that said action. Some people feel that the risk is worth the reward.

There are also those of us that suffer, from extremely poor judgement

as well. If you don't get help for this you go through life like that and

end up placing a burden on yourself and others around you.

As long as it doesn’t hurt anyone and doesn’t break any laws, sure.
Whoever says "yes" to your question is a sociopath. 
I am no sociopath, so I'll say no. I feel I can do what I want so long as it makes me happy and doesn't hurt other people. Making loud noise is extremely harmful to the peace and the health of other people, so anyone who does that, especially at night, is a jerk.
The same goes for all the other annoying things that people so often do to each other and that make this world such a hard place to live in.

Well, I don't think I'm qualified to place a label on somone

but I do feel that they probably have a much different moral

compass than you or myself. Some people feel the ends justify

the means, and if that means you get what you want in the

end then they are okay with that. I certainly does make

coexisting with such an individual unpleasant if you don't

share the same views...

Sociopaths don't have a moral compass at all, that's what makes them sociopaths. They don't think the end justifies the means; they just only feel themselves. Being a sociopath means having no empathy and no social conscience. They can only feel themselves. If they do something that harms other people, they have no idea about that at all. When you see someone like that kick and beat a poor dog or homeless old woman or an other victim, and you would ask them why he does that, he probably would be unable to answer you. Or maybe the only thing he would be able to answer would be: "because I like it", or something.

A sociopath is a step in the direction of a psychopath. So it's not at all about views or thoughts, it's rather about the lack of it.

I'll just repeat what I said earlier just encase it was missed.

I do not feel I am qualified to place a label on someone,

because I don't have a professional degree or background

in psychology. I do believe that everyone has a moral

compass, but there are those that will choose to

ignore it. You can't assume that they don't know

right from wrong. Its possible that they just don't care...

I don't believe that necessarily makes you a sociopath.

That is all I'm going to say on this matter. Its my opinion

and its a discussion not a debate. Thanks for sharing yours

as well.

I feel like the obstacles are too many to ignore them and the world is full of manipulators. No one should feel like they owe someone a favor or like they have to pay. If they are deep in the swamp don't help, because they will drag you along with them.

It does kind of feel like that sometimes doesn't it? I still think there are

good people out there, its just you run into so many of the other type

that it sort of puts you on defense and keeps you from venturing out.

Stay positive and seek out positivity and you will find what suits your

needs.

If what feels good is getting high on shrooms and dancing naked in the middle of nowhere in the forest sure, go for it. Go wild. If what makes you happy is bullying people, raping a murdering then it's wrong. Things that make people feel good are good, but if it makes other people directly involved feel bad it's bad. 

Well, very black and white, but more or less it

makes things, morally, less complicated than

they need to be. Right and wrong becomes a

very complicated issue when we all have a

moral compass that leads us in different

directions. That is why values are important

to help reign us in otherwise we go so far

out there that our humanity becomes

questionable at best.

I think being moral is pretty easy when you base morals on love.

Some people love to hate on others. But I get what you're saying XD

If you have love in your heart its a lot easier to be considerate towards

others.

No, if this was okay then I would have gotten revenge on my bullies long ago.

The best revenge is to live your life well. Be all that you can

be. That will make anyone one with a hateful heart cringe

in agony at the site of their victim living their life to the

fullest. Forgive them so that you can make space for

better things in your life. They won't even matter

to you in a few years and most will have moved

on to a new target because that kind of person

thrives on suffering and pain to validate them

selves. If you hold on to the memories and

allow them to hold you back, they've basically

scored a victory over you.

So how do I get over the reality that my bullies played a prank that went too far and killed a fellow classmate? :'(

I don't honestly think you can erase what's happened. That is a heavy scar and only time and the proper help can mend such a wound. I'm sorry for your loss and do hope that at least you can find a way to honor your classmate's memory in a way that will bring you peace. I do believe the bullies will get what's coming to them if they were directly responsible for what's happened to your friend.

I'm slowly accepting it and yeah I need time to heal. It's just a bit hard because it could have been me or my sister.

From what I heard the ringleader of the bullies got expelled and cannot apply to any school or get a job because it's on their record and so their future is pretty much dead. But the others got let off because they claimed the ringleader forced them to play the prank and go too far. They got expelled but as far as I know they don't have a criminal record like the ringleader because they agreed to give a witness statement or something. It was years ago so I don't know what became of them.