5 personal drawing tablet facts

Share some facts about your use or relationship with your drawing tablet, could be interesting, surprising, or insightful for other digital artists.

Here are mine :

- my HUION tablet came with a pack of tips for the pen and after 3 years I still never felt the need to change the original one (I guess my hand is really light when drawing, because some guy on DA iirc used all of them after one year using the exact same tablet)

- I would be totally lost, slower and less efficient if I didn't have the custom shortcut buttons at the left side of my tablet, which I keep my hand on all the time when I draw

- I never drew on my tablet without the special "2 fingered" glove, I don't think I can do it, I can't imagine my hand sliding that well without it

- in the little software that comes with the tablet, I have different favorite sensitivity settings for whether I'm going to paint on photoshop or sketch on SAI, which I figured out for myself through experimenting, and if I used say the "sketching settings" for painting or vice versa, I would have a huge decrease of quality in what I can do and have a much less comfortable and organic experience with my tablet, so it was totally worth the time tweaking and figuring out what works

- I consider my drawing tablet my most favorite and valuable belonging of all time 
Comments46
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Here's some facts about mine:

- I got it as graduation gift since they saw me drawing on my phone. A Wacom tablet was the only one available and it was cheap too.

- My tablet has no screen and is only 5" x 8" wide that includes the shortcut buttons.

- The pen nibs wear out easily so I cringe whenever I hear a scratching sound. I change the angle of my pen to stop it. Just like a pencil.

- When I draw, I usually place the tablet on top of the keyboard of my laptop. I can carry it around like that.

- I don't use any shortcut buttons on my tablet since they don't work properly. I use different apps for drawing too like SAI, Medibang and FireAlpaca and they each have their own brushes and shortcuts.

I like my tablet though. Making digital art became much more easier with it. Too bad I left in my dorm before quarantine. I miss drawing on it. 
I bought a Wacom tablet because that was the only tablet available on the store.

I learned to use it easily becuase I already got hand-eye coordination.

The nibs did not wear easily but the tablet coat did. Has this halo thing after 10 months of using it.

It fell three times. Still good.

I don't use the buttons on the pen becuase I hate using it and it doesn't really respond with the drivers (it sucks).

I wish I could buy the XP Pen 12 inch screen tablet but that would make me give up on my Wacom. I'll just stick to my current tablet (it might last for years :))
1) the tablet doesnt have a screen

2) i wish it was larger :XD:

3) didnt come with a glove :la: but artist gloves seem so cool! my fav character from MHA (Shigaraki) wears them! ;) and i bet this was partly inspired by Horikoshi's own experiences... !! come to think of it, Horikoshi has the same hairstyle as Shigaraki :O ....could this character have been inspired by the creator himself??

Horikoshi (creator) --> vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/bo…

Shigaraki (character) --> i.pinimg.com/originals/06/09/3…

4) ive disabled the touch function because it interfered with drawing... whenever my hand touches the tablet.... ugh.

5) i try to draw without touching the tablet with my hand...
Mine doesn't have a screen as well, I got used to it like that, I don't want a different tablet. 

ive considered upgrading to iPad.... so i can keep drawing while traveling. (but now with //stay at home/ Covid, im not even travelin.... so :lol: :shrug: )

So you should consider buying a HUION like mine, I love it.

no? then id have to carry around both the Huion and my laptop... and connect them by wire on a flat surface (like a desk or table). seems a lot less practical than an iPad i can draw on while sitting in the train.... :shrug:

I have a Parblo Coast13, it's like a Cintiq for poor people. It's awesome, after my Wacom Bamboo went destroyed...
... but behaviour is hard to change:
- Drawing while looking down was painful, so I stopped looking down... and started using it like a normal drawing tablet.
- I use my tablet with my laptop, above the keyboard, slightly on the right so I can use the Ctrl + Z... I never used the sidebar buttons my tablet has.
... basically using a Cintiq like an Intuos. :B
1. I don't have a drawing tablet
2. that's it, there's not fact 2, I just don't have a tablet
3. it's a lot of money for something I don't need
4. had to sign my name on one of those for my ID card, it was absolute shitshow, I had to redo it like 3times, their settings were off or something
5. fuck drawing tablets
:whisper: drawing tablets are not intended to be used as sex toys.... :meditation:  but whatever floats your boat...

I'm sure there are ways to use a tablet as a sex toy 🤔

yes. like drawing nsfw art... for fun

I don't think drawing is the most fun part of nsfw art :eyes:

it does help me visualize a scene :D

I bought a wacom graphire about 20 years ago, when they first were released, used it for a year, got bored of digital art, then a few years ago, thought id treat myself to a new one, its pretty much no better than the 20 year old wacom, used it a couple of times for digital competitions on DA and got bored of digital again...
Until i can afford a 22" cintique, i wont be doing any more digital art...
For me, drawing with a tablet that isnt a screen is like trying to use a grabber stick, to pick up a paintbrush, to create a painting, you are twice removed from the medium, and not in a fun way, i really dont know how the younger generations with all their spoilt impatience have time for digital, i love putting in hard work and effort, but digital just sucks! imo ofc...
It feel weird in the beginning, you sure you gave your brain enough time to learn it ? It can take from weeks to months depending on people.

Ive got years of digital practice, and not being big headed but am probably more capable on a tablet than most on the forums :p i know all the keyboard shortcuts and use them effectively, its all i did for my first few years online...

Its just too boring to continue though, not while traditional mediums exsist...

took me years to get used to it LOL now i go back to traditional art and during inking im like.... the fuck? my hand is in the way!! :O :noes: how am i supposed to ink one smooth continuous line when my hand blocks the view of half of the pencil sketch???

:shrug: i think i would get more out of an iPad Pro than an expensive Wacom tablet that is super heavy and has super slow processor.... just my :twocents:. the iPad Pro is like 3 times cheaper
I'd say go for it.  I have the cheap (by Apple standards) iPad 7 and the thing is brilliant.  With a matt screen cover it's like drawing in a sketchbook, only one where you can move the picture around with a couple of fingers.
Personally think the stylus is far better than anything by Wacom or the others.  Only downside is it needs recharging now and again.

And I've generally disliked Apple as a company...
Years? only took me a few days or weeks to get used to a wacom, its just a case of not wanting to get used to it ya know :)
And honestly id rather give up art for life than to buy an apple product :p theres no comparison for quality, and as i always say, you get what you pay for, i always try to buy the best thing available, and wacom is light years ahead of apple in the drawing tablet department :)
" i always try to buy the best thing available"

You're like the opposite of me, I buy the cheapest thing available almost as a general rule xD

Well i guess it does depend on what you are buying, but generally with high end technology that has to be of a high standard, its best to spend as much as you can afford, ofc after reading many reviews, preferably from professionals...

Though you are right in some instances, reading reviews and getting the next best appliance can save you money for the same performance...

correction: Wacom was lightyears ahead. (5 years ago)

now Wacom is just trying to sell a hugely overpriced brick (yes their tablets are so heavy!! 2 kilos. why is it 2 kg?) with a slow processor and low memory

....for three times the amount of money

that a decent iPad Pro with a pressure sensitive pen and a super speedy processor and huge memory is. plus the iPad is super lightweight. i can carry it around everywhere, use it to draw on the go. i can do other things on it. (like writing)...

the iPad Pro is simply objectively a better product than the Wacom MobileStudio Pro ~ i have done my research. hanging onto a brand name just because you like the name doesnt seem sensible to me... :O :confused: especially when they dont even try to improve their products! while their competitors are improving theirs...:shrug:
My HUION is so light.