The Next Phase of DeviantArt Eclipse

Has been revealed...

The Next Phase of DeviantArt EclipseEclipse launched to Beta Testers this past fall and has opened up to hundreds of thousands of deviants since. We continue to learn, develop, and improve the next phase of DeviantArt, and we’re looking forward to launching Eclipse to all of the community. A Glimpse at What We’re Working OnIn addition to the following top-priority areas in Eclipse, we regularly post Change Logs highlighting bug fixes, both big and small. Be sure to watch @team to stay updated, because we occasionally post about upcoming features still in the early stages of ideation, and we love to hear what you have to say. Here’s a glimpse into what we’re working on, but please keep in mind that our timelines for these changes are not yet finalized, and the features are subject to change:Dark and light theme adjustments: We're revisiting the contrast colors used in Eclipse's light and dark themes with an aim to improve readability.Muted tags: The ability to “mute” (or “block”) specific tags in browse and search has been a highly requested feature. We see this as a first step, amongst many, to provide a more personalized DeviantArt experience.Gallery subfolders for Core Members.Search in Favourites and Collections.Additional Custom sections for Core Members.Performance and speed improvements: Certain aspects of Eclipse can be a bit slower to load. This is a known issue, and we’ve already made considerable advances in various areas of the site. As we continue to monitor site performance, we’ll frequently be implementing optimizations.Category pages: Dedicated category pages which will include more specific categories the community has requested in Eclipse. Green pages: Certain pages of DeviantArt have not been uplifted and redesigned with the Eclipse aesthetics. These pages include Forum, Shop, Settings, and several other pages. We will continue to work on giving deviants a more consistent experience.Groups (early phase): We’ve begun early explorations regarding the future of Groups. Since Groups is such an extensive part of DeviantArt, we want them to have the best experience and value to the community. We'll be sharing more as work progresses!Chat (early phase): One of our upcoming goals is to make it easier to connect — in real-time — with your friends, favorite artists, fans, or Groups. We’re working on the early stages of what the future of chatting and communicating will be on DeviantArt.Stats (early phase): We’ve also begun exploring additional stats for your profile and content. Recent Visitors section for Core Members.Deviousness Award section on Profile.What’s Already Been Added To Eclipse We’ve been constantly developing new features and capabilities to Eclipse based on your feedback. Here’s what’s been added:Custom section: Personalize your Profile with the new Custom section. You can showcase a single deviation or multiple, journals, and even GIFs!Spotlight section: Deviants can add up to five Spotlight sections on their Profiles to display their own works or some of their personal faves.Slideshow mode: We’ve implemented a new slideshow mode for Gallery and Favourites sections on your Profile. Decreased size of thumbnails: We decreased thumbnails 75% of their original size.Custom journal cover image: You are now able to upload a cover image for your journal, or select one from your Gallery, instead of it auto-populating the first image featured in the journal.Categories: We’ve made design improvements by making the 3-facet system visible by default, so you’ll always be able to easily select and view the type, content, and category. We are also working on a dedicated page for you to view more categories as well. Strips on the front page: We have redesigned the curated strips that appear on the Browse front page so they’re more identifiable as featured content, rather than part of the browse results. New notification layout: We’ve added two views to Feedback – simple and advanced. Need to view your latest notifications at a glance? Simple view lets you see your most recent comments, replies, mentions, and more for rapid response! Looking to dive deep into your DeviantArt experience and catch up on the community since your last visit? Advanced view is recommended for users who want to see their notifications organized in a stacked and categorized fashion for more in-depth review. Decreased size of notifications: We’ve adjusted and optimized the design of Feedback by lessening padding and decreasing thumbnail sizes. Watch Recommendations: Discover new deviants and art across the site! Based on your personal activity and behavior, we’ll recommend deviants with similar tastes and aesthetics to those you're already watching. Happy watching!Ability to remove comments section on your Profile.Keep Sharing Your Feedback!DeviantArt Eclipse is still a work in progress, so we encourage you to continue exploring Eclipse and submitting feedback! Here’s how to submit feedback:Switch to DeviantArt EclipseHover over your avatarSelect “Give Your Feedback”Thank you for being a part of the thriving and inspiring community, and we look forward to sharing more updates with you all!

Note these parts:

:bulletblack: Dark and light theme adjustments: We're revisiting the contrast colors used in Eclipse's light and dark themes with an aim to improve readability.

:bulletblack: Green pages: Certain pages of DeviantArt have not been uplifted and redesigned with the Eclipse aesthetics. These pages include Forum, Shop, Settings, and several other pages. We will continue to work on giving deviants a more consistent experience.

:Oink: Your thoughts on these developments?

There are lots of interesting comments to read under that Journal.
Comments75
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
As a manual data-miner (i.e. my brain; not a bot), I worry less about strict aesthetics as much as functionality (namely access to data) as well as quantity of information displayed on a page. anidb.net makes an excellent example of both as crowdsourcing project, but more generally of information density. I also concern myself with access since I live rather nomadic on occasion as well as vocally support willful nomads, either who do so for sanity or for protest. As such the website's exhaust on client computing resources create an access barrier whereby someone without access to a certain strata of computer (i.e. "good" or "not relic" computers) can't reasonably explore deviantart. 

To the first interests end, eclipse deprives access to the list of collections including a favourite of any given artpiece (absolutely debilitating my curation process) or the "sort relevant by artist" feature which I assume aggregates then ranks occurrences of each artist's pieces within the collections including a given favourite. Both no longer have links under the brief relevant images section on every piece's page. 
I got no problem with it, even gotten use to not being llama herder friendly. however, what about a way to show activity in a group, such as uploading and the likes before visiting said group.  it has the whole recent activity for a journal entry, but not recent art activity.  it has it in some groups, yet if all groups were forced to deal with this feature, it sure would help us group finders find active groups that'll give us the notification love.  otherwise, at least they are trying to do something, better than just promising and never deliver.
I noticed both of those! :nod: Quite interesting, especially the color part. Fixing the contrast issues will immediately make Eclipse a whole lot better, tbh. (ofc there's other stuff that needs fixing too, but at least it'll be soooo much easier on the eyes now :phew: )

I'm also really liking this proposed "muted tags" thing they brought up, too...
"Fixing the contrast issues will immediately make Eclipse a whole lot better, tbh."

It needs a green or grey or more neutral color version as well.
:icontroofsplz:

A black version, a white version, and a green/gray option would be nice. More options without being a huge workload, I think.
Yeah, it shouldn't be that difficult to change the colors.
Your thoughts on these developments?

It might looks cute, but I'm still more siding for ''it sucks'' than being indifferent. I ain't that kind of person that you can convince me with something that is crap at first, and then you ''fix'' it because they're desperated.

You want me to tell you and everyone my suggestion? Here is: Put on the regular DeviantArt the ''dark theme'' without forcing us to use the Eclipse! Just how YouTube and Twitter did! SIMPLE!

No Eclipse, NO!
A total eclipse of the art
Once upon a time there was light in my life, now there're just two themes, white and dark.
I quite like them, at least some of them. The color changes have been requested over and over again, and it will be interesting to see what can be done. Muting tags would hopefully make the site "cleaner" - you could choose to take away a lot of the fetish art, and I have no doubt it would make the hot 24 hours page nicer.

It will be interesting to see how the forum will look, though. But we will be able to like comments - and that has been requested quite a lot of times here.
"Muted tags: The ability to “mute” (or “block”) specific tags in browse and search has been a highly requested feature. We see this as a first step, amongst many, to provide a more personalized DeviantArt experience."

Filtering out all of the fetish-y shit that DeviantArt is notorious for sounds like a blessing from the heavens! Hey, FurAffinity! You seeing this?
     ...but if you filter out all of the fetish-y shit that FurAffinity has, won't you see nothing at all? :lol:
Only one way to find out. :dummy:
My thoughts are that the makers of Eclipse absolutely suck
My thoughts are also that they shouldn't be 'rolling out' such an obviously imperfect version yet.

I like things the way they are... :grump:

the best improvement would be..............eclipse not being existing anymore 
Completelly agree.
Eclipse is shaping up nicely :D