Australian and New Zealand ISPs block 4chan and 8chan.

4chan, 8chan blocked by Australian and NZ ISPs for hosting shooting video.
3/20/2019

Widespread website blocking being used to limit spread of terror attack video.

:bulletred: Internet service providers in Australia have temporarily blocked access to dozens of websites, including 4chan and 8chan, that hosted video of last week's New Zealand mass shooting.

:bulletred: New Zealand ISPs have also been blocking websites that host the video.

The website blocking is temporary and expected to be lifted when video of the attack is removed, according to Guardian Australia.

Facebook and Twitter weren't blocked, "because they are taking active steps of their own to remove the material from their pages." Facebook has removed at least 1.5 million videos of the attack from its website.

The white nationalist terrorist attacked during Friday prayer at the Al Noor Mosque and the Linwood Islamic Centre in Christchurch, New Zealand, and killed 50 people while injuring 50 more. The gunman live-streamed 17 minutes of the attack.

:bulletred: New Zealand authorities have been arresting people who share video of the shooting. New Zealand and most other countries don't have free speech protections as extensive as those found in the US.

:bulletred: Australia and New Zealand also do not have net neutrality rules that prevent ISPs from blocking websites.

In the US, net neutrality rules were taken off the books last year. Even when US rules were in place, the ban on blocking only applied to lawful Internet content, and the rules also did not apply when ISPs had to cooperate with law enforcement, public safety, or national security authorities.

:bulletgreen: Read more here, including about which ISPs are blocking content and websites: ArsTechnica - arstechnica.com/tech-policy/20…
:bulletpink: 1 - Do you think that this is the appropriate action for ISPs to take? Why or why not?

:bulletpink: 2 - Are you in Australia or New Zealand and being affected by this blocking? If so, what do you think about this?

:bulletpink: 3 - Should the US have the same content blocking policies as Australia and New Zealand? Why or why not?

:bulletpink: 4 - Should people be arrested for sharing the NZ shooting video, or other such videos? If so, why?
Comments109
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I live in the United States, so it's not going to affect me. I don't go on 4chan because it's a trash website and it's full of some of the worst kinds of people you can imagine. I'm kinda glad that 4chan is temporarily blocked, although of course this isn't going to deter people from accessing it. The video of the shooting should be removed and the channel should be punished because videos that depict real people getting killed are in extremely poor taste. I honestly don't think people should be arrested for sharing the video, although they shouldn't be sharing it in the first place, since like sezzac155 said, that's what the shooter wants. I think punishing them on social media would be fair enough.
1. No, people will get around it if they want to watch it anyway
2. No
3. Not in the US so I don't really care, but generally no
4. Only if they support such actions (which unfortunately is 99% of the time)
Take the guns the gov jus banned and get your freedom. The terrorist was a pawn tk strengthen globalism..
"Take the guns the gov jus banned and get your freedom."

Why don't you remind us again how well that worked out for the Native Americans? :paranoid:

"The terrorist was a pawn tk strengthen globalism.."

He wanted to strengthen globalism ...in New Zealand?

If so, then that seems like a really far away place to start. :lol:
I am Australia and I don't go on 4Chan at all (don't wanna) so it doesn't affect me at all. But like from what I have heard about it, it seems like a really horrible website. So...no sympathy and it seems blocking it temporarily is a good move. :shrug: rvmp 

I am waiting for the US to block guns let alone content. Come back to me when you have done that. Then we can consider blocking online content. 

No, they shouldn't be arrested for sharing the video. But you shouldn't be sharing it either. That's what the shooter wants. 
De-platforming is the way to go like the age old saying of "Don't feed the trolls". 
Well from what I've heard, 4chan seems like a mean website to be honest. There's just so much shit; like that photo that got heavily photoshopped and we all know it now as Jeff the Killer, that the girl in the photo ended killing herself. 
hey New Zealand still has Kiwi Farms
According to a kiwi, no.
I wouldn't know I was just making a pun
It was said in another forum.
I feel like that's somehow appropriate.
Even if the stream was super horrible, no one can't erase it, no matter how hard people try. Sick fucks will post it up regardless.

I feel bad for the aussies and the kiwis (no, not the fruit, birds or the drama cow forum!) to get fucked in the ass by hardcore censorship but yo, you had a fucking 8chan tard shooting up people instead of the fucked up Americans without seeing the warning signs (even if they saw it, it would be too late).

NO, we should not have the same blocking shit because there will be super bad if it gets out of hand...as if it wasn't already.
Just use google dns
Bullet; Pink 1 - Do you think that this is the appropriate action for ISPs to take? Why or why not?
I think it will do nothing :B if people are determined enough, they'll find a way to view it

Bullet; Pink 2 - Are you in Australia or New Zealand and being affected by this blocking? If so, what do you think about this?
N/A

Bullet; Pink 3 - Should the US have the same content blocking policies as Australia and New Zealand? Why or why not?
No, 'cause see #1

Bullet; Pink 4 - Should people be arrested for sharing the NZ shooting video, or other such videos? If so, why?
No because watching that video doesn't mean anything besides you're curious lol. There's probably, like, a 0.67% of people who get a sick pleasure out of watching it but they're a minority
1- No, but it is a common thing here. Websites are constantly blocked for various reasons.

2- This doesn't affect me, since never use those sites... but I think it is pointless. Anyone determined to use those sites will just access them with VPNs or proxy servers. People with radical conspiracy theories aren't going to be dissuaded by the government trying to censor them. If anything this only encourages those sorts of people, because it confirms their delusion that normal society is out to get them.

3- No, and I doubt that with free speech laws in the US it would be allowed to happen. In Australia there is technically no law protecting speech. There are however a few which deem what is 'unacceptable.'

4- I don't think people should be arrested. I think they should be more concerned with going after the media outlets that used it. Actually it is absurd that 8chan and 4chan get banned, but the British tabloids that shared it are still accessible inews.co.uk/news/christchurch-…
"In Australia there is technically no law protecting speech."

That has to suck.
Rarely has it become an issue. But more recently it has started to be. Mainly they only care about what's said online. 90% of our media is owned by Rupert Murdoch and is centre-right anyway.

I mean someone publicly called the Prime Minister Tony Abbott a dickhead (to his face) and he wasn't dragged off to a gulag and never seen again. So it isn't too bad I guess. www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRMI4Z… (Video is of the man insulting the PM, he is a true hero)

But there are a lot of people who are calling for a right for free speech to be added to our bill of rights. It is something the republican movement have been trying to say they will do if we get rid of the monarchy.
1. No. The only sites that should be blocked are ones that are straightout illegal, i.e piracy sites or black market sites.
2. Nope.
3. No. No country should restrict access to sites that aren't for illegal purposes.
4. No. Fine them if you have to, but jailing them is just a waste of government money.
    ...and nothing of value was lost? lol
I heard Australia was the world capital for shitposting, has 4chins suddenly become silent?
"Australia was the world capital for shitposting"

...and yet, they have no law allowing for freedom of speech. :paranoid: