Shop Forum More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
October 10
Link

Statistics

Replies: 168

Why is DA suggesting art in my Message Center?

:iconpiggies-go-moo:
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Edited Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Why is DA sending me "Hot Topics" suggesting art I might like?

Message-Center-Art-Suggestions-10-10-2018 by piggies-go-moo

Is anyone else getting these things?

If I want to see art I'll go look at art. I don't need it popping up in huge ads in my Message Center. It's annoying!

...and just look at the size of that message!

I think by now we're all aware that there's art on DA. :grump:

------------------

UPDATE:

10-11-2018

danlev has posted a response to this issue farther down in this thread: comments.deviantart.com/18/244…

Here is an image of his response:

Message-Center-Art-Suggestions-danlev-Response-10- by piggies-go-moo

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstardusttrooper:
StardustTrooper Featured By Owner Oct 24, 2018  Student Digital Artist
danlev I would definitely like it if it was based on the people we follow, but I think this feature's great so far!

Looks like piggies isn't taking it so well. :noes: 
:icon0l-dirty-bastard:
0l-Dirty-Bastard Featured By Owner Oct 23, 2018  New Deviant
Cuz haters wanna shoot, everything that shine
So I'm prepared, to lock and load my rhymes
Eat, two at a time, while my mind is bent
And dare motherfucker, come with Brook' with that
I be rollin' on the Boulevard, nothin' better rush
I'm like Big Ben with my middle finger up
Sidewalk hash, make thugs relax
Got a team that could devour your habitat
More gritty than Diddy, cause my hair's uncombed
Streets I roam, are too hot to throw on poems
Feel like every block's home, when the yay is yo
Gotta rob a motherfucker when the day is slow
:iconbadassnymph:
BadassNymph Featured By Owner Oct 17, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm  not core,I still get the same "hot topics".
:iconpurpleamhariccoffee:
PurpleAmharicCoffee Featured By Owner Oct 16, 2018
99% of the time, "hot topics" are totally irrelevant and I delete them right away. :coffee: V2
I prefer to search by newest. There's a lot more entertainment there for me.
:iconmoonlitinuyasha1985:
moonlitinuyasha1985 Featured By Owner Oct 14, 2018
You, too? :O
:iconmerryjayne13:
merryjayne13 Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
i dont know why they did that but it sucks : ( they recommend me some weird shit :lol:
:iconangrybudcom:
angrybudcom Featured By Owner Edited Oct 12, 2018
Hey! The guys are doing the great job, and we all enjoy it practically for free, yet they still need to feed their small DEVIANTS too, like anyone else... Or... maybe they build a smartest-ever social robot and we need to give it a time and help to educate itself, eh?

Only think: what if they do it for YOU, ah? =) 

You didn't like this particular move, okay, but then we are all people eligible for mistakes, performing these damn mistakes more often than we'd wish to do... It's a nice place (by far) and it deserves no kind of "WTF" (by far).
:iconfat-punisher:
Fat-Punisher Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I would prefer if it was art that was maybe more relevant to me personally. kind of like how google algorithms work on youtube, to show you ads for stuff you might actually want.

"You might like..."
Yeah but you're sending the same image and same message to thousands of other users so it's not what I might like at all. 

Kind of seems like an advertisement, Why exactly were those pieces of art being displayed?
The DA person said that it wasn't paid for by the artists but I'm skeptical.

piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"I would prefer if it was art that was maybe more relevant to me personally."

Exactly! If you're going to send these out, then personalize them based on (perhaps) what I looked at previously or the type of art I typically upload or what I usually fav or something that's personal.

And also give people the option to turn it off if they don't want to receive these kinds of messages - because, after all, we are all capable of actually searching for art if we want to see art.
:iconcanineprince:
CaninePrince Featured By Owner Edited Oct 11, 2018   Digital Artist
I suppose they're trying another alternative to raise the unknown artists. I notice the artists featured are not very popular compared to others. I'd say this is Undiscovered, only directly brought to you.

I've gotten it twice. I saw in the second one (didn't check the first), CORE and non-CORE gets equal chance of feature.

This actually brings me an internal debate of whether this is fair or not, based on how popularity should be earned here or not. Many people has repeated the overused jargon of "give feedback to get one yourself", so this could be seen as shortcut lottery. I have been thinking and accepting that actively trying to grab exposure is part of being an artist, but that also leave out the artists who have great arts yet little interaction due to their constraints. Hmm.... pretty complicated and confusing matter when I think about it :worry:

Then again, I heard Undiscovered doesn't even work the way it is intended to be.
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
If there is some algorithm that tries to match things that I might like based on my favs, that would be cool. If it's just random that is dumb.
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Apparently at this time it's just random (not based on what you previously looked at) - and many people got the same suggested images.
:iconharryasaboy:
Harryasaboy Featured By Owner Edited Oct 11, 2018
Hehe if there were an algorithm that looked at my likes it might go blind.
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My algorithm would probably always return an irrational number.
:iconchaseawaythedark:
chaseawaythedark Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Student Writer
I've only gotten it once or twice and I just ignore it :shrug:
:iconlobosabio:
LoboSabio Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Photographer
Huh.  I haven't gotten one of those yet.  I wonder if my ad blocker is catching it. 
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Or they just haven't sent you one yet.
:icondavalon4ever:
Davalon4Ever Featured By Owner Edited Oct 11, 2018  Student General Artist
Yeah. Just got that today. Was wondering if anyone knew about what that was about.
Now we know! :aww:
:iconikrines:
IKrines Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I got one more than a month ago.
:icondanlev:
danlev Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018
Hey guys! 

This is an experimental new feature that we're trying out for a very limited time. Just to be clear, these are not sponsored deviations and these deviants did not pay us. We're just featuring artists various artists, and several of these were selected from the "Newest" sort mode, some of which would be considered "undiscovered" artists. The photographer who took the portrait of the woman, for example, had 54 pageviews total.

Thank you for all your feedback, though! While we're sad to hear that some people didn't enjoy it, but it's very helpful to hear your feedback on it! :)
:iconthirdpotato:
ThirdPotato Featured By Owner Oct 25, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
I think DA needs to make their stuff more consistent... There's a LOT of redundancy on this site that's adding to the clutter. Suggested deviations are already a thing in a big gaudy widget when you click any deviation. It shows more from their gallery, collections that they're in (which I think is unnecessary, because I don't care who else faved it?), and then related deviations.

Adding suggested deviations in the NEWS feed, where typically NEWS updates go, is confusing people. People were leaving terrible comments on those featured works, accusing them of paying deviantart BECAUSE that advertisement was featured in the same section of the inbox that paid advertisements and promotionals go. I had the same thought when I saw it in my inbox. I was wondering how the art mentioned there was related to Deviantart's website in ANY way and I spent wayyy too long trying to figure it out...

I think if DA could just organize, and minimize the amount of clutter on the site, it would get better responses. There needs to be ONE portal for finding undiscovered talent, ONE portal for all news and updates, ONE portal for finding messages, ONE portal for all things related to groups, friends, social stuff, etc....

Anyone new to this site is going to be so overwhelmed by the amount of widgets, redundant icons and buttons, the 3 vertical navigation bars, the horizontal navigation bar that only shows up when you go to your messages, and so much more @_@ Less is more! 
:iconmerryjayne13:
merryjayne13 Featured By Owner Edited Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
take it out or make a option to turn it off
:iconshadowprezident:
ShadowPrezident Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018
As long as there's an option to rurn it off idc
:iconbad-squirrell:
bad-squirrell Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018
There is something similar on Twitter. Their suggestions are based on the people who are followed by our friends.
If i watch you i like your art and maybe i would like some of the artists you watch.
:iconspaceshiplewis:
SpaceshipLewis Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
Maybe don't put opt-out features behind a paywall? DDs were an honor this was an Ad campaign for CORE. Thanks. 
:icondoc-skitz:
Doc-Skitz Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Oh my, such an intolerable inconvenience to the whiners at dA.Cry emote 

Personally, I would like to thank you for the feature. After all, what is this site about, other than promoting artists and their accomplishments?

Thanks again!
:iconhe4rt-br34k:
he4rt-br34k Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
personally, i think the feature is a redundancy because we could already browse what's hot, popular, newest, daily devs., etc. to begin with. 
:iconthusspokez:
thusspokez Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
Honestly, I would like that, have not seen this before but I love to discover new artists, especially artists that are not deviantart rockstars (yet). Maybe you can make it optional, so that people like me can have it and others can simple turn it off. 
:iconthe-hostilan-native:
The-Hostilan-Native Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
What you should do is put the DD bar back on the bottom of the message center like it used to be. I miss when that was there. Every day I'd scroll down to the bottom of my messages and see what was there, and I wouldn't have to get a giant glaring notification to see it. It would just be there without flagging me and telling me I had a new message, so I could keep my message center clear and still be able to see it. 
:icontinselfire:
Tinselfire Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018
Just put the DDs back on the front page.

I wasn't around when they were, but getting tired of hearing people complaining about it.
:iconsynderen:
synderen Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Honestly I think the intent is really great! More exposure to more artists is always nice, especially now that DDs are quite hidden. It was just the initial feedback I personally got included some pretty angry comments which was upsetting. I think the idea of people getting suggested art based on what they're submitting and/or fav'ing would be a nice route, instead of the same random pics that everyone sees :P 
:iconbloodywing:
BloodyWing Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
We saw all the comments. It's sad but know that the majority and those who didn't wrote anything at all are people that enjoy your artwork.

People on DeviantArt are very loud and direct when they complain but that is the minority.

:iconsweethugplz:
:iconcanineprince:
CaninePrince Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018   Digital Artist
Err, I don't write anything either and I'd like to not be said to enjoy any artworks there either, as many other here who didn't care can attest too. One problem is the uneven chance of exposure; some of those complaining could be those with same situation with the featured (decent arts, not much exposure if virtually at all) and didn't get their spot there. Many artists worked hard to get noticed, many of those failing to get that, and they may view this as unfair "shortcut", so those hateful comments bound to happen.
I'm not saying they're right (rude comments over this petty thing are a certain no to me, especially that even the featured have no control over it), but I'm saying this has to be considered whether they're right or not.
is it the first time this happened to you? maybe it has to do with the fact that you only have 14 faves despite being a deviant for ten years (just my speculation)
A response comment about this topic has been posted by DA staff.

You can read it here: comments.deviantart.com/18/244…
thanks. 
:iconstockpremader:
stockpremader Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018
its like you're drowning in the ocean and then someone comes and pours a bucket of water in the ocean as if there'sn't enough water 
The ocean always needs more water! That's why most rivers run to the ocean, right?
:iconphil-n-deblanc:
Phil-N-DeBlanc Featured By Owner Edited Oct 11, 2018  Professional Artist
Don't the ocean get enough water when fish and people and stuff pee in it? That's why I won't eat seafood, because of all the nasty things fish do in the water!
"That's why I won't eat seafood, because of all the nasty things fish do in the water!"

Do you also not eat anything else because of all the nasty things people and creatures do to the air or land?
Phil-N-DeBlanc Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Professional Artist
Ridicalus! Pooping and peeing on land is not the same as urine and feces saturated sea water!
:iconstockpremader:
stockpremader Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018
well i guess you answered your OP question
:)
I do not get that, perhaps because my taste in art is excellent, you on the other hand might need to be shown what real art is, and staff is aware of it. :lol:
"you on the other hand might need to be shown what real art is"

Oh ouch! lol

----

A response comment about this topic has been posted by DA staff.

You can read it here: comments.deviantart.com/18/244…
HOPE SHE REALIZES I'M KIDDING!!!
I realized. lol
:lol:
:iconfvhn:
fvhn Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018
Hmm i didnt get this yet